Night on the Town

The ruins of the ancient fort Marn along the city's western quadrant, including the Shanty Town market.
Ysole
Outsider
Name: Ysole Fornsworth
Race: Human

Night on the Town

Post by Ysole » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 am

122PW Spring

A low sigh escaped Ysole's lips as she gently placed the worn sketchbook on top of her school papers, her tired eyes peering around the empty classroom for what seemed like the tenth time that evening before nodding her approval and closing her satchel. It was the last day of teaching for the week but for her the work was never done. Where the children went and played or helped out their families, she went home and farmed or graded. Not a terrible living but a rather unadventurous one to be sure. Sighing she gently slung the bag over her shoulder, took the last remaining book off the desk and headed for the door. Being sure to lock it behind her, Ysole started down the road for the stables with her nose already buried in her book.

It was the smell that broke the book's spell, tearing away her mind from the world between the pages to stare blankly at the broken street around her. By now she had expected the smells of bakery, flowers, maybe even the distant wafting of horse manure from the stables but around her was none of these things. Realizing that she was no longer on her way home and but in fact what looked like a grimmer part of the city, she stopped in her tracks and frowned.

The high towers around her were crumbled, the buildings barely holding themselves up on cracked walls and dusted stone. The air smelled dusty and a bit like unclean cloth, yet despite it all what held her attention the most was the feeling of eyes that watched from buildings. Realizing exactly where she was, a chill went down her spine as her mind raced with the stories she'd heard of this part of the city.

"No, no. I think not." She muttered to herself sharply, turning on her heel and marching stiffly back the way she came. She mentally cursed her tunnel vision as she tried to keep her fluttering heart and shivers to a minimum. Her marching went on until the sun set low and the air grew cooler, a chill settling in when she realized she was now entirely lost. Gripping her book tightly in her hands, she glanced around the dark with a long pause before letting out a sigh, trying to imagine how one of her brave heroes would act if stuck in a seemingly endless maze.

Andras
Citizen
Name: Andras Oslun

Re: Night on the Town

Post by Andras » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:41 am

Andras was going for a walk. He didn’t want to call it a walk: he preferred to think of it as doing the rounds. Once a guard, always a guard, right? So what if his actions weren’t officially sanctioned by the government. He was still the same person, and if it was okay for him to walk the streets and beat the snot out of whomever he thought was a bastard then, it sure as hell wasn’t going to change now.

Besides, he needed the space. Today had been a rough reminder of how far he’d fallen. That rat Gregori had gotten more than a bit handsy with one of the Eyropan bitches they were sending back to their empire of birth. Andras had silently walked up behind him, dragged Gregori off the sobbing woman and beaten the shit out of him in a corner. Upon the man’s ruined corpse, Andras had dropped a handful of coins and told him to take out whatever was eating him on the local prostitutes. As far as Andras knew, Gregori had limped off to do exactly that.

He glared longingly into the nearest watering hole. Justifications crept their way into his mind until he had finally convinced himself that he could stop for a drink if he complained about Eyropan immigrants enough while he was doing it. The titres inside would point him in the right direction. There was an unspoken agreement among tavern goers: I’ll tell, but won’t ask, why you want to know where the Eyropans are.

Fortunately for Andras, it took a few drinks before anyone opened up and pointed him in the right direction. A particularly drunken fellow had laughed and told Andras that just on the way here he had seen a woman who didn’t look like she belonged in the historic district. Andras chortled along and made some lewd jokes before he all but dropped the drunk on the floor and stomped out of the building.

He’d find out who she was and how much she deserved to be sent back home. Then he’d decide what to do with her.

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 am

It had taken three circles around the same streets before she decided on her plan. Rummaging through her pack she pulled out her drawing quill and some ink before wandering over to a smooth part of the rock and made a small symbol. Making sure to add a little star to the right so she could tell which way she'd gone she marched onward, chest out proudly as she gave herself a mental pat for coming up with the idea. It was what Gregor would do after all.

As she walked, marking the symbols occasionally as she began to hum a little tune to herself. Even as the sun vanished fully from the sky and she could only see by the dim lights above, the fear completely died away as she eagerly went on her own strange adventure. Looking at it as a positive learning experience, she almost missed the guard standing off the road as she practically skipped down the grungy road.

"Hey, Miss!" She jumped a good foot, yelping as her foot caught the edge of her dress and causing her to fall. Startled she looked up in bewilderment at the laughing man, blushing a heavy red as she quickly scrambled to her feet and dusted herself off. The guard came to her side, watching her pick up her satchel with a grin. "Isn't a young lady like you a bit far from home?"

"Ah, yes. I...I'm afraid I got turned around." Ysole blushed. The guard's smile grew as he offered her his arm. She gave him a shy smile before looping hers around his.

"There's a lot of bad characters around. Wouldn't want you caught alone." Ysole felt herself relax as she was led through the various alleys and presumably back towards the main part of Marn. He didn't speak much, occasionally giving her compliments or strange jokes as they walked onward. It wasn't until he suddenly grabbed her by the arm and dragged her into a broken building that she realized she'd made a grave error. She stared in shock at the widely grinning man, his rough hands too tight as he pushed her hard against the stone wall. "What's with the look? It's what you wanted, isn't it?"

"It is...? No! I was lost!" Ysole gasped as she quickly realized his intentions, her face going even redder as she forced herself to hide the fear on her face for a more stern expression. She glared at him, puffing out her cheeks as she gave him a sharp look. "Now unhand me! This is not how you treat a lady!"

"Don't tell me how to treat a woman!" The guard snorted, not backing off but instead leaning closer until their breath mingled. The smile returned quickly to his face as he loosed a pleased growl. "Guess that how you like to play it, huh? Hard to get? Don't worry, kitty I've gotten your message loud 'n clear."

"My message is to let me go this instant!" With that Ysole swung her knee up and sent it hard against his groin plate. Pain shot through her leg as the guardsman spluttered and howled, clutching at his groin as he cursed at her as he struggled not to throw up. She snorted at him, seizing her bags and staggering her way back onto the street and running as quickly as she could with the injured knee. He may have been plated but he also didn't see her strength coming either.

She hadn't made it two blocks before he'd caught up with her again, shouting in fury as he grabbed at her satchel and yanked her back again. Panicking she did the only thing her mind could come up with as she held tight to her bag straps and lashed out at his armored chest. She screamed.

Andras
Citizen

Post by Andras » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:41 am

Andras saw the woman run. That’d be his mark. It wasn’t hard for him to tell the drunkard had been mistaken. Though she clearly didn’t belong here in the historic district, it was equally clear that she was a citizen of Marn. Or at the very least, somebody with enough connections to get Marn clothing. People might not regard him as the sharpest, but he knew his craft well. It was equally obvious she was distraught, and the reason for her discomfort became apparent very quickly.

Bloody hell, who were they letting into the guard nowadays? Andras calmly walked up. The man already couldn’t do anything, even if he hadn’t realized it. There were dozens of people staring at the spectacle. None were willing to step in, but for an asshole like this he could already tell they were memorizing his face. Street justice would be swift, but it wouldn’t help the lady much.

Andras walked up to the guardsman, paying no heed to the fact that the sordid affair had become the center of attention. He could already hear that harpy he ostensibly answered to chewing him out. He looked forward to spitting in her face later. This woman’s life was worth more than his boss’ pitiable pride.

“Hands off, pal.” Andras said. The guard turned around, indignation splaying across his face. Andras subtly pushed himself upwards with his toes. He wasn’t quite standing tiptoe, but the effect was enough to put his eyes above the other guard. Andras noted the guardsman’s youth. Andras grinned manically, his muscles tense and eager to put the pup in his place.

“What’s it to you? She wants it.”

“The fuck she does, this isn’t some Eyropan tart. Now, I may be off duty…” The guardsman’s eyes widened at the implication, which Andras reinforced with a salute, “and I respect your service, but you’re going to get your pansy ass the fuck outta here and sit it right the fuck down at headquarters, or I’ll give you such a beating you’ll never have the good fortune of patrolling for the rest of your sorry life, you little piece of shit. Have I made myself clear?”

The youngster’s eyes widened with fear, likely inspired in no small part by Andras’ impressive physique. He nodded meekly. Andras grew more drunk off his timidity than he had from all the drinks he’d imbibed. Andras smiled, and calmly sent his hand outward to the young man’s shoulder. What nobody noticed was that he had his knife in it.

“One more thing,” Andras added. The serpentine knife was abruptly pressed against the young man’s neck. It was such a tiny thing, he doubted anyone would see it. But the guard certainly felt it. He went as stiff as a virgin whore on her first night. Andras leaned in close and let the youngster smell the alcohol on his breath. “If I ever hear you hassled a lady again, I’ll chop your fucking balls off. Dismissed!”

Then he punched the guard in the face. Yeah, he was never going to hear the end of this and he was probably risking his life every moment he spent here. But he knew it was all worth it. The guard had sensed his Oslun blood on some deep level that transcended understanding. The youngster knew his betters, or at least he did now. Andras smiled at the man’s back as he scampered away. Then he turned to the woman he’d rescued.

“You’re alright.” He said as a statement instead of a question.

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 am

Ysole gaped at her rescuer before letting out a rather harsh huff, snatching her bag from the ground with a heavy snort. She gave the quickly retreating guard a sharp scowl as she mentally made a note to speak with Drayel in the morning, making sure to keep his face burned in her mind. Deciding he was well memorized she then turned to her rescuer, still huffing a little as she turned a very heavy red.

"...That was not how a gentleman of the guard ought to behave." She stated as she gently opened her bag and examined inside. Seeing nothing damaged she sighed with relief, shoulders slumping as she gave the newest man in front of her a sheepish smile. "Perhaps they ought to have you teaching the manners. Clearly you've got quite the good streak in you."

She took a minute to take him in, looking up at his face then at his body with growing curiosity. He was a handsome man, large and a bit brutish looking but sweet on the eyes. The thought of him rushing to her foolhardy rescue made her face go red again as she cleared her throat and laughed.

"I'm sorry you had to do that." She said sheepishly. "I'm afraid I don't actually know where I am and he'd offered to show me the way home. Though why he took me to an abandoned home I haven't the foggiest but all is good and dandy now, I suppose. Shame on him though, treating a lady like that! His mother would be shamed to see such behavior."

Andras
Citizen

Post by Andras » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:14 pm

“That little fucker’s lesson in etiquette will have to do.” Andras said, mixing street drawl and an aristocratic accent with uncanny ease. He hoped she was too busy looking at her bag to notice anything strange about it. Fortunately, she provided him a subject change.

“You’re lost?” Andras asked her incredulously. He put his hands on his hips. With disapproval in his voice, he looked in the direction of Marn proper and said “How the hell did you walk up the hill to the historic district without noticing?”

Andras sighed and put his hands on his hips. “Well, the whole day’s wasted at any rate. I might as well guide you out of this shithole. C’mon.”

Andras noticed that her eyes kept dropping and sliding away from his face. His expression became confused. Slightly self-conscious, he looked down to see if there was anything wrong with his outfit. He had rolled up his sleeves back at the bar and his shirt was a bit torn over his stomach, exposing finely toned muscle in both instances. Andras grew self-conscious, and rolled his sleeves back up, but lamented that he could do nothing about the rip. He grimaced at the state he had let himself drop to; these rags were fit for the thug he knew he wasn’t, and no way for an Oslun to dress.

Then it finally occurred to Andras that the exposed nature of his outfit might be exiting to her. The thought of getting a reward for his rescue did enter his mind, but he dismissed it before it was even finished. Even he had concluded that it was a notion as impractical as it was bankrupt on a Marnian lady such as this.

Still, Andras couldn’t resist throwing an ambiguous “and calm down, would you?”

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Wed May 04, 2016 9:48 pm

"I was... I'm afraid I was a bit distracted on my walk from the school house." Ysole said with a heavy blush. "I must have gotten turned around before the stables. One moment I was by the bakery and when I looked up next, I was turned around. I was finding my way back though! I left little ink symbols on the walls to show which way I'd gone."

She smiled proudly but the look quickly fell away when he said he'd lead her out, unsure if she really wanted to follow another man. Still, seeing how she had little choice and much less with a hurt knee she grimly set her mind to a fighting tactic if she came to it. Kick and run. Well, kick and hobble.

"Alright, I'll follow." Ysole stated jutting out her chin. "but I'll have you know I am not insinuating being taken anywhere for unsavory things. Not that I think you would given how you treated him, but apparently I must state it very clearly else I give the wrong impression." Realizing she may have insulted him however she quickly tried to back track. "Not that you aren't a handsome man, but I am simply not that sort of a lady! Not that there is anything wrong with that sort of profession. A woman has to make her money somehow and I suppose some men have... needs to be taken care of. Oh justice above."

With that Ysole desperately wanted to crawl in a hole, instead hiding her face in her hands as she tried to stop her babbling mouth. She couldn't have just stopped and said a simply yes please, or thank you. No, she had to make a complete ass out of herself. She'd always been terrible with men but this was beyond ridiculous.

"...I would like to be lead to the stables, if you please." She finally said, unable to look at him in the eye as she just did a little limp to the side and looked down the alley instead. She refused to see him most likely laughing at this bumbling school teacher. Heaven above knew that's how many men acted with her.

Andras
Citizen

Post by Andras » Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 am

Andras was confused. He didn’t understand what was so embarrassing about all this. Some creep tried to feel her up, some punching had happened, and he was basically the greatest thing to ever happen to this woman. A typical day, really.

“Well, the name’s Tandas” He knew it was a stupid cover, but at least when people said it his head turned. Besides, at this point it was worth it just too see the rest of the cell cringe, the paranoid bastards.

Andras shrugged at her declaration of intent, his wide shoulders rolling like waves. It wasn’t like he even cared if she was a prostitute, provided she was Marnian. Though she clearly wasn’t a mark to begin with, Andras still felt a burning need to ask after her status. “You must be from Shim, if you managed to lose your way.”

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 am

"Oh, I'm more in between the two." Ysole said with a smile. "My family owns a farm about an hour's ride away. It's a bit of a jaunt but I love the children too much to teach else where. Had my neighbor not moved and given me Misneach, I fear I would be have to reach home far past nightfall!"

As she followed the young man, she found herself laughing.

"To be quite honest, I'm glad I found you and not Sir Drayel!" She stated merrily. "He's scolded me more times than I can count on watching where I'm going, and to stay out of the alleyways. You would think he was my second father the way he acts! I'm glad Jackal has such a good influence as a Father but sometimes it is a bit much!"

Andras
Citizen

Post by Andras » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:42 am

“What, between them?” Andras’ forehead wrinkled. “That— why would anyone live out there in the Virdara? Wouldn’t it be more convenient to live… basically anywhere else? I mean, the children at least have to live in Shim, right?”

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:42 am

"Well, I'm not really sure why my stubborn father wanted to live so far away from everyone but I know Sir Drayel inherited his from his own parents after... well, after they had passed on. I guess we'd always been neighbors but we never really got to know each other." Ysole frowned at the thought, wrinkling her nose as she pondered at her past. "It makes it nice and quiet though, and so long as you know how to handle yourself against troublemakers it isn't so bad! In fact, with all the room we have a flock of sheep, a couple goats, and of course Misneach, my horse. He's quite the doll."

Of course, she knew the flaws too. She knew about the safety in numbers, how villages would help not only defend against unsavory folk but aid in farm or simply being close to a doctor. She had argued many times over moving perhaps a bit closer, if not in Marn then the outskirts of the city. Each time she got a stubborn 'no' and that was the end of it. She sighed.

"The water from the well hardly tastes foul, and the birds sing lovely this time of year. In the city, you hardly hear anything but people and man-made things." She said pausing to look up at the sky with a growing smile. "There is a pair of doves that roost in our barn, and a funny hare who takes naps on our porch in the summer. It's truly a great place."

She beamed proudly, her smile wide and content as she looked up at him and laughed cheerily.

"You should come and see it, if you're walking our way. We have plenty of fruit and cheese to spare and it really is a sight to see." She stated happily. "Not tonight, of course. It's too late for that but another time. I'm sure my parents would love to meet you. Mother could even fix your shirt! Not that you don't look good, even in rags. Or that there is anything wrong with your clothes. Either way, an empty belly or a patched shirt you'll always be welcome I'm sure." Ysole finished as she resumed walking once more, humming a cheerful ditty as she peered around the darkening street.

Andras
Citizen

Post by Andras » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am

“Yeah,” Andras said, drawing the word out for a fair deal longer than he had to. His thoughts jumbled around in his head, slowly realizing that he couldn’t really afford to have an upstanding woman like this nosing around in his affiars. He probably shouldn’t be associating with this woman more than he already had.

He probably shouldn’t have done anything in the first place.

Fortunately, the historic district was far from difficult to traverse. It was well past time he distanced himself from her. “I’m a busy man, so I’ll have to pass on that. It’s been a pleasure, but I trust you can find your way to the road from the city proper.” Andras waved a hand to indicate that the city was just a short walk down the hill.

“Best of luck out there.”

Ysole
Outsider

Post by Ysole » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:33 am

"You as well! I do hope you'll visit again!" Ysole said already rushing off towards home, stopping just enough to peer back and smile. "I'm glad we have met! I'll be sure to watch my way the next time. Good day to you!"