The Kitsune's Legacy

Between Marn and Shim, along the Ofriyu Mar river, is a stretch of dense woodland known as the Virdara Woods.
Kitan
Staff
Name: Kitan Valyra
Race: Fox Shifter

Re: The Kitsune's Legacy

Post by Kitan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Kitan giggled happily at his playmate’s mimicry. “No, not at all. Well, I mean, Shade can be a butt sometimes but I think he means well.” He blushed a little, “I guess I sort of already said that, huh? Well, Gia is nice, I think you’ll like her. I think she’s lonely and likes meeting other shifters, but she gets frustrated with Shade all the time so maybe not.”

He thought about it, flicking his ear idly as he spoke. It brushed along the rough bark of the tree behind his head, causing him to flinch before he continued. “I guess that means she’s more okay with other shifters than most werewolves, since she seems to like me. B-but not in that way!” He didn’t want Isis to get the wrong idea there.

Kitan continued to prattle in this manner for some time, telling her everything about his encounters with the werewolves. He liked telling her and she seemed willing to listen, so it wasn’t long before he had told her whatever she wanted. His actions poured from his lips, from Shade teaching him to fight, the delusions he had encountered on the way, Gia’s odd entry, and his eventual escape from the Hand of Teonidus guardsman and the farm, which ended with meeting her.

“And that’s all I know about them, I guess. Sorry, I guess I really went on and on there, didn't I?” He looked up into the sky. As the son of a woodsman he had always found it rather intuitive to judge the time by the sun, but there were too many branches here. He considered hopping up into a tree to get a better look, but realized he didn't have much of an idea of when the conversation had started; he hadn’t been paying attention then.

He hopped up into a tree to look anyways. Climbing was fun!

Hakujoumi
Outsider
Name: Hakujoumi
Race: Kitsune

Post by Hakujoumi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:25 am

Kitan launched into a lengthy, rambling story about how he had come across and befriended two werewolves. The boy's less-than eloquent style of story-telling might have bored anyone else to tears. Isis, however, carefully listened and watched the boy's expressions as he spoke excitedly.

The werewolves were animals he described just he might any other regular person. Perhaps to him, werewolves were merely shifters like himself who had no other traits inherent to their race. From experience, Isis of course knew better than that. Every word Kitan spoke, Isis waited for him to even hint at some horrible flaw in either of the wolves. The male in particular, she knew was a cruel beast. There was no such thing as a male werewolf who was not. Perhaps some exception from a creature who was not a true werewolf was indeed possible, but Isis knew those born as the race. They were killers, unable to control their own animal urges and instincts.

They were as much animals as a creature of the forest, incapable of real thought or future projection. Isis, Kitan, and their kind were masters of the world. They were creatures born of Changers, not bastards of Pal Tahrenor's mixture with the Astral Plane.

As Kitan went on, Isis casually slipped down onto her side, laying down with her head propped up on her hand, elbow in the dirt. Her ears were fully forward, taking in every word. Occasionally she would laugh with him, or sigh, apparently enthralled by his story.

"No, not at all!" Isis watched him debate with himself, and then begin climbing a tree. Isis was quick to follow him, rather enjoying the feeling of bark and moss against a human hand. The skin was so naked and sensitive to little touches in the contours; it wasn't like a paw pad at all. Part of her hated the vulnerability of her palms, as her youthful appearance also destroyed any callouses she had had before.

The two foxes parted the branches and peeked at the son. The rays weren't as warm on her skin as they had been earlier, and it was lower in the sky. "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to meet them." They sounded rather brutish, as expected. But, Isis would follow Kitan's lead no matter what he wanted.
shaam hai, jaam hai, aur hai nasha

Kitan
Staff
Name: Kitan Valyra
Race: Fox Shifter

Post by Kitan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 am

The pair of kitsune attempted to track down the werewolves, but there was little they could do to find them. They waited by the house for some time, but the hunt must have gone long. Neither lycanthrope returned home for over three hours.

Kitan was eventually forced to leave the Virdara Woods. He might be irresponsible at his worst, but he was loyal to his postal duties. It was work he enjoyed and did not want to lose: all the more now that he knew messenger work was the divine calling of kitsune. He would imagine for the next several days that every hour of work was training to do the same thing for a goddess.

He parted with Isis amicably, giving her another heartfelt embrace. He told her as much as he could about his place of residence, even up to the point of starting to explain his father’s home before he realized the chance of anything driving him away from Marn was minimal. They made plans to meet up again on his next day off.

He was tempted to stop by his father’s to fill him in on having finally found another kitsune, but decided that he had already delayed long enough. Kitan did not want to be tired tomorrow morning, and knew that he would be inclined to talk his father’s ear off about the matter. Besides, Kitan was delighted at the prospect of returning to his father in fox form, weaving illusions with twice the ease of cloth and free from delusions.

He admitted privately that such thoughts were wishful thinking, even as he pranced about Marn delivering message after message. He whispered little prayers to Inari under his breath after the completion of each one, secretly hoping it would grant him some kind of insight to impress Isis with when she found him again.

He told the postmaster, Nolan, everything about Isis. As usual, Nolan gave Kitan no indication that he was actually listening. He was a strange man, but Kitan had grown used to his emotional distance. He was sure some of it got through.

With a letter writing hand so scratchy as to be indecipherable, Kitan began keeping a journal of his delusions. This wound up saving him when one of the younger kids working to deliver mail got ahold of it. The poor child was so confused by the runic writing, he thought it was a “secret fox language” before Nolan dragged him away.

Kitan suffered through three further delusions over the next three days, two on the first day and one on the second. All were in response to illusions cast, as usual. After the first one, Kitan had the idea to record those as well. Growing concerned that it could be used against him, he eventually purchased a small lock to put on the trunk he kept it in; never mind his still frequent use of illusions.

When the day finally came, Kitan was curled up on his bed. His tail was wrapped around his legs, which were held close to his chest. With his arms reaching around that, he had the log of delusions open and a pen in hand. He had cast an illusion of a ball to toss through the air and distract an unruly looking dog that morning, and was expecting another delusion to follow it.

Truth be told, he could have easily outmaneuvered the dog. He was hoping the delusion wouldn’t spring quickly so he would have an excuse to stay with Isis longer than he might otherwise have. Considering how random they seemed to be, he figured he had pretty good odds of it not springing for the whole day.

He looked out the window whimsically and wondered when she would arrive. His finger absentmindedly wandered up to his lips, remembering the brief kiss they had shared and wondering what it meant.
The Dreaded App Assassin

Hakujoumi
Outsider
Name: Hakujoumi
Race: Kitsune

Post by Hakujoumi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 pm

The life for Isis between Kitan's days off was quite different. Where the boy was hard at work, loyal as ever to his duties and happy to embrace his delightful ignorance about the world, Isis was caught up in her own world. She led her life in her own form of ignorance, a self-created play with characters moulded from the clay of real people.

She was mistress to at least one man in Shim, likely several, going by many pseudonyms and avatars.

Her home life was one of mystery. It was unclear how often she appeared as a fox versus woman. It was unclear how and what she ate. None knew that side of her.

The fond memory of Kitan drew her back to him on the day they had agreed. The noon sun coated her in energy. The sky had dredged up a curtain of cloud during the past hour, but it made the peaks of light all the more satisfying on her red hair. She had changed form into the girl Kitan had met with, though no detail of her suggested she might be kitsune. To the onlookers of bird and rodent variety in the woods, she looked wholly human. Her young mind made colours wonderfully vibrant. Each leaf on every tree she walked past had a sort of vigour to it, an energy that she fed off of. She danced her way through the woods in bare feet and a cream-coloured frock of cotton material. The hem was lined with soil and grass stains from episodes of tree climbing that had never actually occurred.

When she found the house, Isis peered through each window until she saw Kitan spread across his bed. Smiling rather slyly, she hid herself from view for a moment, placed her hands together as if in prayer, and conjured the image of daisy petals falling from Kitan's bedroom ceiling right in front of his face. They drifted almost like feathers, light and silly. They had weight and feeling to them were one to touch or catch one.

Isis broke the illusion and they disappeared. She stuck her head through the open window, and her free falling red hair slipped over the sill.
"Hi!" She giggled.
shaam hai, jaam hai, aur hai nasha