The Smithy

All things outside of Thar Shaddin.
Aryth Gyarin
Outsider
Name: Aryth Hulithian Gyarin
Race: Dwarf

The Smithy

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:41 am

In a hilly area about three miles from town, situated in an outcrop of boulders, is a smithy. a simple smithy about 30 feet by 45 feet, and reaching about 15 foot at its highest point. its three walls were made of rough cut lumber and it had an open side facing a wall of boulders about ten meters away. the roof was about eight foot high at the back wall were the forge was situated. it sloped upward to fifteen feet at the open side facing the boulders.
Aryth stood bent over an anvil, tinkering with a finial for a customer. with a sigh he stood up and grabbed the cherry red iron with a pair of tongs and dunked it in a half barrel full of black oil, which seethed and bubbled with protest. finally when the oil quit Aryth pulled the finial out of the oil and set it on a wadded up cloth. "not bad, it'll need polishin'... i reckon. but pretty good for wrought iron."in truth it was an exceptional piece. there were flowers and people and birds all intertwined in the design and lightly tapped into the iron. the oil bath served to solidify the iron and make it so that the designs wouldn't be marred when struck. aryth pulled off his leather apron and wiped his brow, the sweat rolled of his hands and forehead and showed no sign of stopping. "Blast this midsummer heat, time for lunch and a beer."
Aryth set his apron on the anvil and turned to go.

Steven J Matthews
Outsider
Name: Steven Joshua Matthews
Race: Half-Gnome

Re: The Smithy

Post by Steven J Matthews » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Steven awoke late several mornings after deciding to set out on his own, and after leaving his mother to her continue her life as a mechanic, and enjoy her time with one of her many lovers. He quickly hoped off his cot, and scurried over to his cluttered workbench. He had rented a small one room tenement in Marn, and purchased a cot to sleep on, and equipment to start his quest to become a great gnomish mechanic.

Steven quickly started looking threw a small stack of papers, and found a blueprint he had been working on. He wanted to go out, and see the world, and knew that he would need protection. The blueprint was for a long crossbow, which allowed the crossbow to generate more force than normal. It's lath needed to be made of a flexible metal, and was mildly longer than normal, but not proportionally so. Steven also had the blueprint for a self powered windlass for the crossbow which runs off the power of when the crossbow is fired. The windlass would be extremely delicate though, and he would have to take care not to put it under to much stress which would destroy it.

Steven set out soon after for a smithy he had heard was able to manufacture some odd requests. Most of the crossbow was normal, but the parts for the windlass were defiantly not. He made his way out of town, and after a long walk he found the smithy at the boulders, he was told to look for. He smiled at the thought of creating such a wonderful device (although he had to rely on more conventional methods rather than the innate power of gnomes) and be able to set out into the world a little safer.

As Steven neared the smithy, he spotted a stout, swarthy dwarf with a long, red, braided ponytail. Judging by his apparel, and the sweat running down his brow, Steven guessed him to be the smithy. Steven smiled, and called, "Hail good Dwarf!" Although the day was fairly young, and hot, Steven was overly enthused.

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Aryth had just come out of his smithy when just a few moments later he was hailed form his (( OoC:Left or right?)). turning his whole body to meet the comer he raised a hand to placate the suns harsh blaze. "Oi, yah!, Aryth at your service! Who be it, raising up out of the glare like demon from the pits of Braz-Du Gul?" it was meant as a kindly greating and a slight chastising for startling him, but there was no maliciousness in his voice. Aryth pronounced his name with a long AHR-uh-th, as it was in the dwarven tounge.
aryth reached into the smithy and grabbed his tankard of beer and trudged out to meet the comer. finaly the haze around the rocks let up as the two came closer to each other, and Aryth saw who he was. "By GrimJaws beard! a gnome... they always need some sort of crafty workings." he muttered to himself, well out of earshot of the gnome for now.

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:40 pm

((OOC: That depends on the location of your smithy. If you're situated over the Ofriyu Mar then most likely from the south west. Otherwise (I am coming from town, and more specifically the Residential District) whichever direction you are in relation to Marn.))

Steven continud towards the Dwarf as he called back, "Oi, yah! Aryth at your service! Who be it raising up out of the glare like a demon for the pits of Braz-Du Gul?" He chuckled at the Dwarf's obviously playful, and cheeky response. As they grew closer Steven called out again to answer, "Steven Matthews my stout friend," seeing the tankard in the Dwarf's hand Steven guessed it was lunch at the smithy. He slowed his pace realizing he had a time to wait before business anyway, and continued, "I see you're in the middle of your midday meal, and I hope you don't mind me joining you until you return to business."

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 am

(( OoC: directly west of marn, about three and a half miles south of the ofriyu, if i have figured correctly))

By the time the gnome had finished introducing himself aryth found himself within a few arm lengths of the fellow. "I dont mind at all, the missus is always coplainin about the lack'o company out here. she'd be delighted, you'll have some beer of course? I think she has some venison on the broil... are you a mite peckish?... Ne'er mind that, ye will be, bout the time ya smell it."
it was lucky for the two of them that Steven had come from the direction he had, because now they were only a few feet from the door to his subterranean home. it was mined out of the hillside and looked like a hobbit hole, but seven foot high instead of four.the door however was completely different. from the outside you couldn't tell there was someone living in the hill. it looked like a hill with a bunch of boulders strewn here and there in clumps. Aryth stopped at the nearest clump and slid a key on a string from around his neck and stuck it in a seemingly paper-thin crack, turning it three times, then pulled it out. The locking mechanism was a design of his own, an intricate setup of cogs and sprockets, gears and axles and thirteen counterweights.
the boulder slid into the ground and stopped perfectly level with there feet, the top surface of the stone was polished smooth. inside the walls and floor were hewn from one huge expansive marble outcrop that made up much of the hills bulk. the walls and ceiling were polished to a mirror finish and from the cieling hung great chandeliers of silver and caged lanterns of blue and purple crystals.
When the boulder finished sliding in to place a smell so breath taking mouth watering, that if he were to walk into an empty kitchen he would have to eat his beard for the hunger that crept up in his stomach. "after you, my friend..." aryth said, motioning to his new acquaintance.

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

When Aryth, and Steven were only a few feet away from each other, Aryth replied, "I don't mind at all, the missus is always complainin' about the lack o' company out here. She'd be delighted, you'll have some beer of course? I think she has some venison on the broil. Are you a mite peckish? Ne'er mind that, ye will be, bout' the time ya smell it."

Steven was overjoyed at the Dwarf's hospitality. Aryth drew a key from around his neck, and slid it into a crack on a boulder near the pair. He turned it several times, and the boulder moved into the ground. Steven smiled at the realization that this Dwarf knew engineering as well, and was quickly warming up to him. "After you my friend," Aryth said, and by the time he finished his invitation, Steven had already taken a few steps towards the delicious smell coming from inside, "Thank you Aryth. You're generosity is great, and you're wife's skill at cooking seems even greater," Steven responded, and chuckled.

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Aryth felt a lasting friendship was being made at that moment and felt a sudden surge of nostalgia."Mathews, my friend. I know we just met and all... but i have a good feeling about you."turning head and walking forward the boulder slid up behind them. aryth called out, "Ma'Lady, we've a guest for lunch and by the smell of it, dinner too! HAR Ha RAH." aryth wandered through a hallway into the kitchen and dinning room and was watchful that his new friend never got lost.
Aryth pulled out two chairs and said make yourself comfortable, look around if you like but wander too far, it a big huose. He went back into the kitchen and grabbed a pint for his friend ((OoC because dwarven steins are about three liters))
and filled it with a clear amber liquid, grabbing a lime and kissinghis wife on the way out.
"so what're you needing crafted my stout friend?" he set the beer on a coaster in front of the gnomes chair and the lime on a napkin.

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Steven found that he, and Aryth turned into another hall when Aryth piped up, "Matthews, my friend. I know we just met and all, but i have a good feeling about you." As they entered the kitchen, and dining area Aryth called out no doubt to his wife, "Ma'Lady, we've a guest for lunch and by the smell of it, dinner too!" and let out a deep laugh.

Steven pulled his small knapsack off his back setting it beside the table. He took a seat, and Aryth left for a moment into the Kitchen. He returned a few moments later, and set down a stein of ale, and a lime for him. "So what're you needing crafted my stout friend?" he asked Steven.

Steven smiled, and he quickly rummaged threw his bag, finally finding what he sought. He pulled out a sheet of parchment nearly as long as he was tall unrolling it partially for Aryth to see. "This is a blueprint for a self cocking crossbow. I've had the idea for many years, and started working on the design nearly a year ago today." He held out the blueprint offering Aryth to take it, and study it if he desired as he continued, "The crossbow is fairly simple when it comes to the stock, lathe, and string apart form it being made completely of metals." Steven squeezed the lime into the ale, and took a large gulp of the cold brew, "The windlass however requires a large assortment of cogs, springs, and many other delicate pieces, to be able to allow it to be powered by the force of the string, and lathe firing the bolt, to cock itself, and allow for a constant, fast firing."
Last edited by Steven J Matthews on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

aryth listened as Steven produced a blueprint for his design. "This is a blueprint for a self cocking crossbow. I've had the idea for many years, and started working on the design nearly a year ago today." He held out the blueprint and Aryth took it to study while Steven continued. he noted a lot of small moving parts but also the body would be made entirely of metal which would be heavier than a trolls left leg. he would have to suggest something that he had been working on for the last six years. "The crossbow is fairly simple when it comes to the stock, lathe, and string apart form it being made completely of metals." Aryth put his finger in the parchment and gingerly traced the parts as Steven was narrating. "The windlass however requires a large assortment of cogs, springs, and many other delicate pieces, to be able to allow it to be powered by the force of the string, and lathe firing the bolt, to cock itself, and allow for a constant, fast firing."this was definitely Stevens baby. he could almost hear the loving tones in his voice as he spoke.
Aryth took a breath and tapped a finger on his mug, thinking in which order to list the problems. "well my friend, you have made yourself a fine hole to throw your beshini into. I'll start with the basics. spring steel is expensive, up to fifty beshini for half an ounce, and looking at the arm components you should figure at about four hundred to five hundred beshini on that alone. Not to mention the expenditure of time it takes to make a spring. days of tempering, and weeks more of fine tuning. you are in luck that i had a fascination for making springs in my youth, as i have several lengths and sizes on hand."
Aryth paused to let that sink in... taking a swig from his tankard. "then there is the body... the stock i should say. your looking at fifty pounds of metal in the stock alone, if you want any kind of iron derivative metal. ferris-aluminite would rid you af about ten pounds and then your still looking at a eighty pound crossbow. but... well i will show you." Aryth got up and crossed over to a poker next to the fireplace. he grabbed it up and swung it the ground lightly. it shattered into about forty pieces. "its a hard metal, with a low tinsel strength. now look at this." he crossed over to the fireplace again and puased at a display of one hundred and eighty flasks, some with oil in them and others without it. all of them contained about an ounce of different metals. he reached up and plucked a vial filled with oil and a pasty white metal.
he brought it back to the table and unplugged the vial and poured it into a small bowel that had been resting on the table. fishing the piece of metal out he grabbed it in both hands and started kneading it like dough. "this is potassium. it is extremely reactive with water, watch." he pinched a tiny, very tiny, piece off of it and placed it in a glass of water. the potassium instantly started sparking and than it gave a small explosion and was gone. the water was now boiling. "the problem of crafting with this metal are two-fold. it is extremely malleable, and you just saw the other problem." he poured the oil back into the vial and placed the hunk of volatile metal back into its home, stoppering it with a cork. "what if i told you i could make your stock weigh less than ten pounds, and so durable you could kill a troll with it?"

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Steven frowned for a moment, and took a swig of ale. As much as he had planned for a few of the flaws Aryth had pointed out, and of course he had understood the immense costs, he didn't realize the enormity of different metals, and alloys. He began to respond to the weight issue, "I understand that this crossbow will not be light, and I hoped that an aluminium stock would allow it to be light enough to be at least mounted, when used," Steven's smile slowly came back as he continued, "I should also think the stock doesn't need as much mass if it's made of aluminium, because of it's increased strength."

Steven took another swig from his tankard, and continued with the last flaw, "I also realize that I will not be leaving this tenday with a completed crossbow, I am here to see if you are capable of making one of my dreams a reality, which I do believe to be true. Now I am truly intrigued, since my own design for the stock leaves me at quite a disadvantage, how is it you could make it so durable, and still that light?" Steven inquired.
Last edited by Steven J Matthews on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 am

Aryth's excitement gleamed in his eyes. he had been bursting to try the new alloy he had created. Steven countered aryths warnings with well thuoght and meticulously planned answers. his last statement almost had Aryth giggling like a schoolboy. "-how is it you could make it so durable, and still that light?" steven said. aryth couldnt help but chuckle at least a little. "i am sorry my friend, this must seem to good to be true. but i assure you i am no prankster. the metal i have made is called Durillium. its not an element like sulfer or iron, its an alloy but Durillium sounds better than
Potassium-dichloride-photo-phosphate-magnesium-carbonate alloy. don't you think?" Aryth got up and guestured for Steven to wait for a minute and dissappeared into a hallway, returning about a minute later with a satin wrapped object and a set of scales and weights.
he set the three objects down on the table and unwrapped the satin. there lay a brick of silvery white metal, about 4 x1 x1 inches. and a bar of iron with the same dimensions. "this is iron, it weighs about-" here he set the iron bar on the scales. "-about eight and a quarter pounds. this-" he set aside the iron and picked up the silvery white brick."- is Durillium. it weighs... just under sixteen ounces, or less than a pound. that means it weighs less than one eighth the weight of an equal amount of mass of iron... here is the kicker." aryth produced a knife about eight inches long not including the handle. he threw the iron ingot up and brought the knife down in a zigzag two stroke pattern. the ingot became three smaller ingots laying on the floor. "and still sharp enough to shave with." he said, laying the knife on the table and gently pushing it into reach of Steven, careful not to let it fly off the table, lest he hurt the gnome. "that knife weighs about twelve ounces and i bet i could slice right through my anvil with it. this metal is resistant to almost every type of corrosion imaginable. it has survived every test i put it through and i've only sharpened it once. it will be easy for me to make the individual parts, but you'll have to advise me on the fine tunings. there is just one problem... i havent found any metal that will scratch it much less cut through it. so if ever it needs repairs it will be useless untill you can get to a shop with all the parts you need, and a welding torch."

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Steven was astounded. For such an alloy to exist, would be the greatest luck that had ever befallen him. His smile was nearly ear to ear, and he jumped up in his chair as he reached for the knife. He scooped it up in hand, and admired it's intellectual beauty. It was a nearly perfect alloy if what Aryth said was true, and he dearly hoped so. "It's the diamond of alloys," he exclaimed, ad he adored it.

Steven's mind jumped to the final problem, and his smile only diminished slightly, because he knew meeting the cost was only a matter of time. "I don't have much Bishan at the moment, but today was merely a consolation if you will," Steven said, "Before I take my leave though, would you be able to give me an estimate of the costs, and if it would be acceptable to pay over time?" Steven hoped off the chair, and started rummaging threw his bag again, trying to find a small pouch of Bishan for a down payment.
Last edited by Steven J Matthews on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:49 am

Aryth sat for a moment, listening to his friend give him praises and began to blush slightly, no one had ever given him such high praises without wanting something in return. as the gnome rummaged through his person he stood up and raised a figner to catch the gnomes attention. "that is a good question. why not... make it a trade? if you would be agreeable, then while I am forging the parts and alloys necessary- the alloy requires about three weeks of slow tempering to achieve the properties you need- that you could design for me a self propelling bellows, with different settings to attain different temperatures. the bellows work comprises almost sixty percent of a smiths work, and about a third of the time required to make an order is allotted for bellows pumping alone." aryth new that the gnome was a little short on beshini bythe look in his eyes when he mentioned the previous prices for the iron, and he really did need a new forge and bellows. "also, I could use a good mechanical eye when i make my new pit forge, so whatever cost is left over from making your crossbow you can pay off by helping me with that. what do you think?"
Aryth knew there was no way the gnome could shovel out about three thousand beshini for the nine and a half pounds of durillium it would require for the crossbow, and he didn't mind losing out forty or fifty beshini in the deal. if we start tomorrow we can have the plans drawn up for the bellows and i can start smelting the alloy, while it smelts i will have about three days of sitting time to tinker and fine tune the gears and cogs. i might even make you the cable for free... i have always wanted to try cable-smithing."

Steven J Matthews
Outsider

Post by Steven J Matthews » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Even before Aryth had finished explaining his proposition, Steven had already started pondering how to create a self powered bellows, "Their is no force created by the bellows that could be utilized, since the air flow would be in an area that was to hot for the mechanics requires," Steven thought to himself. When Steven again focused in on Aryth he was in the middle of saying, "If we start tomorrow we can have the plans drawn up for the bellows, and I can start smelting the alloy."

Steven's mind again raced with the problem at hand, and his mind flashed back to his childhood, and more specifically an old cuckoo clock he had taken apart. The bellows in the cuckoo clock lead Steven to the solution. Steven again focused in on Aryth as he was finishing, "I have always wanted to try cable-smithing." Steven grinned widely as he responded to Aryth saying that they could start drawing up the plans tomorrow, "I could have your plans for the bellow drawn up by the morning. All it would take would be to set up your bellows like a cuckoo clock, with interchangeable weights to differ the speed."

Aryth Gyarin
Outsider

Post by Aryth Gyarin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Aryth knew that the gnome knew what he was talking about. he tell by carriage, and the manner in which he spoke. "that sounds wonderful. we could probably-" here Aryth was cut off by a small cough from behind him. turning he saw Hulithian standing there gracefully, hands clasped behind her back. "lunch is ready, dear." and then she stole back to the kitchen and returned again and again, bringing tray after tray of food. all thought of crafting was thrown to the wind as aryth breathed in. the smell was heartily intoxicating.
"oh yeah! Are you hungry yet steven?"