Peanuts and Beer...

The farms and houses of Shim, a single inn known as the Red Chalice, and an old manor on a hill overlooking it all to the north.
Illilli
Citizen
Race: Unknown

Peanuts and Beer...

Post by Illilli » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:45 pm

It had been a few days since the incident at the jail. She knew that the guard was not looking for someone of her current description. Not that she was particularly inconspicuous. Her hair looked almost holographic in the candlelight. It glinted red one way, blue the other and purple if one was especially lucky. A small eye tooth peeked over her lips as she grinned to her self reaching for a peanut and taking a sip of the somewhat flat but semi-tasty ale. She was learning how to adapt to this new way of life though she did wish she knew a way to return to a human form again.

She had retooled her leather traveling gear so that she wore her wide leather split skirt hung a bit more comfortably over her tail and the delicate flaps of wing-skin that extended down her sides. She had learned that the stretch of skin, though a pain to costume around was very important in keeping her ass from hanging in the air. Hooked metal braces stretched out and around the tender skin keeping tension in her clothing but not interfering with her wings. the leather was open down the sides to her mid-thigh to accommodate the lower span of her wings. The halter looped around her neck and fastened suspender-like to her pants. Yet again she was thankful that she wasn't monsterously busty or she would have had quite a challenge remaining modest.

She had returned the cloak Joy had stolen for her when they were escaping the guard to as close as she could remember to the line they had aquired it from. After selling a stretch of the bobin lace she had been working on she had been able to aquire a much more comfortable, serviceable, yet heavily worn cloak of her own. She'd also had a little coin left over to treat herself.

She half stretched her wings under her cloak and her brilliant blue eyes sparkled as she contemplated the drink before her.

"Oh, this is such a nice treat..."

The inn was rather quiet and not just because she was still receiving concerned and curious looks. There were few patrons in the Red Chalice this night. Illilli allowed herself to drowse abit as she slowly peeled another peanut from the bowl.

Geldenwing
Citizen
Race: Fairy

Glitter Bug

Post by Geldenwing » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Geldenwing was curious. She'd been sitting on the topmost shelf of the bar, next to a bottle which dwarfed her size, watching the various patrons. The entire day had passed without too much incident, something she could see the bartender was grateful for. He cleaned the various mugs, tankards, and cups with an occasional sigh of relief that for once, there was no "excitement" to break up inside the inn. Lately, though, the guard had been stern and quick with their punishment, so perhaps the locals knew that bar fights weren't worth it just now.

Gelden leaned forward as drunk after drunk proclaimed the inn's ale to be horrible. She giggled at the expletives and other colorful descriptions of how terrible the drink was, but the most amusing were the garbled musings of the less lucid men.

She'd come into the tavern for warmth and a place to hide. She'd found that it was much easier to hide behind bottles 3 times her size, than to flit back and forth in some human's pantry, trying to stay out of sight. Inevitably, they noticed a glitter in the corner of their eye, and shooed her out. So here she was, where almost anyone was welcome and no one would shoo her out.

Well, maybe. Nevertheless, she'd kept out of the tender's sight, just to be safe.

But when yet another man expressed his disgust with the ale, then promptly finished his serving, she couldn't stand the curiosity any longer. She simply had to find someone to ask this burning question. Otherwise she'd lose her little mind.

Now, to find a likely subject. The men were out of the question; most of them were beyond speaking clearly, but she couldn't help the innate paranoia she felt when she saw them. Something about men to avoid, but she couldn't remember what. Better not to ask herself and keep looking.

The dragon lady was the only other female present, besides the barmaids, and she didn't look like she'd let some man slobber on her. She had wings, and Geld reasoned that wings were definitely a strong enough similarity to start with. She looked about for the tender - wouldn't do for him to see her coming from behind his bottles - then fluttered into the open air and toward the lady. She landed just before the woman, dainty on her feet, and strutted to the woman's drink to reach up, grasp the rim of the mug, and pull herself high enough to peek over the edge into the murky liquid.

"Why do you drink this nasty stuff? And there's not a person in here who hasn't said it's not, so don't pretend you like it!"

She turned a tiny accusing glare up at the lady, waiting on an appropriate response.

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:17 pm

"Honestly... It is a bit flat, but I haven't had the coin to buy better since I left home and its already paid for... so I'm not gonna waste it... Besides its hard to screw up the peanuts that come with it..."

Illilli grinned and tossed a shelled peanut to the little faerie, and started shelling another.

"I thought your folk mostly prefered to be out in the forest... My folks would talk about fey folk but you are the first I've seen... As for my folk... Nobody told me about this," here she spread her wings, "when I was younger... I got very scared and the next thing I knew I was trying bust out of my leather clothes... I had to be cut free.... Not much fun. Now...My name is Illilli and I came to town to find some work though I've only managed to sell one bit of bobbin lace. How about you? Where are you from and what are you up to?"

Geldenwing
Citizen

Psh!

Post by Geldenwing » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:31 am

Gelden sidestepped the flying peanut, which was half her entire body size. She snorted at the dragon lady, which could have been an opinion on her explanation or her wings. The little faerie just shook her head.

"I guess that's ok...be glad you have wings! They're much more exciting than walking everywhere."

Geldenwing took to the air and put herself eyes-to-eye with the larger woman as she introduced herself. Something about the name tugged at her ear, trying to make her remember something, and those wings seemed familiar, from a far distant time...

The faerie ignored her brain and grabbed the tip of Illilli's nose, wiggling it in a mockery of a handshake.

"I'm Geldenwing! People call me Gelden or Geld, I guess 'cause they're lazy or somethin'. Do you think so?"

The faerie settled on the rim of Illilli's cup, circling the flagon on her tiny little tippy-toes.

"What do YOU think?"

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:28 am

Illilli giggled at the nose tweak and grinned.

"I guess so... Folks just seem to have troubles writing my name down... Those who can actually write that is. My family seemed to be very fond of names in palindrome or near palindrome... All those I's and L's have made a few innkeeps stare at me... Well before THIS happened. Supposedly my name is variation on one of my ancestor's names. My parents focussed me more on practical studies rather than history and myth though... I'm finding I wish they'd told me what little stories they had known..."

Illilli yawned and stretched just a little, flexing her wings under her cloak just a bit.

"I have only flown once so far so I'm still getting the hang of it. But it certainly made it alot easier to get back to the forest from town. I do miss my home out on the farm. I used to roam that forest quite a bit."

She pursed her lips alittle as she thought of all the things she had seen since she had gotten into town. "This place has been quite different... I saw a rampaging dragon, I broke one of its horns off by throwing my little dutch oven at it; and fire demon, some scary hybrid people and people who see things and talk to things I can't see... There was this one big guy who helped me out of a bit of trouble a couple of days back... And this one guy would laugh and had a thing for strangely colored mushrooms..."

Illilli started to ramble as the reliving the stress of the past few days caught up with her again.

Geldenwing
Citizen

Sparkle

Post by Geldenwing » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:42 am

Gelden plopped herself onto the edge of Illilli's drink, swinging her legs as she made herself comfortable. The balance was precarious, but she was a faerie, after all.

As the woman's stress poured out in a jumbled mass of people and events, Geld's eyes widened in amazement. This woman was exciting! Maybe she could hitch a ride or something! She was too little for the woman to refuse; Geld knew how to hide very well.

"Gosh, that stuff sounds mighty dangerous!" Her little voice drifted up, barely noticeable above the general clink and clatter of a tavern.

"Tell me more about it all! I love a good story!"

Gelden was bouncing on the rim in excitement now, waiting for Illilli to tell a real live story. She loved stories! This could be even better than she'd thought before!

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:54 am

"Well...." she paused to pop a peanut in her mouth and offer the other one to Geldenwing before continuing.

"First I came into town and I heard some rumors of undead near the old fort... and then I met this one gal who wore a HUGE cloak.. about as big as mine is with my wings under it... and someone who was part something else.... kinda like a daemon..." she paused for breath before continuing.

"But they eventually followed some other guys elsewhere and I saw all this smoke and fire in another part of town... so I ran to go help... and there was this Inn, right... and it was on FIRE!" Illilli hugged herself just a little bit.

"My markings were itching like crazy and changing colors.... they always did that when I got scared or agitated... but it kinda stopped once I got my breath back... Ok... so there was this Scary looking dragon lady and a fire demon just burning up the inn... I saw these two people, I think they were magic users, and the dragon made as if to go eat the one who was a lady... sitting on a crate... So I threw my cook pot at her, the dragon I mean. I actually hit her and knocked off one of her horns. And then this big crate came flying at me, I guess the guy near the gal I tried to save threw it at me somehow." Here Illilli decided it would be best to whisper to the little faerie so she leaned in close. Illilli hoped her breath wasn't too bad...

"Ok. So I picked up the horn, its in my backpack, and for some reason the demon and the dragon left. I looked around at the carnage but most of the people were dead. I Couldn't do anything to help... Then the Guard came and picked me up for what they called Questioning... Only they didn't bother to question me they just locked me up! Can you believe it? I didn't do anything much except maybe get a little retaliation for that monster rampaging..."

Illilli was frowning at this point. "But atleast all they took away was my belt knife... They let me work on my bobbin lace some... Then they stuck this other guy in.... The one with the thing for laughing and strange colored mushrooms? yeah... And then there was this huge guy in the next cell only I don't think I got his name... He seemed to hear and see things that weren't there... And then this other gal... She seemed to have broken her ribs somehow. Well I ask for some water and the guard is nice and gives it to me and then... The next thing I know he's knocked out with a gash and the big guy is letting us out... So I bind up the gash in the guy's head and then the gal's ribs... That was the last of my best skirt and shirt too..."

Illilli pouted a little and then shrugged. "But we got our stuff and got out when the laughing man stuck the wall with his rapier and the Big guy made a paper dog and exploded the wall some how... We were running from arrows and I was soo incredibly scared.... My markings itched so hard they HURT me... and then my clothes were too tight... and I couldn't breath..."

She paused for a little air again... "I was turning into this and was trapped by my own clothing! The Mushroom boy cut open the back of my shirt and trouser though... And borrowed a cloak to cover me up some... I'm not exactly easy to hide like this... So we escaped to lick our wounds and the girl was coming down with a fever and the Big man had an arrow wound or two... The lauging mushroom guy went and got those wierd mushrooms at that time and came back covered in spiders, and I fixed my clothes up some then, I've since added these nifty little loops and the slashes down the sides of the thigh... Kinda racey huh?"

Illilli Stretched a leg out to show Geldenwing the solid metal loops worked into the leather at her hips that helped hold her outfit together without fouling the flap of her wings.

"And the girl wanted tea but I had none... So I put water onto boil and took my first flight. Boy it was hard work... I went out to the woods and got some wild peppermint."

"When everyone was feeling better a day or two later they all had different things to do so I went and sold the lace I had been working on and here I am."

"Whew..." Illilli gaspsed. "That was quite a bit of talking... Mind if I get a sip or two from cup?"

She grinned at Geldenwing. It was so very nice to have someone who actually cared to listen. Most people in this town were either too busy with their own woes or busy hiding.[/i]

Geldenwing
Citizen

Whew!

Post by Geldenwing » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 am

As Illilli spoke, Gelden's mouth dropped lower and lower until it seemed her jaw would unhinge. What an amazing story! And it was real! Gelden was beside herself with envy. Had she ever had anything so exciting happen to her? She couldn't remember.

Suddenly, she zipped from the mug to clear the woman's way and poked at Illilli's right wing.

"So these just popped out! How...how neat!"

She flittered again and hovered before the woman's face.

"What kinda marking ARE they, that they hurtcha? Why would little marks hurt?"

She crossed her arms and pouted her lips, deep in thought. Finally, she moved up and landed on top of Illilli's head, standing with her legs daintily crossed at the knees. She stamped her foot in defeat (which of course was more like a tiny poke in the head).

"Well I have nothing to trade! Nothing at all! No fun stories or, or adventures! I'm just no fun."

With this rather depressing conclusion, the faerie drifted back to the countertop and sat indian-style, then put her chin in her hand and huffed out a sigh.

"I'm the most boring faerie ever. What a sham to my kind! Don't even have a glittery story to tell!"

She turned a mournful face up to the woman, even managed a tear or three.

"How sad is that? Isn't it sad?!"

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Illilli felt a little sorry for Geldenwing as she sipped the flat now slightly warm beer and made a little face. Now the beer was getting a little skunky as well.

No adventures? Just coming to town was like a miniature adventure in its self...All the new sites to see, the different culture from that on the farm and forestland she grew up in. Though of course that "adventure" was not as big as what happened once she actually arrived in this wild and strange town.

"I don't know, I think if we stick around this town we'd prolly bump into something else around here... I have hardly been here for a week or so I think... And I do like having someone to travel with..."

She rolled up the light leather sleeve to her strange makeshift halter-shirt.

"Oh, And the markings look like these..." She extended her lower arm. The markings went about halfway up her lower arm from the backs of her hands. The delicate looking zebra stripe markings were in bright contrast to her finely scaled white-silver skin.

"And watch this, its kinda like my hair..." she said as she rotated her fore arm... from the way the light hit her markings it looked red one way, blue the other and purple if you caught it straight on.

"When I still looked human they just looked like birthmarks or as if they were henna tattoos... I have no clue why I have them.... I have more stripes on my back and across my shoulders, more striped bands like these around my ankles and down my feet. The marking just run down the bones of my wings though."

Geldenwing
Citizen

Post by Geldenwing » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:23 pm

Gelden poked at the designs with a teeny finger, fascinated. She didn't have anything comparable to the pretty designs, and they didn't seem to have a purpose other than decoration and pain.

"Ever since you were little? How odd! Normally there's some sort of family legend or something to explain this sort of thing."

Gelden backed away and hovered in the air before Illilli.

"Do you really think we'll meet someone exciting like who you talked about? They sure sounded weird."

She started "walking" on the air, twirling when she reached the end of a line and following it the other way.

"I mean you're nice, and you've got great wings, but sitting in this tavern just isn't very adventurous, is it?"

She finally settled on the bartop again and folded her arms behind her back.

"Maybe you need a breather, though. Right? For all that craziness you just went through!"

Suddenly the faerie seemed confused, and looked around the bar.

"So...where'd they all go, anyway? You just walked away and they all walked away too?"

Camulous Smithson
Guardsman
Name: Camulous Smithson
Race: Human

Post by Camulous Smithson » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:24 am

Camulous strode into the tavern wearing his off-duty clothes; brown leather slacks and a blue tunic. The term 'off-duty' with him was something of a misnomer though, since he never really was. Strapped to his waist was his latest toy, a gnomish pistol cast from a single piece of metal which, aside from its ugly design elements, looked about as modern as anything in the city. It was the sort of thing nobody else had, and he had taken a real liking to it after discovering how disgustingly effective it was. He didn't even need his sword anymore...

The on-duty guard in the tavern immediately stood at attention and nodded to him, a gesture which he returned with half as much emphasis. Walking through the place (and giving the few people there a good looking over) he made his way to a far wall that had the usual official city annoucnments posted on it, including the official notice banning magic (which was so old it looked as though it had been posted there when the tavern was built), codes of conduct for citizens, and rules for cleanliness in taverns and inns. There were no wanted posters on the wall (everyone who was ever wanted was found and probably dead), a situation that was about to change.

The captain unfurled a sheet of paper he had in hand, and flattened it up against the wall. With a few tacks from a pouch dangling form his belt he pinned the new poster up.

"ATTENTION" it read, "THIS MAN IS WANTED BY THE GUARD"

Following the large bold letters was a startling drawing of a man Illilli was familiar with. A handsome face, tough and unshaven with long dark hair and crazy eyes stared back from the wall expressionlessly.

The notice continued to explain that anyone who should be unfortunate enough to encounter the depicted man must report this fact to the guard or face severe repercussions. These punishments included, but were not limited to, section d-7 of the city book of laws and guidelines, which made well-known reference to being "confined for an unspecified period of time or executed."

There was no reward.

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Illilli was just finishing her ale, which seemed to get worse the further down the glass she went, when the official walked in with the wanted poster. Luckily for her the beer was nasty enough to warrant the sputter that came out when she recognized the face on the poster.

"Nasty dregs to this beer..." she skipped looking into the dregs just incase she would actually recognize something swhishing around at the bottom of her cup.

She kicked back and focussed on meticulously shelling a peanut. The stress was causing her markings to shimmer with color changes again.

"Oh wonderful the itching is back." she hicupped.

"So, feel up to going flying?" Illilli stood up briefly to make sure the one ale hadn't made her too drunk for flying at night.

"Who knows what we'll find out there tonight."

Geldenwing
Citizen

Post by Geldenwing » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:08 am

The woman started acting funnier and funnier, and Geldenwing didn't understand why. The man had come in and put up a picture, and Illilli had been agitated ever since. Did she feel threatened? Did she hate the picture that much? Gelden didn't draw at all, and she couldn't evaluate it for artistic merit.

"What's wrong? Did that nasty drink hurt your tummy? Do you need some food?"

Gelden suddenly puffed up with purpose. Food she could handle! Yes, she knew how to solve Illilli's problems. Why, it would solve ANYONE'S problems! Yes, what this woman needed was a nutcake!

Gelden hopped into the air, then landed next to Illilli and looked way way waaaaaay up at the winged lady. She grinned brightly (and probably unseen), then closed her eyes and imagined herself big, big, very big! Big enough to climb onto the stools! Big enough to hold Illilli's cup!

She opened her eyes and blinked at Illilli's tummy. Well, big was relative. She was still tiny, but now she was person-sized - which meant her pouch was person-sized.

The fairie reached into her pouch and produced a normal-sized nutcake, then presented it to the dragon lady with a dazzling smile.

"You eat this and then maybe we'll fly. First you need to feel better!"

Of course, it didn't even occur to the fairie that she'd basically just materialized out of thin air to anyone else in the bar who cared to watch. She was almost too short for the bartender to see, but see he had, and now he stared at her in mild amazement and strong disgust. The city guard captain stood only meters away, and he knew the magic laws...

Camulous Smithson
Guardsman
Name: Camulous Smithson
Race: Human

Post by Camulous Smithson » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:49 pm

Camulous turned around to head back outside of the tavern when something in the corner of his vision caught his attention. There was a small woman where there hadn't been one before and, although he wasn't sure since she had only been at the corner of his vision, he thought she had just appeared there magically. Either way she was too small to be human, along with the demeanor of a fairy.

His jaw was set. He walked over to their table with the kind of air only an anally retentive cop or peeved off teacher can have. Had he been wearing his armor, his stomping would have made the whole place rattle. Each step that brought him closer confirmed his suspicions. He could smell the magic on her, her friend looked none too innocent either, and to make matters worse they were both strangers.

Camulous had had a rough week, what with escaped prisoners, rampant mages, murders, and a conniving criminal who was playing games with both him and his men. He was determined to bring order to his city if it meant killing every last person with an ounce of magic in his body.

Upon reaching their table, he snagged the small woman by the upper arm and glared into her eyes, snarling. His grip was that of a swordsman.

"You're both under arrest."

Illilli
Citizen

Post by Illilli » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:17 pm

"What for? All she did was offer me a snack. And I paid for my ale..." Illilli sighed. So now natural body functions were against the law?

She didn't remember seeing this man as she was escaping from the jail. He certainly wasn't as polite as the one who had talked her into coming to the prison in the first place for the questioning that never happened.

She was starting to get fed up with this town and city.

Illilli growled and grimaced in frustration. Unfortunatly this exposed her elongated fang teeth. She did not like the way he was holding on to Geldenwing. Her wings puffed up under her cloak out of an instinctive need to look bigger. She knew in her normal state she would not be able to overpower a man of this stature, but maybe he didn't know how strong she was normally. She certainly didn't know how strong she was now.

The itching was back again. And the colors raced along her markings where they were visible on the backs of her hands.