Lo'en Jaspenellar

Storage of characters that are dead or unused.
Jaspenellar
Citizen
Name: Loen
Race: Half-Elven

Lo'en Jaspenellar

Post by Jaspenellar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Character Name: Lo’en Jaspenellar
Player Name: Jaspenellar
Race: Half-elven
Height: 5’5”
Weight: 125lbs
Physical Description: Lo’en is fairly non-descript- her thick dark brown hair falls just below shoulder length, typically pulled back in an unkempt ponytail with numerous stray fly-aways harrying her long, pointed ears. Her face is yet unmarked by age or worry, and its rare not to see a wry grin tweak her lips or a smirk in her grey eyes. Her tanned skin seems dark by elven standards, and the athletic, wiry build of her body confirms her partial elven blood. The most stunning feature is her grey eyes- some say the eyes are windows to the soul, but Lo’en’s eyes betray all, should you ever get to lock them on.

Not having much use for stylish clothing, the half-elf seems to own nothing other than simple dark green tunics, short-sleeved, though for colder conditions, she may wear a black long sleeved shift beneath her thigh-length tunic. Grey, non-descript leggings protect her legs against underbrush, tucked into calf-high, thick hide boots whose soles have been worn precariously thin. The only remarkable article is her cap- in and of itself, a shapeless, worn brownish cap which comes to a point in the front, but it is adorned by a feather nearly three feet in length, its calamus a good inch in diameter.

Lo’en carries herself with confidence, her step constantly having a lightness to it as if continually buoyed by good cheer. Most would say she has a happy-go-lucky attitude, careless and free in her manner, almost to the detriment of those around her.

Possessions: Hanging at her side is a small, practical quiver for the few arrows she constantly has to re-fletch. It is apparent she is a woodsman- her bow is simple, long, well-worn but kept in careful, good condition. She sports three small knives, one for skinning, one for carving, and one- the largest- general purpose on her belt. Lo’en carries her spare change of clothing, spare bow string, and minimal survival equipment in a small shoulder pack.

Strengths: Nothing extra-ordinary, yet. Her optimistic nature makes her likeable enough to get through life with minimal confrontations, for the most part. This should not be taken as naivety, however, and Lo’en often avoids large groups of people to avoid the duplicity of strangers. She is a better than decent shot with her bow, though having minimal contact with other weapons, she is no master of martial weapons. She is quick, agile, and strong, and has the potential to quickly learn dexterous arts. Having grown up a shepard’s daughter, she can subsist off the land, even in meager conditions. She is fairly smart and very perceptive of events occurring around her.

Weaknesses: Strangely enough, her half-elven blood lends nothing to her magic potential. Her family used to joke that her other half was dwarven- a magic-void seems to permeate around Lo’en and she seems to have no sense at all for the astral. Magicks cast in her immediate presence have greatly reduced effects and cost significantly more energy to cast- a magic healer would be very hard pressed to heal minor wounds on her. She would still be very much affected by ranged magic, such as a fireball cast her way from as close as 3 meters. Magically enhanced weapons would typically lose all their abilities in her hands, as well as magically embued potions and the like.

Her grey eyes can get her into trouble, and Lo’en can only hide her feelings and thoughts by avoiding direct stares. Add to this her discomfort in large crowds, and the half-elf often appears shifty at the wrong times. Lo’en lacks any strong desire to lead and having no particular goals in life, she tends to wander and flow wherever circumstances take her.

History: Lo’en grew up the third child of an elderly couple- of dwarves. Her oldest sister is a gnome, and her older brother is a full-blood human. The dwarves owned a moderately successful farm on the northern reaches of Thar Shaddin territory. In the mountainous terrain where the Ofriyu River is only small rivulets running in cold, dangerous ravines, Lo’en raised, chased, and kept the family’s goats, their chief export to the city. Her “parents” were unable to have children of their own, and so the story went that they took in the orphans of all shapes and sizes. Being relatively isolated- the nearest homestead was half a day’s travel by foot- Lo’en and her siblings thought nothing of their strange upbringing. Unfortunately for her parents, at the age of 20, wanderlust struck the half-elf. She fought with it for a year, disappearing with the goats for longer and longer stints, until her parents, because they loved her, sat her down and gave her their blessing to leave the family business to wander. Her sister and her brother accompanied her during her first year of travel, during which they had several minor adventures and misadventures. They parted company, vowing that after five years they would reunite.

((Hi all! This character is actually a very old friend of mine, someone I made up for another, now defunct, free-form RP writing circle. I've adjusted her accordingly, and I apologize if my history is fairly short, i'm just too eager to get started on her again to have patience to write much more. If more is needed, just let me know, i'll fix it appropriately!))

[edited to elaborate on her magic weakness]
Last edited by Jaspenellar on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaspenellar
Citizen
Name: Loen
Race: Half-Elven

Re: Lo'en Jaspenellar

Post by Jaspenellar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 am

A Sample of my writing, a story of history...

“So, whatya gonna do when we split?” Naris asked cheerfully for at least the tenth time that day.

The winter sun was just beginning to lengthen the shadows, marking the day at midafternoon even though it had only just begun to emerge from behind its thick woolen blanket of grey clouds. The trio, gnome, followed by human, followed by half-elf, were gingerly picking their way downhill alongside a steep ravine. The rocks which comprised the landscape ranged in size from fist-sized loose pebbles to flat plates a meter or so wide, each set at random, various angles as if a giant hand had simply dropped the rocks all at once. Three of four meters below them burbled the waters of the ever-widening Ofriyu.

Lo’en shrugged, unphased by the question. “Not sure,” she replied just as cheerfully as her sister. She was bringing up the rear of their single file formation, being the most nimble of the three. They were making good progress, their pace not slow by any measure, but having no particular place to go, an observer might come to the wrong conclusion that they had some purpose to their quick pace.
Koloque grunted as he misstepped and slid half a meter down on a flat, smooth rock. He paused at the bottom and turned to offer a hand to his diminutive sister. The gnome simply tossed him her large, thick walking stick and slid down on the flats of her feet. “Why does it matter so much, Naris? Lo’en has no method to her ridiculous ‘wanderlust.’” He spoke the term carefully, treating it more with doubt than malice.

The half-elf halted at the top, looking around her. Sparse weeds and half dead shrubs grew obstinately between the rocks where they could. Two klicks to the east the rocks melted into the base of stunted trees, the outskirts of a dense forest. On the other side of the ravine, the mountain chain of their home 3 months travel away (as the crow flies) was finally beginning to roll down into foot hills. A small family of ibix, unconcerned by the travelling humanoids, was graze-moving up the slopes, small specks of white from Lo’en’s view. The western side was far more open than the eastern, and Lo’en knew the hunting would probably be infinitely more difficult on their present side in the dense wood. Small bird sounds were prevalent in the background and after a moment, Lo’en reflected perhaps a few snares would work just as easily as an ibix for tonight’s supper. With much less work, to add.

“Hey, are you listening?” Naris waved her hands, trying to catch her attention, the wide hemmed sleeves of her red robe flapping with her motions.

Lo’en blinked her grey eyes, grinning. “Just thinking about supper.” The half-elf skipped down the rock to join her siblings who were already several paces ahead. It almost seems as if they are more eager to move than I am, she thought wryly.

“I asked if you maybe were going to try to find your… real parents,” her sister asked, something in her voice betraying a doubt.

Lo’en snorted. “Mum and Da are my parents, and you know that very well. Whoever dumped me in their care is not of my concern. You can reassure Mum of that when you get back.”

“We aren’t going back,” Koloque and Naris spoke simultaneously. Lo’en halted, stopping dead in her tracks. “At least not right away,” Naris mumbled.

“Wait… what?” The half-elf danced nimbly on the uneven ground, trotting ahead of Koloque and putting her hand out. Her brother, easily twice her weight and a head and a half taller, stopped obediently. “The plan was for you to travel with me for about 6 months and then return to help Mum and Da.”

Naris shuffled her feet and Koloque looked abashed. Their blond-haired, blue eyed brother was far from the quickest of the three, definitely giving proof to the old adage of brawn over brains. He generally allowed himself to be lead by his oldest sister, for whom he held the utmost respect and reverence. He looked at Naris for explanation.

There was no apology in the gnome’s tone. “Remember that book we found?”

Lo’en remembered. A month ago, higher in the mountains, before they had crossed the river, while the snow was still dusting the ground, the siblings had come across a very strange gathering of kobolds. The rat-like humanoids, smaller than Naris, were congregating in a tiny, abandoned temple. The building was in shambles, the majority of the brick layed walls were crumbling and in pieces. Nature had long ago re-claimed the hilltop on which this temple had been built. Nature and unnatural creatures- the kobolds, typically nocturnal, were amassing at high noon on what must have been the central altar. Typical foraging rat packs of kobolds usually never number more than ten or so, but there had to have been no less than 40. A writhing, screeching mass, the Jaspenellars had thrown caution to the winds and ended up being lucky. Naris had been the distractor, rushing into the fray with two large torches. Koloque dispatched a handful of fleeing rodents with a crudely made club while Lo’en perched at the other exit and picked off several with some quick arrows. Fortunately whatever had attracted the kobolds did not encourage a more protective response and the remaining rat-men fled with little resistance. The prize was strange and hardly seemed worth their efforts- a large, worn volume, as thick as two of Koloque’s hand spans, and easily as large as Naris’s torso. All three could read, having been taught the basics by their parents, but the book was beyond their comprehending. The cover, red as blood but faded, held a strange design in the center, with no words decorating it to inform the world what was contained within. Lo’en and Koloque were in favor of leaving the book, but Naris seemed entranced, even volunteering to carry it (while her belongings were given to Koloque to bear).

“Don’t tell me you learned how to read that chicken scratch,” Lo’en scoffed, knowing the answer.

The dark-haired gnome stepped forward, closed her eyes, and murmured a quiet, hissing syllable. She released her thick walking staff- it remained vertical for longer than natural gravity should allow, shuddered once, and promptly fell over. Lo’en raised a dubious eyebrow and was about to make a cheeky comment but concern overwhelmed her before the words formed on her lips. She rushed forward to catch Naris who had broken out in a profuse sweat, her nut brown skin turned very pale. Lo’en quite nearly banged heads with Koloque who was moving for the same purpose. Their sister laughed quietly, even as she shook as if with extreme exertion. She pushed away from Lo’en’s arms and steadied herself.

“Its some kind of book of magic, but your dwarven blood must have stopped my staff from floating- which is what I was trying to do.”

Lo’en spoke lightly even as she looked around them. The city was still months travel away, but their parents had ingrained a deep suspicion in them regarding both magic and the city’s policy. “If you truly can do magic, it will take a lot longer than a month’s worth of studying.”

Naris looked seriously at her sister and then to her brother. They had discussed their plan out of earshot of their half-elven sister. “We can’t go back, not right now. We’ll find some way to get a message back, but… I can’t resist the book. Each day I can read more and more, and I don’t know how. I want to find out more. Mum and Da, they wouldn’t… trust me any more.”

Koloque looked stricken by Naris’s statement, but not surprised. So they had discussed this too, Lo’en thought to herself. She did not feel left out, however, and immediately saw the reason to their plan. If Naris had a future in learning forbidden magic, they would have to travel without her. Their brawny, protective brother would be needed at Naris’s side; Lo’en was more than capable to travel by herself. The jest of her blood, an inside family joke, did not make the fact of her strange null of magical effects any less true.

The half-elf smiled, slight sadness to her eyes. She had known the day would come to part with her siblings, she had just not been planning on this turn of events to be the cause. Her parents would be lonely, maybe even devasted, all of their children leaving the nest at the same abrupt time. She wasn’t sure of the validity in Naris’s thoughts, but dwarves would be dwarves, and as much as the Jaspenellar siblings were loved like dwarven children, they were not. But… the adventures they would have! Her easy grin came back quickly. “We shall discuss this after supper. I will go and see what I can roust from the forest. Koloque, stay here and help Naris recover from her efforts.”

Without waiting for an answer, she dropped her pack with Koloque and bounded away over the rocks toward the forest. There was a strange comfort in knowing she had company on the road, even when they parted ways, she knew she would see her siblings again.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Story 2: Friends or Foes? A story on how Lo'en met her griffin side-kick, or how Justinaryn, talking Griffin, met his half-elven side-kick

“So, you are back so soon,” a wry voice came from above the red-furred griffin who had just landed in the tree. Swearing an oath under his breath, Justinaryn, a feathered and furred agent, glanced up at the source. A rough looking half-elf was looking down at him with the too familiar grey eyes that expressed everything inside. And at that moment, the ranger was none too happy with his return.

“Do not think I want to be here, two-legged freak,” Justin retorted, attempting to smooth his crest feathers which had stood up involuntarily with his initial alarm at the voice. “Since when have you creatures taken to the trees where birds and other real animals belong?”

Lo’en Jaspenellar looked more at ease in the tall pine than the griffin did as she swung her legs nonchalantly with her backside against the trunk of the tree. Justin was trying to get a better grip with his large talons and balance his heavier leonine hindquarters on a slim branch which was still reverberating from his hasty landing. His tail feathers were spread wide and his wings were cupped to help provide balance. The half-elf had chosen this next ‘battle field’ well, putting the griffin ill at ease while she had the advantage of being lighter and having more maneuverability.

“Your master must have no more need of your bumbling abilities… it would appear you got kicked out of your den to monitor me because he was sick of watching out for your sorry tail,” Lo’en goaded him, prodding his branch below with her toe. Brown needles were shaken loose and fell onto the griffin.

“Do NOT blaspheme my master’s name with your filthy grass-stained tongue!” Justin growled, clacking his heavy, rending beak. He tensed for a spring, but the bough bounced up and down with his sudden movement and he had to spread his wings wider to prevent from falling out of the tree. He almost appeared to be the clumsy beast of Lo’en’s taunts, except for his flashing golden eyes.

Lo’en smirked with something not unlike malice. The argument was just beginning.
Three months before, she had been travelling through the Burning Plains, when she first realised she was being followed. The avian shadow had been on the ground near her at all times, but the ranger had figured it to be some carrion bird hoping for dinner. When she had finally looked up, she saw the red griffin for the first time. Not knowing the beast was intelligent, the half-elf had done what any other rational person would have done in her position- taken out her bow, nocked an arrow, and aimed for dinner.

Since that day, Lo’en and Justin had been arguing, verbally fighting with each other unrelentingly. Lo’en was understandably suspicious of a talking fantastical creature with unknown motives. She was sure that there was no justifiable reason for her surveillance. Justin hated the boring, pointless mission of watching a crabby ‘two-legger.’ His family was most likely laughing at him at the moment. The griffin wondered miserably what crime that was so terrible which rated a punishment like this assignment. He was not suited for delicate work- his orders had been to merely watch, with adamant restrictions not to harm her.

The two were stubborn. Justin could have flown away, and resumed the surveillance from afar, but to fly away would be admitting a sort of defeat, as if the puny half-elf had succeeded in driving him away. Lo’en did not think she could kill the large beast with the wicked talons and sharp eagle beak which he kept clacking with annoying repetition. She could think of no other way to rid herself from the persistent creature.
The moon was rising. Half-elf and griffin had been arguing for the last two hours, .

“You- you impudent… little wretch!” Justin spluttered as Lo’en’s jibes began to work him into a fury. His warrior blood, bred in the Dragkorkraw family for generations, was boiling. The bough on which the griffin was standing began to shake more agitatedly.

“Don’t do me any favors and fall off that branch, chicken-head,” Lo’en was also growing impatient with just words and stood on her branch, looking down at Justin. Her grey eyes were filled with a smoldering anger. The normally happy-go-lucky girl was in a rare angry mood, wishing nothing more than to throw the beast out of the tree. “You call me a freak, you look like some mad wizard’s experiment gone wrong! If you fall out of the tree you will be doing me a favor. I’d rather not have to foul my hands with your blood, there’s much better game out there than an oversized stringy, mangy house cat!”

Without warning, Justin’s patience (of which he had little to begin with) snapped, and he leapt at the half elf above him. Unfortunately, the branch could not support such force from his leonine legs launching his body upward and it snapped before he could get completely into the air. Grappling with the ranger in a desperate attack, even as he realized he was falling, the griffin knocked the girl off her branch and the two went crashing out of the tree.

“You stupid, dim-witted-“

“-get away-“

“Let go! I hate-“

“-this… is going to hurt-“

The pair tumbled down the entire length of the trunk. Lo’en was trying to free herself from the tangle of his forelegs and breast feathers, scrabbling at the quickly passing branches without success. Justin found he couldn’t open his wings properly to slow their descent, hitting boughs, breaking sticks, and dislodging birds’ nests as he fell. Though the branches were going to leave bruises and scratches later, it was fortunate for the squabbling pair that there were so many between them and the ground, slowing their descent so that they landed with only a “umph” and no broken bones.

She lay breathless on top of the griffin for a long moment, listening to his hoarse breathing as he also tried to regain his breath from the fall. She could hear his strong heartbeats beneath the surprisingly soft downy chest feathers. Lo’en was absurdly starting to feel comfortable against his silky neck- her mind abruptly cleared from the daze. Leaping off the griffin at the same moment he sprung up to his feet, Lo’en spun away, narrowly missing his sharp talons as he swiped at her.

“If it’s a fight you want,” Lo’en growled, her grey eyes sparking as dangerously as the griffin’s golden ones. “Then come and get it.”

What a ridiculous picture, something in the back of her mind screamed at her. She stood opposite the griffin in the quickly darkening evening with nothing more than a large, serrated knife in her hand. Ah, that was just caution, which Lo’en promptly threw to the winds as she was forced to take a few steps backward, losing ground as Justin advanced. With each lunge forward, the air was cut by his talons. She sidestepped on his third attack, a thick tree trunk blocking any further backward motion. The griffin had been so focused on the half-elf he had lost track of the forest, and as his foe moved too quickly to the side, he had not been able to flex with her. The force of his blow caused his claws to sink deeply into the trunk. Furious, he tore his forepaw away, sending bark and thick pieces of tree flying. Both combatants were at a disadvantage—Justin was more adept at aerial combat, and Lo’en had no weapon with reach. Her bow and quiver were with her pack she had left on the ground somewhere- but even if she were to manage her way to it, she would not be able to string an arrow in such close quarters.

Lo’en feigned low with her knife, aiming the edge for the middle of the griffin’s legs. Justin snorted, a strange sound from an eagle’s beak, not even pretending to honour the strike with any movement backward, moving like liquid, snaking his head forward to snap at her outstretched arm. Artfully, conveniently, and partially by luck, Lo’en brought her arm in as she turned on the ball of her forward foot, using her momentum to spin, catching the griffin’s neck with the blade of her empty hand as she came around dangerously close. The half-elf had managed a stinging blow, but Justin was more experienced at fighting and took the opportunity to draw his talons down her leg as she got in too close. They were superficial wounds, but first blood flowed from Lo’en’s leg. Gritting her teeth against the burning pain, she moved to snatch at his wings but he hop-jumped back, putting a few meters between them again.

Smelling blood cheered the griffin’s hunting instinct, which he started to vocalize in a triumphant screech. His master’s imprinted commands were fading against his predatory nature. The commands, the voice in his brain, the magic that altered his vocal cords to enable him to speak the bipedal language seemed to be fading. He crouched, poised, ready to spring at Lo’en, when something strange swept over him. He was falling. The sensation of dropping out of the sky flooded all of his perceptions, dimming his sight. In his ears, he could hear nothing but air whistling.

The half-elf was paralyzed with fear- but it was not her own. Before she could make any sense of the strange sensation, watching the griffin cower before her, her grey eyes caught notice of movement in the dark shadows around her.

If the two hadn’t been so caught up in their battle, they would have noticed the twenty pairs of green eyes watching from behind the trees as they moved back and forth, parrying and attacking each other’s blows. A large band of kobolds had been attracted by the sounds of voices and had the pair surrounded. These kobolds were of a particularly stupid, vicious, and hungry sort and did not recognize the griffin or human as anything other than food. Opportunistic creatures, they did see the two engaged in battle and decided they would be able to take advantage of their prey’s concentration.

With a high ‘yipyipyip’ cry, the twenty-odd kobolds sprang from their hiding places and fell upon the half-elf and the griffin.

Lo’en turned toward the new threat, and the dark shadow that had seemed to fall on griffin and half-elf lifted instantaneously. Justin blinked his large eyes as if waking from a dream, crouching again, this time training his focus on the new threat. Both Lo’en and Justin were swearing at themselves for not being more vigilant. The ranger found herself surrounded by five of the small creatures, with one other on her back, trying to stab her in the side with a crudely fashioned short sword. It succeeded in making a few scratches, but with a dull blade and the odd angle it wasn’t making much progress. The half-elf managed to peel the rat-man from her back and threw it bodily at the closest of its pack. She had wrenched its sword from its grip and immediately parried a thrust at her legs by another kobold, moving solely by instinct.

Justin had his talons full. The remainder of the pack, about fifteen kobolds, were gnawing at his legs, jumping on his back, pulling his tail, and tweaking his wing feathers. The griffin was nearly flattened to the ground under their weight. “Damned rats…” The red griffin grunted with the effort to stand, rending one of the kobolds with his beak. The small beast screamed with the pain but it did not deter the others from attacking the griffin again. They had tasted blood and like piranhas, they weren’t about to let their victims walk away.

“These buggers are hungry!” Lo’en yelped as one took a bite of her calf. She kicked it off and snapped another rapid kick as it let go to break its jaw. The half-elf was no master of her newly found sword, but she was larger and more agile than the kobolds. A calm, odd confidence came with her motions and she was moving with a remarkable amount of grace and speed, fueled by adrenaline to live and disdain at the thought of being cut down and eaten by kobolds. At least being cut down and eaten by a griffin would be a better end, she thought wryly. Lo’en stabbed two in the same motion and quickly backpedaled to parry another’s stab with its short sword. Neatly sidestepping a thrust, combining light feet with a deft cuts, kicks, punches, and anything else that came to mind, Lo’en finished her immediate opponents with effort.

Spinning in a movement continued from her last killing stroke, Lo’en assessed the griffin’s situation, while trying to catch her breath and order her mind. Five bodies lay strewn about on the forest floor, but Justin had not escaped injury. Fur and feathers flew everywhere as six were using their ‘natural’ weapons of dirty claws and rotten teeth, while the remaining four were poking the beleaguered griffin with crude weapons ranging from pitted, rusty daggers, to improvised wooden sticks. For a moment, the half-elf considered leaving them to their business, but strangely, she felt drawn to him. Despite his secretive motives, the half-elf had always imagined griffins as noble beasts and she couldn’t leave a noble beast to such a death. Lo’en hated to admit it, but despite their differences, she recognized a kindred spirit.

“Ruffians!” Lo’en muttered as she charged into the fray.
Twenty minutes later, the last kobold was running for its life deeper into the woods.

Justin looked ragged and was breathing hoarsely, but nothing was missing that couldn’t grow back in time. Covered in cuts, bruises, and bites, Lo’en looked worse, but said nothing to the griffin. The two once again fell into silence as they regained their composure. A branch cracked behind the closest tree. The half-elf went into an alert stance, though her arms were aching from wounds and adrenaline was beginning to drain. Justin pricked his ear tufts and clapped his beak shut.

“You killed… clan!” A shrill voice screeched, a horrible sound in the silence after the battle. A taller, fatter kobold gifted with the meanest ability to speak, stepped out from behind the tree. Lo’en saw the hollowed pipe and the dart before Justin realized what it was, even though it was aimed for the griffin.

Before she realised what she was doing, Lo’en leapt directly in the line of fire. Feeling nothing more than a small prick in her shoulder, the ranger continued her lunge. The clan leader was completely defenceless, scrambling pitifully for another dart. The pipe was cleaved in twain as the dart slid down into it. The return swing sent the rodent head rolling on the forest floor. She tossed the old, blood-stained short-sword to the side, not caring to keep it with her.

Behind Lo’en, the griffin began to make a strange chortling sound. Thinking he was choking on something, the half-elven ranger whirled around on her heel, alarmed. Justin was gasping for air.

“What is the matter, bird brain?”

Between wheezing breaths, the red griffin gasped out, “His face… the look…. On that kobold’s ugly little face…”

Lo’en realised the griffin was laughing.

It wasn’t an unpleasant sound, after the screams of battle and the clash of steel. In fact, the laughter was contagious. Lo’en started to chuckle. Which soon turned to giggling. Which was not in the least a normal sound for the rough girl… Her giggling faded into shivering, and she soon was forced to kneel or take to falling on her face. Justin looked up sharply, realizing immediately something amiss with the half-elf. Bounding to her side, he was there to catch her in his bloodied claws as she fell into a limp semi-conscious state.

“Dart… must’ve… poisoned,” Lo’en murmured, her grey eyes half-closed, revealing nothing more.

Justin frowned as he looked at the girl in his clutches. Something was wrong, something was different in his head. The oppressing command that demanded one hundred percent loyalty was still there, it just seemed quieter. He could not pin down what had happened just prior to their ambush. Was it his master, somehow over the distance? Or was this the reason he had been ordered to watch this strange half-elven creature? He ruffled his feather and decided he would do what he wanted to. Without another thought, the griffin tucked cradled her in his “arms” and launched himself into the air.
When Lo’en awoke two days later, in a lonesome cottage owned by an eccentric but friendly hermit, she felt a genuine sense of surprise. Walking out of the cottage, she saw Justin sitting on the top of the cliff on which the cottage sat. She walked up behind the griffin, unsure of what to say.

“You didn’t have to jump in front of that dart,” Justin said gruffly, without turning to look at her.

“You didn’t have to fly me to help,” she returned, but without the customary note of sarcasm.

They watched the sun rising slowly in the east for several long moments.

“Well, I couldn’t let you die like that… if I’m going to be rid of you, it’ll be by my own will,” the two spoke finally, in almost perfect unison, though the griffin had not yet turned his head.

Lo’en walked up to the noble beast but refrained from touching him. “This doesn’t mean we have to be friends. But thanks,” she said quietly and returned to the cottage. She almost didn’t hear Justin’s echoing sentiment.
Last edited by Jaspenellar on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"She who can laugh at herself will never cease to be amused."