Death, Doom, and Distraction

All things outside of Thar Shaddin.
Kyon
Outsider
Name: Mikhail Haugen
Race: Shape-shifter

Re: Death, Doom, and Distraction

Post by Kyon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:34 am

Mikhail's eyes widened as he saw Anarawad and Cherish fall to the ground. Christof had already drawn his pistol on the assassin and was checking Anarawad. Mikhail was relieved to hear that the boy was still alive. Christof heaved the boy over his shoulder and started carrying him off the boat making crude jokes.

“I know you've seen a lot of death, Inquisitor, but we have been traveling with the boy for a month or so now. You could show some concern. As for the girl, I want her conscious when we kill her.” Mikhail picked a couple of leaves from helpful plants as they hurried through the town. The man who had taken them the short trip to Pretana, aided by another man, was leading the way to the town doctor whilst carrying the assassin. “You get Anarawad to the doctor. I have a couple more ingredients to grab.”

Mikhail bolted to the edge of the town and into a nearby wood. He picked a the berries and plants he was looking for quickly. He shuffled through the growth swiping through the various branches. He found the last of his ingredients tangled in with a wildly growing vine. He hacked through it and uprooted the plant that had been strangled by the vines. He jammed his findings in his pockets and ran back to the town. Upon quick questioning he learned the location of the doctor's house and sprinted down the street. He took a left, knocking into a building as he turned mid-sprint and dashed down the next road. He slowed down just long enough to fling open the door to the house and ran into the kitchen area. He tore through the cupboard looking for a bowl. He found one of appropriate size and filled it with a small bit of water. He then found a spoon in a drawer, grabbed it and sat where he was on the floor. He pulled out everything he gathered and started pounding away at it. A few minutes later he had a gooey salve. He followed his nose down a few halls and into the room where Anarawad lay. The doctor was bent over studying his wound.

“Step aside,” Mikhail pushed the doctor out of the way and started pouring the mixture onto Anarawad's injury.

“What are you doing?!” The doctor barked.

“I've almost died many times, doctor. I do not mean to be rude, but I likely have a few years on you. You may treat him as you see fit in a moment, but for now we need to make sure he doesn't bleed to death.” Satisfied with his work, Mikhail stepped away and let the doctor continue his examination.

He turned and walked toward Christof who was standing next to the assassin, who was beginning to wake up. The girl was now double bound, the entirety of her hands wrapped by a rope so that her fingers could not move. Against his instincts he bent over so that his face was within inches of the girls.

“Rise and shine, young one. It's time for your execution.” He smiled darkly and stood back up turning toward Christof. “Find a nice, tall tree and hang her from it.”

He left the room and picked up a chair from the kitchen and brought it back into the room that everyone was in. He dropped it next to the bed that Anarawad was in and sat down. The doctor turned and looked at him curiously.

“I'm not going anywhere until that boy wakes up.”

The doctor sighed and went back to his work.

Anarawad
Outsider
Name: Anarawad Gaelish
Race: Human

Post by Anarawad » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 am

Anarawad felt sick to his stomach as his eyes slowly began to open. The room was dark save a single candle waiting to burn out. For a moment, he wasn't sure what had happened to him. As his memory began to return, he swiftly reached for his stomach which was bound tight with a bandage. He was hurting quite a bit, but he didn't seem to feel as though he was dying.

A small motion caught his attention. He adjusted his eyes to see just past the dim light. Mikhail was plopped on a chair, doubled over in an uncomfortable sleep. The man looked worse for the wear, perhaps the assassin had got him too. Anarawad couldn't see well enough to tell, but if he was sitting up then he wasn't in as bad a shape as the thin boy.

"Ah, he awakes." a groggy doctor surprised Anarawad from the shadows.

"Where am I?" the injured young man asked.

"In my house. I'm a doctor, of sorts. Your friend in the chair there quite possibly saved your life. You were bleeding out pretty badly. From what I can tell, when you punched your assailant, the knife twisted and gashed you open wider. That man made some sort of a salve and applied it well enough to stop your bleeding. You're a very lucky young man. Both to be alive and to have a companion like that, he's been sitting there since you were brought to me. He refused to move until he knew you were okay."

Anarawad looked again at the slumbering Mikhail hunched over in the chair. So, the man knew some herbology. The tiny man decided that he would owe the shifter the rest of his life, although he wasn't sure how to pay him that. Whatever he did, whenever Mikhail needed help, Anarawad would come to his call.

"The inquisitor?" Anarawad asked.

"He lugged you in, apparently killed your attacker, and is now sleeping in my guest room." the doctor answered in turn.

Cherish was dead? That meant that, once again, they had no bearing in the new world to follow. It would be a much longer journey, and painful now for the injured Anarawad. A brilliant thought struck him, however.

"The woman Christof killed, what did he do with her?" Anarawad perked up, then reeled in pain.

"She's still hanging, I believe."

"I'm going to rest more. When the others awake, tell them that the map exists beneath her hair."

It had suddenly struck him, why a woman would have such short hair. Her head must have been shaved in order to place the map upon her scalp. He had heard of a permanent body paint in the wilds of Ayana, magically imbued to show from under the skin. When he had asked her where the map was, she never said it was in her memory, only pointed to her head. Since they were now in Pretana, a ship to Ayana could have been found easily. She had used them to try to get back. Luckily, they would ultimately use her.

Christof
Outsider
Name: Christof Von Haustanzer

Post by Christof » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:53 am

”She’s not quite dead yet…”

Christof said to the doctor as they stared at the girl hanging by her feet from a tree outside the doctor’s office. Christof had come down from the guestroom, about an hour after Anarawad had gone back to sleep, and the doctor had filled him in on what had transpired. Christof applauded Anarawad’s clever thinking, and wondered how he could of missed that hint that the map was painted on her head.

”Were all lucky today, I wanted to burn her but I figured I’d wait a bit for the lad to wake up, I guessed he might want to watch.” Christof said poking Cherish with a stick he had found, testing to see how much fight she had left.

”You were going to burn her alive? Her screams would be dreadful!”

”Well that’s what the gag is for you see, and yes of course I was going to burn her standard Inquisitorial protocol, well almost standard actually, standard would be to use a rack…..you don’t have a rack do you doctor?”

The doctor looked at Christof with disbelief ”I’m a doctor, not a torturer, I help not hurt.”

”Some would beg to differ doctor, never the less we need to get that map off of her head the question is how.”

”We could you know be humane and shave her head then just copy it down?”

”But where’s the fun in that? You know doctor, she almost killed one of my companions and I intend to…. Oh Mikhail so glad you could join us, the doctor and I were just discussing ways of getting the map from our friend here”

Mikhail had apparently woken up and had gone outside, Christof urged him to come over and help figure how exactly to get the map from Cherish who had been hanging upside down for nearly four hours.

Kyon
Outsider

Post by Kyon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 am

Mikhail woke up with a jolt, a tormenting dream of his wife breaking his sleep. His back ached from the position he was sleeping in. He looked over at the injured boy. He was still out but breathing steadily. Mikhail figured a quick stretch and some fresh air wouldn't hurt so he stood up and walked outside. He smelled Christof and the doctor nearby and headed over to them. They were watching the assassin girl as she was hanging by her feet, drifting in and out of consciousness. Christof was muddling over how to extract the map from her scalp with the doctor.

The map was on her scalp? That's odd, he thought to himself.

Christof then asked Mikhail what the best option for extracting the map from the girl's head would be.

“I think the best option would be to shave her head then scalp her. If we cut off all of the hair while it's still attached to her head then we have a stable base and run less of a risk of cutting or deforming it.”

The girl's eyes flickered open for a moment then closed once again. The doctor looked at Mikhail, appalled.

“You two are sick! How do you think of death so coolly?”

Mikhail laughed. "Clearly you have not traveled much, doctor. Horror and death are all around us. I've spent over half a century watching and performing murders. I am not proud of being a killer, but that is the way this world functions. I guess after a few years one becomes accustomed to such things. I apologize for the behavior of me and my companion. It's crass, I know, but it is who we are. Now if you'll excuse me, I believe I hear the struggled breaths of a stab victim trying to rise from bed.”

Mikhail walked back into the doctor's house and over to Anarawad. The boy had just woken and was attempting to sit up.

“Easy,” He said as he walked into the room. “Lie back down, you don't want to disturb the wound. You look good by all accounts. I'm glad.” Mikhail sat back down in his chair. "These are the horrors we face when we travel in these times. It is part of what people like the Inquisitor and I do. Do you want to know how I got this scar?” Mikhail pulled up his pant leg, partially revealing the jagged scar that ran from just above his ankle to his buttock. “I was a little younger than you when I decided to leave home. My animal instincts are difficult to ignore. On my first trip out I set out from my home in the north to the Northern Trade Route. I was ambushed by bandits with silver weapons. One got me as I tried to run. I should have died that day, but something or someone saved me. Think what you will of your storybook heroes, child, but know that we live a life where pain, death, and stab wounds exist every day. Go back to sleep, now. If you are feeling well tomorrow, maybe we can continue. Or, since you are here, you may wish to return home.” He reached into his bag and pulled out a sweet roll that the doctor had purchased from the bakery in town. “Before you go to sleep eat something. These are delicious.”

Anarawad
Outsider

Post by Anarawad » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Anarawad hurriedly stuffed the into his mouth, he was starving. The shifter watched him, grinning as the boy ate. Thanks to this man, he was still alive.

"I sold my home along with almost everything I had. What I carry upon my back is all that I own now." Anarawad replied, "When my father was on his death bed, he told me of his youth. He told me that his life in Marn was what had made him a man. That's what I was doing in that town, I was searching for the chance to become one myself. Not just what age gives you the right to call yourself a man, but the actions involved in being a good one is what I yearn for. Like what you have done for me. I hear you made a salve to help my wound, I am eternally grateful, Mikhail. If ever you should require assistance with anything, I will gladly set aside my affairs to help."

Anarawad slowly and tentatively stood, choking on the pain from within his belly. He would be stiff, but eventually the pain would go away. The journey to Ayana was a long one, he would have plenty of time to rest on the way.

"This," he said while resting his hand on his wound, "is nothing but a future scar, a reminder of my journey to manhood and my time with you. Time is wasting, whatever Liberatus is planning is nearing completion. We must keep going."

Anarawad smiled and stood strong. They were nearing the end of this leg of the journey, so he figured that there wasn't time to dawdle now. He would fight through this pain and live on. Nothing would defeat the short, scrawny, and malformed mighty Anarawad!

Christof
Outsider

Post by Christof » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:34 pm

”Well doctor it seems we have a decision on how to take this map off, so if you would be so kind to get me a razor and some surgical tools so I can start this task.

Christof told the doctor, who was beginning to question the sanity of the old looking traveller, and pushed him along towards his office. Christof turned back to the girl hanging upside down , and gave her a few more pokes with his stick.

”Don’t worry lass, I’ve practiced this on several cadavers, it shall be relatively quick, painless not so much though I’m afraid.”

The doctor returned with a leather satchel containing various surgical tools and also a set of barber trimmers. Christof quickly set to work shaving Cherish’s head, revelling more and more of a somewhat detailed map with every stroke of the barber’s trimmers. After about five minutes of shaving, Christof began to start a small fire arms reach away from where he was sitting.

”Are you still planning on burning her alive? What about the map on her head there are you insane?”

The doctor said as saw the fire Christof was making, expecting this however Christof simply retorted that he was using it to sterilize the doctors equipment finishing by saying,

”You wouldn’t want one of your regulars getting tainted by her blood would you? And as we all know fire is the purifying thing on the face of this planet”

After the fire was of good size Christof began to place several of the blades in the fire, letting them sit there until they started to glow with heat. Christof picked up a small glowing blade and begain to move it towards Cherish’s bald head to make the first incision. Realising what was about to happen Cherish attempted to struggle and get away from the blade,

”It doesn’t help you to squirm you know, just makes it take longer you best just cooperate and we will be done quicker” Christof said trying to hold her in place.

Christof motioned for the doctor to come over and restrain her so he could finish faster. As the doctor restrained the girl Christof went to work on removing the map, the smell of burning flesh started to fill the air as well as muffled screams of pain from Cherish. The smell must have started to get to the doctor as he started to look a bit nauseous.

”If you’re feeling sick, you can leave I’m almost done here so you can leave, I wouldn’t want to have to kill you for messing with my work.” A look of terror flashed across the doctors face before Christof responded with ”Don’t worry doctor, was nothing but a jest”

As Christof finished up his handy work, he placed the various blades back into the fire to clean them off again, and held up the map to examine it. Christof had to admit that the artist who rendered it onto Cherish’s head was good, the map was more detailed then he realised and even included several different routes to their intended destination. With map in hand Christof headed back to his traveling companions, telling the doctor to do what he wished with the rest of the girl, for he had no further use for her. When he entered the room where Anarawad was resting he tossed the map onto a nearby table, where it landed with a wet splat, saying that the deed was done and went over to a nearby bowl to wash the blood from his gloves and hands.

Kyon
Outsider

Post by Kyon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 am

Mikhail picked up the still bloody “map” and studied it. He was amazed. He'd heard whispers over the years of what life might be like for the peoples of Ayana, but this map showed much more than he had expected. Settlements littered the map as if humanoid life was not only living but thriving in the hostile magic filled lands. He was exited at this prospect. He turned his attention to the routes provided by the map that led to the one star on the map which was located near the center of the continent. It seemed very... unexciting. Many routes went straight from settlement to settlement, through what seemed to be few wooded areas or mountains. No doubt it was best not to waste time in tracking down their enemies, but still....

“I suppose this is sufficient. Very dull,” Mikhail sighed. He looked up at Christof, “Does the girl still breathe? I do not smell death.”

He glanced back down at the map. What evil are you idiots up to? He chewed on a large piece of pork as he sat back down and continued staring at the map.

Anarawad
Outsider

Post by Anarawad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:19 am

Anarawad gazed over Mikhail's shoulder, amazed at what he was seeing. Never had he thought that the map would be quite so impressive. In fact, he figured it wouldn't be more than a few lines with some drawings of landmarks. This map was much more detailed.

"That's a long journey once we hit land." Anarawad commented, "Then again, what leg of this journey hasn't been?"

The tiny one searched, finding his book and began to pen down some more of what had happened. Then, he promptly began to recreate the map. His copy was much more crude, but one could tell where things were. It wouldn't be incredibly accurate, but it would suffice. He thought about what he would do afterwords with this story he had written. Perhaps he would publish it.

Gathering up his belongings and very slowly getting dressed, Anarawad tried to heave his pack. It was difficult and gave him pains unlike any he had ever felt, but he managed. He looked over to Christof, who was busy washing up.

"Shall we go then?"

Christof
Outsider

Post by Christof » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 am

Christof flung the bloody water off his hands and looked around for a towel to dry his hands off.

”Not quite Mikhail, unless the doctor takes care of her she will be dead within the hour.”

Christof gave a quick look to Anarawad who appeared to be better, and finished drying off his hands saying

”Well look who’s alive, you know you gave Mikhail quite a scare, and yes lets leave before this doctor tries to tell me how to be ethical again.”

Kyon
Outsider

Post by Kyon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 am

Mikhail frowned. “You should have killed her by now. Well, if you are feeling up to it show us the way to this captain of yours, Anarawad.” He stood and laid down the map. “I'm going to go steal some more food. Get ready to go, there's adventures to be had.”