Gnomish Intentions.

The farms and houses of Shim, a single inn known as the Red Chalice, and an old manor on a hill overlooking it all to the north.
Fayane
Citizen
Name: Fayane
Race: Shapeshifter

Gnomish Intentions.

Post by Fayane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Birds chirped, squirrels chattered... yes it was a typical day in the woods. Not so much for Fay, it was her day off, one of few. As such, she was going to go check up on Rosemary. They had only just parted company but still, Fay worried. Mostly of Melagone coming back to investigate and somehow sensing Derin's bracelet, as her luck just seems to somehow run that way, but Fay was sure this wouldn't happen. Bela had not been pleased about Mela's 'lack of attention to the case'. Shaking her head Fay leaped over a fallen log, landing silently before continuing on her way.

She moved through the small town, quickly finding the Inn. Stepping inside Fay pulled down her hood and looked around. Rosemary was no-where to be seen... but there was music playing. Such beautiful music. Fay sought for the source, and upon finding it, felt her jaw drop open slightly. A tiny girl was playing a stringed instrument, her voice rising above the tune to accompany it. Fay felt herself being drawn to it and didn't resist it. Moving over she sat at a table by the small girl, waving off the serving girl.

"You play well, little one, may I ask your name?" Fay asked when the tune was finished.

Zinsk
Outsider
Name: Raspberry
Race: Kender

Re: Gnomish Intentions.

Post by Zinsk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 am

It was the second night that Raspberry had played in this Inn. The Keeper, a kind and portly man had taken to her instantly. This didn't surprise her in the least, she was used to it and in all honesty used her personal appeal as a means to an end.

She gently plucked the strings as she played the sad tune, singing with the voice of a Nightingale;

Splendid did the summer end,
Dressing autumn in golds and red,
Thatchers combed to seal rooftops tight,
For winter's cold would soon come bite.

Children bundled as mother's bustled,
As swirling leaves were tossed and rustled,
Where oh summer's sun did lay,
Replaced by low lying drizzled gray.

March onward bring the stores inside,
Our works now done, our strengths spent pride,
Blessings be to thanks we owe,
For soon comes fast old winter's snow.

For spirit can overcome all cold,
The hearth fire snaps as tales are told,
With dark the father's bundle families warm,
Watching with vigilance to fight the storm.

She strummed and swayed as silence filled the room. Almost all the patrons were fixed on her and she finished the song, opening her eyes to thunderous applause. She smiled and stood on the stool she had been provided and curtsied politely and then leapt to the floor with a soft thud.

As she walked to a booth off to the side where her pack and cloak were setting a delightful and soft looking person spoke to her. She looked up with her bright, crystal blue eyes and spoke with a lilt of cheer and happiness in her voice, "Why thank-you mad'am. My name is Raspberry, Raspberry Fiddlebow, and who might you be?"

She turned as the bar maid tapped her gently on the shoulder, "Orin said to give this to you, for your throat." Raspberry smiled sweetly and reached up taking the cup of tea and nodding, "And please tell Orin I thank him." She lifted the tea cup and smiled at the Bar Keep who was still applauding her performance, She turned back to the stranger and sipped her tea, looking over the brim of her cup as she waited for her to respond.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Fay smiled warmly, at the small girl.

"I am Fayane Tyme, though you may call me Fay, should you so choose." Fay murmured. She eyed the small girl, such a level of cheer and courtesy... it was odd, something felt off. Fay tilted her head, still smiling.

"Now what are you doing here, little Raspberry. Surely you are not just a traveling musician." Fay asked, voice teasing. She suspected that the girl was likely doing just that, but something about her clothes and the way she held herself suggested something else... just what it was Fay couldn't quite put her finger on.

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Raspberry smiled and nodded, responding politely as she climbed up into the booth bench and sat on a stack of books, "Well then Fay, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She sipped her tea and smiled with a thankful nod as a half drunken patron walked by and commented on how beautiful her performance was.

Looking back at Fay she smiled as the comment was presented about her not truly being a traveling musician. She could hear in Fay's voice that the comment was off the cuff and half joking but also a probing question. Being keen to these sorts of things she picked up on it immediately and simply nodded with a smile as she gestured for the young woman to come in closer. Through a whisper Raspberry spoke, "In fact Fay, I am a spy, sent by the Dwarves to discover the secrets of the metallurgy practiced by the humans in this region." She winked and pressed a finger to her lips, gesturing to keep it quiet and then leaned back in her seat giggling.

"In fact, I am a traveling artist, and Orin was kind enough to hire me for a few nights to perform here. I have seen much of the world, and could not have chosen a profession more suited to what I crave most, adventure." She smiled and sipped her tea again, watching Fay. Fay might pick up that Raspberries voice was smooth and steady, and there was not a hint of deception in it, but her eyes were searching her new acquaintance over with incredible attention to details, as if she too was suspicious of something lingering below the surface.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 pm

"In fact Fay, I am a spy, sent by the Dwarves to discover the secrets of the metallurgy practiced by the humans in this region." She winked and pressed a finger to her lips, gesturing to keep it quiet and then leaned back in her seat giggling.

"In fact, I am a traveling artist, and Orin was kind enough to hire me for a few nights to perform here. I have seen much of the world, and could not have chosen a profession more suited to what I crave most, adventure."
Fay's blue eyes danced, so this girl had a sense of humor. But she was also keen; Fay could feel the weighing looks and mentally thanked her father. Fay closed her eyes and smiled truly, all her suspicion hidden behind the careful mask she had created to lure her victims in.

"You are an artist? That is quite the talent little one! I can barely write much less handle a paint brush." Fay chuckled before leaning back against her chair comfortably and politely gazing on the small woman.

"Tell me, Raspberry, where do you play usually? I can't help but to wonder if you simply play at the cities Inn's or if you play for the wealthy as well. Such a talent as yours... it would be such a shame to waste it on the drunks who are oft found here." Just what was it about this tiny woman that had Fay's gut sending her warnings? She looked and acted completely harmless... but Fay refused to lower her guard. One thing that had been drilled into her mind throughout both her assassin and guards training: never judge a book by its cover.

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Raspberry watched Fay as she spoke, looking for revelation within the face. It was one of the things she did, to draw out the secrets through the subtleties of human (or non-human) behaviors, to interpret and piece together the puzzle. It was her mother's blood, the cold blood of an assassin and thief that coursed through her veins as much as that of the pacifist artist her father was, and though she chose more to be a thief than a killer, there were times when death was a necessity to get the job done. Fay had a look about her that spoke of the hidden nature behind the mask, there was calculation in her eyes and probing in her voice. Raspberry took note of this and respected it, for she was doing the exact same thing.

The words were like a song in her small pointy ears, "...do you play for the wealthy as well." This was what she was in town for, it was always the purpose of her performances, for the guilded rose had thorns under her mismatched clothing, stealing things was her LIFE. She maintained her cool demeanor, now was not the time to spring the trap, if Fay was an employee or somehow otherwise connected with wealthy individuals Raspberry would play that hand, and find a way in. "Why of course Miss Fay, perhaps you have not heard of the Fiddlebows, but we are accomplished performers for generations back! I have played for Kings, Dukes, Dignitaries, Diplomats and Princes. I have overseen the melodies of royal weddings and the celebrations that follow the birth of children. I pride myself on being invited to such events!"

"I play the dives too, as far as I am concerned there is nothing below my art, for even the drunkards enjoy a good tune. I mean, look around, the salt of the earth applauding a simple harvest song to welcome winter, there is no finer joy for an artist than to bring a smile to the faces of those who appreciate her work."

She sipped her tea and sat back, the bait was set upon the hook, now to see if Fay would nibble and expose the question. Would this woman be the key to new treasures for her to acquire? Time would tell, for as good a musician as Raspberry was what she loved more than anything was to steal, she truly enjoyed it and her talents as such far out paced her ability to play a melody.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:08 am

Fay saw that flash of delighted greed before it was carefully hidden. Ahhh... so that was the game she played. Fay was sure of it, Ms. Raspberry Fiddlebow was more than just your average musician. Fay's eyes danced delightedly, oh yes... Miss. Raspberry was most interesting.

"I wouldn't know, as I am not gifted with such things. However, I can understand the level of delight you take from your gift. I'm sure our very own Captain would love to hear you play, Bela may as well. They both have fine tastes for the arts." Okay so maybe half of that last sentence wasn't true - but she was certain both of them would be able to spot her as the con artist she was. A thought occured to Fay - Raspberry was new to the town. She didn't know where any of the wealthy people resided... hmm. Fay tilted her head and smiled at the younger woman.

"You know, Miss Raspberry, I do believe you'll love this town, and Marn as well. Perhaps you'd like a tour of the city?"

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

This was easy, in fact it was too easy and instantly Raspberry had red flags raising all through her mind. This "Fay" could be an agent of the Magistrate or some other "law". It was true that Raspberry had never been caught, not that she had never been a suspect but she had always managed to elude capture. It wouldn't surprise her if there was more than one agent of some Lord or Duke still on the prowl looking to catch up with her and question her. Fay was pushing in a little too quickly for Raspberry's liking and she took note of this. She was new in town and she didn't know who was who yet, she didn't like this sudden enthusiastic interest, it was too convenient and aroused suspicion within her.

The mention of playing for the "Captain" confirmed her feelings, perhaps Fay wasn't a ghost from the past, but she was certainly working for or representing SOMEONE of the military or other law enforcement type agency, and this wouldn't do at all. Raspberry enjoyed her secret trade immensely but there was one thing she treasured more than any golden bauble, her freedom. She didn't allow any of this suspicion to show, and she would continue to play the game, but she was now on high alert and like many towns behind her she could slip out of this one and no one would be the wiser.

"Well, if your Captain and Bela would like to hear me I am playing here again tomorrow evening, Orin has asked me to play three nights, this being only the second. I would love to have you bring them by, it's always a delight to play for those who have a penchant for the arts."

She smiled but it was less sweet and more the look of an unquestionable resolve. She sipped her tea and spoke again, "As for a tour, I appreciate the offer however I tend to sleep rather late due to performing into the wee hours and I would hate to keep you from your duties with the Captain you report to. If we happen to cross paths tomorrow maybe you could show me the details of the common areas, the town square, the market, things of those locale, I don't see any reasons to become familiar with areas other than those I would need for my basic necessity's."

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 am

Fay mentally berated herself for her stupidity. Damn it all she blew her cover, the cold tone showed that. Father did always say she was a terrible player... Mentally shaking herself free of her berating she smiled a warm smile.

"I shall pass this message along then, Miss Raspberry." Fay stood and stretched, humming when small pops sounded along her back. "Would you play another tune before I go? I love music and cannot help but to ask anyone who can play, to do so, as I cannot." Fay's eyes were genuinely hopeful. Certainly, she knew, she and Raspberry were likely at odds with each other and would be for a long time due to their professions, however... that didn't mean Fay didn't have to not play ignorant to what she suspected Raspberry did besides the arts.

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:11 pm

There was enough of a reaction that Raspberry knew she had caught the scent of a law enforcer. When Fay back peddled non-verbally Raspberry simply sipped her tea and inhaled deeply. She watched as Fay stood and smiled as she made her request.

"Why of course Ms. Fay, I would be happy to play another song for you, in fact...," She waved to Orin who almost immediately came over with a look of enthusiasm that blatantly showcased the fact that Raspberry had him wrapped around her finger. She smiled and spoke to the Inn Keeper, "Orin, this is my new friend Fay, I would like you to bring her whatever she likes and please take it out of my pay for the night." Orin smiled and nodded, "Absolutely Raspberry, whatever the lady likes." He turned to Fay as he said this, and after Fay's response he turned promptly and sent the Bar Maid back with Fay's request.

Raspberry hopped down off the booth bench and walked up to the stage, many patrons clapped loudly and Fay would feel a suddenly different atmosphere, for a gruff bunch they became eerily quiet and attentive. There was something about this little gnomes music that had caught their attention and they poised themselves for more of her ear candy. She smiled and curtsied politely and leaving her lute where it lay walked a few steps further back to a harp that was set on the stage. She sat and tipped it back against her shoulder.

She spoke so the room could hear, "This next song is dedicated to new friendships." Without looking at Fay to respectfully not draw attention to her she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply as she began to pluck the strings. Instantly the room was filled with a delightful melody that seemed to flow like silk pulled across smooth skin. There was not an error in the world at that very moment, only harmony and thoughts of happiness.

Raspberry's song filled the room for many minutes, and as she plucked the strings to its conclusion it would be obvious to Fay that whatever was lingering under the surface, there was a love and dedication to the arts in Raspberry that couldn't be denied. She stood and faced the crowd, bowing her head and picking up her lute. She glanced at Fay and smiled as she sat upon the small stool once again, continuing her performance for the assembled.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 pm

After the man scurried away with Fay's order and Raspberry began to play, Fay did feel the change in the atmosphere. Blue eyes watched, entranced, as the small woman played, amused when she had dedicated the song to Fay. She was also touched when she saw the pure level of enjoyment in the small woman's eyes and decided that maybe she just wouldn't report this suspicious woman to the captain. Maybe it was her level of innocence, maybe it was her pure love for music, but Fay could not find herself thinking evil of this woman.

Or, Fay thought dryly She could be casting a spell upon me with her music... but that didn't seem to fit. No... magic didn't seem to be the most logical conclusion, however Fay would keep her guard up. Fay clapped delightedly with the rest of the assembled, amused when she overheard a conversation between three men. Two of them seem to be trying to convince the third that Raspberry was the girl for him. Similar conversations were quickly flitting about the place and Fay raised her eyebrows. Maybe magic wasn't so far off after all...

"You played beautifully, Raspberry, however I think you may have cast a spell on the patrons, the seem to have fallen in love with you." Fay teased playfully, though she kept an ear open for anything remotely threatening. She really didn't want a fight breaking out.

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Raspberry chuckled as Fay said her words, she responded through her laughter, "There is no magic in my music, it is simply the emotional response when a sliver of joy is introduced into someone's life." She looked up and smiled as a half drunken Dwarf approached them. He placed his tankard on the table heavily and looked across at the halfling, barely seeming to notice that Fay was there.

"You know Lass, I have been here these past two nights and I must say I liked what you played better last yesterday." Raspberry glanced sideways at Fay and a mysteriously devious smile crossed her lips. Looking back at their new guest Raspberry responded diplomatically, "Well sir, it is nice of you to offer your unsolicited critique." The dwarf narrowed his eyes slightly and spoke, "Unsoli...what? What does that mean?" Raspberry smiled and looked across at him as she rested her head on her elbows. "Well, let's just say that as water rolls off a ducks back, so does that which comes to me 'unsolicited'".

The dwarf furrowed his bushy eyebrows and glanced at her with annoyance, "Are you saying I am a duck?" Raspberry shoke her head gently and then Fay would see the diplomatic face change into that of something much more impish. "Why no dearest Master Dwarf, I am comparing your beard to that of an Elves, and I think the Elf won." Of course, the comparison was an insult as most Elven races were incapable of growing facial hair and most Dwarves saw their beard as a symbol of pride. The Dwarf's face instantaneously filled with rage and he reached around behind his back. His hand was barely on his axe handle when Raspberry lept up and across the table, wrapping her legs around his neck and swinging herself around so she was on his shoulders. The act not only put her in a position of safety from his attack but her right leg was now pressed against his bicep and pinned it to his side so he could not unsnap his weapon.

A shiny silver dagger held fast and proper that had appeared in her right hand as fast as lightening strikes was pressed gently against the skin of the Dwarfs neck and he instantly began to sweat. Fay might notice that the dagger had the slightest discoloration along the edge as well as about 4 centimeters down from the tip, a clear indication of dried poison. Raspberry whispered into the Dwarfs ear, "Now now, just because I am little doesn't mean I will be bullied." She reached down with her left hand and unclasped the axe, handing the weapon to Fay. She whispered again to the Dwarf. "I suggest you go finish catching your buzz and then sleep this off. Surly Fay can see to it that your weapon is returned when you are in a more responsible state of mind."

She climbed off the Dwarf who collapsed to the floor and scuttled off. Raspberry moved back across the table and sat again on the booth bench, looking across at Fay with a telling glance as she spoke under her breath, just loud enough for Fay to hear ... "Perhaps, we are both keeping secrets?"

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Fay had watched the scene progress, impressed with the small woman's speed. She had seen how the little woman had handled both the dwarf and knife; she was even more impressed with the fact that little Raspberry could even lift the dwarf's weapon. After setting said weapon on the table, Fay nodded when Raspberry mentioned the later return of it. She watched in mild amusement as the dwarf scuttled away before turning to Raspberry.

"Perhaps, we are both keeping secrets?" Raspberry murmured low enough that only they could hear it. Fay nodded slowly in acknowledgment.

"Perhaps." Fay murmured in return. Fay eyed the small woman, she had been right to not judge her by appearances. She hadn't missed the tell-tale sign of poison on that knife.

A small commotion had started once the dwarf had gone back to his friends, how were now coming towards them, looking very angry indeed. Fay raised an eyebrow when one of them slammed their tankard down before her, the drink splashing out the sides. Fay looked down at the drink before looking back up at the small group of angry dwarfs, her eyes glittering bemusedly.

"Can we help you fine gentlemen?" Fay asked politely, a frown passing her lips when an axe embedded itself into the table just in front of her nose.

"Ye shaddup misseh..." The dwarf slurred before turning to Raspberry. Well Fay simply would have none of that. A quick movement had the dwarf's axe out of the table, another had the head in the dwarf's stomach, knocking the wind out of him even as Fay pulled the axe away and slammed her fist into the back of his head, effectively knocking the drunken dwarf out. Fay looked up at his shocked brethren and spoke calmly.

"I will suggest you other do not attack me, the charges for attacking the guard are high in price." Fay met every one of their eyes before nodding at their fallen comrade.

"You will take him and begone, I will not allow such behavior in a place such as this." Fay told them, her eyes narrowing when they didn't obey at once.

"Now." She growled, amused when they scrambled. She turned to Raspberry.

"I suppose that display has shown you a couple of my secrets." Fay murmured to the smaller woman, slightly apologetically.

"But I couldn't allow them to treat either of us in such a drunken manner."

Zinsk
Outsider

Post by Zinsk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:22 am

At the appearance of the Dwarf and the subsequent slamming of the axe head into the table Raspberry discreetly brought her right hand behind her back and wrapped her small fingers around the handle of another dagger. As the Dwarf told Fay to shut up and began to turn his head back to her Raspberry began to slide the blade out of it's scabbard, she had an instant of thought that this might be her last night in town.

Fay's movement was so quick Raspberry barely was able to track it, and in less than a second the Dwarf was flat on his back drooling on himself as his buddies looked on, mouths a gap. Fay gave her commands and the men drug their fallen comrade away, and now Fay was in the possession of two battle axes. As Fay turned back to look at her, Raspberry leaned forward on her elbows, cradling her head in the palm of her hands as she looked into Fay's eyes. Fay explained herself, almost half embarrassed and Raspberry finally let it slip and burst out in a belly laugh, leaning back and wiping a tear away from her small cheek.

"Wow Fay, I expected that as a member of the guard you would be well trained, but THAT was impressive." She regarded the woman a few seconds and leaned forward, speaking quietly, "So... We have you a highly trained, or at minimum a highly effective member of the law and me, well, I think it goes without saying what I am... I guess this begs the question, where do we go from here my new friend, Fay?"

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Fay was about to reply when yet another group of dwarfs showed. This time... it was much, much larger. Fay shook her head slowly. This wasn't good.

"Gentlemen, I'm starting to believe that maybe I wasn't clear the first time. Attack me or my friend and you face serious charges." They all grinned.

"That is if anyone finds out." A definitely semi-sober dwarf chuckled, drawing his weapon, several following suit with a small chuckle. "No-one insults out brethren's honor and get's away with it." Fay winced and muttered to Raspberry:

"You just HAD to insult the beard didn't you..." Fay turned back to the dwarfs just in time to catch a blade with her arm guard. Gritting her teeth Fay quickly knocked the blade back and drew her blades, the sound of the metal singing triggering her assassin's mode. Quickly she looked to see who'd help and saw only only a handful of humans, who she knew wouldn't help. Who could blame them? Apparently 3/4 of the bar had been full of dwarfs, attracted by the small musician. Her blades caught another weapon before she had to spin out of the way of another, using the momentum to slam the hilt of her blade into the back of a very careless dwarf. The dwarf, knocked unconscious by the force, toppled over to allow Fay to see... that she was alone in this fight. Looking around, smashing another dwarf upside the head, Fay noticed Raspberry was missing. Growling curses under her breath Fay moved fast, moving so that she was able to fight without destroying too much property.

Blue eyes turned grey as she sank into her assassin's state of mind. Everything was meant to kill, every vital point, flaw int their stances, screamed out to her. Everything was logical, sharp and precise. Moving she seemed to blur to the drunken dwarfs. She danced and moved among them, her blades hitting and knocking them unconscious, as she didn't want to kill them and cause an issue. A handful of hit landed, wounds bled sluggishly and muscles screamed in pain even as Fay continued to dance in the fight. It took awhile, and a good number more hits, before the inn was silent once more. The barmaids and other staff had long since left, as did the non-aggressive patrons of the bar. Fay sighed. So much for her day off... turning she limped to the door and out. Time to write up some reports...