Look What The Wolf Dragged In

The ruins of the ancient fort Marn along the city's western quadrant, including the Shanty Town market.
Illae
Outsider
Name: Illae
Race: Half elf Half human

Look What The Wolf Dragged In

Post by Illae » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:46 pm

She could feel every bump on the road in her back. The mounds of hay helped to cushion the jolts, but not entirely. It was the bumping that woke her, that, and some hacking wet noise coming from somewhere behind her.

Where am I?

She opened her eyes to find a ceiling of grey sky and whispy clouds. Slowly, her groggy thoughts were coming together, and she tried to understand where she was in a piecemeal fashion. The sound of wooden wheels rolling across uneven ground. She inhaled deeply, breathing in the musty smell of wet hay. Then the hacking sound again.

That's a cough from the man up there...the driver. I'm on a cart. I'm moving. She then began to turn over on her side to stand, but was stilled by a sharp pain. She quieted what would have been a wail, clutching her side.

I'm staying still, I'm staying still! And she removed her hand, finding that her palm was now stained red. Opening her coat, she looked down at her left side, a bit along her rib cage and her abdomen. There was a patch on her clothes, dark red and dry along the edges, but growing brighter in color and wet toward the middle. She had been bleeding for a while now, for days. Taking a deep breath, she began to lift the bottom of her shirt to assess the damage, but a harsh bump on the road sent her bouncing, and instead she had to smother another cry in the soggy hay beneath her.

After she had unearthed her face again, Illae took inventory of everything that she remembered. She remembered being in Setkhantos, she was with her family then. She remembered the theft, she remembered being discovered. She remembered staying behind so that her family could escape, and being arrested. She remembered they told her they'd be back for her. And this is where the injury was from--a stick of wood, with nails protruding from the end. When she would not speak, they struck her with it. Days passed in prison, but The Family did not come back for her. So she escaped. She snuck onto a boat. And when the boat landed, she stumbled off, tired and ill, and slept upon the first soft thing she found. And that was the cargo side of a merchant's cart. And now she is awake, however many days later--she remembered at least it was a Friday when she escaped and the boat ride took 3 days--and that cart has rolled somewhere on Pal Tahrenor, and she has no idea where she is. Splendid.

Time to start this, again. Illae thought. And, of course she meant finding The Family, because this was a task that she had been met with before, and one that she did not particularly enjoy. Not at all. Illae listened, and not hearing any voices, she looked around the dreary town she was being carted through. There was no one, at least not immediately where they were. She looked around the back of that cart and grabbed a few things--her bag that she had with her. A few apples and potatoes that were in the hay. A rather nice looking hair brush and couple of metal goblets, that maybe she could sell should need be, and she could use a hair brush in any event. She shoved them all into her sac. She didn't know if the vendor driving the cart ever realized she was there, and she would never find out, because after gathering these things Illae shut her eyes and rolled her body off of the cart. She hit the ground with a thud, landing near some old stone building that seemed to be falling apart. It wasn't a graceful landing but it was effective.

So there she was now. A young woman, covered in straw, taking in shallow, shaking breaths on the broken road of some broken town. At least her coat hid the fact that she was injured. She would have been a sight, had anyone been around to see her. Remarkably, she didn't feel much fear, and decided she would lie there for a few long moments, to recover enough to feel like standing. So Illae laid there, in much the same way that she had in the cart, on her back, eyes barely open, looking up at the gray sky.
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen
Name: Wulf
Race: Half-Elf

Re: Look What The Wolf Dragged In

Post by Wulf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Wulf was walking back into the shanty town, three rabbits hanging from his shoulder. The cart ahead of him had been a surprise, they hadn't seen any traders in town for several weeks. Shrugging, he continued walking down the road. Shayla and her daughter would love the rabbit meat he was bringing, and would most likely invite him to stay for dinner. Shayla made a rabbit stew that was to die for, and since he wasn't a very good cook beyond the basics of fire and meat equaling dinner, she invited him to stay most times he brought food.

He wanted to whistle, but since he wouldn't be able to hear if he was in tune or how loud it was, he didn't want to. He caught movement out of the corner of his eye, and a woman had jumped out, well, more like rolled out, of the cart and was laying in the ditch. That was puzzling. And since she looked as if she had been rolled in a bale of hale and then dumped into the road, it was even more puzzling.

But it was not his business. There were enough problems for the people of the city, that you didn't get involve in other peoples. His conscious, which always sounded like the voice of his mother, began to scold him. The woman could be hurt, or lost. He should help. But I don't help people. Oh really? What about you bringing food to the people that need it? Mother always said that people had no interest but what you could do for them or to hurt you. She's laying in the dust, covered in hay. Literally laying in the road. What is she going to do? Throw dust in your face and punch you in the shin? But I can't talk to her, or hear her, so HA! The inner voice shut up at that, like it usually did. Sighing, he walked towards her anyways. He'd never stop thinking about it if he didn't do something.

Illae
Outsider

Post by Illae » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:05 pm

The piercing pain had begun to quiet into something much duller as she laid there, breathing. It was funny to her, in a way, to see that her hands were tremoring when she raised them to her sides, a bit off of the ground. Her entire body actually felt shakey, as though the wound created a type of unease all throughout her. As she thought this, she wondered if the wound might be infected, and the idea was enough to make her swear out loud, because all she wanted to do was get well as fast as possible to start travelling again.

One more sigh, and Illae thought she'd gathered enough energy to stand. She began to push herself up, but stopped, when she found that her efforts were met by a loud pained moan. Her brow was sweating a bit.

"Well, this is going to be a bit more difficult than I thought." She said aloud to herself. That's when she noticed the sound of foot steps coming up from behind her. Cocking her head back and to the side, she saw a slender, longhaired man with a bushel of furry dead things over his shoulder. A moment, and she could make out that they were rabbits, and another moment and she saw that he was, indeed, walking over towards her.

"Hmm," she thought aloud. "This might be necessary...." She weighed her options. Generally speaking, she did not like receiving help from anyone, let alone strangers. Now, however, she was finding that she had trouble even standing on her own. So Illae raised a hand and wiped the sweat from her brow, and then bent an elbow, casually resting her head against her fist. She flashed a charming grin to this stranger, and waited until he was a little closer before she began to speak.

"Hello there, friend" She began, jovially. "I seem to have found myself in a bit of a spot here, and I'm wondering if you'd be kind enough to assit me?"
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen

Post by Wulf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Now, how in the hell am I supposed to know what she said?

She was long and slender, almost to the point like someone had grabbed her by both ends and stretched her. She had said something, but he was too far away to be able to read her lips. This frustrated him beyond belief. Sometimes he thought about what was worse. Being born not able to hear and not knowing what sounds that you were missing, or going deaf through and accident like he had and at least having the memories of sounds. Shaking his head, he pulled back his hair, pointing at his ear. Then he shook his head no. He repeated this a couple of times, and hopefully it would get through to her. He could see where some of the dirt that covered her was turning into mud. There shouldn't be enough sweat for that, it wasn't that hot. He was puzzled by it.

Crouching down in front of her, he unhooked his water skin from his belt and offered it to her. Whatever was wrong with her, it was obvious at to him that some water would help her, or do her some kind of good at least. He looked her over. Her skin was several shades darker than his own, but that was no small feat. Several people thought he would be darker because he spent so much time in the forests, but with a constant covering of interwoven branches and leaves, the deep forest that he spent much of his time in was actually very shaded and dark. It looked like she was in the open a lot, and her hair was a myriad of colors as well, what he could see of it. Something caught his attention. Her ears... her ears were pointed! Not sharply, not enough to get that hated slur knife-ears, but pointed enough that she couldn't be a full human. She had to be like him, a half-breed.

Illae
Outsider

Post by Illae » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Illae watched as the man drew closer, and the motion that he did with his finger, pointing to his ear, shaking his head, repeat. Ah, so he’s deaf The thought came to her, and she expressed her disappointment in a brief, open-mouthed frown. Then she chuckled. “Well, I guess I’ll have to work a bit harder to charm you then.” She had said this while looking at him, and let out another airy chuckle before putting her arm down, and laying her head on the ground once again. She felt out of breath, and sighed laboriously as he knelt down beside her. He held his water skin out to her and she retrieved it, raising it to him slightly as a gesture of thanks. “I appreciate it,” she spoke, nodding her head a bit. She then began to drink, lifting her back off the ground, a wince sounding automatically from her lips. She shuddered a bit as she moved, and her hand went to her side again. The side of her coat now felt wet and muddy, and she furrowed her brow, not having realized that she’d bled through it. It was going to be hard to clean. “Well, that’s just great.” She mumbled, looking away from him.

“That’s the problem…” She began, seeming to have forgotten that he was unable to hear her. “I seem to have bumped into—” by that time she was facing him again, and remembered that he was deaf. She started again, speaking slowly, in hopes that he could read her lips. As she spoke, a somewhat puzzled expression grew over her face, as she noticed he was staring at her rather strangely. Was there something wrong with her face, too, that she hadn’t yet discovered? “I seem to have bumped into something—is there something the matter with my face?” The last part of the sentence was blurted out urgently with an edge of concern. She really was worried about this wound in her side, but had no doubt that she would get better, and she’d been through pain before. Her face, however. Well, she liked her face, and it was the means through which she made money quiet often. Whether it was performing for a crowd or charming an unwitting stranger, her looks were one of her tools of the trade, and an important one at that.

Frightened that she had some ghastly lesion that she’d yet to discover, she brought her hand from her side up to her face, feeling it cautiously, trying to look for the sore, the large open, oozing thing that she was afraid was there. “What, where is it?” She moved her hands on reflex rather than intent, and her dirt and blood covered fingers left wet, maroon smears on her skin without her realizing.
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen

Post by Wulf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Wulf watched as she ran her hands over her face distressed. He didn't realize he had been staring that hard. Those smears... that wasn't mud. It was blood, meaning she was probably hurt somewhere. She seemed to be getting frantic, so Wulf hummed what felt like loudly and waved his hands at her. When she looked at him, he pulled back a lock of his hair to expose his own roundly pointed ears. He let his black hair fall back over his ears, and picked a stick up off the ground. Pointing down, he began to scratch in the dirt. Hopefully, she could read the alphabet he had been taught.

"names wulf. ar u hert?" He scratched it in the dirt carefully, his tongue between his teeth, trying to remember the right words. He knew he had gotten it wrong, but there was only so much he could do. He finished the t with a straight scratch through it, and then looked up at her. He pointed down at the words, then pointed at himself. Hopefully she could understand his spelling and bad handwriting.

He hadn't mean to make her think there was something wrong with her face. He felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. What was she supposed to think, him staring at her like that? Your mother would jerk you up by the ear until you apologized for that. Yes, but my mother isn't here, is she? That's not really her fault, you're the one who left her, and your poor father, behind! Don't even start with me about that! You do realize the entire time you've been arguing with yourself, you've been staring at her again? ....I hate you. I am you. That's besides the point. You're staring.

Wulf felt his face heat up with even more embarrassment.

Illae
Outsider

Post by Illae » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:57 am

Illae felt her anxiety rapidly increase until the man in front of her produced a loud hum and began waving his hands in front of her face. This stopped her movement, and she remained frozen for just a few seconds, her hand resting on her cheek. When he pointed to his ear it took her a moment to comprehend. “Yes, yes, I understand that you can’t hear me.” Her tone was light and dismissive, but then she looked again and noted the way that his ear pointed. Not a lot, just enough, just like hers. She smiled broadly at him then. “Ahh,” She breathed knowingly. “So, we are the same then.” There was a twinkle in her eye as she nodded to him. In truth, Illae really didn’t know what she was, having been found abandoned when she was just a baby. Common conjecture, however, was that she was part elfin. How much was anybody’s guess. Though she liked meeting other elves, or, partial elves, it didn’t matter to her so much. It clearly did matter to this young gentleman, however, so much so that he stared for an awkward moment and pointed it out. Whatever would make him like her more was important right now, as she needed him, if only for a short while.

She took the stick from him then, trading him back the waterskin. “Wulf.” She read, looking up at him. “I am I-L-L-A-E.” She spoke, and spelled the name in the dirt, pointing to herself. Then, for good measure and a touch of sentiment, she underlined both names then pointed between the two of them “We are the,” she wrote “S-A-M-E.” She tugged on her ear, meeting Wulf’s gaze when she did. This whole while she had been sitting up, and it required a bit of exertion, sweat beads forming on her forehead once again. She wiped them away, pointing to his word “hert” and then nodding her head. “I F-E-L-L” She wrote in the dirt. It was only partially a lie. Illae then took a shaky hand and opened her coat, revealing the deep red blotch that was created in the fabric on her left side.
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen

Post by Wulf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Same. She had said. Maybe they were. In the ways of blood at least. Contrasted side by side, he could be no different than her, with her wild hair and dark skin. His suspicions peaked. They weren't the same. No one was the same as him. Right now, he would make sure she was okay, because his mother would have wanted it. She would try to harm him though, everyone did.

"Tsk." Wulf clucked his tongue at the woman. There was not a lot of blood, but it had soaked the shirt she was wearing so there must have been either a lot at one time or it had steadily bled. Well boy do something for her! I swear to the spirits I will beat you to death. You do realize that I'm a part of your personality? That you only make conversations in your head because you don't have friends? To kill me would therefore imply that you had killed yourself. I hate you. Will you shut up and help her out?

Wulf took his pack off his back and began to rummage through it. He pulled out his emergency supplies, grabbing bandages and some cream a woman in the town made. It was supposed to make bleeding stop.

He started scratching in the dirt again, but couldn't remember how to spell medicine. Then he hit on what he would put.

"Creem stop blood. Wrap bandiges round it. Take u to doktor."

He tapped on her shoulders, pointing to the ground. He then made a reclining motion with his hands. Abdomen wounds were more likely to hurt and bleed when you were bent up or sitting like she was. The strong sunlight beat on his back and not for the first time he wished he could transfer his healing power to another person. It would be more helpful if he could help others.

Vane Ulmar
Outsider
Name: Vane Ulmar
Race: Human

Post by Vane Ulmar » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Dark clouds filled the sky, as if a rain was about to come, the wind was cold and blew into the faces of any passerby, and the grass was wet from the morning dew. All that mixed with the ghastly atmosphere of the ruins, making the district seem somewhat haunted.

The quiet atmosphere was interrupted when there was a clashing sound, as if a metal pot fell to the ground. It was followed by another sound exactly like that and again and again. As the sounds got louder a figure approached the ruins. The figure got closer and closer until it went around the corner, emerging from the shadows, into the light.

Vane took a deep breath. Carrying two longswords all the way to Shim and then Marn was a hard task. Even though Vane's last camp was not far from the city, by the time he got here he was exhausted. "Probably the armor." - he guessed and, with a sigh, sat down on a nearby step. At first he just sat, doing nothing at all, just staring at the sky, but then he reached into his pouch and pulled out a small piece of bread. He dug his teeth into the crust when suddenly he heard voices and a thud. Vane lifted his rear of the stone step and looked around. The thud was followed by one voice which was later joined by another. It sounded like it was coming from behind a wall, so Vane decided to investigate, and started slowly approaching the voices. Step by step he neared a wall, and looked around it's edge to see two people. One was a woman who appeared to be lying on the ground and writing something out to the other man. Vane decided to use his eyesight and squinted, trying to see the faces of the people. "Elves!" - he hissed to himself. He never really hated elves, but most of them used magic, which was the thing Vane really despised - "Well, you aren't fighting them now!" He decided to keep it together and be friendly, so he went around the wall and approached the elves, with a friendly wave - "Hello! Need any help, friends?"

Illae
Outsider

Post by Illae » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Illae watched as Wulf went through his bag, retrieving items that would, presumably, help her. Bandages, and some mysterious container. “Cream stop blood—ah! So that…well, all right.” She was a bit wary of that balm, with its somewhat lumpy consistency, and dark flecks, probably bits of herbs mixed in. And she especially didn’t like that last part, “Take u to doktor.” She would prefer a quick fix—medicine, bandages, and help to her feet. What more could a doctor do, besides keep her there longer? Plus, she didn’t really like doctors, never had. She didn’t trust them, and preferred to be treated by people in her family. Here, however, she was left with little choice, so she went along with it, deciding she could likely avoid the doctor and start off on her own once he got her standing. Nodding her assent, Illae slowly lowered her back to the ground. She winced a bit as she did, and let out breath of air.

Once down, Illae shuffled just the smallest amount, trying to get comfortable. She looked up at the stranger above her and realized that she did not like the feeling of lying there. In that position, his image was suddenly imposing—dark hair, green eyes, the three scars that traveled their way down his cheek. Where had he gotten them? An expression of stoic calmness even as he helped her. She felt vulnerable, helpless, truly like a person in need of one’s care. It was a feeling that unsettled her, and she frowned quickly, turning her head away to not look at this towering face any longer.

When she turned, she took the opportunity to lift her shirt. It took effort, but she decided she wanted to do something, thoroughly disenchanted with the idea of this man assisting her in every way. She lifted the edge of her shirt carefully, the fabric slick, and sticking slightly to her skin in some areas. A soft groan escaped her lips as she moved and the wound was revealed.

It was swollen, with an area of bruising wider than her open hand. There was blood, not too severe an amount, smeared over the site, and evidence where some had dried at one point on her skin. There were several holes in her side, varying in width, with the largest being about the size of a small coin. If any had begun to close, they were surely ripped open again when she had toppled off of the cart. One of the puncture wounds had something lodged inside, either metal or wood, but one couldn’t be certain which at this angle. “Aye, that’s what that looks like.” She mused, eyeing a particularly enflamed looking fissure on her side. She then lied back down again, allowing Wulf to do his job. “There you are.” She spoke, still looking away from him.

And that is when she heard footsteps again, and a rather chipper “Hello!” Illae felt a little put off by the appearance of this man, all suited up in armor, two long swords on his person. Was he serious, or was he threatening them? Experience with law enforcement had never been good for Illae, and its most recent evidence was the wound on her side. She hardened her expression, looking up fiercely at the unknown man.

“We’re not doing anything wrong here,” She began. “No trouble.”
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen

Post by Wulf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Son of a bitch. That looks like it hurt. Aren't you glad you stopped to help? Shut up and let me concentrate.

For once, the voice listened, and allowed him to concentrate and do his job. The smaller pinpricks were dealt with easily enough. A little dab on his finger, and then a little dab on the wound. That big one was a different story. It had something in it, and his fingers wouldn't be able to grasp it. He also didn't have the equipment to get it out, he highly doubted she would be okay with him digging it out with his knife or an arrow. She would have to go to the doctor if she wanted that taken out. If she didn't get it out, it could end badly. He wished he could just ask. Just say, can I dig this out of your side so it doesn't infect your blood and kill you slowly? He could talk, but he couldn't control it. He didn't know if he was saying it loud enough, saying it right, any of it. He couldn't have that. They hated him enough for who he was, his bloodline. If they say a weakness, they would exploit it to their own ends, make fun of him. Even if he couldn't hear it, it would still hurt him. He put some water in the palm of his hand and slowly washed one of the bloodier areas. This wasn't a regular wound. Someone had been trying to hurt, trying to inflict pain. Not his problem though. He would get her to the doctor, make sure she was fine, and then leave her be. That should shut the voice up.

He felt her tense under his hands. Since he had lost his hearing, his other senses and his touch perception had picked up some. He could feel the vibrations of her body through his hands, could feel her talking. Acting like he was reaching for a bandage, he loosened the knife at his side. He was quick, he was agile, and a thrown dagger could buy him time to lift and fire his bow. He didn't even look up. If she jerked any, any at all, he would roll away from her and throw the dagger. The way she jerked should tell him where the threat was coming from. If not, he was used to making a snap shot, sighting and shooting as it were. His bow was still strung thankfully. He had learned not to take his weapon apart unless he was actually hiking the woods, not to hunt but to be there. Daytime in the city was dangerous, but the night was even worse.

Taking his fingers, he traced out by the wounds, trying to not hit any of the punctures. "If danger, move hand. Will fight."

Vane Ulmar
Outsider

Post by Vane Ulmar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Vane way slightly surprised by the woman's reply and backed away a little when she quickly replied. To that he simply lifted his hands in the air - "Relax, lady." After that he smiled, chuckled a little and lowered his hands and step by step started walking towards the couple - "I'm not a guard, chill out." As soon as Vane got close the sight of the other elf, who was slightly crouching next to his companion made Vane slightly nauseous. The sight of the scars on his face, the elf's calm state, the way he didn't react to Vane's approach at all and his bare feet and slightly tattered clothes made Vane want to have a drink to calm himself. But all those thoughts washed away as soon as Vane saw the red spot in the she-elf's side. Vane's smile quickly disappeared and he started approaching the elves, this time faster - "Damn, those are pretty serious wounds. How the hell did that happen?" When Vane was a few feet away from the couple he was slightly annoyed by the lack of responses from the other elf and came up to him, bent down and quickly tapped him on the shoulder, asking in a raised voice - "What are you, deaf? Oi!"

Illae
Outsider

Post by Illae » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 pm

“I fell.” It was almost a snarl. Illae glared at the man, unhappy at the way that he intruded on them and her business. Who was he, to question her in such a way? He claimed not to be a guard, but he had an air of entitlement and self-importance that screamed corrupt law enforcement. It screamed danger. She would not trust him. If not a guard, what business had he, dressed the way he was? Was he a nobleman? A knight? Was there some battle going on in this land that she was not aware of? She looked down then, away from him, to see what Wulf was doing at her side. She read his message in the dirt.

Had Wulf been able to hear, Illae would have answered something akin to “He has no business here and he’s moving on,” but Wulf could not hear, so she could not say this. She wanted to make some sort of eye contact but he would not look up. Taking her hand, she was about to write a message when the armored man advanced. He reached over to Wulf, tapping him, and the movement, followed by his loud demand, made her flinch.

He wants a fight, was her immediate thought.

The next few moments happened quickly.

The instant that the man touched Wulf, she felt a definite shift in energy. She was never one to engage in altercations and she was certain in that moment that there would be one. Almost immediately, Illae had summoned up some strength and turned herself away from the two of them. She would force herself to get up no matter how painful, if she had to, and now she was prepared.
Last edited by Illae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wulf
Citizen

Post by Wulf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Her hand moved. When it did, his body aligned in a way that would let his arm snap forward, and then he would roll to the left, where his bow sat against his pack. The electric energy that seemed to charge through his blood at the moment made his pupil expand. He felt hyper alert, like he could feel the vibrations of the air as the man moved towards him. Wulf. Don't kill him. Your parents did not raise a killer. I won't, I promise. When he was touched, Wulf looked up and grinned, his dilated pupils creating a bit of a sinister visage with his pale skin and dark hair.

"Tsk Tsk." He clucked his tongue against his teeth, not caring if the man could hear it. It felt right.

With a speed developed through years of hunting and power from the work of using a bow, building traps, and carrying heavy animals, his arm snapped forward, punching the man directly in his crotch. So few seemed to protect those areas. Which was interesting, considering how important it was. He didn't know if he connected directly with a hard hit, something that could put the man down or not. As soon as he felt his fist connect with something, he sprang away, grabbing his bow and nocking one of his arrows and training it on the man. Armor plates. He has armor plates. Wulf didn't even waste the concentration to respond to the though, instead focusing on the mans throat. Harder to hit, easier to dodge, maybe not at this distance. Wulf sidestepped to keep him in the view he wanted. Through the side of the throat, nicking the artery, then punch through the spine at an angle. Should break it, or at least cut his nerve chord, if not, artery would bleed him quick.

Vane Ulmar
Outsider

Post by Vane Ulmar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Vane didn't expect the punch and bent over after the elf hit him between the legs. "I knew I needed a steel plate there too!" - was the first thing that he thought about after the punch, and the first action was to cover the area with his hands and walk backwards a little. The punch wasn't too strong, but a hit in that area is always a stunning one.

When Vane looked up he saw the elf holding his bow with a readied arrow and aiming it at Vane. He tried to think of ways to avoid the arrow shot, but none came to mind: Vane had no shield and they were in an open area, any old walls and buildings being at least 10 feet away. "Fine..." - murmured Vane, and did what he hated doing, simply lift his hands in the air and tried to talk his way out of it. The elf woman was still there, and Vane still saw her wounds, which were swelled and colored almost her whole side red. Now it was obvious that the man wasn't going to reply and the woman didn't fully trust Vane. "Girl." - he tried to convince her, turning his head to her - "I think we have something in common. But I'm not a guard, I'm little more than a mercenary, and you need a doctor, the sooner the better, and this isn't getting us anywhere!"