A Werewolf Alone

The ruins of the ancient fort Marn along the city's western quadrant, including the Shanty Town market.
Gia Rilan
Citizen
Name: Gia
Race: Werewolf

A Werewolf Alone

Post by Gia Rilan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:03 am

Gia rose just before dawn and stretched, pelt catching the dawn light and turning it into silver tips on the deep reddish brown fur. She heaved a sigh and trotted down the temple steps, down to the river. She drank her fill of the water, careful not to fall into the river again. It hadn't been fun the first time, and she wasn't about to go for a second time around to see if it was any better.

After she drank her water she hunted down a few small animals and ate them happily, blinking as the sun rose fully over the horizon. She snarled lightly at it and then began to think about Mavarion. She didn't know what time he would typically wake up, but she thought about waking him up anyway, seeing if there was anything that she could do.

She walked back up the stairs and nosed the temple door open and slipped inside. The wolf sneezed--the air was still full of the sulfur and blood smell from a few nights before, and the sensitive lupine nose didn't like it. She tried to pick up a scent of Mavarion somewhere in the mess of heady smells, becuase he wasn't where she had left him the night before. She walked up the aisle, sniffing lightly.

He wasn't near the alter or the front of the temple, so she ran a lap around the perimeter of the place. Gia still couldn't find him. She was beginning to get a little worried and she barked out a summons, only to remember that he would have no idea what she meant by her bark. She ran back outside and snatched up her clothing and ran for a stand of thickly grown trees, shifted and put on human attire.

"Mavarion?" She questioned when she was back inside the temple. Her call echoed around the temple walls. "Mav?" He was gone.

She fell back into wolf form, clothes landing on the floor in a muddled heap as she scented heavily again, nose filling with sulfur and dried blood, but no Mavarion. She whined, a noise that hadn't come from her wolf throat in a while, and then walked slowly back out into the morning light. He had abandoned her. The reddish-brown wolf sat on the steps of the temple and looked out over the landscape, back into the waking city of Marn, and another whine escaped her throat.

She let loose a howl, not really caring about the humans who might hear her. She had been abandoned again, by one of the few to ever be truly tolorating to her. Her howl cut off when she ran out of air, and she lay down, a sad wolf on the stairs of a temple.
rent-a-werewolf

Shadowsong
Citizen
Race: Human

Re: A Werewolf Alone

Post by Shadowsong » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:03 pm

A path lay before him, like bloody footprints in the mind's eye.

Clanking from plate armour echoed as he moved, as herald to his every step. While he marched through the clammy twilight people scattered from his path. Those who slept he merely stepped over, entertaining thoughts of bringing his foot down heavily on their necks.

The temple was near, a fitting place to find a priest. When he approached, he did so from an oblique angle, trailing the south edge of the shantytown and approaching through the ruins. Nothing bothered him as he did so. There was a purpose to his detour, he intended a use for this temple, a glorious altar to blood and slaughter. And these were things authorities did not approve of.

When a wolf howled, he gave thought to drawing his flambard, the wave-bladed hewn iron sword resembling a tongue of black flame roughly the height of a man. Instead, he chose not to. As large and strong as he was, clad in thick iron, he had little to fear from whatever he would find.

Personally, the noise far from bothered him. In fact, a strange ease and comfort settled upon his gargantuan shoulders from the sound. Regardless, this would bring unwelcome attention to his dark and glorious works. So when he continued, and the howling stopped, this intrigued him more. Something happened. Something changed.

Then the bloody trail through the ether faded, he saw the wolf upon the steps. This wolf was here for a reason. Wolves did not favour cursed temples on ground marked by dark powers. Wolves must serve some purpose for the priest, Mavarion Deklar, to tolerate their presence as he worked.

With that, he ventured a guess. This wolf was more than a natural animal. This wolf coped with the infernal presence rather well. So he would speak to it. Were his guess wrong, and he was speaking to a mindless animal, there would be no one present to see him look silly, would there?

"Come inside. We have much to discuss."
If violence is not the answer, you have asked me the wrong question.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 am

Gia raised her head from her depressed state warily. This stranger was huge, and his clanking armor made her pin her ears back against the noise. She scented the air lightly, and quickly picked up the smell of old blood and metal, She stopped smelling, because these scents were rather abrasive to her nose.

And then he spoke to her. She hadn't really expected that, but she rose and once more entered the temple. If he was willing to believe that she was able to understand him that was all well and good, but she wasn't going to change just for the sake of this person, whoever he was.

She stopped just a little ways into the temple, glancing around once more just to check that Mavarion hadn't returned. He hadn't, so she sat down near one of the pews and observed the new man. He was strange, and she knew that he wasn't a human. She could smell it on him and see it, even though the wolf's eyes were protesting the daylight.

Daylight. She wouldn't have to change back to her human for, becuase it was so close to the full moon now, but it would be something of a struggle. But she would handle it, and she waited to hear what the stranger had to say.
rent-a-werewolf

Shadowsong
Citizen

Post by Shadowsong » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:42 pm

So she was expecting something. Good. And she did as told, seemingly unperturbed by his presence. More than a mere animal.

What Krevster noticed was this temple had been freshly cleaned, unusual for an abandoned ruin. There had been recent fires inside the building, as well as the washing. Most clean were the altar and a circle of ground, which announced more than anything else the aftermath of a rite.

Closing the door behind him, Krevster reached behind himself to push under one of the long flukes of black iron which projected from the side of his flambard. This was chosen to cause a red light to spill forth from blazing glyphs of his weapon so he could see, while clearly not drawing the sword.

"Mavarion Deklar brought you here. And Mavarion had a purpose for you." Time to use secrecy to his advantage. For one as mysterious as Mavarion Deklar, disappearing and sending a guide or emissary would not seem out of place. By using his name, Krevster sought to pose as that emissary to gain influence over the henchwolf. "He conducted his ceremony in here. Tell me all he has shown you, werewolf, so I know which secrets you are ready for."

While all Krevster knew was from limited dark guidance, that dark guidance may be very strong for a confused werewolf in search of answers. Even if all she would hear were outright lies.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Gia threw a sidelong glance at the man. So he expected her to change in front of him? Slightly awkward for the werewolf, she thought. The wolf stood and looked at where her clothing lay on the floor from her earlier shift and tossed another look at the man. She heaved a sigh as he didn't appear to be about to look away and she shifted quickly, ducking her head and slipping into her long tunic and pulling on her breeches.

Her reddish-brown hair had fallen foreward as she shifted, which was helpful in concealing her slight blush. She didn't really have a problem with being unclothed, but it was a little embarrassing in dealing with men especially. She tied back her hair loosely and turned to face the man, the wolf forcing her to be a challenger and meet his eyes.

She eventually looked away and said, "My name is Gia. How do you know Mav?" She was reluctant to tell him what she had seen, because Mavarion had never mentioned sending anyone in his absence. Though, he hadn't really mentioned an absence at all. She rubbed the back of her neck. This man was large enough that she had to tip her head back to look at him, and it hurt her neck. She went and sat on one of the pews and waited for an answer.
rent-a-werewolf

Shadowsong
Citizen

Post by Shadowsong » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:42 am

No answers. Only questions.

Mystery worked well enough. Dark cultists were not the most open with information, and he could use that to his advantage. Still, telling this Daughter of Fenris nothing would be a poor way to encourage her.

When she met his gaze, he smiled. A frightening smile in many ways, but far less menacing than glowering down at her. He knew the intimidating power of his size, and chose to work against it for the moment. Fear was a tool to control pawns and enemies, an art he would gladly work on further, but he did not have to be the object of that fear.

She has a fear... hissed a siblant whisper in his mind, being alone.

The smile widened.

"Mavarion has allegiances." announced the armoured man, his voice intended to be of normal level but was naturally hard. "Which is why his ritual needed conducting inside the temple. These allegiances are shared." Possibly by him, possibly not. Leaving the matter vague would allow him to choose his answer to that later.

On that note, Mavarion did vanish unannounced, leaving his ally lost and confused. Any allies he might have would legitimately wish to investigate as well. "He was to prepare an altar." This much Krevster felt confident in saying, since the Dark Powers had guided him here, in the footsteps of one of their greatest champions. Regardless, this was plausible, and would help bring her towards recruitment. "Judging by your presence, you have been unable to find a scent. I say we continue his work. Help with this, and you will be building a place where you are always welcome."

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:35 am

Gia frowned. He sounded as though he knew her reluctance to be alone, but he also seemed bent on doing something. She didn't know what, but a place to be welcome sounded good to her. The words fell from her mouth slowly, but she gave up a bit of information. "Mavarion did... something, I don't know what, a few nights ago. There was sulfur in the air, and both dried and new blood." She twitched her nose. "I can still smell it.

He was strange, this man. He wasn't human--Gia could smell that clearly in the thick air. She didn't know what he was, and he seemed to inspire both a fear and a slight curiousity in her. She had made a promise to herself a while back to not get close to those that could hurt her, but she was more willing to be not alone.

An idea popped into her head. If she helped him, maybe this man wouldn't vanish like Mavarion had. Her eyes narrowed as she considered the aspects of her plan, elementary though it was. Again she spoke, though it was even more guarded than what she had last said. "If you are looking for Mavarion... or anyone, really, I can help. I'm a good tracker. Actually, if you need any assistance... I'm good at following commands."

The wolf roared inside her as she said that. The wolf didn't like commands any more than she liked being alone. Gia shouted back at the wolf in her mind, and the russet-brown creature backed down, snarling. These men will be the death of us. We must distance ourselves and find a pack, in the mountains or forests. I know what to do there. Gia shook her head slightly at the thought, hoping that the man wouldn't catch it. Though he probably would.
rent-a-werewolf

Shadowsong
Citizen

Post by Shadowsong » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:58 am

So eager to please, she came close to dropping her estimation in Krevster's eyes. Instead, he saw potential. Something malleable. The sculpting of the perfect servant. In this case, he could encourage her. "Soon, Gia, you will have chance to give the commands." A promise he intended to make good on. As soon as she was ready for command, she would become most useful to him.

"My name is Krevster." A phrase which lacked the same ring to it without mentioning his profession or hobby. "I look forward to working with you." Everything seemed in place. Blood and sulfur sounded very appropriate to Mavarion. "To ready the altar, we need a priest. Blood and brimstone. Scent of power. Mavarion would be ideal, or one like him. Please do what you can for the search."

And now there was something else he could offer her. "Once this is done, Daughter of Fenris, you will be able to learn more of your nature, your purpose." Phrased as an offer, but born more from self-interest. These were his plans and he wanted to put them into action.

On that note, he marched deeper into the temple, gazing upon the walls, seeking passageways or further chambers. He wanted something well-hidden for his purpose, the Infernal Dark would do poorly so close to the open. Once he felt confident of rooms beyond, he made his way back to the entrance and sought to begin the search.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 pm

Gia hesitated. He had told her to get on with the search, but she didn't really know where to look. If Mavarion had left a trail she could have tracked him easily, but she couldn't pick up anything but stale sulfur and the ever-present scent of blood. And he ahd told her that they needed a priest. Priests didn't have specific scents. She stayed where she was for the moment and tried to think, but thinking was somewhat difficult after being in wolf form the whole night.

Point number one: He wanted a priest. She didn't know where to find one.

Point number two: He mentioned her being in control of herself. What was it with these crazy males? First Mavarion and now this... Krevster was it? thought that she could be in command. They were insane, both of them.

Point number three: He had gone back into the temple and now had returned, looking as though he was intent on finding something. Gia shook her head.

She stood up straight from leaning against her pew and sighed. She snarled lightly at the early morning light because it hurt her eyes. She spoke to the door, not looking at Krevster. "Where do you suggest we begin looking for a priest, then? Mavarion has left no trail that I can follow--physical scent or lingering magic."
rent-a-werewolf

Shadowsong
Citizen

Post by Shadowsong » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:27 am

"We search for similar scents to Mavarion. Blood and brimstone, lingering magic." Beyond this, he was unsure, and had little in the way of a plan. Use the werewolf to find the priest, that was all he knew. He stared into his open hand a long moment, and then closed it into a fist, shaking the hand free and loose again with his irritation.

Somehow that gave him a new focus.

"We first check the woodland road. Low travel. Easier to find scents there." Mainly he suggested this because he hoped for some clue outside the city, and had no idea what else to do. Then he had an idea... "Or tell me all that happened with you and Mavarion, there may be a clue where to find him."

On that note, he stood ready, looking down towards her. Search or speak. The choice was hers.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:55 am

"Mavarion told me nothing of what he was doing, if that's what you mean. Fenris know I tried to get it out of him, but he only got angry. The night he actually did something I was guarding outside, and all I smelled was blood, sulfur, a hint of a female, fear, and Mavarion. And magic. Lots of magic in the air." She fell silent, then finally turned to face Krevster. "I could track him, but I would have to find his scent first. Why do you think I was here? I couldn't find any scent but the old and stale one, and that doesn't go outside the temple."

She walked away from him again and inhaled deeply. No Mavarion. She could simply take his suggestion and head for the outskirts of the city... and maybe he wouldn't disregard her as useless! She threw another glance at the male and sighed. She could fake following a trail for a few days, and maybe she would think of something else to do by then.

She walked to the temple door. Her bow and pack she picked up on her way, and then turned and looked at Krevster again. Once more, he didn't seem to be about to turn his back as she shifted, so she sighed and began to remove her only recently-applied clothing, folding it and packing it into the bag. She loosened a few straps on the pack and strapped her bow to it, and then shifted to wolf form again.

She nudged her way into the bag-turned-werewolf-pack-harness and tightened it by pulling a few straps with her teeth. She looked over at Krevster once she was ready, huffed another sigh, and trotted out the door and down the temple steps, waiting for him to join her.
rent-a-werewolf

Jenica Sabiny
Citizen
Race: Vampire

Post by Jenica Sabiny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Fountain of blood in the shape of a girl.