The Adventures of Bird Blade and Raven Man

The quiet, southern part of the city, where the residents have their homes.
Quenta
Outsider
Name: Quenta Daelus
Race: Raven

The Adventures of Bird Blade and Raven Man

Post by Quenta » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:30 am

Quenta and Baz continue from here

PW 122 Pre-Bombings

Quenta stared at the brooding man, feeding the flying street rats and chirpy birds. His beak was open slightly and a burr of noise slipped out. Quenta had visited the man, Miklos, on more than one occasion. Like all the other times, he kept his voice to himself, and simply hop flapped nearer to the man.

Hop-flap. Flappity-hop. "Purrrr, burrrr." Head tilt, this way and that, studying the man.

Quenta knew Miklos had other birds. Real birds. Birds Miklos used for sending messages back and forth. Quenta had followed the messenger crows once or twice to see where they were going.

Years ago, Quenta would have cared (mostly) that someone was planning something like blowing up parts of Marn. That was when he was a human and a battlemage, though. Things had happened. Baz had happened.

With a quick dip of his head, Quenta snatched a chunk of bread from the ground and guzzled it down. Smaller, chirpity finchy-type birds, fluttered away. Quenta was different. Animals knew it, even if humans didn't notice.

Miklos
Outsider
Name: Miklos Ralander
Race: Human

Re: The Adventures of Bird Blade and Raven Man

Post by Miklos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 am

Part of his weekly routine was feeding the birds in a small park near his house. It used to be a part of his daily routine before the rebellion started taking up all his time. Ylli, his white and black falcon, was perched on the backrest of his bench as he tossed out breadcrumbs. She was above eating breadcrumbs, of course. She and Behar had hunted that morning and brought him a fine rabbit that he was planning on roasting later. Behar was currently asleep in the rafters of Mik's house - Miklos didn't like to take Behar when he fed the city birds, because the male falcon had much less care who he scared. Ylli was mostly just concerned about her feathers and preened while he fed the pigeons and crows, too dignified to pay attention to the city birds.

The birds were pecking around his feet contentedly when he noticed the big raven. Mik had seen the raven before - a rather impressive creature, especially when compared to the pigeons - and it had always scared the other birds somewhat. He had thought about shooing it off when it did that, but he figured that it wasn't at fault for being an outcast. He was an outcast too, and society's rejects had to stick together. He tossed a handful of crumbs at the bird, careful not to hit it with any. "Yer a fine lookin' fellow, aren't ya?" He asked quietly. He wasn't much for talking with people, mostly because they talked back and made no sense when they did so.

The raven was certainly pretty, with its blue-black-green feathers glinting in the weak sunlight. Mik had never been overly partial to ravens - the crows were much more obliging than the ravens he had worked with before - but this one was different, he could feel it. The weird sense he got around birds, the one that let him communicate his wishes to them, felt different. There was something in the eyes of the beast too, something intelligent that unnerved him at the same time it intrigued him. "Ya got a name there, raven?" Mik asked, not expecting an answer.

Quenta
Outsider

Post by Quenta » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:25 am

Quenta tilted his head to the side, taking up a crumb or two neatly with the side of his beak. When the man asked his name, Quenta chortled, following the noise with a, "Hurrrrr, do."

Baz, so I was thinking about this Bird Man. I think he might do good as a carrier, but I don't know how you wanna go about getting introduced."

Quenta bent his knees and jumped up next to Mik, settling next to him on the bench seat opposite from any hunting birds the man might've brought along. Quenta's feathers fluffed out and he nipped a mite from under his armpit, before surveying the scene. Sometimes, if he stayed still and didn't jerk around, the little chirpity-birds would come back. Sure enough, the lure of the crumbs was too great. Soon, the little finches and chickadees had returned. Stupid things. Shaking his head, Quenta side-eyed Mik.

"Ken-ta."

The Raven Basilards
Citizen
Name: The Raven Basilards
Race: Basilard

Post by The Raven Basilards » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 am

Ah, The basilard responded, the shallow voice cutting the distance easily. It had been a long time coming, and the relief the weapon felt was far stronger than any feeling it had come across in the past twenty years. Quenta’s unfocused yet persistent search had now come to its conclusion. If you would lead him to the church, I would like to introduce myself personally.

One of the ancient columns of wood creaked in spiteful retort to a stiff wind blowing over from the river. If one strained to hear it, they might catch the sound of the wall’s construction. Despite hearing all these noises, it still felt as if they did not truly cross the threshold and enter the decrepit premises. It was as if this church was isolated from the rest of Marn in some small yet disturbing way.

It would be good to leave. Magic was distinctly unpredictable, and the Basilard could not say what prolonged exposure to the ispoli magic might entail. For now, the ancient environment would serve for a suitably dramatic introduction.

Tell him what you will on the way. The basilard added, predicting a plausible question of Quenta’s. You have told me enough that I suspect it would be best to leave my existence a bit mysterious, but I must ask you not to alarm him overmuch. Eager though I am to leave the untapped magic of my creators behind, it would be best not to take risks for the sake of expediency.

Miklos
Outsider

Post by Miklos » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 pm

When the raven jumped up next to him, Miklos couldn't help a slight grin. Ravens were such curious birds, so fearless (right up until they weren't), and he'd been tempted to try and tame one for a while. It was best to start with babies, but this one was friendly enough, or at least curious enough, that he might be able to make some progress.

"Kenta, huh?" He asked the bird. It sounded like some nonsense word - he knew ravens were terribly smart, so maybe the bird had been owned once and learned a few words. Or maybe the creature had just picked up some syllables. He fished around inside a pocket and produced some dried rabbit, one of Ylli's favorites. The white gyrfalcon fluttered her wings in distaste at her treats being offered to some usurping stranger. He soothed her with a hand along her neck, petting her feathers with a hand gentler than his aspect would suggest. "Hush, Ylli, no harm t' be done in a little sharin' with a hungry bird."

Holding out his gloved hand with the dried rabbit strip in it, he laid the back of his hand flat on the bench so as not to spook the raven. "Here, Kenta, if that's really yer name. Nice rabbit, all fer yerself."

Quenta
Outsider

Post by Quenta » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 am

"Hurrrr." Quenta eyes the gyrfalcon when it seemed bothered by him, but the man soothed its feathers soon enough. Good. Quenta strutted slowly toward the man's hand, confident in his ability to defend himself. Unlike the hunk of bread, Quenta gently lifted the meat up and ate it. It wasn't fresh nor cooked rare, but it was meat.

"Meat's a treat! Hur! Hur! Hur!" Quenta amused himself. "Thanks!"

Quenta fluffed his feathers out. "I have a friend. Wanna meet him?" Well, that's what he said. Now, whether the man understood Quenta was a different problem all together.

Miklos
Outsider

Post by Miklos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:34 am

Now, unless he was going crazy, this bird was talking to him. Miklos eyed it dubiously. It sometimes seemed to him like birds could talk - he and Ylli had been together long enough that he knew what she was thinking, and he was good at calming the sparrows when they got spooked - but birds couldn't actually talk, he knew that. Oh sure, sometimes they could learn a few words and it would seem like they were talking, but they weren't really. Animals talking was something a crazy person would think, and Miklos knew he was a sane, normal person. So, the bird wasn't talking.

And yet... and yet. "Meat's a treat, huh?" Mik asked the raven, offering another piece of rabbit. "Yer good wit' words, Mr. Kenta."

Before he could even think anything else, the damn raven just flat out asked if Miklos wanted to meet his friend. Now, Miklos himself didn't have any friends, and the idea that this bird wanted him to meet someone seemed like a good plan. If a bird liked a person, it was usually a sign that Miklos would get along with them too.

He reined in that line of thought quickly. The bird wasn't actually asking if he wanted to meet someone, that would be ridiculous. Doubtless it just wanted to take him to its owner. Miklos refused to think about the fact that this bird probably didn't have an owner. No bands around its legs or other identifying markings, and it certainly wasn't one of his. He shook his head like a dog trying to get the water out of its ears. "Ye mean yer owner, huh? I guess I've got some time."

Miklos stood, feeling Ylli's talons grip his shoulder gently. "Show me your friend, Kenta." It would only be crazy if there was no one there. But Miklos wasn't crazy. They were just going to meet Kenta's person. That was all.

Quenta
Outsider

Post by Quenta » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:40 am

Quenta took the next piece of meat with just as much manners and grace, he'd used with the first. His beak was pretty sharp and he didn't want to hurt the man's fingers. Quenta suspected that hunting bird might give him a little bit of this and that and what for besides if he drew blood by mistake.

"Well, hurrrr, University will do that for ya."

"Ye mean yer owner, huh? I guess I've got some time."

Quenta cocked his head to the side. "Nah, Baz is my buddy." With that, Quenta chortled and hopped down from the bench to began that stately head forward and back walk he'd perfected now that he was used to the balance of his bird body.

It was an unusual progression from bench to the Historic District. Quenta walked beside Miklos as he would have had he been human. Well, except for the times he had to leap into the air to avoid bits of refuse or the occasional curious dog.

"Not far now. Not far now..."

Their end destination was the ruins of the church. "Come in! Come in! I keep my bits and trinkets here. And, Baz, yeah, he's here, too. Funny how shiny things become so much more important, hurrrr" The latter comment was more of a mutter.

At first glance the church appeared to be what it was: a pile of rubble and slants of sunlight. But, over the years, Quenta had managed to salvage many things. Bits of color fluttered in and out of view atop the pillar, as a stray breeze attempted to move the dust motes from one side of the church to the other. Tucked in the shadows was the faded gleam of silk: the brim of the child's toy top hat he would wear to amuse himself. Sunlight caught dully on the rim of two metal bowls. Another top hat was at the crux of the pillar and the arch of what remained of the ceiling. To someone with an imagination and a raven's lack of opposable thumbs, the area around the pillar might seem to be laid out like a house of sorts.

Miklos
Outsider

Post by Miklos » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Alright, this was a talking bird. A talking raven. Who apparently went to the University. Kenta the highly-educated, talking raven. And not average talking bird either - Miklos would guess that this bird was at least as intelligent as some people, to say nothing of the average bird. Well, a talking bird was fine. Just fine. He wasn't crazy. Sometimes birds were as smart as people and spoke in complete sentences and took you off to introduce you to their mysterious friends. Miklos gulped and then scowled at himself for his nervousness.

It was probably magic. That was the best explanation. Mik wasn't sure how he felt about that. Oh yeah, of course he was part of the resistance, at least nominally, but that was mostly just to try and get his revenge on the Guard and their stupid policies and rules. The magic parts of the resistance he tried to steer clear of, if only because he didn't know how to deal with them. But this right here, confronted with a magical raven... well, it was a little up close and personal for his usual dealings.

He followed the raven slowly, thoughts churning in his head until they reached the old church. Miklos looked dubiously at the pile of rubble before trailing the bird inside. Once inside, bits of sparkly caught his attention and he almost snorted from laughter - magical or no, Kenta was just as much of a birdbrain for shiny things as the next raven. Oddly, that particular fact reassured him enough to turn to the bird and ask, "So, Kenta, who's Baz?" This place seemed devoid of life save for the two of them. Maybe Baz was somewhere else.

The Raven Basilards
Citizen

Post by The Raven Basilards » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:52 pm

The basilard waited with a patience forged atop the anvil of millennia. They would arrive within minutes. Though willing to wait, its excitement was plainly visible in the luminescent glow it emitted, several times brighter than it had been in the last several months. Only the sound of footsteps, echoing through its ominous surroundings, shook it from its eager reverie. The basilard muted its light, dropping into nothingness so that it could see Quenta’s choice before the man saw it.

The footsteps were noticed only seconds before the man entered the basilard’s telepathic range. While the man remained oblivious, the basilard prodded at his mind. Each step brought him closer to the church’s interior and gave the weapon a clearer picture. He was one of the border cases: magical ability so minor, it might as well not exist at all.

Centuries ago, the basilard had been companion to a man very much like him. Nothing but a forward scout of the Eyropan army, he had nevertheless possessed minor magic which the basilard had carefully nurtured over the course of the scout’s life. With that knowledge the scout had done what no other wielder in two thousand years had achieved: united two of the three blades. Sadly, this progress had been undone: but not without benefit. Somewhere in Pal Tahrenor existed a small handful of statues, which would inexorably draw their holders to a basilard’s side.

Unfortunately, the current theocracy masquerading as society atop the ruins of the Ispoli had found the good sense to heavily restrict magic. It had no intention of tutoring Quenta’s chosen; it would only draw attention from unwanted sources.

Quenta and the wielder stepped into the final antechamber. The Ispoli pillars loomed far above his head, their ancient power emanating throughout the room, resonating with furious spirits unseen to mortal eyes. As the basilard reached out with its mind, it could feel them pushing against it. Ancient bindings and protection held, for now. Under the seal, they would remain silent.

I am the one called Baz, It whispered to the bird keeper, though its words were sent to Quenta with considerably greater clarity due to the link they shared. Do not be alarmed. I only wish to talk.

The wind picked up outside, adding ambient noise to the proceeding. It did not matter to the basilard; though faint, its voice would reach Miklos with the same quiet, raspy tone was it already had. The astute would notice that despite the long-collapsed roof leaving considerable room for entry, not so much as a breeze entered the church itself.

Quenta, It called, still speaking to both minds, bring me to him.
Whoops, I made an immortal. You guys better ban me before it is too late.

Quenta
Outsider

Post by Quenta » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:46 am

With a soft thwap, Quenta's wings extended and contracted against his body. He had taken flight.

"I'll get 'im for ya." Once he reached his bedroom, Quenta carefully untucked Baz from his bed.

"Here ya go, buddy," Quenta murmured, "Just a minute, just a minute, hrm hurr hurr."

Baz was a knife, but he wasn't some smally, piddly, butter-your-bread kind of knife. He was a warrior's knife. In the shadows, Baz gleamed softly. Beautifully. Quenta admired Baz, cocking his head this way and that.

"Mmhm. I will. I will." Baz's request prompted Quenta from his admiring reverie. Maneuvering with Baz was easy, but Quenta did it. FIrst, Quenta pulled Baz closer to the edge, using the soft fabric he'd carefully tucked Baz in to protect the sheath from scratching against the rock. Then, extending his wings to their broadest span, Quenta simply fell toward the ground, and missed. Using his wings, he carefully, oh so carefully, flappy-flapped-flapped with a thwup-thwup until Baz rested gently on a nearby ledge. No dropping to the ground for his friend Baz, no sir!

"Mik, this... is Baz! I think yer gonna like 'im! Hurr!" Quenta's excitement showed in the triple extension he did of his neck and the touch of his beak to Baz's softly glowly, gleaming, silvery sheath.

Baz's soft gleam made Quenta's eyes seem even blacker in contrast. Here in the near eldritch light, the man, the brain within the bird, stared out at Miklos. An that gaze showed pride and intelligence. Pride and intelligence that flickered out light a candle when a big fat beetle decided to meander across the ledge.

Quenta made that soft purr-burr noise that ravens make and hopped after the beetle. Stopping short, Quenta said quickly,

"Dunno if I remembered... Baz. Mik. Mik. Baz..." A mutter of introduction and formalities dispensed, Quenta flicked his head back around only to find the beetle had seemed to disappear.

"Aw."

Miklos
Outsider

Post by Miklos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:34 am

The talking raven he could handle. Ravens talked all the time... well, maybe not all the time and not as coherantly as this one, but still all the time. Whatever was speaking in his head was different and reeked of magic. Miklos stopped stock still, eyes darting to pinpoint the sound of the voice and pretend, if only for a desperate second, it wasn't actually in his head.

"Ye can say ye only wanna talk," Miklos grumbled over the rapid beating of his own heart, "'cept talkin' usually happens without whispery voices in my head."

He jumped a little when Quenta took off, the sudden motion spooking him. Miklos gulped audibly as the raven flapped off to a darker area of the building, staring hard after the bird even as his fear swamped him. This was magic. He couldn't fight this or do anything to prepare for it, he just had to let it happen to him. Miklos hated not being able to do anything.

The raven brought back a knife. A big knife. He set it carefully down on a ledge and then introduced it, eyes gleaming with a scarily human intelligence that spoke of something far greater than Miklos had been able to guess. Pride was there, and a wealth of knowledge, but also rage at being something lesser... and then it was gone as the bird took over again.

Despite all his survival instincts screaming at him not to, Mik took a step forward, closer to the knife. He had a history with weapons from being in the guard, could tell good steel from bad, and this was beyond good steel. The thing glittered with its own light and he was in awe of its craftsman ship. "Baz?" He asked roughly, trying to cover the hint of fear that he knew was in his voice. "Short for basilard, I'm guessin'?"

The Raven Basilards
Citizen

Post by The Raven Basilards » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:17 pm

I lack any other means of communication. The basilard explained in response to Miklos’ concerns. It is one of the many limits of my form.

Quenta flew up to the roost and became enthralled by the glimmering light. The basilard was used to this and let the raven admire its form. When Quenta snapped out of it and wrapped his talons around the basilard’s hilt, the basilard’s patience was rewarded by the care Quenta took in lowering it from the church’s rafters.

It could see the small magic in Miklos leave his body and analyze Quenta, but didn’t say anything. It suspected it knew what had drawn Quenta to this man, but the magic was light and Quenta was experienced. The basilard was confident Quenta knew what was occurring.

Quenta had placed it upon the edge of the transept. In the old church it was a slight elevation from the nave where Miklos was standing, putting the basilard at about knee height. The basilard’s glow rolled slowly outwards from its blade, though the basilard came to regret its choice when the light illuminated one of the ancient gouges in the stone pillars that made up the church’s four corners. The shattered crag, a spider web of fragmentations, seemed to consume the light greedily. It appeared as if just beneath the surface of the stone was violet molten rock.

Indeed. The basilar responded as Quenta hopped away. The basilard lessened its glow, but it still took time before the light fled from the stone pillar; the old magic there would not relinquish a familiar light so easily. I expect Quenta has lightened himself of the burden of your name as well.

Like the Eyropan priests which had once sold heaven in these halls, the basilard began its pitch. Even this small distance made extended communication difficult, and the basilard was forced to pause when it suspected its voice grew too indistinct to be comprehensible. As my form is limited, as is Quenta’s ability to move me with subtlety. I find myself in need of what every blade requires…. a wielder. Quenta has been observing you for some time.

The basilard waited several moments as the connection frayed. Picking up where it had left off, the basilard continued, Some time. You are an enemy of those with power, and I likewise cannot fall into their hands. I must find the other Raven Basilards without discovery, leaving our goals aligned.

I can offer you several benefits from this arrangement. I can sense the minds of any who approach you, heal your wounds, and cause pain to your enemies. I also hold knowledge of many things which have transpired in Marn over the last several thousand years. Surely any of this would be useful to you.
Whoops, I made an immortal. You guys better ban me before it is too late.