Tracker Dog

The quiet, southern part of the city, where the residents have their homes.
Gia Rilan
Citizen
Name: Gia
Race: Werewolf

Tracker Dog

Post by Gia Rilan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 am

She'd slunk away from Kaledin in the light of the moon, wolf fur glowing silver. She carried a small leather bag in her mouth containing money and a light dress suitable enough for wandering the streets as a human. She was rested and fed, and her eyes were bright. The wolf and the human both were happy with their new master, and the union of both minds created a stronger werewolf.

It didn't take her long to reach the outskirts of he city, and she was able to slip into the town easily. A few moments after that she found a secluded alley and downsized the wolf, turning into more of a rangy, skinny, floppy-eared brown dog. The wolf didn't like this formas she considered it to be beneath her but it wouldn't cause widespread panic as a large wolf would.

She picked up the bag again and found a corner in the end of the alley. She supposed that she could go human and find an inn somewhere, but the beds would likely be lousy and the last thing she needed was fleas. That would just be humiliating. Fleas on a werewolf.

She slept a few hours and then a bit into the morning. Holding wolf (or dog) form in sunlight was more complicated, but Gia stayed lupine. It was easier to scent and track as a wolf.

And tear and bite, the nasty side of her said. She shook her head swiftly like she was trying to rid herself of water. No. There would be no tearing and biting. Master Tuc would be displeased. She strode out into the street, looping the bag around her neck on its strap. It looked vaugely like a collar, which she supposed was good. The charm her lord had given her to contact him hung on a thin golden chain tucked deep into her fur.

Stepping out into the sunlight she took a moment to secure wolf form, knowing that a naked woman would cause a scandal in the middle of the street. She turned her nose into the wind and began to sniff for the tell-tale signs of half-elven folk--earthy scents and trees, water and moss.
Last edited by Gia Rilan on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Re: Tracker Dog

Post by Gia Rilan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 am

A scent caught her attention, a mere whisper of a smell that spoke of earth and clear water with a touch of magic. She'd never actually met an elf, or at least a local one, but magic and natural things together in a scent meant elf.

Shaking herself to hopefully be rid of some dust she started off, nose alternately in the air and on the ground, following the magic scent. It lead her to a small tavern, where she stopped.

Dogs, of course, wouldn't likely be allowed into a tavern. Something about fur in the drinks, though from the looks of this place, fur would be in the beer without Gia even stepping inside. She sat down across the way, snarling at a child who tried to come and pet the nice doggie. Gia normally tried to be tolorent of small children, as she knew she must have been annoying at that age too, but there were some things the wolf simply wouldn't stand for, and being a one-wolf petting zoo was among those things.

The child ran off with a scared look, and the wolf growled happily to herself. She was busy. No time to be nice.

The problem was, she didn't know what this Lo'en smelled like. She knew what a griffin smelled like, and she could probably track the residues of that, but how long Lo'en'd been away from her griffin companion would complicate things.

Maybe... maybe she should scent for griffin. Then the wolf shook her head at herself. Griffins were dangerous. Not that the wolf was scared, she just liked her flesh attached to her body. With a sigh she stood, abandoning the elf scent radiating from the tavern, deciding to try and hunt to combined griffin and elf scent instead of solely elf.

How many elves wandered around with griffins, anyway?

Kibe
Outsider
Name: Kibe
Race: Shifter

Post by Kibe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 am

Kibe for once was back in the city with nothing to do. All the good job his mentor and go-to, Runi, had aqquired knowledge of had already been assigned, and in a town like Marn even a accomplished theif didn't just go breakin into random houses. It upset the order of things and made life difficult for everybody. So for now he mulled staring into his drink with a sullen look on his face.

Runi, wiping a glass with a rag that had seen better days, came around from behind the bar and sat down next to him. Even though it was day time a cozy fire, fueled by magic, constantly burned lighting the tavern with a comfortable glow and regular heat. Another great thing about Runi's establishment was that only those somehow connected to the underworld frequented it, so one never had to worry about running into a guard with a grudge.

Kibe took a sip but didn't even look his old friend in the eye, an automatic sign to those who knew him that something was on his mind.
"Why the long face kid? I haven't seen you this glum since you found out the Stone of Dioses was a fake after you swiped it."
Kibe just met him with stony silence and another drink from his glass.
"Or is this about a girl? I HOPE it's not about a girl! If it is I'll never let you live it down, I still remember what you did with those twins...."
"Jus stop." Kibe growled and squeezed his glass until small cracks appeared in it. Runi looked down, looked back up, and looked back down at his now ruined glass.
"I'll just add that on yer' tab and give you some space then." Runi said smiling as he got up and walked away, he was sure it was abotu a girl now.

What he didn't know was there was something much greater bothering the young man. The collar on his neck, a simple ornament to those not versed in magic, had begun to heat. He knew what that meant. The Battlemage that was his contact had another assignment for him. And last time he had gone against their wishes they had......
His train of thought was brought to a halt as he scented the air. The wolf in him drug him to his feet instantly, glass left on the bar completely forgotten. That smell....what in the hell is that smell! It was definitely female, and definitely wolf. Without a second thought he dashed out of the bar in search of it.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 am

The doggy looking wolf stopped and sniffed again. The human side was more in control now, and she realized that biting, or even threatening to bite, little children was a very bad idea. It wasn't a full moon so she wasn't sure about the consequences of a small nip, but she knew it wouldn't be appriciated. And she didn't know what the punishment was in Marn for dogbites.

She sat down at the corner of an intersection and looked left and right, debating where to go to pick up a griffin scent. Griffins were very easy to track once she got a scent--they smelled like air and the tang of the freedom of the open skies and mountains, and that distinct frankensense that bespoke to her wolfy nose of magic. But the problem was finding those scents, in that combonition, and then assuming that the griffin didn't just up and fly away.

Of course, she wasn't looking for the griffin itself, but rather the residual scents lingering on the elf...

The wolf let out an un-wolf-like sigh and shook her head to herself. It was all too complicated for the wolf brain, but (and here she lifted her head proudly) she wasn't just a wolf, or just a human. She was more than both, and for the first time in a long time she was proud of that fact. Scenting heavily once more, she turned and trotted down a darker alleyway, completely wrapped up in her hunt.

Kibe
Outsider

Post by Kibe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:16 am

The shifter burst out the door nose held high and took another deep sniff. The scent was still in the air, strong too. She hadn't been gone from the area long. He gaze traveled up and down the main street and swept along the several alleyways she could have gone down. Suddenly his task became much more difficult.

His inner wolf strained to come out. It was just under the surface of his skin making him feel both hot and cold at the same time and nearly ripping a mournful howl from his throat. It hadn't been like this since he had first gained his ability to shift. When he had been trapped in the forest hiding and his wolf had wanted him to run free and hunt like a true wolf. Persperation broke out on his brow and he wiped his hand over his forehead as he considered his options.

He could shift. But this place was too public. Then there would be the question of what happened to his clothes. He really would have to get a pack or something that he could keep on when he shifted. His senses might be stronger than a humans but eventually he would have to turn into the wolf in order to truely follow the scent.

Suddenly the breeze shifted and blew the scent into his face. There she is! his mind screamed and he took off. Dodging through the crowds with blurring speed he almost forgot that he was among mostly humans at this point. But right as he was about to slow down he bumped into a Guard. Damn.

"You there! Stop this instant!"
Kibe skidded to a halt but didn't turn around. He was a known criminal in this city, and the distinctive collar around his neck, something he would remove if he could but couldn't thanks to some form of magick, would give him away instantly unless the guy was just a newbie. But maybe he could talk his way out of this.
"Uhhh....sorry about that big guy. But I'm really in a hurry."
The guard grunted as he stepped forward. He had to be new, he didn't like he was even into his twenties yet. But he was big as a tree trunk. His partner just shook his head and smiled as the he recognized the signs. A new kid fresh to the patrol looking to establish his dominance, a minor offender. New Kid dropped a hand to his short sword. "Well how about you turn around and we'll discuss why hurrying can be a bad thing."

Kibe sighed as he raised his hands to show he was unarmed. That meant nothing but the guards didn't know that. The new kid stepped closer and Kibe shook his head. "I really dont have time for this...."
The guard took another step closer. "I'll show you what you have time for!" As he took one more step to bring himself in range for a fight Kibe was in motion. He spun on back on his left foot and kicked up with his right. The kick itself caught the New Kid in the chin, raising him off his feet and dropping him on him flat on his back. He was out cold.

The other guard saw Kibe's face as he turned all the way around.
"You didn't have to do all that now Kibe."
"Jimmy?! If you knew it was me why didn't you stop him?"
The two had grown up together in Marn. And Kibe knew several guards, the fact that this was one of them was only a surprise because he let his friend get laid out.
"He was new, and cocky. All of us get put in our place eventually by trying to take on something we're not ready for. Problems like this teach guys to stay on their toes."
Kibe couldn't help but grin. They clasped each others forearms in a brotherly embrace. "Well when he wakes up tell him to just let it go sometimes. I gotta go though, we'll catch up later." And he took off again to follow the scent.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 am

Gia stopped in the alleyway. There was a disturbance outside the darkened passage between the two disgusting looking buildings to her left and right, and the wolf who looked like a dog instinctively went into a crouch, teeth bared slightly.

She recognized that it wasn't directed at her a few seconds later, and in truth was a little disappointed. She'd been itching for a good fight to take out some of her anger, misplaced though it might be. The wolf was angry that she hadn't found even a trace of the magical griffin smell, or even a promising half-elf scent. A fight would be nice, but Gia was in no mood to actually go looking for trouble.

And anyway, she had a job to do.

Putting her nose back to the ground she sniffed along again before following whatever scent it was into a pile of old garbage. Coughing and snarling to herself about sniffing at trash, she perked up her ears again. Footsteps. And footsteps meant...

She slunk back into a dark corner and bulked up her wolf form. Sliding off the bag that was around her neck and quietly kicked some old newpapars over it to hide it, and thickened the ruff around her neck to ward against bites. Maybe she was being paranoid, but she didn't like to be taken by surprise.

Kibe
Outsider

Post by Kibe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 pm

He had finally found it. His eyes pierced the gloom of the alley and spotted another wolf. And not just any wolf a female, the female he had been trailing. He took another sniff. The wolf was there, but underneath he could smell human. A scent of flowers of some sort, of woods traveled and places he couldn't identify. It intrigued him to no end.

"It's you.......your the one that drew me out here."

His wolf was boiling under his skin now. It wanted out so bad that he could help but release another soft whimper. He had never met another person like that, whatever that meant. He knew he had abilities similar to a shifter although he wasn't born one. But he never actually met another shifter, and especially not another lupine one.

He couldn't take it anymore and without even checking first he stepped deeper into the alley and shifted. His clothes simply fell away and out of them stepped a majestic, brown-furred wolf. He was easily over three feet at the shoulder and his barrel chest was solid muscle. His normally brown eyes had gone pure amber and he took another step forward, holding his head high. His own wolf would be damned if he looked submissive to a female.

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 am

Gia's fur bristled as the man appeared. She blinked yellowish eyes at him warily--he seemed to know that she was a werewolf. However, unlike her, this newcomer seemed hardly in control of the change. She let the snarling expression leave her face and moved forward a bit, looking at the other wolf.

Gia shook her head. At least she had the sense to take the form of a doggy looking wolf in the middle of a city in broad daylight, alleyway notwithstanding. She huffed a sighed and nosed around for her leather bag in the rubbish heap, then swiftly shifted human and put on her dress.

She hadn't meant to run into another werewolf, and she couldn't spare him much time, but Gia wasn't coldhearted enough to simply leave a confused werewolf alone in an alleyway. She ran a hand through her hair, grateful even more than ever that at least the change rid her of dirt, if not the tangles in her brown mane.

Gia the human leaned up against the wall and looked down at the wolf, her eyes still the same yellowish color. "Look, sir..." she grimaced. Calling him sir sounded ridiculous. "Okay, wolf... werewolf... whatever. You can't just go changing in an alleyway. That's okay in the north, where I'm from, but here people get a little scared. How about you shift back and we have a nice and civilized and more importantly, human, conversation about this, yeah?"

Kibe
Outsider

Post by Kibe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:00 am

Kibe did what she said, to his wolfs protest.

"But....you're like me. A wolf I mean. Or whatever I am....." His hand absently brushed against the collar at his neck.

His clothes lay forgotten in a pile behind him. Until he heard feet and his head whipped around eyes still amber. A child's ball had rolled into the alley and now he stood transfixed looking up at a naked man with the eyes of a wolf. Kibe almost growled at him to get out of there but the look of terror on his face froze it in hsi throat. The ball bumped up against his foot and he stooped down to pick it up.

The child remained frozen in place eyes alternating between the ball and the man. Kibe picked up a coin out of his pants and handed both to the boy.
"Get out of here kid, and go get some sweets or something." He placed a hand on the boy's head and ruffled his hair. The childs fear broke like a wave on the shore as he smiled wide and nodded before dashing back into the city streets.

He turned back to her and let out a heavy breath. "Maybe you're right. Let's get somewhere a little more private." Then he hurried and got dressed.

(Sorry about the length, writing after pulling 24 hours straight on guard duty so I hope I gave you enough to run with)

Gia Rilan
Citizen

Post by Gia Rilan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 am

Gia sighed for what she hoped was the final time. She resented the fact that she knew she couldn't just leave the guy there, confused and alone. Partly because of her wolf, and the instincts to protect and care. Not that the human cared, becuase Gia had a mission to complete soon, but...

She blew out a huff of air sharply through her nose. It wasn't a sigh, more like a soundless snort, and she accompanied it with a slight brushing back of her hair. "Look, whatever your name is, I don't have a lot of time. I've got things to do for very important people who will be displeased if my tasks aren't completed in a timely fashion. And this is a person who I really don't want to displease."

She shifted her stance and walked towards him a little, motioning to a darker spot in the alley. "Get over here and ask your questions. I'm assuming that you've never met another werewolf. That's what we are, werewolves. I've been a werewolf since I was bitten at the age of eight--that's sixteen years now. Don't bite anyone else or they'll probably become a werewolf. Don't eat any livestock that don't belong to you or you'll have a hoard of farmers chasing after you with flaming pitchforks. Yes, it's possible."

She took out a small bit of cheese and nibbled on it, kneeling down into the shadows of the back of the alley. "So, ask away. I'd take you with me but Master said that I can't bring home any strays. Not that I'd want to." She sniffed at him slightly. "You need a bath."