Cell Block Confessions

A busy strip along the center of marn, including the Temple, Hospital, and Justice Hall.
Talion
Citizen
Name: Talionous Blackthorne
Race: Elf

Cell Block Confessions

Post by Talion » Fri May 20, 2011 1:25 am

May 13, 122PW

In a dark, cold, quiet cell in the basement below the Justice Hall building, Talion sat with his back to the hard marble wall. He had lost all sense of time while sitting there. Since the battlemages and their doctors had left, they had chosen to turn off the buzzing electric lighting and leave their prisoners alone in the dark with nothing but their own thoughts to keep them company.

But they were not alone, he reminded himself.

That thing, that crazy thing that was everywhere and nowhere at once, that thing that could speak into their minds and warned them of punishments that were to come, that thing was still with them. He could not see it. He could not hear it. However, he could feel it. It was there, all around them, and it was watching them. It wanted them to misbehave. It wanted a reason to punish them.

It was punishment enough just being locked in the cell. As he sat there with his eyes closed and his fingers carefully examining the lumps and dried blood on his face, Talion tried to remember how he even got talked into this whole ordeal. He remembered the bar, the exotic woman in gold, something about a snake and some girl. He remembered the cloaked figure who looked like Master but was not. There were birds, there was a market, he was smoking. He had smoked a lot if he remembered correctly. There were a lot of gaps in his memories and things that seemed fuzzy and dreamlike. It was hard trying to distinguish what was real from what was not and it all just seemed to give him a massive headache that made his face hurt even more.

What he kept coming back to was the question of why. Why did I have to trip over my own feet and fall down the stairs? Why did I cower in the dark like a scared little child? Why did I get myself into this mess in the first place?

The drugs were one answer, but also an excuse. For years he had been smoking the magical herb without ending up locked within a cell. For years he had drifting through lift chasing one good high for the next without causing any trouble, so what was so different about this time?

Was it the girl? Had he been so captivated by her strange looks that he had agreed to go along with her foolish plans without thinking? Could that be it? He didn't remember being all that interested in her physical looks, nor did he remember her having any sort of personality quirts that would draw him to her. So that couldn't be it.

But what? What could it be?

Thing thing he found worst about his current predicament was not that he was locked behind bars, or that he had all his personal belongings taken away, or even that he had been thoroughly searched by a none-to-happy guard, but that through all of this he had been left alone by his Master and the demons that acted as his voice of reason when he had no one else to turn to.

Danal Church
Outsider
Name: Danal Church
Race: Undead

Re: Cell Block Confessions

Post by Danal Church » Wed May 25, 2011 3:13 am

It had been several weeks since Church's journey from the Western Shores of Ayana and he had definently noticed a difference in the population then that of what he had once known.
It had all started when he thanked the pirate for transport and made his way into the small town in Tian Xia. It took Church two full hours to find someone who would even give him the time of day, which Church considered highly insulting and rude. High Elder Skytalon had been right, the people of today had changed. It was as if no one trusted each other anymore, a sad and depressing state for any civilization to be in.

Church had finally come across a middle aged traveler who was tossing stones into a muddy pond. Church introduced himself, informed the man that he was new to the area and asked if he could have a moment of his time. The traveler had looked up and immediately asked where Church's armor had come from. Again Church had been struck with the astounding rudeness and utter disrespect these people had.
Who didn't introduce themselves before asking personal questions?
Church, however, swallowed his aggravation and answered the traveler's inquiries, hoping to be able to ask the man some questions of his own.
Church answered every question the man asked to the best of his abilities until finally the man asked the question Church had been waiting for, "What are you doing here?"
Church told the traveler about the war in his Nation on the land now labeled "Ayana," and that he was here now looking for his wife, Heather Frodrick, who he had sent here to seek refuge until the war had ended.
As Church told the story the traveler looked at Church with a deep confusion and curiosity that made Church highly uncomfortable, and when he was finished talking the man continued to stare at Church silently.
"So do you have any idea where I can start looking?" Church had asked breaking the silence. He was happy that he had found someone who would speak to him, but he was definently ready to get away from this strange man.
Luckily the traveler claimed to know the continent very well and said he was on his way to a town named "Shim" and would not have a problem with Church tagging along. The man had told Church of the city of "Marn" and said that it would be the best place to start looking for someone who had come to the continent seeking refuge.
For some reason the traveler had refused to take Church directly to Marn saying that he had no desire to get anywhere close to the cities guards. "So how can I get there?" Church had asked. The traveler spoke of a couple direct routes on foot but claimed that the current of the nearby river would be the easiest and safest way to get to Marn.
Church had always been and advocate for safety so he opted to take the river. The traveler introduced Church to a man who would let him rent out a raft then left without a word. Again, rude, Church thought.

Now Church was on shore, a little ways from the city, tying the raft to a nearby tree. Church wondered why the traveler was so adamant on not getting close to this cities guards. Church had dealt, and communicated, with soldiers before and he had the markings of a Nation officer on his shoulder.
How bad could it be? Church thought.

Danal Church
Outsider

Post by Danal Church » Mon May 30, 2011 3:13 am

One would think that the trek up the muddy, murky shore would've been irritating, but to Church he was thrilled that he could walk up a hill now without needing to rest or spew that repulsive liquid from his mouth.
He had not heard or felt the parasite since the bond with his Raptor, but he was still starving. Church had tried to eat other foods over the last few weeks, but always ended up throwing it back up. Anything, other than the smell of flesh, was sickening to Church.
But he couldn't complain, yes, he longed for the day when he would be able to eat again, but he now had peace in his mind and had the privacy of his own thoughts. Or, at least he thought he did.

Furthermore, his connection with the Astral plain had been restored! That old feeling of love and wisdom had returned to him. The depression had been replaced with determination, the paranoia had been replaced with perseverance and, most importantly, the evil had been replaced with good.

Church could not stop looking at his hands. For over a week he saw the horror of his skeleton knuckles.
Who would've thought a man would be soo grateful for hands with flesh covering them? The thought amused Church.

As Church drew closer to Marn's entrance an overwhelming possibility came over him. He, literally, could walk through those gates and find his wife, Heather. Church began to buzz with excitement, he would hold Heather for hours when he did find her.
Maybe his child had been born! Perhaps he would hold him, or her, as well!

Church made his way up the hill with renewed vigor. As he arrived at the cities entrance Church was already looking left to right hoping to catch a glimpse of his wife, she wasn't there. Church wasn't really surprised, the city was large, what would Heather be doing here anyway? The continent was huge as well, this was just his first stop in his journey. She might not even be here.

When Church took his first step past the cities walls he spotted a man in an armed uniform holding up a hand to stop him a few yards or so away, this must've been one of the guards. Church respectfully obeyed and let his hands fall openly and visibly to his sides to let the guard see that he wasn't holding a weapon.
As the guard walked over to Church he realized that he stuck out like a soar thumb with his armor on, all of the villagers that he saw were dressed casually. Not to mention, with his armor in the condition it was in, it appeared Church had been to war and back. Which, actually, wouldn't be too inaccurate.
"Who are you?" the guard asked demandingly.
Unbelievable! Church thought. What had happened to everyone? Was there no respect left in the world? Church quickly sucked up his aggravation. He needed to gain access to the city, now was not the time for polite protocol.
"My name is Danal, I traveled from..."
"And what are you doing here?" the guard interrupted.
Church was beginning to fume. There was only so much disrespect he would put up with before he pulled rank on this guy. Church was not a local to this continent, but he was a military officer and deserved decency. "I'm here to find my wife who might've fled here to take refuge."
"Name?" the guard asked.
"Heather Church."
"Never heard of her." the guard replied immediately without doing or looking at anything.
These people didn't have a resident list? Church thought. What kind of joker was running this city?
"What's with the armor?" the guard asked again. "Who are you affiliated with?"
Unprofessional wording aside, that was a question worthy of merit. "The Nation Guard." Church replied.
"Who?"
Church cleared his throat, he realized then that this man probably had no clue about the small government he worked for. "The Nation Guard, we protect and patrol 7 towns in western Americ...." Church had almost forgotten that these people didn't refer to the continent as America. "Ayana." Church corrected himself.
"Uh-huh." the guard looked at Church as if he was crazy. "You're hilarious." the guard said, without smiling, very condescendingly. "Look, I've lived and worked for Marn for over 15 years and have never heard of a Heather Church. Take your search elsewhere, go ahead and see yourself out."

Church was fed up with talking to this man, perhaps he had never heard of Heather but that could be for several reasons. They didn't have a resident's list for one, and two, Heather could've changed her name for safety. Church needed access to the city to be sure. "I wont cause any trouble and I wont be long," Church replied. "I'll check around, then I'll leave."
The guard took a firm grip of Church's shoulder and jerked him over to his face. He was the same height as the guard. Church slowly let his right hand drift to his mace, it was obvious this was getting ugly.
"Do you have a death wish?" the guard said with anger dancing in his eyes. People were beginning to gather around to see the spectacle. "You wont step one foot into this city, ever. You've got about five seconds to get out of my sight."
Church was not going to be intimidated by this asshole, he had been nice and understanding for long enough. It was time to stand up. "I am a military officer, release me and I demand to speak with your superior."
At first Church thought he had gotten through to the guard with the way he reared back in surprise, but then the guard started laughing. "Oh, you'll see him alright." the guard said. "Put your hands behind your back."
The Guard reached for Church's wrist, but Church snatched it away from him and went to unlatch his mace. But before Church could do anything the guard balled up his fist and slammed it hard into Church's face.
Church felt his nose break and stumbled backward, his nose dripping blood.

Church focused and allowed his right hand to begin glowing. He let his hand touch his nose and it was healed.
"Magic user!" the guard yelled into the streets of Marn. "I'm under attack! I need a battlemage, quick!"
"Wha-?" Church said walking toward the guard. "I'm not attacking you!"
Suddenly, another man appeared running down the street. He had the same uniform as the guard only without the helmet, and wearing large red gloves.
"I'm not attacking anyone!" Church called out putting his hands up. But when he did this the man with the red gloves launched a ball of, what appeared to be, ice at Church.

The ice bolt was moving too fast and Church couldn't move away in time. The ice impacted Church and knocked him back several feet before plowing him into the ground. Church couldn't move or catch his breath, it felt like he had been stomped on by a horse. His chest and neck burned horribly, he was frostbitten.

"Take him to Justice Hall," the man with the red gloves commanded. "Lock him up." Two guards yanked Church up by under his arms and began to drag him into the city. The pain was excruciating but he didn't have the air to cry out. As Church was dragged through the city, the citizens who saw the scene cheered and clapped for their guards as if they had just saved them. Church, eventually, was dragged into, what appeared to be, their city hall.

Church was in disbelief, he had underestimated Elder Skytalon's warning. His first stop in his journey to find his wife ended with him getting arrested by a bunch of crazed guards. He couldn't believe that the citizens had actually taken the guards side. Church did not attack him and they knew it! If he had pulled a stunt like to one of the Nation's citizens his government would've discharged him faster than he could spit.

Church tried to calm himself and tried to think. What was he going to do now? He thought

Anther
Citizen
Name: Anther
Race: Human

Post by Anther » Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

They was coming for 'im. He knew it 'cous he'd seen 'em sneaking round wide like he couldn't see 'em. Silent, whisper quiet stalking unknown phantoms he didn't unnerstand. Yeah, yeah, they never spoke but he knew. The guards were clueless. They looked 'im up and down with sneers, dismissed him 'fore he could splain proper, right? Then he was left, alone with the daimons cursed.

"Theogios help me, save me. Theogios protec' me."

He never been like them robed, preachin clueless to the cynical. He thought them daft cut off from the world. But now, now he unnerstood. Here was the underrealm, where those that displeased the big T went. Or maybe, maybe it was for the other Changers, the ones he swore not t'think --

"Theogios. . .Theogios!"

He wouldn't sleep. Shun the blinker eyed, he knew if he didn't stay 'ware they'd come in the dark for him. He chattered, paced. Steps loud and disruptive. 'I'm here!' he said. 'No weirders stealin my soul.' They jeered at him when he twitched and eye rolled at shadows and flickers, but he knew! they were there. Just outta sight. Waitin. Sagath had been taken whole wide mouthed open. Sagath, of all the stunted brown-nosed blighters, he knew weren't Sagath makin' those awful wracking noises. Not like that. He was taken, see. Claimed. An' them white robed prophets of the Great Daimon, whatever it was, they were waitin'. They'd take alla them souls.

Anther kept 'em at bay. Who knew, he thought, eyes rollin this and thatta way, maybe the Daimon'd get tired a playin games. Mebbe he'd come personal, foaming and terrible. Like the Lady, the Lady in his mind was a gross shadow winkin knowing at him, from the alley alla way. T'now. Here. Mebbe they was all in on it.

Least Rue'd 'scaped. Mebbe -- no! If she came, she'd be taken plump an whole.

He didn't wanna -- Theogios save him the thought.

He whimpered in the dark cell. He whimpered and rocked and bit and stomped. He hadda stay awake. He hadda. They'd come otherwise. They'd come for alla 'em.

"Theogios save me. . .Theogios protec'."

Talion
Citizen

Post by Talion » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:45 pm

With the tips of his index fingers, Talion attempted once more to gently examine the area around his nose and between his eyes. It was sensitive to the touch and even though he could not see it, he was certain that if their wasn't a bruise there already, there soon would be. He had to breath shallow breaths through his mouth for he feared that even attempting to try to breath through his nose would be next to impossible, not to mention incredibly painful. As it was he could already smell the blood and taste it at the back of his mouth.

He leaned forward, hunching his shoulders over, in an attempt to keep blood from running down the back of his throat. So instead it dripped down his upper lip until he thought to use the cuff of his sleeve to block the flow.

If matters weren't worse enough, the annoying crying and muttering from the next cell over was very quickly getting on his nerves. It was probably a combination of the headache and the quite possibly broken nose that made him moodier than usual, but he just couldn't deal with sympathy or somebody else on a self pity trip.

"Can you shut up already?" Spoken more like a snotty teenager than somebody with any sort of real incentive to do something about it, Talion was just looking for someone or something to vent a little of his anger and frustration on.

"If you haven't realized this already, nobody can hear you in here and those of us that can, can't help you."

Danal Church
Outsider

Post by Danal Church » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 am

Church was tossed face first onto the cold-hard floor with enough force to cause his jaw to dislocate. Church moaned in agony and, out of reflex, quickly healed himself.
Church quickly scrambled to his feet and prepared to defend himself against the three guards who were quickly surrounding him.
"He DEMANDED that I release him fellas!" the gate guard said as the others laughed and began to mock Church.

Church still couldn't feel his neck and his chest was still on fire, he had seen magic used in battles before, but did not realize how painful it was being on the receiving end of it.

Church reached for his mace only to realize it wasn't there anymore.

"Looking for this?" another guard said twirling the mace in his hands. "I'll tell ya what, if it takes me more than 5 smacks with it to beat you to a pulp then you can have it back."

That brought ensuing laughter amongst the guards.

Church felt in his pouch for something, anything, that he could use to defend him self. His fingers brushed passed a curiously hard object. Church continued to feel it out until he realized what it was. He had forgotten that he had kept the cup Elder Skytalon had given to him that once held Baldo Tea.
Maybe, if he was lucky and accurate enough, he could nail the guard with the cup and snatch the mace from him during his disorientation.
It was a long shot, and even if he was able to get his mace back his chances of evading these guards and escaping the city was slim to none. But he didn't know what else he could do.

Church silently prayed, an act he normally did in unusually stressful situations, he never really directed the prayer at anything or anyone in particular, he just prayed. Somehow it made Church feel more at ease and closer to the Astral Plain.

Church hooked the cup with his index and middle finger and flung it with as much force as he could muster at the guard.
Amazingly, the hard cup impacted the guard right between the eyes which caused him to drop the mace and stagger back.
Church wasted no time and dove for the mace, only to get impacted by another ice blast.

The battlemage had come into the room on the level above just in time to put a stop to Church's plans.

Church laid on his back in the middle of the room, panting, trying to catch his breath.

But the guards weren't having any of that.

Church felt himself getting pulled up by his neck, only to get punched back down. Over and over again.

"Remove his armor and toss him in lock-up with the others when you're finished." the battlemage ordered with a frighteningly calm tone, and then quietly left the room.

By then, Church had blood dripping into his eyes and had lost a tooth. He was too weak to call upon the Astral Plain to heal him. Church,again, felt himself being pulled to his feet and his armor being removed. His neck felt like rubber and could not support the weight of his head. Consciousness began to retreat from him.

"Remember guys, he's a military officer from Ayana. Treat him with some fucking respect." the guard said causing another round of laughter.

When Church's armor was removed he felt another punch go deep into his stomach, removing the little air that he did have and bringing him to his knees, then to his side which put him in a perfect position for another guard to boot Church's face like a ball, breaking his nose and causing even more blood to pour from his face.

Now Church was laying in a puddle of his own blood, limp and unable to move.

Church felt himself slipping away.

The guard that greeted Church at the gate crouched down by him. "Now that I think about it, I do know a Heather Church." he said.

At the sound of Heather's name, Church blinked and was able to gather up the energy to listen.

"She had a good deal going on last night, 50 bishani and she let me do whatever I wanted to her. I'd be surprised if she's walking straight today." the guard said bursting into laughter with the other two guards.

Church lost it and felt the hate and fury rise within him. Church was too weak to move, his injuries were too painful. The thought of what the guard had said played through his mind over and over again and was only occasionally drowned out by their mocking laughter.
Hate overwhelmed him and he felt himself disconnect from the Astral Plain. Thoughts and visions began to play through his mind of him chasing this bastard down and ripping him to pieces.

The visions were all too familiar to Church and were like nightmares to him. He tried to fight the thoughts off, but lost his will with each resounding laughter as he slipped into a dark place in his mind

The thoughts of this guards death began to escalate in Church's mind and were somehow comforting to him now. Church liked the thought of the guard trying to run from him. It was his favorite vision. More continued to play following it.

Chasing, fighting, hurting, ripping........feeding?

Suddenly, Church felt his stomach lurch as the gaping hunger over took him again. Church gritted his teeth but had no air to cry out. Church was helpless as he felt his mind being invaded again.

"Did you think you could suppress me forever?" the parasite bellowed in Church's mind.

Months had passed without a single word from the evil hunger. He had forgotten how terrifying it was hearing it speak inside of him. Church rolled on his other side, gripped his stomach and felt his face contort. Church opened his eyes, but saw only darkness. "Go away!" Church tried to say, but the words would not come out. There was no laughter now, only the sounds of moaning and screaming, from the throats of creatures he'd rather not see.

"NOW is the time for vengeance. Let me heal you. Let me in! LET ME FEED!!" it screamed in Church's mind.

The ounce of strength Church had left was spent fighting for dominance of himself for what seemed like hours. He was soo hungry and soo angry. The parasite continued to plant seeds of hate in his mind until, eventually, Church couldn't tell what his thoughts were any more.
Church was small compared to the monsters he had to fight off. Fear overwhelmed his as he was attacked by Horrifying, contorted creatures that he did not recognize.

"Why do you fear?" the parasite growled. "This is what you are, this is what has happened to you."

Church suddenly felt the need to look to his left, where he saw a mirror granting him a reflection. Church saw himself, but then began to panic as an overwhelming certainty came over him that something horrifying was about to happen.

A feeling that happened frequently in his nightmares.

The reflection of himself began to morph as his eyes became sold black, slime began to run down his face and tentacles protruded from his mouth.
It began to laugh at him. A laugh so awful that Church cupped his ears in an effort to silence it.

"You will never leave." the creature in the mirror whispered.

Church kept his sanity. "It's just a nightmare." Church said to himself. "You're not real. You're not real."

"You will never leave."
"You will never leave."

"Ahhh!" Church cried out as he opened his eyes to more darkness, sweat dripping off of his face. The terrifying noises had ceased but still seemed to echo in Church's ears. Somehow this didn't seem like a nightmare.

Church got on his feet, disoriented, his bones and joints screaming in protest.

Church slowly walked with his hands out in front of him until his hands brushed against iron bars that prevented him from going any further. Further investigation revealed more iron bars on his right and left side and a hard wall to his back.

Church tried to collect his thoughts, he couldn't remember what was reality and what was fiction.

All he knew was that he was now behind bars.

Anther
Citizen

Post by Anther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:10 am

"Theogios --" Anther had spoke up to defend hisself gainst the natty words of one of them who'd gotten him all mixed up in the Lady and her gold knockered schemes. He was drowned out by a sound, a new sound, a familiar dawning scream of one awakened to the nightmare.

Familiar enough he jes stopped talking a space. When the sound'd stopped he continued, all injured an stubborn wounded pride. "Theogios knows me, see. Only I gotta make sure he don't lose me here. Daimons crawlin bout, an I know," here, another prisoner further down yelled loudly for him to shut up. He hunched his shoulders and tipped his chin, defiant like up against another man-child with a shiv, "I know y'think I'm crazy but lissen, lissen when the claws come out ye'll be welcome t' me noise then."

He teetered back an forth against the bars or wall of the cage, the rabbit trap cage they had em all wrapped up in waiting till they'd all weakened enough to slip em into the fire. He knew his vision would blur even if the velvet darkness didn't press up strange to his eyes like he had two perfect fitting blinders placed cunning over them. He stumbled in the darkness, hearin the derisive laughter from men he'd never met an didn't fancy meeting with.

"You'll see!" He spat.

Talion
Citizen

Post by Talion » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:55 am

Talion just sat there with his head up against the wall behind him. He had a feeling that as much as he pleaded with the other miserable prisoners to keep quiet so that he could nurse his headache, that they were just going to keep on whining. He could be just as stubborn as they were but at the moment he just didn't have the energy for it.

The longer he sat there the more he thought about just curling up there on the floor and forgetting about everything. He wanted to just let go and lose himself in the dark. The world had turned against him and now all he wanted to do was close his eyes and give up. They won, whoever they were. He didn't have he energy to fight. He didn't have the strength to argue. He just wanted to lay there and forget about everything.

It felt so easy at that moment. For too long he had been out there pushing onwards and for what? What did he get out of it? Some drugs, some alcohol. Sure but what was the point? At the end of the day he was still that awkward young boy that never had a place. He had no home, he had no family, he had no friends and at this moment he saw he reason for any of it.

The dark was welcoming to his misery. Where he had had his demons to keep him company all these years, now he had this cold cell. It would be his home, it would be that one thing he could look forward to when he had nothing else. It would be the constant in his life that he would be able to expect each time he opened his eyes, if he opened his eyes.

He could live this way, or die. At this point he didn't have much of a preference either way.

Danal Church
Outsider

Post by Danal Church » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:33 pm

The disorientation of the sudden awakening from the nightmare had passed.

Church tried to sit up, but found that too painful. After several painful readjustments, Church found a comfortable spot on his left side to lay without irritating his bones or injuries.
He was positive his nose was broken and both of his shoulders felt dislocated.

A few moments earlier Church had attempted to heal himself, to no avail. The Astral Plane was gone and Church didn't feel it anywhere. Where was he?

With the departure of the Astral Plane, however, came the sickening presence of the parasite in his mind, again, invading his very thoughts. His hunger for flesh was as strong as ever and Church could smell it all around him. Church had experienced the hunger enough to build a small resistance to the temptation to feed, even though he had almost failed twice already since his rising.

If anything good came out of this it was that Church was surrounded by metal bars and couldn't hope to feed even if he lost control. That thought was a slight comfort to him.

"Soon." the parasite mumbled in his mind. "Soon."

Anther
Citizen

Post by Anther » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 am

The night passed. Wretched, sweaty, disturbed by ill-timed wracking coughs deep from the lungs and belly of some, it -- or what Anther took for night since the clinkersnits bade them all shut up and doused all light -- crawled by. Anther got dizzy, but he kept his peace with himself, a starveling of sleep and reason. His voice drew out to a quiet rasp, and when the lights popped and hissed back into being he caught himself from a nodder's breath away from the doom, doom of alla them. Theogios' embrace, he but let his own weakness tear hisself apart.

He smelled food. It was food in a grubber's sense, a pittance of gooey mush scraped together from the chaff decent folk wouldn't dare finger or look at. Cheap slop not fit for any but the damned. Damned, left to rot, left to sink into wild madness and daimon wandering. His head lolled. Prisoners complained, whined, their voices lifting in the music Anther knew came only with the slop. Feed then, vermin. Lick the bowls clean. His own stomach pinched and groaned and rumbled. Resistance meant eating. Eating meant giving in. Death, life, it all played fever pitch to the nasty daimon's prison for the bad souls. It wasn't Anther's fault, it wasn't!

He almost tipped the bowl slid roughly into his small cell, delerious. Summat times they'd wobble it across a purposeful, to watch the hungry damned lick and snatch at it. Sometimes one of the Cursed's own would whisper walk to them, full of chastisement for messes. Messes weren't to be had, no, not with the Cursed watchin' em. Daimon take them. Theogios protect.

He leaned against the bars, received a lazy aimed kick for those troubles. He near collapsed, fatigue and hunger felling him, the dead man waiting to be corrupted. He laughed hollowly into his bowl, crying again so the man across his own cell could point and mock to humiliate him still further.

Anther mumbled his prayers, and cried into his bowl.

Rorgue
Outsider
Name: Rorgue

Post by Rorgue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

After a night of playing sniffer-dog for the guardsmen, Rorgue had to be dragged back to his cell. He barely noticed it. His head was fog, pain, exhaustion... He could barely remember a time when it was anything else. Only weeks ago -- or is it months now...? -- he had been happy, healthy, living with... well, he had troubling focusing on one thought anymore, remembering names or words.

He certainly had no idea what day it was, or what was going on outside his little world of misery. Even though they let him walk unchained beside them, the air was tainted by magic. Once it had inspired him, but now... he hated it. The feeling of magic. It felt... wrong. Like it had no place in his body -- which was, in fact, the reality of it, as far as he could tell. He was no magical creature. He had no reason to be involved in any of this.

Thud.

He was dropped -- thrown, really -- onto the floor of his cell. He heard the metal clanking of the door being closed, locked, and the soft footsteps of the guard leaving. Leaving Rorgue alone, in the dark. In this wonderful place where no magic could touch him. It was freezing cold, smelt absolutely horrid, and was intimidating enough to make grown men cry. He could hear someone crying even as he laid there, on the cold, hard, dirty prison-cell floor.

Still, he loved the place. He prayed for it constantly as he wandered the streets of Marn. It was peaceful. His wounds still itched, however. They had even pulled out his fingernails to stop him from accidentally -- or, perhaps, intentionally -- injuring himself. That was a bad day, but it was days ago now.

But despite his love for the lack of magic whenever he stepped foot into Justice Hall, Rorgue did miss the solitude that came with having his own room. It was not so different from these cells, other than being a closed room with no windows, no bars, and no noise.

They had, he supposed, been monitoring him, or trying to keep him from having any contact with prisoners, or something like that. He didn't really care what the reason was. He just wanted to be alone. It wasn't himself to be like that, and he knew it, but somehow the constant rambling and sobbing and shouting and cursing and screaming and groaning and arguing was getting on his nerves.

It took a while, drifting in and out of consciousness, before Rorgue noticed the prisoners had been fed. He considered looking around for his own meal, but didn't feel like eating anyway. Moving his arms was too much of an effort right then to be bothering with food. He didn't care about the line of drool running from his mouth as he laid still, unable to sleep, just... lying there, on the floor, half-listening to the less-than-comforting sounds of dungeon life.

He hadn't even noticed that there was someone else in the cell with him.

Talion
Citizen

Post by Talion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Talion hardly registered the act of a guard member dropping a bowl of what was supposed to be food within his cell. He had remained there on the floor, curled up in a ball with his face covered. It hurt less now, his face that is, but he still felt the pain when his hand brushed against it. Not to mention he could still smell nothing but blood.

It wasn't until the cell door was open and another person was dropped inside that the boy moved. He half crawled half dragged himself across the cold floor so as not to be so close to the other that he could touch him. A small part of him said that touching the other person might help him. He might feel better, if only for a while. Then, there was that other part, the one that said that he just wanted to be alone. He didn't want to interact with others, he just wanted to go back to being alone with only demons for company.

He eyed his new cellmate from one of the back corners. He tried to make as little noise as possible, but considering that he couldn't breath out of his nose he had to suck in air through his dry cracked lips and in doing so he made a wheezing sound that the other was sure to hear. It was a man, he noticed after looking at him for some time. The darkness helped to hide things like gender and lesser obvious physical traits, but Talion was sure that this cellmate of his was a man by the size of his body alone. He looked to be older too, but by how much so he could not guess.

That was when his stomach began to grumble and he was forced to look through the dark for the bowl that he had forgotten. It was still there by the door, sitting untouched and looking just as unpleasant. He was sure that if he could smell right now that he had to have smelled worse than it looked, but luckily for him that wasn't something he would have to endure. Slowly he pulled himself across the floor and reached his fingers into the bowl of semi-solid mush. If one good thing could be said for it, it was easy to swallow and it required little to no chewing in going down.

Danal Church
Outsider

Post by Danal Church » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 am

Even after only a few hours in the darkness of the prison, Church could not bring his eyes to adjust to the sudden array of light that immersed itself through the room. Bringing his palms up to his eyes, Church continued to cover them until he felt his sight had properly adjusted to the light.

The first thing Church saw was anything but pleasant or amusing. It was, in fact, the very guard that Church had spoken to when he had tried to gain entrance to the city. The same guard that called the battlemage to take him down.
The guard had a grin of amusement seeing Church struggle to adjust to the light. "You know." the guard said. "I always love coming down here. It's good to see the fruits of our labor."

Church ignored him and noticed the guard holding a bowl of, what Church thought was, pig feed and was sloshing it around.

The guard noticed Church looking at the bowl. "Oh this?" he said, opening up a small opening in the cell and tossing the bowl inside. "I wanted to deliver your first bowl myself, the first bite is always the best...Well...for me anyway." The guard laughed aloud like it was hilarious. "Eat it. Now. I want to see."

Church looked down at the slop that was mostly still in the bowl. Church hadn't tasted anything since he had risen and the only thing he could ever smell now was flesh. The food he had tried to eat, he threw up only seconds later.
He had been starving for months now, but he somehow was not dieing from it which, Church assumed, was a result of the parasite lurking within him. At first the starvation was extremely painful, almost unbearably so. But, after awhile, he had become accustomed to the pain and was able to play it off like nothing was wrong.
However, even not being able to smell the slop, it still looked unappetizing and Church decided that he would remain hungry. What other option did he have anyway?

"It wasn't a question." the guard said looking down at him. "Eat it. Or you and I could have another private meeting. Either way suits me, how's your nose?"

The guards grin and overly pompous attitude could not have been more offensive to Church and he would've loved nothing more than to take the bowl and throw it at him. His wounds, however, were too great and Church wasn't up for another round of beating either. Church would try to eat some, throw it up and give this guard the amusement he was wanting.
Church did exactly that and when he heaved it back up the guard seemed pleased and satisfied with the results.
What a sick individual, Church thought. He sincerely hoped Heather was not here.

After the guard was done laughing, he pulled out a paper that had been rolled up in his pocket and looked down at it. "You made quite an impression, you know, for having only been here for a short time." he said, grinning and pointing at the page.
"You should be proud of yourself, made the first article of the Daily Tattler. Really, it's quite the page turner." he said laughing and looking back down at the page. "An egotistical man, invading the city using magic!" the guard exclaimed sarcastically portraying it as big news.
"After at first being shaken and frightened by the criminal's bold act, the citizens let up a small cheer as the City Guard swooped in and saved the day!" The guard chuckled to himself in amusement as if even he knew it was over exaggerated.
"I swear man," the guard continued. "It's like walking through a room full of toddlers. They all think you're a hero, as long as you tell them that you are." the guard said, continuing to laugh to himself as he rolled up the paper and put it back in his pocket.
"But you, sir, are now a criminal. Why?" he asked, putting his face up against the bars. "Because we said you are."

Church did his best to continue to ignore the guard, but the real struggle he was facing was with the parasite attempting, once again, to take control. Church was fighting off the rage and hate he felt toward the guard, because all that did was provide more ammunition for the parasite to attack his humanity.
Church brought his palms over his eyes and tried to filter out any negative thoughts that attempted to enter his mind. Stamina and Will were two things he needed right now that he did not have enough of.

Church kept his eyes closed and hoped that when he opened them again, the guard would be gone.

Anther
Citizen

Post by Anther » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:26 am

"He's caught." Rue spat, viciously digging her knife into the top of their small, rugged table.

"You ain't seen it. Whaddya know? Cause you bout got a nobbin you're pissin." Yoger said without his usual calm.

"I ain't stayin here."

"Hold it a breather."

"I ain't waitin."

They glared at each other from across the dilapidated room. It stank like sweat and mildew, the only home they'd had earned by working, even if the working was only petty violence.

"If it was you Anther'd --"

"Piss on him!" Rue wrenched the knife back and forth, her face splotchy and ugly and red. "I dint get him caught!"

"You got no kno--"

"If he ain't caught he's huggin dirt. Whiny little rotter, y'sound like you're waitin for mommy." Her lip curled.

"Shut up!" Yoger got to his feet, though it had no visible effect on Rue. They both knew she was the taller, and she was built thick like a thug besides. She outclassed them all, when it come to fighting.

"Can't keep it here with two. Done, that's what we is. Time t'join up with Scrath, or the Durlip Reds."

"One night."

"Leeger'll scup it 'fore tomorrow ends. If it ain't Leeger, it'll be Fisti's boys."

There was no place to look. Somehow the tiny basement hovel was smaller with only the two of them to argue with each other, no Sagath to sulk prettily. No Anther to break 'em.

"Change you, leave! I'll find him, and free him square."

Rue only laughed at him, but she didn't look at him then. "No, mate. They've taken Anther, and the little bastard too. See? There's no 'freeing' no one outta that. No one leaves. It's over."

Anther was sweating. Dehydrated sweating, stinking sour. He dangled all cut puppet, teetering between smashing into the bars on one side, floor on the other. Dance, dance puppety dance. His head pulsed and hammered pain, lack of sleep and physical scrapes rousing his body to protest.

There was a daimon minion standing not far off, staring fixed like into the cell just off his own. He was talking in at the cell. Talking, ordering, converting. Vomit stench burned his nose, just one more foul thing amidst the many.

"Don' lissen." He slurred, blinking and swaying like he was drunken drugged up to his nosehairs. "Don' lissen! Take yer soul they will." He was overloud for his own head, and them across his cell jeered to hear him talk. He sounded a streetwise prophet, capering in rags.

The ending sleep was close, crowding in his brain to stop him thinking. The Daimon was close, sticky fingers peeling into him, slicing his thoughts up. It would be over soon, but he'd done his best, by Theogios.

Rorgue
Outsider
Name: Rorgue

Post by Rorgue » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:36 pm

The loud, arrogant voice of one of the guardsmen drifted through the cells, echoing just slightly off the stone walls. It was enough to catch Rorgue's attention, if briefly, and he made the effort to turn and watch the scene – at least, as well as he could from this distance. After all, he didn't usually hear the guards taunt the prisoners so openly. Not for any need to be courteous, of course, but the men who ruled down here were quiet, cruel people who would rather stick you with pins and hot metal pokers than taunt you directly like this man was doing.

It was only after the sound of the prisoner losing his meal had turned into the guard's rambling about a newspaper, that Rorgue noticed the sound of heavy breathing and quiet shuffling beside him. He listened for a moment, but it sounded a little too close for someone in the next cell... which meant getting up and moving again.

Pushing down on the floor with his hands proved futile, with no strength in his arms to even begin to hold himself up. Instead, he settled for rolling onto his back – as exhausting a movement as that was – and then turning just enough to face the person who, now that Rorgue could see them, was in the same cell. That was new. That was... uncomfortable.

At least whoever it was looked small.

The area was lit well enough to make visible the bowl of food, which actually managed to make Rorgue feel a little hungry, despite how unwell he always felt. Maybe I'm getting used to it, he wondered, a little surprised that he hadn't yet passed out. A depressing thought, considering how welcoming unconsciousness had become recently.

As he glanced over his new cellmate, Rorgue noted the dark hair and elven appearance, though most of the people down here seemed to be elves. He'd wondered briefly before if there were any shifters locked up down here as well, but he'd never seen anyone shift here, if it were even possible. Even if they did, he guessed they would probably just be locked in a sealed room, or a box, or just killed outright.

Maybe that's what they feed us, he thought, quite seriously, and was disgusted at himself when he didn't feel any less inclined to eat the food because of it.

Regardless of what the food was made of, Rorgue was very eager to fill his stomach now. He couldn't quite see all around the cell to see if there was another bowl, but he reached out his arm and tried to touch the elven-looking youth. He tried to speak, to ask for help, but all that escaped him was a hoarse, mumbled whisper, followed by a short, unintended whine.