Encounters at Dusk

Factories along the northern quarter of the city for the production of goods like cloth, brewed ale, and construction materials. An old water-wheel provides power for half the city.
Breda Dreaughan
Citizen
Name: Breda Dreaughan
Race: Dwarf

Re: Encounters at Dusk

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

Surprised, Breda sprinted after the fox. What on earth had gotten into her, surely she wasn’t chasing more rats?

When she reached the back alley, just in time to see Fayane morph, she cursed her out loud. Not street smart, this one. You didn’t get involved into other people’s business, if you wanted to live to see the next day. Yet she was forced to retract her thoughts almost immediately, as Fay tossed the man aside with relative ease. This woman was trained!

As the man was forcefully moved aside, Breda got her first good look of the girl, a small half-elf. After a beat, she realized that she knew this one. A nice, smart girl, she recalled, but a bit too proud for that line of work. The girl had stayed for a while in the same house, but had left after getting in an argument with the Mistress. Regardless, she had been a friend, and Breda realized she couldn’t just walk away anymore. So she rushed to the girl, grasped her wrist and pulled her away from Fay and the man. With her free hand she reached for the little dagger she carried. She was no expert with the weapon, but it made her feel better to have it on hand.
“Breda?” The shocked girl whispered. Granted, the dwarf had changed somewhat since they had last seen each other.
“Yeah,” Breda replied shortly, glancing hastily around. “Talk later.”

And then she saw the other men in the shadows.
“Fayane!”

Fayane
Citizen
Name: Fayane
Race: Shapeshifter

Post by Fayane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am

Fay mentally nodded her approval when Breda dragged the girl away, only to curse silently as she heard the footsteps and Breda's warning. There were more. Three more the be specific. Fay eyed the men as they moved to cut off her exit. Looks like she wasn't about to be able to leave this scene peacefully.

"Gentlemen I will give you one warning and one alone. Leave immediately and leave unharmed. Continue with this foolish idea and you will suffer greatly." Fay growled, her hands drifting to rest on the blades that stayed on her sides at all times. The lead male snorted and jerked his chin. He wasn't stupid... entirely. He'd seen how the girl had thrown his man. She wasn't weak. A quick gesture was meant to fix that. At his signal the man who'd slid behind Fay, attacked.

Fay's ears caught the sound of metal singing and quickly brought her hand up, her eyes never leaving the leaders, and caught the wrist wielding the blade. "Remember, you were warned." Fay's voice was cold, and void of emotion as her mind clicked into her assassination mode. A twist of her wrist had the man howling in agony as his own bent back, forcing him to drop the blade. Another flick and a twist of her body had the man sailing over her shoulder to land on his back before her. Fay looked up, her eyes like ice as she drew her blades. The metal sang and sliced the air as she flourished them.

"Care to try again?" Fay silently stood in place, her back to the women she was protecting, as she awaited the reply.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Two men down, and the other two still didn't look like they were giving up. This was obviously going beyond injured pride, what on earth where they after? At first it had looked like a casual rape, and surely Breda and Fayane - this new, unfamiliar Fayane with cold, unemotional voice and manners of a professional killer - didn't look rich enough to be worth all this trouble?

I suppose they're in drugs. Nothing new there.
Clutching her dagger, Breda moved to Fay's side. A voice - and not even a quiet one - inside her head screamed that she was being an idiot, but she felt like she no longer had control over her feet. Behind the other two, the hapless half-elf cowered against the wall.

So when the men came, they came for both of them. In drugs or no, the human was obviously much more skilled in street fighting than Breda, and he managed to grasp the dwarfs wrist before she had any chance of using her dagger. Realizing her weapon was of no use, Breda grasped the man's arm with her free left hand. She was not a small woman - on dwarf scale, that is - and her muscles had received some serious training during the past two months. After a time that felt like an eternity, but probably was no more than a couple of seconds, the man's elbow joint gave in. To Breda's misfortune, that happened only after the man had used his free hand and stabbed the dwarf to her left arm, just below the shoulder, with a knife.

The man staggered backwards, clutching his useless arm, while stunned Breda was left standing and staring her bleeding shoulder. At first she felt no pain, just some kind of dull surprise, mixed with disappointment.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 am

Fay ignored Breda as she stepped forward - surely a blacksmith would have some form of martial training? The sound of something snapping out of place was Fay's answer. Just as she was about to nod her approval she smelt blood. Okay maybe not so keen. Her attention snapped back to the other male - a half-elf - as he charged at her. Spinning slightly Fay swung out her leg and effectively dropped the half-elf with a kick to the throat. Turning she finished of Breda's opponent with yet another kick - this one slamming into the male's jaw. He was out like a light and both her charges were alive and safe... Fay's eyes warmed once more as she slid into a less-lethal state of mind. Turning she eyed the half-elf woman and Breda.

"So much for my night off..." Fay murmured to herself before turning to Breda. "I'm going to need to see that stab." Already she was prepared to rip her cloak should the woman need bandages bad enough. Though judging from the blood-flow she'd be fine.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 pm

The stab was starting to seriously hurt, and Breda gritted her teeth. The arm refused to move, but the blood flow didn't look too alarming. The knife had gone deep, but missed the arteries.
"Your night off?" She replied to Fayane. "You do this for a living? No wonder you were so... efficient." She turned to look at the prostitute, who was still petrified and mute like a deer in a torchlight. "You okay?"

Her arm hurt, her back hurt, her stomach hurt, and she felt dizzy and faint. Cursed... everything. Note to self: Next time, keep the bloody windows shut! She closed her eyes for a moment, drawing a deep breath to settle both her mind and her stomach. Nah, it's not her fault, really. I guess it's just the story of my bloody life.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Fay winced, the dwarf-woman wasn't meant to hear that... oh well it couldn't be helped now. "Yes... yes, I do." Fay murmured before grabbing the hem of her cloak and ripping the fabric for a make-shift bandage. Fay ignored the whore that she'd saved - she was safe now and of no concern to Fay, and while thought seems cold and cruel it was, to Fay's mind, perfectly fine. Of course... the way that girl had stared at Breda earlier made Fay think she knew the woman. Smiling slightly at the petrified woman Fay began to wrap Breda's arm.

"Please do not be afraid, I assure you, we mean you know harm." Bandaging done Fay turned to the girl and lifted her to her feet with relative ease. "Are you hurt?" Wehn the girl shook her head Fay smiled once more and gestured at Breda. "I assume you know this woman?" The girl nodded, she seemed to be calming down. "Very good... now if you'll excuse me..." Fay turned back to Breda. "I'll be right back." And off she strode. She walked about a minute or two before happening on a fellow guard. She relayed the events, times, actions she took and the people involved as she lead the human male to the scene.

"I still don't understand why you just don't report it yourself Faya," Jon, the guard muttered as they turned to corner back to the women. "It's not like it's hard." "It's my day off, Jon, and I have no desire to spend it writing up paper work." Was the easy reply. Jon nodded to the women before looking down at the unconscious men and whistled.

"You and that broad did a number on them. Very well then, I'll report this, write it up, and all that. You'll have some paperwork when you get back though." Fay nodded before turning back to the women. "Now where shall we traverse, ladies?"

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Having seen how skilled Fayane was in combat, Breda wasn't exactly surprised to find out that she was fairly handy with bandages as well. It made sense that those two things went hand in hand. She did miss the fluffy, cuddly fox, though. Life had been so much easier and considerably less painful with that version of the woman.

When Fayane disappeared, Breda and the half-elf sunk into awkward silence. It had been a few years since they had seen each other, but the distance between them was now greater than that, and it was difficult to tell which one felt more uncomfortable. Breda felt somewhat relieved when Fay returned with the human.
So you're a guard, then. Must be some kind of special forces, though. Never seen a guard that was that efficient. On or off duty.

"Right now home sounds like the most appealing destination to me," she replied to Fayane's question."Will you be okay?" She then asked the half-elf. "You really shouldn't be doing this on the streets."

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Fay, too, looked at the women, who nodded. She mumbled something that Fay couldn't quite catch and scampered off. Confused at the woman's level of intimidation, Fay turned back to Breda. "Sounds like an excellent plan. Farewell Jon, I shall see you at another time." Fay called easily to the second guard before walking away and around a corner, following Breda. After a safe distance was travelled, Fay lightly grabbed the woman to catch her attention.

"You must have realized I am a guard. You must also realize that guards are not permitted to be... magically inclined." Really it was likely a bad idea to tell Breda such things, however should an issue arise, Fay could easily just kill the dwarf woman.

"As such I would greatly appreciate it if you kept my... abilities a secret." Fay's eyes kept to Breda's own. "I have no issues with assisting you where needed in exchange for your ... discretion." Her eyes saddened. "I'd rather not hurt or worse, kill you, which is why I make this offer. Tell no one, and you have a trained assassin and guard at your disposel." Why she made such an offer was beyond her. Usually Fay kept her secrets to herself, made no attempt to protect others other than when she was on duty. So why the sudden change? She wondered. Fay snapped her attention back to Breda, still awaiting her reply.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Breda answered with a simple nod. She certainly wasn't going to fight the woman, even if she had had a reason to not keep her secrets.

She stood still for a moment, leaning her back on the wall and pressing the stab wound with her other hand. An assassin, a guard and a shapeshifter, what a combination. And Breda had ended up knowing her secrets by accident. Of course she could have just nodded and walked away, but she had no desire to have an unfair advantage over the woman who had saved her life. From some long forgotten corner of her soul, the dwarven honour surfaced.

"I used to work with her," she finally said with a soft tone, nodding with her head towards the direction the half-elf had disappeared. "We lived in the same brothel for a while. But she left years ago."

There. Now we're even.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 am

Fay nodded as well. She understood, even on a more primal sense, what Breda had done. She'd evened out the score. The smile she gave the older woman was one of understanding and thanks. She stepped backwards two or three steps before shifting. Blue eyes blinked up at Breda once more from the face of a fox. She trotted back up to the woman, hopped on a near-by box, before hopping back on her shoulders, gently nuzzling the woman's cheek before once more sliding across her shoulders; always taking care to avoid her hurt arm. Settled once more, Fay mewled and nuzzled the woman's cheek again, her tail gently wagging.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Breda smiled softly at the fox, as the animal wrapped herself around her shoulders. She was now even more mystified by the shapeshifter than before, but the fox had an astonishing ability to make her feel at ease. Even though the vivid memory of the woman bringing the thugs down with deadly efficiency wasn't likely going to fade any time soon.

Dear God, she was tired. Her whole body was aching, and her knees felt just about ready to give in. Nothing could have sounded more inviting right now than her own bed.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:47 am

Fay felt the woman's shoulders droop and realized she must be exhausted. Working at a blacksmiths was difficult work, and Fay's surprise had likely caused more stress than needed. She considered her options. She could leave the woman, lower to stress caused. A glance at the woman's hooded eyes told her that'd be a bad idea - she'd be an easy target for muggers. She could stay on her shoulders. But that'd add access weight. She could allow Breda to ride her... Fay winced. Being used as a common mount was very... lowering. However the woman hadn't complained despite the whole ordeal the shifter had put her through... It was, Fay decided, time to even the score even more. For what would likely be the last time that night, Fay leaped down from Breda's shoulders. One the ground once more she shifted - halfway. Limbs grew and so did her scruff. Soon she looked more like a rather furry human with a fox-like face. Turning to Breda she silently lowered herself to all fours.

"You must be exhausted. Climb on and guide me. Fear not about hurting me, I doubt if I'll even feel you atop me. I will be slow so as to make sure you do not loose your balance." Fay murmured, her voice sounding yappy and higher-pitched than usual. Blue eyes looked up easily at Breda.

"This will get you home safe, sound, and at a quicker pace." Fay looked forward before resting on her elbows to lower her back so Breda could climb on with ease.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 am

The sight of the half-human, half-fox was a bit much for Breda's exhausted brain, but she was certainly very, very tired and the road to home seemed very, very long. So after a moment's hesitation, she climbed carefully to Fay's back. Despite the fox-woman's assurances, she tried to sit as gently and still as possible. Using the other as a mount was somewhat embarrassing experience to the dwarf as well.

"I'm staying at The Content Merchant," she murmured wearily. "Do you know the way?"
Last edited by Breda Dreaughan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fayane
Citizen

Post by Fayane » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:50 am

Fay nodded and easily began moving swiftly towards the place. Her movements, despite how exhaustion was catching up, were fluid and easy as her intention was to keep the ride as swift and easy as possible. As she moved down the streets and alleys she made sure to glance in a reflective surface to be sure the dwarf was still on her. The woman was light by the Changers! Soon enough Fay reached The Content Merchant, she paused at the door before simply moving forward and reaching up with a paw awkwardly and opening the device. Silently she slipped inside the building before looking around then twisting her neck to look at the half-asleep dwarf on her back.

"Where is your room? I'd like to be sure you make it to your bed... it is the least I can do..." Fay murmured. She doubted if the small woman could make it up the stairs.

Breda Dreaughan
Citizen

Post by Breda Dreaughan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Breda shook herself awake from the half-asleep state she had been lulled to by the shapechanger's smooth movements. Se glanced briefly around, to find out that the hall was fortunately empty. The innkeeper tolerated and the guests were used to all kinds of travelers, but Fayane's half-changed form might have been a bit too much for an innocent bystander, especially at this time of night.

"It's okay," she assured, sliding down from the back of the fox. She actually felt more steady on her feet, for the ride had given her a change to rest and recover a little. "My room is just above the stairs, I'll be fine." She smiled at the fox-woman, carefully touching her furry shoulders. "You have done more than I can ask for. You quite possibly saved my life back there."