A Place To Stay

Factories along the northern quarter of the city for the production of goods like cloth, brewed ale, and construction materials. An old water-wheel provides power for half the city.
Saku
Outsider
Name: Saku Imorien
Race: Half Elven-Fae

Re: A Place To Stay

Post by Saku » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 am

“You are, of course, right. He can’t leave here with the amount he has heard. But well, he might be useful. Have you done any research on the target yet?” She asked Eve, subtly shifting position, a slight shrug of her shoulders send the cat sliding down her back walking stealthily to the broken door and lying down at the entrance like a guard dog.

“It doesn’t really matter whether you trust me or not, I would expect you not to. If you did trust me I certainly wouldn’t wish to work with you. That would give you a gaping weakness. “ She placed her megre weight on the corner of a table, sitting cautiously and observing Abmesh. “I think, it has been unfortunate for you to come wandering in here. You have fallen into plans far too deep for you, and it was partially my own fault. I should have moved you on when I first got here.” She let out a small sigh and tipped her head back, the white dreadlocks lying on the table as she looked up at the ceiling.

“I might suggest you don’t stray too far, lest you make us feel you are escaping. It would be a shame to have to kill you, a waste of knowledge and talent. If you are careful, you should come to no real harm.” Her violet eyes fixed him with a stare of great intensity, like a laser beam.

“I feel the best course would be not to approach him directly, he would suspect that. Instead to do some research, locate a back way in, he must have a trapdoor to let himself out when all fails. I suggest we find out about him and find his flaw.”

Xandras
Outsider
Name: Eve
Race: Unknown [looks human]

Post by Xandras » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am

After being asked about her research on the target, Eve nodded her head and spoke. “Yea, I’ve done some basic research on this guy. Real nutjob, the City Guard almost put him away for illegal magic experimenting but they never got enough proof. Who knows how he gets the funding, but if rumours are true, he uses live humans for his test subjects.” She said. Eve didn’t show outright distaste for that path, but personally thought that such an approach was rather revolting.

“Hmm...let me think.” Eve said. She looked upward and scratched behind her ear with one finger, what she usually did when thinking. After a few moments, she removed her finger from behind her ear and resumed eye contact. She had a plan.

“There are several options to go with. We could ask around the marketplace for this guy’s usual activity, or we could press some of the local scum for info. On top of that the blueprints for this guys home HAS to still be around somewhere, so getting a hold of them might be a big help. Finally, we could check his home ourselves, seeing what our eyes tell us.” She finished, crossing her arms.

“I’m not sure which option is best, any thoughts?”

Abmesh Gwaelei
Citizen
Name: Abmesh Gwaelei
Race: Human-Bullfrog shifter

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:44 am

Now, they were talking about holding him captive! Abmesh would no doubt have found this terribly exciting, had he heard it at all. Alas, it failed to penetrate his mighty neural miasma of Looking For Something, He Couldn't Remember What. In fact, it failed so miserably that he didn't even turn around to face those dagger eyes boring into him with such malice.

“I might suggest you don’t stray too far, lest you make us feel you are escaping. It would be a shame to have to kill you, a waste of knowledge and talent. If you are careful, you should come to no real harm.”

"Hmmmm? Oh, yes yes, that'll be fine, I'm sure. Carry on! Now, what was it I was rummaging about for again? Bother..."

He was saved from further searching as the pouch fell, inexplicably, right in front of his nose. It must have been flung upwards during the table-smashing party, and caught on a nail or some such, not that he would recall that. "Oh! Oh my! Yes, this will do nicely!"

Again, the same rolling procedure commenced, puckering his lips and scooping tobacco into the paper, then pressing the paper around the tobacco with his upper lip and gums, and sealing it with his tongue. All the while, his swollen, red eye screamed "NOOOOOO, NOOOOO!!!!" Unfortunately, it and the brain weren't really on speaking terms, unlike the nicotine. And so, the question was put once more, blithely, and tempered neither by forethought nor by painful recollection.

"I say, I hate to butt in, but does one of you girls have a light?"

Saku
Outsider

Post by Saku » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Saku’s face was impassive as she thought, bearing no such twitch or sign of consideration, the only change being that her eyes flicked to a different focus, staring through Eve rather than at her. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to do our own research in the house. I have heard that he relies on a multitude of traps to defend himself but getting the blueprints is certainly a feasible option.”

Her mind raced along lines of enquiry, how would they procure something as vital and probably secret as the blueprints, would he have every copy? Even if they did have them, what’s to say the house hadn’t changed since then and if it was booby trapped, could they get past them or would they have to dismantle them? She wasn’t all too good with technology; she would only end up with a thousand arrows in her spine or being decapitated by some rust old blade. Not a pleasant thought at the best of times.

“Perhaps we should take two alleys of investigation, making sure to cover our backs. Perhaps get some information, he must have servants of some kind, we could perhaps find their door. You might pass as a scullery maid, if you dress yourself down and keep your eyes on the floor.” Not even a flicker of a smile crossed her face, impassive as ever.

She didn’t break her gaze until she heard Abmesh pipe up from somewhere to her right, only then did the violet orbs turn and focus their eerie light on his small form. “Perhaps if it will stop you wandering around too much I might be able to procure one.” She cast her eyes around to her bag, and moved over, slipping her hand into a side pocket and withdrawing her matches and another pouch that lay beside them.

Deftly, her hands rolled her own cigarette, longer and thinner than the usual kind, the tobacco leaf darker than was normal. She moved over to Abmesh, lighting her own as she walked before flourishing the flame to him, gripped in her thin, dark fingers between her claws. “Here.”

Xandras
Outsider

Post by Xandras » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 am

At Abmesh’s request for a light, Eve grinned and produced a sphere of illumination in her hand. “A light you say?” After that she dispersed the spell, resisting the urge to joke further. Her tast in bad puns struck yet again.

Eve nodded at the input from Saku. She knew that she was the best choice for blending in, and while she did so Saku could gather the other information they needed. “Alright, I’ll sneak in that way. You dig around for more information, and meet up with me in three days.”

Eve looked back over at Abmesh and paused for a moment. This one could still be an issue. “You better take him with you, somehow I doubt he could pass as a maid.”

Abmesh Gwaelei
Citizen

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:22 am

“Perhaps if it will stop you wandering around too much I might be able to procure one.”

"Now, why would I wander off when I'm in the company of such a delightful lady?"

“You better take him with you, somehow I doubt he could pass as a maid.”

Abmesh gave this a thought as he puffed his cigarette into life, and chuckled. "Nay, I'm far too over-qualified for that. I'll be the head of the house instead. Now, where did I..."

Abmesh rolled over to where he thought he had left something, then forgot what he was looking for, and swiveled around to face the two once more. "Did I hear someone say they needed a blueprint for this place? I've got some gnomish friends that have designed many of the larger buildings in Marn and the surrounding area."

Saku
Outsider

Post by Saku » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Saku rose, dragging at her own long and thin cigarette, glancing down at Abmesh. “I think you may change your mind soon enough, don’t worry.” She gave the smallest smile before turning her attention back to Eve. “Yes, I think it would be preferable if I take him, then at least he shall not encumber you, nor remain out of our sight.” Saku frowned, thinking of the journey to the town, she would need to be fleet of foot to keep up with any animal drawn transport. No creature would be her beast of burden, no animal would bear her. She would have to travel only on her own weight.

Her head snapped back around to Abmesh, staring in shock as he mentioned his friends. “Where? Where are they?” She glanced back to Eve, her eyes portraying both a measure of excitement and apprehension. Could they trust Abmesh or his friends and did they have time for a detour? Would they even have been the ones to design this house?

It all seemed to be very neat and showed a lot of good luck, something which she did not usually have the fortune to carry. Saku drew back from the pair, lowering her eyes to the floor and siting on the edge of a wooden table. Her long white hair tumbled around her face, the jangling of silver echoed around the quiet room. “Eve, do you stay the night or are you residing elsewhere?” She asked cautiously, her voice low and quiet in the large room.

Xandras
Outsider

Post by Xandras » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:03 pm

At Abmesh's mention of the Blueprints, Eve grinned. This could work out after all. If miss creepy and toad guy were this good at things then she was in luck. "great, your becoming more useful by the moment."

Saku's question startled Eve for a moment. It's not that it was that unususal, simply that it was what she herself had been thinking. Not wanting to lose her cool just yet, she said "Well, I was planning to spend the night here, as long as there arn't too many bugs. The Inn is an expense that can add up over time."

Abmesh Gwaelei
Citizen

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Abmesh looked up at Eve cheerfully. "Oh, I think I've cleared most of the bugs by now. And I'll be sawing logs soon myself, methinks."

He let out an overly dramatic yawn, and started looking about with slumberous intent for a bit of fabric or hay. Outside, the wind still raved like a solemn and persistent lunatic, occasionally peaking into a wail as though to drive home a point. It was thoroughly distracting for a wanderlust soul like Abmesh, and he kept looking irritably around at the creaking walls, willing them to open up so that the wind could finish its bloody sentence and get on with it.

Saku
Outsider

Post by Saku » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:06 pm

"There are probably fewer bugs here than there are at the inns. At least you won't need to worry about bed bugs." Saku raised her head, casting it back to her eyes examined the ceiling. Sitting on the edge of the table, she rested her hands behind her, propping herself backward so she could look up, as if there were some small object of fascination above her. She soon found that there wasn't.

That didn't deter her, indeed, she didn't move until a weight made the table creak and the huge cat made his way onto her lap, covering all of her knees easily and still lounging over onto the table, at over 2 foot long he was difficult to accomodate. He purred heavily as she ran her long claws through his fur, finding those places most itchy and relieving them swiftly.

Cocking his head to one side, the pair of them observed the other two, for one moment two sets of eyes being used by one mind, they could both understand the other's point of view, quite literally. Huge paws paddled Saku's leg, only the leather stopping him tearing her soft dark skin. An eerie appearance, both of the pairs of eyes blinked at the same time, even the same speed but it lasted only for a few moments before Saku released and the cat once more half closed his eyes and lay his head down.

Xandras
Outsider

Post by Xandras » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Eve was more than a little happy to hear anything small and crawling was nowhere to be found. Her fears could rest at ease for the moment. "That's good to hear." she said, although privatly the thought of eating bugs, even as a toad, made her shudder.

Settling down on a bare patch of floor, not seeming to mind the lack of soft surfaces, Eve drew her cloak around herself as a simple blanket. "In that case, we start tomorrow morning, bright and early." And with that she settled in to sleep.

Abmesh Gwaelei
Citizen

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Eve's sudden disposal to rest, though devoid of the usual signs of enervation, nevertheless elicited another gaping yawn from Abmesh, and he lost no time in following the young girl's example by tucking himself under the only piece of furniture in the eerie building that remained unsullied by their previous ravagings for firewood. That table also happened to have one dark-skinned, venomous woman perched on it, but her tinkling hair absolved her of all wrongdoing in Abmesh's eyes. Besides, he didn't relish the thought of being closer to this new girl than necessary. She obviously didn't respect her elders much...

The table creaked above him as he settled the back of his head into one leg, and he blinked and peered at it for a moment before relaxing. Saku seems light enough on her feet, shouldn't be a problem.

That night, his dreams sprouted in his fertile mind ghoulish and macabre mutations of his sunny world, and caused him to shudder, and his brow to sweat, as he tossed and turned as much as a head is capable of tossing and turning.

Saku
Outsider

Post by Saku » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:41 pm

The others seemed to require immediate rest but Saku felt in no mood for respite. She sat, unmoving for a long time, not even the bells in her hair making a noise, the only movement was of the cat who arose and leapt off the table lightly. Saku’s eyes were closed, absolutely still, her breathing could barely be seen but more than that, she had the look of the living dead. Her body was surviving on it’s own without her mind.

Her mind, was riding behind that of her cat as he prowled across the floor, over to the window he had entered by and scrambled in using huge black claws to dig into the stone and pull himself up. He perched on the high sill, looking out on the city outskirts before making a leap and easily escaping the building into the dark streets outside.

Saku’s mind returned before the cat had finished hunting, a long time before and she found herself disorientated and wondering why her paws were such an odd shape. That was the problem when you let instincts control, sometimes they followed you back. She resisted the urge to preen herself and hooked her legs onto the table, lying back and staring at the darkening ceiling.

She lay for perhaps another hour, when light was first beginning to touch the dark sky before closing her eyes and falling into the pit of her sleep. A darkness like a shroud cloaked her as tormenting hands tore at her in her sleep, but she didn’t make the slightest of sounds. The hands of her victims, the only touch she received for the most part, was something she had to bear for her ‘crimes’.

(OOC: Hey Joe! Got your internet up and running again? How did the project go?)

Abmesh Gwaelei
Citizen

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:04 am

Abmesh reached his waking moment gratefully, having been driven to it by surreal phantasms, brought on by the gods knew what. In fact, from that first night together, until the night of his eventual passing, the absent-minded fellow never once stopped to consider the fact that he had rarely suffered from nightmares, prior to his acquaintance, and eventual friendship, with the dire fae, Saku Imorien.

The half-elven mistress of darkness shifted softly above him, and his big, bulging eyes rolled slowly upward to peer at the table's boards. Dust sprinkled into his eyes, and his eyelids fluttered irritably. "Drat-fnabbit..."

Another thing that he would never come to consider was that his usual impossibly good luck seemed to suffer a polar reversal under Saku's proximity. Thinking no more of it, he waddled, chin to jaw, out from under the table, yawned loudly, and performed a series of ridiculous facial contortions in a disembodied head's reasonable facsimile of morning stretches. It was then that he noticed something odd. The cheeky one from the previous night was no longer with them. Without turning about to look at Saku, without even knowing whether or not the melodiously haired object of his mellow affections was awake, he spoke to her.

"Errrm... Where's the whelp?"

Saku
Outsider

Post by Saku » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:53 am

Saku shifted uneasily on the tabletop, the great spur on the back of her leg foot gouging a deep slash into the table as she moved her slender leg, stretching it out that it dangled from the end her bare foot swaying dangerously, her four toes armed with horrifically sharp claws which tensed and relaxed as she continued through the fabled realms of sleep, dreams brushing over her like water over the prow of a boat.

Her sleep was unusually heavy, but it took nothing more than the sound of Abmesh’s voice to wake her, drawing her out of her rest in a moment of unconscious defence, she was sitting up hand closing on her dagger belt before the memory loss of sleep faded from her and the events of the last night occurred to her. “She slipped out close to dawn, Levinx...” She waved her black hand absentmindedly toward the massive, metre tall cat who had occupied a shelf at the other side of the factory, lounging as only a cat could. “...Levinx followed her for some way but it seems he got... distracted.” She threw the cat a glance, knowing his preference for small game, since she did not allow him to hunt children. That caused bad feeling.

Violet orbs darted to Abmesh’s face well below her own, eyes scanning him as though it were a test of reality, as if her memories might be unreal though there was evidence to the contrary. Her dark mouth opened to speak, revealing the sharp, white teeth for a moment before her mind was changed and she slipped into silence, drawing up her perilously sharp foot from it’s dangling position over the table edge, realising that poor luck might cause her to gouge out the eye of her new found and unusual companion.