Wings

Factories along the northern quarter of the city for the production of goods like cloth, brewed ale, and construction materials. An old water-wheel provides power for half the city.
Lylessa Uluki
Citizen
Name: Uluki
Race: Duskling - Fae

Wings

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:50 am

((This thread takes place at approximately the same time as "An Unpleasant Gathering": viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1445))

((NPC Post))

Dash had spent the day with Kira, going about her tasks with the silent girl shuffling behind her like an obedient dog who nonetheless expects a kick at any moment. The initial kinship she felt with Kira had not gone away; if anything, it had gotten stronger. Dash didn’t quite understand why. The girl looked like her and seemed to have some connection to Dash’s father, though Dash had felt too sleepy and feverish at the time to pay attention to exactly what. Still, the bond between them seemed deeper, like Kira was a long-lost family member.

She’d hoped to talk the matter over with Kaydee— another person she’d immediately felt close to, though in a completely different way. Kaydee was a kindred spirit, whereas Kira was more like a kindred… flesh, or something. Dash didn’t really understand it, and that’s why she had hoped to discuss it with Kaydee, but had no luck in finding her. Obviously the other girl was somewhere around, but apparently Dash just kept missing her, so eventually she abandoned her search, intending to catch up with Kaydee later instead.

In the meantime, she found a quiet corner out of the way of everyone else, and she sat with Kira, sharing a comfortable rapport even without words. Dash worked on her knitting— booties for Becky’s new baby, who through gossip around the fort Dash had learned had been born. Although there had been some sort of complication no one seemed to know the details of, both mother and child were now doing well. It was implied that Dash’s mother had some hand in it, and Dash was proud of her.

Kira didn’t talk at all, but Dash had gotten used to that. At first they sat in companionable silence with Dash knitting and Kira playing with Martin as much as her limited mobility allowed. In time, though, Dash realized that Kira liked to listen, and so she told her about her life, her family, her friends. Nothing bad, though. No sad or painful memories, not like she’d shared with Kaydee. Somehow Dash felt compelled to protect Kira from her own pain, as well to try to distract the girl from what she had suffered. Gradually Kira started smiling more and more as she listened, though Dash couldn’t even imagine what she was thinking.

As the afternoon wore on, Dash gradually started to feel sicker and sicker. Much as she enjoyed Kira’s company, it got harder to fight off her nausea and tiredness. It wasn’t long before her hands were hurting too badly for her to knit, and she had to set it aside. Awhile later, it was too much even to stay awake, and with apologies to Kira, she lay on the floor, closed her eyes for an instant, and was asleep before she was even aware of it.

Kira sat still for a few minutes, deeply concerned but unsure what to do, and with no idea why the winged girl had gotten sick and fallen asleep again. Should she take the baby and go find someone to help? But that would mean leaving Dash alone, and someone might hurt her while she slept. No, Kira needed to stay. She slid her hands under Dash’s shoulders and lifted her so her head was resting in Kira’s lap, not on the floor. The motion was clumsy and graceless, and Dash stirred but didn’t wake. Her face creased deeply with worry, Kira stroked Dash’s cheeks and hair gently with her almost useless fingers, trying as best she could to provide comfort. She hoped the winged girl would be alright…
Last edited by Lylessa Uluki on Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:59 pm

((NPC Post))

That was where Zee found them, with Dash’s head still in Kira’s lap. “What’s going on? Why is she sleeping again?”

Kira would have been unable to answer that question even if she could speak, so she simply shrugged. The movement seemed to rouse Dash a little, and she half-opened her eyes and muttered something unintelligible.

Zee lifted her sister as though Dash weighed nothing, and went to find their parents. She hadn’t gone very far when Dash came around once and for all.

“Zee, put me down!”

“I’m taking you to Mama and Papa. You fell asleep again.”

“I know I fell asleep. But don’t tell them.”

“Why not?” Zee was not very secretive by nature, and the concept of holding back information always seemed to puzzle her.

“Because…”

Dash had to bite back the words, I’m dying and there’s nothing they can do about it. That wasn’t a burden her sister should have to bear, any more than her parents should. Her sister would get scared for her, and might fear for her own life too. No, she couldn’t tell her that.

“Because I’m fine now.” Then, to change the subject, “What did you come find me for?”

Zee was, as always, easy to distract. “Mama and Papa are going out. Papa’s friend is sick and they’re going to help him. They want to say goodnight to us before they go in case they get back late. Also, we’re supposed to bring Martin to Rosemary, because she’s going to watch him so we can have our evening free. Mama said we should make sure Kaydee is alright, because she hasn’t gotten a chance to talk to her all day, and she doesn’t want her to think we forgot about her.”

Dash nodded. “Alright. Let’s go find Mama and Papa.” She went back and scooped Martin up, then beckoned Kira. “You too. I’m sure they want to tell you goodnight as well.”

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Re: Wings

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:25 pm

((NPC Post))

After Uluki and Rollick left, Dash had asked one of the soldiers— Sigvard, the first of them she came across— to carry Kira back upstairs. He seemed puzzled by the girl’s condition given all the healing that seemed to be flying back and forth at this place. “Couldn’t somebody do something for her?” he had asked rather vaguely. Not wanting to get into the details of Kira’s sufferings, Dash merely said yes, but that the time wasn’t right yet, and Sigvard accepted this without further questions, whether or not the answer truly satisfied him. Dash was grateful that he didn’t push the issue. Kira, meanwhile, seemed to be getting more used to being carried up and down the stairs, and while there was some residual anxiety on her face, it clearly wasn’t as terrifying for her as the first time.

Back in their room Dash started sketching, trying to draw Kira and Zee as they sat across from her, but her hands weren’t as nimble as they were supposed to be, and she kept frowning at her work, which was not up to her usual standard.

“Do you think Mama and Papa will be alright?” Zee asked.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t they?” Dash replied absently, rubbing at the lines of her sister’s cheek captured so imperfectly on the paper.

“They seemed worried. Lord Panterras won’t hurt them, will he?”

Kira made a strangled little gasping noise, the only sound they’d ever heard from her. Her breath came heavily, as though impeded by a tightening in her chest, and her eyes filled with tears.

Dash and Zee looked over at her in surprise. The pencil rolled out of Dash’s hand, but she didn’t seem to feel it or to notice. “What’s wrong? Are you hurt? Are you sick?” Dash asked helplessly, hoping Kira would nod or give some indication when Dash got to the correct choice, but the girl shook her head.

Kira was filled with more panic than she had ever thought her body could hold. They were going to see her father! They must be going to negotiate, and there was only one thing they had to offer. Kira knew they had three things Panterras really wanted, and only three: Uluki and the baby, for their magical properties… and Kira. Kira couldn’t imagine Rollick trading his wife or child; clearly he loved them too much. That left only one thing.

Why were they doing this? Were they scared of what Panterras would do? Didn’t they know how few cards her father was actually holding? Or… maybe she had displeased them somehow. She would have done everything they wanted. She would have gone along with anything, no matter how much it hurt. But she hadn’t, she realized. She had said no when Uluki wanted to do that magic thing. They had obviously decided she was uncooperative, and they would have no further use for her. And now she would have to go back to her father, who didn’t ask before he hurt her.

Kira berated herself harshly in her mind. She had been so foolish and timid. She should have just gone along with it. Plus she should have given them the Scrying focus right away instead of hiding it. She’d planned to use it as insurance for later, leverage if she got into a tight spot, but now she had missed her chance to prove she was worthwhile. She was surprised they hadn’t taken her with them, but maybe the wanted to solidify the deal before they gave her back. Kira knew she had only had one chance, and it was used up now. Her father would watch her more carefully after this, and she wouldn’t survive many more experiments anyway. She’d had this one chance, and she’d lost it. Now she was going to die, painfully, and she was terrified.

Tears streamed down Kira’s face, and she gasped with every laboured breath. Dash and Zee looked at her in confusion and alarm. Neither of them could imagine how they had triggered such a response, and exchanging a look, it seemed neither of them knew how to fix it.

Not even knowing exactly what was wrong, Dash decided to go for something generic. “It’s going to be alright,” she said reassuringly, and laid a hand on Kira’s. “Ouch! Oh gods!”

Dash felt like she had been burned and stabbed at the same time. Kira’s eyes widened with dismay, unsure what she had done to cause such a reaction, and her tears came faster.

The pain in Dash’s hand was agonizing, but she was more concerned about Kira at the moment. The girl seemed close to a breakdown. “It’s going to be alright,” she repeated, wrapping her arms around Kira, enfolding her in a hug, but making sure their hands didn’t touch again. “Whatever you’re scared of, you don’t have to be.”

But now, after what had just happened with Dash, Kira had yet another thing to fear.
"When you feel like you can't go on, love heals.
Hold onto love, and it will lead you home. Love heals." -Rent

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:32 am

After returning to the compound, Kaydee stashed her recent purchases in a safe place, and then joined work on the fortifications. She didn’t want anyone to think she wasn’t doing her fair share. Unfortunately, despite her genuine eagerness to help, digging soon proved too much for her frail, undernourished body. Tears filled Kaydee’s eyes as she struggled to drive the spade into hard ground. Snyde had been right. She was weak and stupid, unfit for anything except lying on her back. And it wouldn’t take long for everyone here to realize that. Convinced that she would be thrown out as soon as her uselessness was discovered, Kaydee pushed around clumps of dirt with her shovel, trying desperately to appear as if she was accomplishing something. Maybe she could fool them for just one more day...she’d be so grateful for just one more day of being around people who were kind to her.

When the warrior known as Sigvard approached her, Kaydee bit her lip, bracing herself for his condemnation. But he only smiled at her. Then, after giving Kaydee a much-needed drink of water from his flask, he took her shovel, and sent her off to work on shaping the loose dirt into ramps and mounds. Kaydee felt so happy to be assigned a task she could actually accomplish that Martha almost needed to drag her away from it when the time came to break for lunch.

It was while eating lunch that Kaydee heard about the new refugees, particularly the poor crippled girl who so resembled Dash. That piqued Kaydee’s curiosity. She certainly couldn’t claim to know every person who lived in Marn’s shanty town, but she felt sure that she’d remember someone so distinctive. Where had this new girl come from? Did it mean anything that she looked like Dash?

Then it was back to patting down dirt for the rest of the afternoon. When evening finally began to darken the sky, Kaydee stepped back to admire her work. Despite being filthy, sweaty and aching, she still experienced an emotion stronger than any discomfort. She’d done some thing good, something to help herself and others. For the first time in so long, Kaydee felt pride.

Buoyed by that good emotion, Kaydee hurried inside, excited that she finally had a chance to hand out her gifts. But first, she wanted to get cleaned up. So, it was only after she’d done her best to scrub the dirt from herself and her dress that she retrieved her small bag -- filled with four cookies and a metal charm -- and went in search of her new friends. Learning that Uluki and Rollick had already left on a personal errand caused Kaydee a moment of disappointment. And Julen seemed to be busy doing something with Aorle. But that still left two of the people she wanted to see. Dash and Zee were bound to be somewhere around the compound.

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:27 am

((NPC Post))

There was a knock on the door, and Zee opened it in spite of the strange situation going on in the room. “It’s Kaydee!” she called out to the world in general. Then, directing her attention back to the new arrival, “Hi Kaydee!”

Dash was relieved. Her parents wouldn’t be back yet, and she wasn’t sure she could deal with talking to people she didn’t know very well, not when her thoughts were all muddled. Her greeting was less perky than her sister’s, but no less warm. “Hello, Kaydee. Come on in.” That was easier than trying to come to the door, given Dash was still entangled in a hug with Kira. “I’m really glad to see you…” Dash was embarrassed by how quavering her voice sounded. “I wanted us to get a chance to talk. Maybe we could go somewhere?” She would have to find some nice way of dislodging Kira first, of course, but since it was that situation she wanted to discuss with Kaydee, it would need to be private. “This is Kira, by the way.”

“She’s our godsister!” Zee said, bouncing a little on her heels.

“Is there even such a thing as godsisters?” Dash asked, sounding a little skeptical.

“I don’t know.” Zee’s enthusiasm wasn’t dampened in the slightest. “She’s our father’s goddaughter, so she must be our godsister. She can’t talk, but she’s fun anyway. We like her.” Kira couldn’t help but smile at that even as she clung to Dash as though for dear life, and then she smiled again at Kaydee, this time more shyly.

Dash nodded, but didn’t add to her sister’s description of Kira. It was too hard to know what to say.

“Mama and Papa left a message for you,” Zee informed Kaydee. “They didn’t get a chance to talk to you before they left, but they wanted to make sure you were doing alright, and they haven’t forgotten you. They wanted us to tell you that.”

“Zee, do you think you could carry Kira by yourself if you needed to?” Dash asked.

“Sure I could. I told you that before, only you didn’t listen to me, and you went and got Sigvard instead because you didn’t think I could do it, only I could, because I’d just carried you and you weren’t heavy at all, but you weren’t paying attention when I told you…”

Dash knew one of her sister’s sulks coming on when she saw one, so she decided to head it off at the pass. “I’m sorry, I should have listened.” She paused for a moment to look contrite before continuing, “Kira, can you stay with Zee for awhile? She’ll hug you too, just like I am, and she can take you downstairs if you want.” Kira nodded in response. “I need to talk to Kaydee for a few minutes, alright? We’ll come back soon.”

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Zee’s enthusiastic greeting drew a smile from Kaydee. Snyde always behaved as if her presence annoyed him, and even most of her customers reacted to her arrival with irritation and impatience. It felt nice to receive a wholehearted welcome. However, when Kaydee stepped into the room and saw Dash hugging a girl who could only be Kira, her sense of ease faded a little. Not that she perceived anything bad about Kira. It was just so strange to look at Dash side-by-side with a girl who could nearly be her twin, except for the lack of wings. And clearly, Dash felt a bit disturbed by the situation too, because her voice wavered when she spoke.

Kaydee nodded in response to Dash’s request that they go somewhere and talk. She doubted that she’d be able to offer her friend any words of great wisdom, but she’d certainly be happy to listen. Then, after Dash introduced her, Kaydee gave Kira a shy wave. “Hi. It’s nice to meet you.”

Although Zee was clearly trying to offer an explanation, everything she said about Kira being Rollick’s goddaughter only served to confuse Kaydee even further. What was a goddaughter? Was Kira the child of Rollick and some god he’d had sex with before meeting Uluki? If so, that would explain her resemblance to Dash...except it wouldn’t, because Dash wasn’t biologically related to Rollick. Shaking her head, Kaydee resolved to ask Dash for more information, once they were alone.

“I’m doing fine,” Kaydee assured, when Zee relayed her parents’ message. Yes, she realized with a mild jolt of surprise. I really am doing fine. For once, that’s not just a lie I tell myself in order to keep going. “It’s nice of them to care. I hope everything is alright with them.”

After Dash had extracted herself from Kira's embrace, allowing Zee to take her place, Kaydee judged that a good moment had come. Eagerly, she reached into her small bag of purchases. But, when she did so, a horrible truth hit her. She only had four cookies. She hadn’t known about Kira, so she hadn’t gotten anything for her. But she couldn’t just give Zee and Dash their presents without giving anything to Kira. She’d screwed up again. Why did everything she attempt always go so horribly wrong? For a moment, Kaydee nearly fled from the room, intending to hurl her cookies into the same ditch where she’d spent the day working. Then, an idea came to her. She would give Rollick and Uluki just one cookie. They could share it -- they seemed to like sharing. Maybe they’d even think it was romantic. Reassured by this new plan, Kaydee pulled out three cookies and distributed them, taking extra care when placing one in Kira’s crippled hands.

“Julen told me about cookies. Uluki said she’d never tasted one, but Julen said they were really good. So I got some. I hope I picked the right kind, there were lots of choices. These have raisins and nuts in them.”

Hopeful, but also a little nervous, Kaydee waited to see how her presents would be received.
Last edited by Falcon Bertille on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:46 pm

((NPC Post))

Dash smiled, gladly accepting the cookie from Kaydee. “We’ve never had one before, just like our mother. I don’t think they had them where my family used to live, and before that…” She realized she had been about to refer to something Kaydee knew about, but that she’d tried to protect Kira from. “…Well, they didn’t have cookies there either.” Truth be told, Dash also didn’t know what raisins were; she knew about grapes, but fresh produce of all kinds had been rare in their former home, so she had seldom eaten them, let alone known what they could be used to make.

Zee took an enthusiastic bite and grinned. “These taste great!” Kira nibbled hers more experimentally, but smiled once she saw how good it was. She had no other way to convey her pleasure, but she made sure Kaydee could see her happy expression. Dash noticed that Kira seemed perhaps a bit more relaxed now, and hoped it wasn’t just wishful thinking on her own part.

Dash was about to put the cookie in her mouth, but stopped. “You didn’t get one for yourself, though. Don’t you want some too?” Without waiting for a reply, Dash broke the cookie in half, putting one part straight in her mouth, then offering the other back. “These are really good, Kaydee. You should try it too, so we can all eat them together.” Dash didn’t mean to imply Kaydee didn’t know what cookies tasted like— the other girl was far more worldly and had surely eaten a thousand cookies over the course of her life— but obviously she hadn’t tried these cookies, and they were delicious.

“Thanks, Kaydee,” Zee said, licking crumbs from her hands and mouth.

“Yes, thank you, this was… the cookies are great, and it was nice of you to share them with us.” Dash gave her friend a grateful smile.

Not wanting to be rude but sensing that this was a good opportunity to make their exit for awhile, Dash caught Kaydee’s eye, then moved toward the door to seek out a private corner where they could talk.

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Happiness welled up in Kaydee as she watched Kira, Zee and Dash enjoy their cookies. Part of her elation was relief that she’d accomplished her goal without making any horrible blunders. Part of it was an increased sense of security -- she’d done something nice for them, so now they would like her and let her stay. And part of it was just the honest delight of bringing pleasure to people she cared about. “I’m so glad that you like them. Julen said they would be good.”

When Dash tried to share with her, Kaydee hesitated. Did Dash really want to give up half of the cookie? Was it a trick? Sometimes Snyde tested the newer girls by pretending that he was offering them a pretty trinket. If they reached out to take it, he mocked them for their stupidity, mocked them for their hope. If they just shook their heads and stared at the ground, he knew they were his.

No, Kaydee chided herself. Dash is my friend. She isn’t like Snyde. I have to learn that. Not all the world is like Snyde. It made me happy to give them the cookies. Why shouldn’t it make her happy to share hers with me?

“Thank you,” Kaydee murmured, accepting half of Dash’s cookie. Cautiously, she bit off the very tip of it. Julen had been right! This was the best thing she’d ever tasted. Part of her wanted to wolf it down, but Kaydee forced herself to take tiny bites, drawing out the experience. She was still nibbling along the edges when Dash cast a meaningful glance at the room’s door. Nodding, Kaydee moved to follow her in search of a more private location for their talk.

As soon as they were alone, Kaydee struggled for something to say. Conversation wasn’t exactly her strong point. She wanted Dash to know that she was ready to listen, but she wasn’t sure how to convey her willingness. Obviously, Dash needed to talk about the situation with Kira, but Kaydee didn’t know enough about that to really start the dialogue. Finally, she settled on a rather vague question, which she hoped would give Dash a chance to talk about whatever was troubling her. “Weird, huh?”

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:02 pm

((NPC Post))

For a moment, Dash was worried when Kaydee seemed reluctant to take the half-cookie. Did she think Dash was being rude? It certainly wasn’t intended that way. After a moment, though, Kaydee took the offered piece, and Dash was relieved. Dash wasn’t used to having friends her own age… or at least the age she appeared to be… and she liked Kaydee a lot, so she didn’t want to ruin things.

Dash nodded to agree with the impression Kaydee voiced once they finally had a chance to speak alone. “It’s very weird. It’s not just that she looks like me. That could just be a coincidence. It feels like I’m connected to her somehow. I know that’s stupid. I don’t even know her. I’ve never even heard her speak. It’s just… it’s like she used to be related to me or something. But that’s not possible. No one was ever related to me. I was made, not born. I don’t have any blood relatives, just adopted ones. Even Zee isn’t my blood, she was just made at the same time. There’s no way Kira could be.”

She shrugged helplessly. “So that’s weird, and I don’t know how to explain it. I can’t talk to her like I talk to you, though. I’m afraid if I ever tell her the whole truth about me, it’ll hurt her more. On the one hand it’s like we’re connected, and on the other hand I feel like I have to protect her from… from me. From my past. Not because she asked me to, though. Because… oh, I don’t know, it doesn’t even make any sense.” Still, she felt better talking about it, and because it felt so good the words kept tumbling out, words she had not intended to share even with Kaydee.

“There’s something else, too. Something I didn’t tell anybody about. There’s something wrong with me. My head and my stomach hurt, and my hands don’t work right, and it keeps getting worse. Just in the last few minutes, my shoulder has started hurting too, and I can’t move my arm very well. It’s happening really fast and I’m afraid… people who are like me, people made to be magical soldiers, we wear out. We were supposed to be good at fighting, but they never completely worked out how to make us, and we all have things wrong with us too. Health things. We don’t survive very long, and it’s not something that can be healed. So I’m afraid… I’m afraid I’m dying.”

Once the words were spoken, she wished she could take them back. Suddenly she wanted to protect Kaydee just like she had protected Kira. She shouldn’t have said that, not the part about dying. She shouldn’t have burdened Kaydee with that knowledge. Too late now, unfortunately. It was said.

“Please don’t tell anyone!”

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:43 am

As Dash voiced her confusion about Kira, Kaydee wished that she could think of something remotely helpful to say. She felt glad that Dash considered her worthy of such confidences, but really, wouldn’t it be better if Dash talked with Aorle, or Julen, or Rollick? They were wise men, men who had seen more of the world than Kaydee could even imagine. Surely they were in a better position to impart wisdom. All Kaydee had to offer were wild guesses.

“Maybe it’s not a coincidence that she looks like you,” Kaydee suggested, struggling to force her shapeless thoughts into a coherent idea. “She’s connected to Rollick. You’re connected to Rollick. Maybe it all fits together somehow.”

Then, another possibility popped into Kaydee’s head. She almost hated to mention it, since she knew the subject was a sensitive one for Dash, but their friendship had been built on honesty. No point in trying to shelter each other now. “Do you think it’s possible that maybe the General made others before you? Ones that he never told you about? Maybe he made Kira, but she didn’t turn out very well, so he abandoned her. And maybe Rollick found her and adopted her, like he adopted you. Only...I suppose she must have gotten lost at some point, since she’s just turned up again now. Do you think that might be it?” Kaydee had no idea if what she’d just suggested was likely or not. But saying it felt better than saying nothing at all.

Concern turned to alarm when Dash confessed her rapidly failing health. Dash couldn’t die! Not now, not when she’d escaped from such horrible beginnings and finally found happiness. It wasn’t fair. But then, if Kaydee had learned one thing while growing up in the shanty town, it was that life most definitely wasn’t fair. Children starved, while people like Snyde prospered. Kaydee had thought that coming here, where everyone was so good, might have allowed her entrance into a sort of paradise where justice always prevailed. But apparently tragedy visited everyone -- even saints.

Gently, Kaydee touched Dash’s arm. “I know about secrets. I know how important they are. So I promise not to say anything if you don’t want me to. But shouldn’t you tell Uluki? Maybe she can fix you. After Snyde...after he hurt me and Julen, we were dying. But she healed us. Maybe she could heal you? Or maybe the angel will come again. You helped her, so she owes you, right? Angels don’t let good people just die...do they?” The chance of losing her friend made Kaydee’s eyes fill with tears.

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:02 am

((NPC Post))

Dash was deeply touched that she meant enough to Kaydee that her friend would cry for her. The tears in Kaydee’s eyes made Dash feel cared-for and sad all at the same time. She had no idea how to express that, so she just talked about the practical side of things.

“You’re right about the General. He had his scientists make a lot of soldiers. Mostly they died; only a handful of us actually survived the process of being created. You can’t make somebody with wings, or really strong like my sister, and get it right on the first try. Maybe Kira didn’t die like the others, but they couldn’t use her, so they gave her to Lord Panterras to be his daughter.” Dash did feel little doubtful on that point. She and Zee had to fight to escape. They had to kill to get away. The General didn’t just give his soldiers to people. Even one he considered broken would probably have been killed, not sent off to a family where she might spill secrets about the entire project. But maybe Lord Panterras had been specially trusted for some reason, or maybe he’d traded something valuable. It was impossible to say.

She realized she should clarify one aspect of the story. “Kira never lived with my father. She was his friend’s daughter. Lord Panterras, that was his friend. Rollick was the godfather to Kira. That means that he was their friend, a friend of the whole family, and he was going to help look after her and protect her even though he never lived with them, and if Kira’s parents died, she would go live at Rollick’s house he would take care of her. That’s what a godfather does.”

“Just in case you didn’t know,” she added a little apologetically. “I didn’t till I lived with Rollick and Uluki. It’s not like the General picked out godparents for us, and I doubt Snyde did either for you. So I just thought… maybe you hadn’t heard of it before, just like I hadn’t.”

“Anyway, my father couldn’t really do that, couldn’t do all the godfather things, because he got separated from their family— I don’t really understand how, you’d have to ask him or my mother— and he thought Kira was dead. He didn’t get to be part of her life for very long. He remembers her from when she was a child, though.”

That was another issue, she realized, as half-remembered words came back, words from while they were talking and she felt sick, but also from before, before he’d learned Kira was still alive. “He remembers her from when she was a baby. I was never a baby. When I woke up, I was the age I am now. I was never anyone’s infant. I don’t have a biological mother or father. They used bits of other people to make us, so…”

And suddenly everything made sense. Kaydee’s words had put her on the right track, and Dash abruptly realized not only her relationship to Kira, but also what was wrong with her own body.

She smiled with relief, a strange reaction for one who so recently was seriously pondering the fact she might not survive. “Kaydee, I don’t think I’m dying after all. I know what’s happening. You helped me think of it.”

She paused for breath, and to collect her thoughts into a logical order. “I think that the person who they used to make me was Kira. I think her father let them do it… or maybe they tricked him, or stole her, I don’t know. But however it happened, I think that’s why I felt connected to Kira. Not because I’m related to her in any way like normal people are related to each other, but because part of me used to be her. Like twins, only after we were born instead of before.”

Dash used the twins metaphor because it sounded more sane than the actual truth, but she knew it wasn’t exactly right. Twins never shared a personality or a consciousness, no matter how close they were or how similar they looked. They were each equally people in their own right. There was not such an equality between Dash and Kira. Kira was born. Kira came first. Then Dash was taken from her. Did that mean that Kira was the one who was really a person, and Dash wasn’t? Was Dash really just an extension of someone else? She liked to think they were both people now. Dash believed in souls, and it was obvious she didn’t share her soul with Kira. They also didn’t share a mind, or experiences. Whatever part of her came from Kira realized they were connected… but Dash was separate, too. Dash was Dash now, and Kira was still Kira, and they could never be rejoined.

“I don’t think you can have half a soul. I think it sort of… grows back. Not the same as before, but you become whole again. Different, but a person, not just part of one. I think Kira’s soul replaced what was taken to make me, and the rest of me came from me, not from her. That’s why we’re two different people. Because we are, we’re different. I don’t think her thoughts or share her feelings. I think the wounds in our souls healed, scarred over, and we were separate, but we still have a bond…”

Which brought her to the other point. “And that’s what’s wrong with me. I’m sick and hurt because she is. Whatever they did to her, some of it is transferring over to me. I started feeling ill and my hands started hurting when she got here. I had the angel in me at first, so that protected me at the very beginning, but when I actually met Kira I started to feel sick, and then I felt better when Papa took her out of the room. Then later I felt bad again and fell asleep when we were sitting together, but I woke up when Zee picked me up and started to move me away from her. Just now my hand started to burn and ache when I touched her hand, and my shoulder started to hurt after I hugged her. That’s it, I’m sure of it! Whatever is wrong with her, I’m catching it like a disease… but only me, not the rest of you, because Kira and I used to be one person.”

Dash realized how that sounded. “It isn’t her fault, though. I don’t think she even knows it’s happening. It’s like when you’re sick and then someone else near you gets sick too; you didn’t do it on purpose, but you couldn’t help it. Kira never meant to hurt me. I’m sure of that. She’s worried about it, and sad. She doesn’t understand it any more than I did. But that means… it means I’m not dying, Kaydee! It means we can both get well!” She smiled, grateful for a reprieve from the death she had thought was imminent. She held out her arms for a hug, restraining herself from throwing them around Kaydee for fear of scaring her. “Thanks for helping me understand it!”

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:08 am

Kaydee beamed, pleased that she’d helped Dash. She didn’t completely understand all that her friend had said. To use one person to create another, to extract a part of their soul and give it to someone else -- it almost sounded impossible. But then, until a few days ago, Kaydee would have thought that building a winged soldier was impossible. Dash’s presence clearly proved that it wasn’t. And if Kaydee accepted Dash’s guess about the origin Dash shared with Kira, everything else did make a certain amount of sense.

But these thoughts only tumbled through Kaydee’s head in a rapid, half-formed way. What really mattered to her was that Dash wouldn’t die. When Dash held out her arms, Kaydee eagerly stepped into them, embracing her friend. “I’m so glad that you’re going to be okay! I guess all you need to do is keep away from Kira until Uluki can fix her. Then everything will be fine.”

Maybe the world was a little bit fair, after all. Maybe this place really did offer some shelter from cruelty and pain. Resting her cheek on Dash’s shoulder, Kaydee allowed the remaining tears to drain from her eyes and be absorbed into the fabric of Dash’s shirt.

“You were right. I didn’t understand what ‘godparent’ meant,” Kaydee confessed, slightly embarrassed by her foolishness. “I thought it meant that Kira was the child of Rollick and some god. But what you talked about sounds nicer than that. I wish my mother had gotten a godparent for me -- maybe then, I wouldn’t have ended up with Snyde. Kira is lucky to have found Rollick again. He’ll take good care of her. We’re all lucky, I guess.”

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:05 pm

((NPC Post))

Kaydee’s words brought an idea to Dash’s mind, a strange and spur of the moment one. “Maybe my parents could be your godparents too, even though your mother didn’t know them.” Dash had never heard mention of Kaydee’s father, although she presumably had one, so Dash didn’t bring him up. “Because your mother… she passed away, so if my parents were your godparents, you’d be living with us now anyway. And you already are, so… if they started being your godparents now, it would be like catching up. That way you’d be sure you won’t end up with someone like Snyde again.”

Dash wasn’t sure if it was possible to be too old to become somebody’s godchild, but she didn’t see how that could be the case. Rollick would still be Kira’s godfather when she was older. His role would change because she would someday live independently, maybe have a family of her own, but he would always be part of her life in some capacity. She would always be his goddaughter because he would still care about her, even when he and Uluki weren’t providing for her anymore. Dash didn’t see any reason Kaydee couldn’t become a goddaughter now if she wanted to, since if godparents had been picked when she was an infant, she would still have them.

“Your mother would still be your real mother, but then you could be part of our family too. If you wanted. I’m sure my parents would say yes if I asked them. You don’t have to decide right away, but you could think about it.”

Dash knew there was a possibility Kaydee would be offended by the idea, but she wanted to suggest it just in case.

“Anyway, we should probably go try to find my mother soon, and tell her what’s going on with me and Kira,” she added, giving Kaydee a potential escape from a conversation that might have become awkward for her.

Falcon Bertille
Citizen

Post by Falcon Bertille » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:52 am

Dash’s proposal startled Kaydee. When she’d bemoaned her mother’s failure to arrange for godparents, it was just an impulsive comment. She never meant to imply that Uluki and Rollick were somehow obliged to fill the role. They seemed very nice, and Kaydee liked being around them, but the thought of joining their family filled her with conflicting emotions. On one hand, she wished with all her heart that she’d had such loving parents while growing up. But, on the other hand, ‘growing up’ was a bridge that Kaydee felt like she’d burned behind her. She was sixteen now. The fact that she’d spent most of her life selling her body didn’t change her increasingly adult desires. And, with the yolk of Snyde’s domination lifted from her shoulders, the need for independence had started to bloom.

Clearly, it was different for Dash and Zee. They weren’t innocent, exactly -- no one could consider two girls created for the sole purpose of killing to be ‘innocent’. But in terms of years spent alive, they were very young. They wanted to be sheltered, to be mothered, to live in a world full of girlish delights. Kaydee didn’t blame them. It sounded nice. But she couldn’t simply erase her past, couldn’t regress to a state of childhood just because she’d never gotten to have it. And even if she could, she wasn’t entirely sure that she’d want to.

“Thanks,” Kaydee stammered. She didn’t want Dash to think she was being ungrateful. Dash’s family obviously meant a great deal to Dash, and Kaydee truly appreciated Dash’s willingness to include her. “I’m sure that would be great. It’s just that...everything is changing so fast. I think I need some time to adjust to the way things are now. Being here. Being free from Snyde. Maybe later, once stuff has settled in a bit...maybe I could think about it then.”

Hastily, Kaydee seized hold of the topic change that Dash had offered her. “You’re right. We should go find Uluki. I still have a cookie to give her and Rollick.”

Lylessa Uluki
Citizen

Post by Lylessa Uluki » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 am

((NPC Post))

Dash nodded. It made sense that Kaydee wouldn’t feel ready to make such a decision… and maybe she never would. That was fine too. Dash had been trying to fulfill the desire it seemed Kaydee had expressed… but only if that desire existed. She wouldn’t bring the matter up again unless Kaydee did, since only Kaydee knew what she needed.

“I’m sure they’ll like the cookie,” Dash told her, merely accepting her answer rather than continuing to address it. “They’re probably back by now, and I assume they’d go to our room.”

Once they had returned there, Dash knocked in a perfunctory way, just to be polite and let her family know they were coming in, then she pushed the door open. “Welcome back!” she called cheerfully upon seeing Uluki and Rollick had indeed returned; they were sitting on the floor talking to the two girls. Uluki held Martin in her lap, and Zee and Kira were odd mirrors of her, with Zee holding the brown cat and Kira holding the grey one.

Kira looked up nervously as Dash and Kaydee entered, but Dash smiled to reassure her that everything was going to be alright.

((Continued: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1450))