In the Headquarters

A busy strip along the center of marn, including the Temple, Hospital, and Justice Hall.
Camulous Smithson
Guardsman
Name: Camulous Smithson
Race: Human

In the Headquarters

Post by Camulous Smithson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 pm

Camulous paced the marble floor of the headquarters, now fully dressed in his official gear. The surprisingly light armor, with its odd matte finish, reflected the flickering candles with a dim orange-gray. All around him, staring back at his angry pacing, were the faces of heroes and demons of the tomes. Men who died a hundred years ago, dressed in armor that mirrored to the last detail what the captain wore now, fought beasts of all kinds. Orcs, faeries, other humans, a giant... And dwarfing it all was the great mural of the dragon, slaughtering a whole army of guardsmen.

The captain was mentally tired and stressed already, having had his quiet off-duty morning ruined by arguments and the death of a stranger. It was as if he couldn't have a single day's peace in this god-forsaken city. His only joy was in being able to finally use his new pistol... And a mighty fine joy that had been. But now that he was fully armored, he was less likely to use the pistol, which he considered a fanciful toy or amusing trinket, but no replacement for his sword and a handful of well trained men with crossbows. He knew that when it came down to it, the pistol wasn't worth shit.

Camulous, unlike many of his men, hated combat, hated dealing with thugs and rabble, hated wars and death and, above all, magic. He accepted his duty because it was something that had to be done, and he was captain because he knew his men and knew how to handle them. Many of them enjoyed to brawl and didn't care if someone died in the process, but some days - no, most days - Camulous was in a miserable mood because of it all. The knowledge that he was working for the judges, a seedy group of frightening old men who knew no bounds when it came to torturing and killing those found guilty of crimes against the city, weighed especially heavy on his shoulders.

He turned on his heel and paced back through the antechamber. It was a routine he followed regularly. When he was trying to think and had nothing else to do he started pacing through the headquarters like a nervous king in his throne-room.

The clerk at the front desk, a weaselly little man who reported directly to the judges and probably had more influence with them than camulous himself, tried to ignore the pacing. Telling Camulous to stop would have been a bad idea... If nothing else, letting him pace actually calmed him down.

"Damn him..." The captain spoke to himself at first, and then said something clearly aimed at the clerk. "And damn your blasted battlemages. This is exactly what we have them for, and they're useless."

The clerk sneered and rolled his eyes. Camulous turned around and started pacing back the other way again.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:19 pm

It was a disorienting morning for Orion Black. It was partially that he had been dreaming all night, the kind of dream that comes from going to sleep with a singular purpose of thought. In his dream Orion was locked in a fierce battle with an unknown assassin who attacked him from the shadows. Orion was unarmed and was wrestling with the said assassin in a loose circle filled with sand, and his fellow City Guards were cheering him on from the sidelines. But besides this harrowing dream it didn't help that he woke up on a cold, hard stone bench adjacent to the cells in the guard HQ.

But no, more than anything it was the killer hangover squeezing whatever comfort he posessed from his brain by sticking invisible knives through his eyes. Checking outside, Orion found that it was still quite early in the day. Well, at least he was on duty today he thought sourly to himself. Orion glanced at the empty cells next to him. Perhaps these cells would be filled by the end of the day.

No one was in the headquarters yet except the ever-present clerk, to whom Orion gave a curteous nod as he made his way upstairs. He kept all of his equipment in a small storage room upstairs, with the exception of his sabre and his dagger which he kept on his person at all possible times. He did a lot of little things that seemed to irritate the clerk--but so far no one had the galls to complain; Orion's fierceness in battle was a widely respected reputation within the Guard. He gave himself a rudimentary washing and put on his uniform. He kept the heavy armor off his body, opting for a leather armored vest and his City Guard's coat over that. He didn't bother changing his boots when he went off-duty and he kept it on, only taking it off briefly to wash his feet. Finally he picked up the arquebus, its blade sheathed by leather cloth. Orion slung it around his back by a leather strap--from the same strap he hung the specially made cartridges that were so important to making the best use of the weapon.

He was quite fond of the weapon--he felt that it was the wave of the future, a single shot that could decide in a split second the outcome of a battle. One hit was devastating and pierced through all but the heaviest of armor--a single crucial shot to subdue an entire crowd, or a strategically placed blast to be followed through with the business end of his blade--it opened up a myriad of options for him in the heat of battle. But more than that something about the weapon appealed to him, a magnetic attraction.

Finally he put on a pair of dark leather gloves, gave his hair a rudimentary pat-down, and strolled down to the downstairs where he saw the good captain pacing around the antechamber, fully suited himself. He raised a hand in greeting.

"'Morning Captain," was his simple greeting, "how're things?"

Kamar Deythal
Citizen
Name: Kamar Deythal
Race: Half-elf

Messenger

Post by Kamar Deythal » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 pm

((OOC: This is not actually Kamar. This is a messenger.))

A nervous young man steps into the Guardsmen's Headquarters. He wears a tattered green tunic, oft stained, and a pair of brown breeches, slightly less stained and tattered than the tunic. He pads in barefoot and sidles up to the clerk, his eyes shifting to either side as he takes in the surroundings. It is obvious he doesn't want to be here, even as his eyes latch onto Camulous and follow his pacing for several heartbeats.

Finally, tearing his eyes away from Camulous, he looks down to the clerk.

"Ehm... 'scuse me, sir. There's a mess'ge I'm s'poseda give ta a cap'n of guards." He swallows loudly, obviously trying not to return his gaze to the agitated looking Camulous. "S'there one 'round here?"
You’re gonna find out you’re already dead, and I was the world coming down on your head.

Camulous Smithson
Guardsman

Post by Camulous Smithson » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:48 am

Camulous looked up from the floor when he heard a familiar greeting. He liked to show his rougher side to others, especially his men, and his demeanor was the usual mixture of bitterness and discipline.

"Orion." He only said his name in return. "I didn't know you were here."

His personal feelings about Orion had nothing to do with his reluctance to discuss how things were going. They were going fine as far as city officials and the word on the street were concerned, but the guard could see what they could not. It was the guard who were responsible for making things look fine when they weren't, and that task was getting harder.

There was a wanted man on the loose who continued to make a mockery of the guard's reputation, several unsolved recent events ranging from an explosion on main street to an unusually high number of missing people, and something else the captain couldn't explain. A feeling that he was out of the loop. The government wasn't telling him everything, and at the center of blame for this was the weaselly little clerk sitting quietly in the antechamber with his stack of documents. Everyone knew what Camulous thought about beurocrats.

Another man entered the room just then. A messenger of sorts, asking for the captain. Whatever it was he had to say, Camoulus was eager to find out.

"That's me. Lets hear it."

Kamar Deythal
Citizen

Post by Kamar Deythal » Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 am

The messenger swallowed noisily again, and looked up at Cam. He glanced nervously towards Orion, his face turning slightly red as he recognized him. Quickly turning away, he stared at Cam, and began to stammer.

"W-well, there's th-this fella. H-he wants t-ta see ya, quickly as p-possible. He says he's a freelance hunter, an' that he has a problem with a person he's trackin'. He tol' me ta tell ya ta meet him at The Willow Root Tavern at jus' after noon o' tha clock."

He sits there, shifting nervously, obviously trying as hard as he can not to look back at Orion. He seems to be waiting for some response.

((There, edited and made up a name for the tavern. Any problems with the name, I can always change it.))
Last edited by Kamar Deythal on Sun May 07, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
You’re gonna find out you’re already dead, and I was the world coming down on your head.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 04, 2006 7:32 am

Orion paid little attention to the captain's dodgy response; he knew how things were going well enough. There was no better place to learn how things were than out on the streets as a guard. He knew little about the judges, though he knew that it bothered the captain. He glanced briefly at the clerk--the judges were no friends of his, and he would rather follow Camulous than whoever owned the rat that sat behind the counter. But the rat was powerless to act himself, Orion mused. He looked at the dirty messenger that came in asking for the captain, and something tugged at his memory.

He knew this man, didn't he? One of the drunken nights he had spent, a recent one... too recent to remember maybe. Orion paid close attention to the man and began to pace around him in a wide arc as he spoke. The man was obviously nervous of his position as the emissiary of this freelance hunter.

Freelance hunter--he rolled the word around in his head as he walked around the messenger's back. The word meant one of two things... mercenary, or assassin. Assassin, now that hit on something in his mind. And suddenly he remembered the man from last night--he said something about an assassin in town. Orion let the silence last for a full second before making a sudden rush to the messenger's side, grabbing his arm roughly.

"You know me," he said it like a fact, and peered into the man's face with piercing eyes, his face a neutral mask of suspicion, "who is this man that sent you here?"

Camulous Smithson
Guardsman

Post by Camulous Smithson » Fri May 05, 2006 3:08 pm

(( The drunken rat isn't the only tavern in Marn, but it's the most popular one and the only one I've given a name. If you feel like making up another one, i can add it to the map. ))

Camulous listened intently to the man, hanging on every word as they edged closer to serendipity too fabulous to be real. A freelance hunter who needed assistance with something...

Here was Camulous, pacing back and forth in the antechamber, brooding about how neither he nor anyone on the city payroll could catch one elusive man, when in comes a messenger for a bounty hunter. It didn't matter to the captain what kind of freelance hunter he was. God, or whatever fates were watching, brought this man to Camulous, and he was going to take full advantage.

That was, of course, assuming that all of this wasn't some kind of elaborate ploy by the wanted man himself - a thought which sat like a demon in the back of the captain's mind.

Orion grabbed the man and started to interrogate him, and Camulous made no move to interfere.

Kamar Deythal
Citizen

Post by Kamar Deythal » Sun May 07, 2006 12:55 am

The messenger swallowed again, his eyes darting nervously about the room as he awaited the Captain's response. He didn't seem to enjoy the fact that Orion was behind him, but he managed to keep his fidgeting and nervousness to a minimum.

That is, until Orion grabbed him and started speaking into his face. He pulled away instinctively, but Orion's iron grip held him in place. A small squeak passed his lips before he could clamp down on it.

He looked at Orion in utter terror for a moment before his lips loosened and his words began tripping over themselves to come out of his mouth.

"Master Black! 'Course I knows ya! B-but this fella, I do na know him! He said somethin' 'bout a large bounty an' trouble in semi-human form, but nothin' else! He did na e'en give me a name ta tell ya! Said he'd know ya when he saw ya! I do na know anythin' else! I swear to you!"

He cowered back again as he finished, closing his eyes and adding one last sentence in just above a whisper.

"Do na thrash me agin..."

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Orion abruptly let the man go, and turned around to face Camulous who had been silent during the exchange.

"The bounty-hunter claims himself to be an assassin," Orion said, the word assassin holding with it a hint of disdain, "they have their uses, but I don't trust them."

He waited to see what the captain would say, though in actuality he would go to the tavern whether the captain would or not--whether it was to bring in an assassin or hunt down a shapeshifter would depend on how events played out at the tavern.

Camulous Smithson
Guardsman

Post by Camulous Smithson » Tue May 09, 2006 1:35 am

"Trust only your fellow guardsmen, Orion." Replied the captain, quoting a line from their training manual. "But we don't have to trust him to use him."

He passed the clerk a sidelong glance, and then, humorlessly, looked back to Orion.

"We need someone unorthodox right now. If we help him, he'll help us in return, and either way I want to know what this is all about."

Camulous had just recently done something very similar, and hired a group of female assassins to help him arrest the members of the mages guild. It had worked in the end, which was more than he'd expected.

He walked over to the side wall where his sword hung in its sheath among several others, grabbed it, and motioned for them both to head outside.

Kamar Deythal
Citizen

Post by Kamar Deythal » Tue May 09, 2006 5:57 am

The messenger looked from one man to the other. The expression on his face could only be called incredulous. "A-assassin! He's a assassin?! Are ya sure? C-cause he jus' said that he was a freelance hunter..."

He suddenly clamped down on his words, realizing who he was talking to. As Camulous motioned him towards the door, his jaw dropped.

"Ya do na expec' me ta go with ya, do ya?"

He backed slowly towards the door, before suddenly turning and making a dash for the it.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed May 10, 2006 12:18 am

Orion let the man run. Perhaps in the streets he would run into Orion, but until then there was no reason to pay attention to the man. He followed Camulous outside; the tavern named by the messenger was a small affair only a few blocks from the headquarters, discreet but not isolated.

He looked towards the captain and said, "lead the way."

((OOC: I assume we'll make a new thread continuing at the tavern))