Drugs [processed]

Old world development posts that have been reviewed and incorporated or put aside.
Stella
Staff
Name: Zaskia
Race: Human

Drugs [processed]

Post by Stella » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:00 am

(We need a wiki page for drugs and infos on each of them so I'm posting this here so nobody forgets. NO FORGETTING.)
http://www.tharshaddin.com/wiki/Drugs

Recreational Drugs
Tobacco
Tobacoo is native to the Western continents of Ayana and Tzalxochitl. It was introduced to Eyropa by the Darleone elves. It is now grown in any wet area near to the equator, with southeastern Ayana and south Tian Xia being the largest exporters. It is smoked from a pipe, although is sometimes fashioned into cigarettes or cigars by being rolled in paper. It is popularly smoked through elegant water pipes during group meetings in some areas. It is legal everywhere.
Marijuana
Marijuana is a common drug throughout the Eyropan empire and beyond. It grows as a weed in a variety of climates, making it cheap to produce at great quantities. The high it produces is extremely mild relative to modern Earth's genetically modified varieties. It is legal everywhere on Pal Tahrenor, and in many parts it is not considered a drug.

Outlawed in Marn
Copiax
Copiax, or Astral Dust, is a magic inducing drug banned in many places on Pal Tahrenor because of its inherent danger. The user often gains some level of magical ability while using it, as the drug causes a local weakening of the Seal. Overdoses on copiax are not uncommon, although they can be hard to detect as they might leave nothing of the user but a bloodied mess. It is expensive to produce, so it is used most often in high society and aristocracy.
[[Copiax|See full article on copiax]]
Opium
Opium grows from poppy flowers, which are hardy plants found all over the Eyropan empire and beyond.

Medicines
Goldenseal
Margoritol
Micatoxin
Orakitin
Oxycilliton
Parikethanol
Willowbark

Outlawed in Marn
---
(09:20:49) Kahmari: and can't even specificly put what their lore is from then complains when someone knows the lore of their char
(09:21:13) Stella: I too enjo specifcly lore chars.

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett

Re: Drugs

Post by Saruna » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 am

We were discussing a drug today in chat that was (probably) magically altered in order to dampen the magical ability of the one taking it. In no particular order:

* Imported from Vitalis in Apthoni to the government, allowing for smuggling possibilities.

* Highly controlled or just not well known.

* In addition to dampening magical abilities it also affects the magic user in some discernable way, making outing magic users a possibility. OR the main one just dampens magic and there's an offshoot that outs magic users.

* Only tied to humans? Does it affect non-human shifters/elves/whatever?

* Used by the inner circle of puradyne leadership as a way of showing purity?

* if I missed something someone speak up
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.

Stella
Staff
Name: Zaskia

Re: Drugs

Post by Stella » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I would imagine that a magic dampening drug would work much the opposite way that copiax works; the drug would strengthen the Seal locally, and thus cut off the user's access to the Astral plane to some extent. It could have a variety of effects on different people because of how open the physics of magic is on Pal Tahrenor. I'm not sure how you would target specifically humans with it, because even humans have a variety of different ways they use magic.

I would imagine that in a high enough dosage, it would kill anything immortal past a certain age. For instance, a highly concentrated dose could kill Hakujoumi, or Bela. Anything undead would probably die, but I don't know if they would be able to come back after the drug has worn off or not.

It would make most shifters stuck in their current forms, and if they have the ability to think like a human in an animal form, it might strip that away from them while the drug is active. If they're in their half-form, I'm not sure what it would do. It might just cause a lot of pain.

In non-humans, it might cause some pain in general, but more likely it would just hinder or eliminate their ability to interact with the seal. The further away from human you are, the more harm it is likely to do. For instance, a faerie might feel significant pain and then revert for the time being to a human, or close to human, form.

Those are my thoughts.
(09:20:49) Kahmari: and can't even specificly put what their lore is from then complains when someone knows the lore of their char
(09:21:13) Stella: I too enjo specifcly lore chars.