Greece [scrapped in favor of starting over]

Old world development posts that have been reviewed and incorporated or put aside.
Rutenchioth
Outsider
Name: Rutie
Race: Vampire

Greece [scrapped in favor of starting over]

Post by Rutenchioth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Very first draft. There are a few aspects of Greek history I was unsure about (I'm assuming the Dorians were the main presence in Greece when the Changer's War started, though it doesn't really matter because I think that whole period was during the Greek's Dark Age? Also, I had a really cool idea about what could happen with the Sea Peoples, but I want to nail everything else down before starting on that).

Also, I'm not sure how well received my, uh, vision of present day Greece would be, or even if that's where his Emperor-ship was located. I assumed not. Anyways, apologies for the rough writing. Please let me know what you think of this history before I launch into the current tribe/town things, island monsters and such left from the War.

I will edit these notes/roughdraft once I get some love from yon admin-mods.

(do something on the sea people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples )

Athena began somewhere around 1400 BCE
Giants appear in the region around 1100 BCE (later?earlier? Consiered 900-800 BCE)
Theogios appears around 700 BCE

Greek culture follow Dorian civilization?

Overview

Athena is an old city, and the surrounding province of Greece is one of the oldest on Pal Tahrenor to survive the major upheavals of magic and the Changer's War mostly intact. Though much of the epicenter of old civilization, under the Dorian people, was destroyed during the Changer's War (most notable of these being Athena herself) the culture itself lives on within all of Eyropa. The Greece of current Pal Tahrenor is shrunk from its former glory, not particularly its own province with Proconsul and a solid group of peoples, as with each of the other provinces in the Eyropan empire, but left more as an homage to Theogios and the Greece-that-was.

Greece is home to several tribes of mixed ethnicity, who are claimed by the Eyropan Emperor himself and whose lands are left strictly alone. These peoples are very lightly taxed, and the only stringent requirement of the Emperor is that they do not attempt to build upon any of the old Dorian sites or expand past their current settlements. They may leave Greece if they so desire, to become a citizen of another province under the empire, but they would have to undergo a rigid process filled with paperwork if they desire to return to living in Greece.

Those of Eyropa who worship or revere Theogios view Greece as a holy site, and some make pilgrimages to the Temple of Athena, set atop the Athenus Range overlooking ruined Athena.

History

Athena and the surrounding province of Greece were one of the oldest to be established on Pal Tahrenor. After the duration of the Mycenaean Age, the Greek civilization fell into a Dark Age, and modern historians can only suspect it was due to Dorians, Giant tribes, or the Sea Peoples. Whatever the case, after this relatively unknown portion of history Theogios rose to power in Athena, and soon had united even the most querulous of city states.

Through trade with the outer countries, soon word of Theogios had spread. Those who did not submit themselves to the Greek at the outset were absorbed by the onrushing spread of his ideas, firm but fair rule, and the proven protection of being under his banner. Throughout this Athena became the very center of the world as far as the people of Theogios were concerned. Even when the first whispers of war had spread, people traveled many miles to learn and trade under the fair light of Athena.

The growing conflict of Pal Tahrenor's other Changers were not to be dismissed, however, and the magical aftershocks from the battles between the Changers became strong enough to affect Eyropa. After a particularly strong wave of magic caused the city of Athena to topple as if from an earthquake, Theogios committed to pushing Setkhantos further south.

This act is viewed by some as an act of war, and by others as one of desperation. Whatever the true cause, Eyropa was overtaken by the war itself. Though the people of Athena tried to rebuild after the magical disturbances, several more catastrophes occurred along the entire southern coastline. The specifics of these disasters are unknown, but it is agreed by all that they were a direct result of the war.

After Theogios sacrificed himself to end the war, the state of Greece itself was that of a disaster the likes of which had never been seen before. The great Peloponnese Peninsula, home to such fearsome city-states such as Sparta and Pyrgos had been sunk beneath the waves, as with the Ionian Islands, and the Dodecanese Islands. Crete's landmass had been drastically changed, and most of it rendered uninhabitable. The smaller islands of the Cyclades were lost, and those that remained were mostly barren. The majority of the Dorian Greeks had fled their homeland to settle in the more northern parts of Eyropa.

After the Eyropan Empire gained a new ruler, and what some historians claim to be the 50th anniversary of Theogios' sacrifice, Greece was declared to be holy ground and inviolate to other provinces. The few remaining tribes clinging to their homeland became the Emperors direct subjects under his protection.

But, the Changer's War had done more than substantially alter Greece's geography. The majority of Greece's islands had become home to beings weird and occasionally monstrous. The remaining survivors of Athena had been changed drastically into the undying. They had lost their higher functions, and could only attempt to eat the stones of their home. Many historians suspect this was the revenge of Farahu for what Theogios had done to Setkhantos.

To this day, the Eyropan Emperor forbids any living person to enter the ruins of Athena. The only town remotely close to Athena is the Holy Temple of Athena, which is a religious settlement open to all pilgrims and operated by the Emperor's men.

Economy

Greece does not have an economy, per se, as its small tribes typically use a bartering system using various goods. They don't typically have much bishani, and they practice a sort of mysticism that has much to do with keeping in touch with the Greek culture as it was before the Changer's War.

The real economy in Greece, in connection with the rest of the world, is at the Temple of Athena. There, various religious institutions have set up their own shrines and way-stations, where pilgrims can go to get closer to their spiritual choice. Food vendors, artifact sellers and the like have gathered there as well, and they do a brisk trade.

But, since this is where Theogios and the Empire originated, the Empire takes the settlement very seriously. Imperial guards are always stationed there, and any sort of vendor or religious camp has to first submit tedious paperwork. Anyone selling or preaching in the Temple who do not have paperwork are promptly shipped back to the capital to spend an unspecified time in prison.

Politics

Greece is directly under the Emperor's control, and as such has no proconsul. It only has consuls in the form of the Imperial Guard who are stationed there at the Temple of Athena, who are occasionally sent out to patrol the land. If you break law in Greece you are not breaking the law of a Province, but the Emperor's direct decree. Minor infractions such as misplaced paperwork might only keep you in jail for a few days, but causing trouble, going where you shouldn't, or interfering with the native populous will likely end in execution at the discretion of the Imperial Guard.

That said, each tribe takes care of itself. They typically have some sort of forum, and their leaders tend to be philosophers or wise-men of great learning. They do not petition the Emperor except in the direst of need, and prefer to be left alone without outside interference.
Last edited by Rutenchioth on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Re: Greece

Post by Frug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:30 am

Looks good. A few notes.
Giants appear in the region around 1100 BCE
This would make them the oldest notable non-human race. That makes sense since they're arguably less extreme an alteration of humans than dwarves and elves. It would mean that less than a century after real magic came along, someone created one.
The Greece of current Pal Tahrenor is shrunk from its former glory, not particularly its own sovereign territory with governor and a solid group of peoples but left more as an homage to Theogios.
It's part of the Eyropan empire. None of the states are sovereign. Under the banner of an empire, they have less autonomy than countries in the European union do on Earth. They're more like states in the US, although with more regional cultural delineations and more state power. If the empire itself does something like go to war with the east (which it has done several times) they all fly the same banner and they have to contribute.
Greece is home to several tribes of mixed ethnicity, who are claimed by the Emperor himself
The emperor of Eyropa or does Greece have their own emperor? Because they can't have their own.
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Post by Metarie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:40 am

I'm trying to envision where this would go on the Pal Tahrenor map -- that little peninsula southwest of Keltaris?
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah the peninsula under the word keltaris.

Rutenchioth
Outsider

Post by Rutenchioth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Frug wrote:Looks good. A few notes.

This would make them the oldest notable non-human race. That makes sense since they're arguably less extreme an alteration of humans than dwarves and elves. It would mean that less than a century after real magic came along, someone created one.
Sadly, there was a reason for this that I now have utterly forgotten. I remember discussing it with Meesha. It might have had to do with the fall of Greece as a habitable area. . .but . .. ugh, I'll have to think about it. If I can't remember, might as well take it out. This is why I need to write everything down, foo.

The Greece of current Pal Tahrenor is shrunk from its former glory, not particularly its own sovereign territory with governor and a solid group of peoples but left more as an homage to Theogios.
Frug wrote:It's part of the Eyropan empire. None of the states are sovereign. Under the banner of an empire, they have less autonomy than countries in the European union do on Earth. They're more like states in the US, although with more regional cultural delineations and more state power. If the empire itself does something like go to war with the east (which it has done several times) they all fly the same banner and they have to contribute.
Hurpdurp moment of bad choice of words. I guess I just plucked the nearest word for what I meant. . .I figured the empire functions with governors, sort of, whatever you want to call them. I call the individual states 'territories' figuring that with modern day implications 'state' would bring to mind too much of the US, which none of us wants. But we could go with states. Or another word. I was actually meaning to bring that up, since we'd touched on it before (when I was working on Hasele and Corezo), but never really outright said it.

I'll edit out sovereign and figure out a better word for what I mean, in that Greece does not have a governor but instead is directly under the control of the emperor (or a subsection directly under the emperor. . .god, frug, we need to figure that out. For reals). The nearest equation I have is how the Catholic Diocese of F airbanks is directly under Rome's Department of Evangelicalism or whatever the hell it's called, instead of the more typical system of bishops, since it's still considered a missionary diocese.
Greece is home to several tribes of mixed ethnicity, who are claimed by the Emperor himself
Frug wrote:The emperor of Eyropa or does Greece have their own emperor? Because they can't have their own.
Emperor of Eyropa. Back to the whole governor thing. WTF do we call them? Representatives? Governor I think would work best. And as for the territories, call them that or states or what? Who's good at this sort of thing? I vote we fob it off on them to do the dirty work. :/ I still have no idea how the council or whatever of the emperor works, or even if it exists, thoguh there must be some sort of -ocracy at work to keep the emperor apprised of his territories and such. . .I've been referring to it vaguely so I don't have to get down to the nitty gritty, but the more I dig into Eyropa the less that's working.

And addendum. Where the hell is the emperor? I mean, what part/city in Eyropa is the Royal Palace, capital of the empire sort of jazz? I always assumed it was in the middle-ish-northern-ish part, but I really have no clue.

Rutenchioth
Outsider

Post by Rutenchioth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Frug wrote:Yeah the peninsula under the word keltaris.
Wait, do you mean the one directly under it that's pointing west, or the one with the city of Athena on it that's pointing south? Cuz I figured it would be the one with Athena on it. :|

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett
Race: Human

Post by Saruna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

While I'm thinking about it, 'province' is a great word too.
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:55 am

Ok so I had a long reply written out but it got deleted by my clicking a button, so I'll be short.

Giants can be the result of the creation of titans. Early on in the war, the titans were created, but like most things in reality, turned out to be less perfect and less regal than the traditional mythos. The result was giants.

Some googling suggests to me that the distinction between province and state is a willy nilly thing that you just use based on tradition. Romans used provinces, so lets go with that. Likewise, they used Proconsuls to govern these provinces (the translation of that would be governor, but proconsul sounds better and could easily be the actual Eyropan word).
Senators are called consuls, and, when they're done being senators, go on to be proconsuls and govern provinces.

Greece seems too fragmented and random to base our political terminology on. I can't find a clear structure or taxonomy, even for just Athens. So unless someone knows that, the roman system is the next bet.

Going along the roman lines, you can also call judges praetors. But again, the words are interchangeable. Judge is the translation of praetor, and proconsul is the translation of governor.

The system is pretty simple. An emperor. A senate, and governors called proconsuls* that preside over provinces (which evolved from the greek city-state model, and which Thar Shaddin itself is not a part of. Marn follows the old city-state model. It is an independent city with its own government and autonomy, and it extends its power over the region).

* http://www.memidex.com/proconsuls+official

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett
Race: Human

Post by Saruna » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Awesome. You rock, Frug.

So where are we putting the emperor, again? If we're basing this off of Roman thingies, how about the Italian region?
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.