Famous Authors [PROCESSED]

Old world development posts that have been reviewed and incorporated or put aside.
Isaac Arcott
Outsider
Name: Isaac Arcott
Race: Human

Famous Authors [PROCESSED]

Post by Isaac Arcott » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Greetings Thar Shaddinians! I thought it might be nice if the literate denizens of Pal Tahrenor actually had something to read besides the Marnian Tomes. This isn't really all that important plotwise, but it could provide a reference that characters could use to enhance the flow of conversation (e.g. "...duller than a _____ ________ novel" or, "don't get all _______ian on me, now"). If they are to your liking, I have a few ideas for fictional authors that would require approval.

Dr Vayne Siendranar
An elven clinician, Siendranar primarily publishes non-fictional works detailing the anatomy of humanoid races in Pal Tahrenor. Initially from Darleone Island, his research has taken him across Eyropa and into the Sooqui Plane, with no permanent place of residence. Though highly theoretical, his research focuses mostly on the functional and magical properties of internal organs, and empirically examines the effects of the astral plane on the physical body (i.e. fatigue or stress after casting magic). Despite his dull and straightforward writing style, scholars and clinicians alike all across Eyropa are fascinated by his research. Popular works include 'The Resonant Magical Properties of the Circulatory System' and 'Examining Cognitive Function Under Extreme Environmental Conditions'.

Marcus Smithson
An author of fiction, Smithson writes highly exaggerated accounts of his imaginary travels in Tzalxochitl. Though criticized for his inaccuracy, he is lauded by passionate readers for his skilled prose and romantic imagination. His age and birthplace are unknown. Popular works include 'the Shaman's Rebuttal' and 'Tryst with an Underworld Overlord'

If this is acceptable by Pal Tahrenorian standards, then perhaps we could continue creating fictional authors for fun. It be nice to have a congruent understanding of Pal Tahrenor's culture; it's easier when there's a name behind the trend or idea you are using.
"We cannot go back, that's why it's hard to choose"

Niabi
Staff
Name: Niabi
Race: Deer Woman

Re: Famous Authors

Post by Niabi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:39 pm

I don't know how popular the books of Dr Vayne Siendranar would be within Marn, that is if they were even allowed in the city. Marn's laws are real strict about magic, basically magic is evil and as such it is banned within the city unless the Judges see it as beneficial to their way of life. I can see them viewing works based on the magical influence on the human body to be encouraging the illegal practice of magic unless such works drew from the puradyne beliefs that magic will destroy their humanity and swallow their soul and all that loveliness.

As far as the other goes and the idea of creating fictional authors or novels for the citizen of of Thar Shaddin or the rest of Pal Tahrenor to read, go for it. Have fun. There is also the Tattler if you want your daily dose of gossip.
Killer of Squirrels

Isaac Arcott
Outsider
Name: Isaac Arcott
Race: Human

Post by Isaac Arcott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am

No I doubt his books would be legal in Marn, which is why his popularity mostly comes from Eyropa. But for people coming from outside Marn, particularly from Eyropa or Darleone, his name would at least sound familiar. Also, Marn does allow a few exceptions to the use of magic when it's for the greater good, though reluctantly; Metarie would be a perfect example. Siendranar is a clinician, whose research is conducted purely in the interest of improving medical practices, and his theories are based on objective unbiased empirical observations of the natural world (which is partially why the text is so dull). I think if Marn could make an exception for Metarie, it might have a similar use for Siendranar's work, though not publicly.

And 'daily dose'? I know time moves slower in Pal Tahrenor, but the tattler could use another update, if there is anything to update.
"We cannot go back, that's why it's hard to choose"

Niabi
Staff
Name: Niabi
Race: Deer Woman

Post by Niabi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:24 am

Oh yeah, the Tattler is well overdue for another issue but I haven't gotten around to writing up a new one and even though it's open for anybody to post articles, nobody has chosen to do so.
Killer of Squirrels

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Post by Metarie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:00 am

I like the idea. Certainly Metarie has books on human, gnomish, elvish, and even troll physiology. She also has herbal lore, gardening, medicinal uses of plants and the like.

I can see an elf writing a book like that and it being used where magic healing is taught. Isaac, you've certainly given me some food for thought.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking