World Terminology [PROCESSED]

Old world development posts that have been reviewed and incorporated or put aside.
Ischia
Outsider
Name: Ischia etNatuia
Race: Half-elven

World Terminology [PROCESSED]

Post by Ischia » Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 pm

In order to avoid sounding as idiotic as the Forgotten Realms author that referenced French Doors in a story set in Faerun (where France doesn't exist), or my former roleplaying partner who had a D&D character who was addicted to Scotch (no, we weren't on Earth), there are some things we should iron out.

Money is "Bishani". Cool.

How about units of measurement? What should we call Pounds? Miles? Leagues? Acres?
What's the conversion system?

Are there common popular drinks, or is it the typical ale/beer/grape-wine?

Units of time: What's the calendar look like? names of the months and how many? How do we break up the time of day (i.e., in place of hours/minutes/weeks/years). Solar/lunar/seasonal calendar?

What are the common curses/insults? For example, if you're Klingon, being called a "Bata'q" means you're going to punch someone in their jagged yellow teeth. If you are William Shakespeare, you shout "'Zwounds!" when you hit your thumb with a hammer.

...I'm sure I'll come up with some more, too. Be warned - I'm a stickler for details. ^_^

Niabi
Staff
Name: Niabi
Race: Deer Woman

Re: World Terminology

Post by Niabi » Tue May 25, 2010 6:30 pm

I think I can answer most of these questions.

Yes, money is called Bishan (singular) and Bishani (multiple)

As far as units of measurements, most people just use pounds, miles, leagues, acres. It may vary from person to person as to how they measure something but no we don't have any special terms for measurement.

As far as drinks go we leave it up to you to pick reasonable drinks. Yes, ale, beer, grape-wine is the most popular but we do have characters drinking whiskey and other drinks. I would just stay clear of drinks that require a blender, being topped with whipped cream or anything else that seems impossible to order in a medieval farming village. (and yes, I had to once bring it up to a member that I doubt out bartenders could make such a drink)

As far as time goes, I'm pretty sure that hours/minutes/weeks go by at the same pace that our time does. That is to say that there are 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour and 52 weeks in a year, 7 days in a week and as far as I know there are 12 months in a year. I have read through just about everything on this site and I have not seen anything to imply that this may be different. As far as names of the months and days of the week it would make sense if they weren't named after gods that don't exist in this setting but I have not seen any alternative names for them, I can ask Frug what he has to say about it.

Hehehe, as far as common curses go I am half tempted to link just about any thread with Chrishton in it but I would again say those are pretty basic. I would just say avoid mentioning Jesus and you could throw in the name of a god but just about any curse you might normally say could fit here.
Killer of Squirrels

Ischia
Outsider

Post by Ischia » Wed May 26, 2010 2:17 am

Sounds okay, I suppose.

I think I was thinking along the lines of, this place doesn't have the history *our* earth does, so I assume they wouldn't have, say, a day called Thursday - since Thor isn't a god that they worship. They also wouldn't serve Champagne, as that city doesn't exist.

Also, time is a big thing for me. For example, in our D&D campaign, we had a unit of time called a "Candle" - of course, determined by how long it took a certain length of candle to burn away. We assumed a "candle" was roughly two hours long, and there were ten candles in a day. It just kind of saved the idea of having to explain how this alternate universe came up with exactly the same time measurement system as we did, without sharing any history whatsoever.

Niabi
Staff

Post by Niabi » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 am

I think you can just call us lazy though we will say we have kept most things the same so as to make it less confusing.
Killer of Squirrels

Kamar Deythal
Citizen
Name: Kamar Deythal
Race: Half-elf

Post by Kamar Deythal » Wed May 26, 2010 3:28 am

How do you know this isn't actually Earth? How do you know this isn't 4,000,000 (add zeros at random here) in the future, and no one knows why it's called Thursday? Who's to say that Thor doesn't exist in this setting, and instead of being known as Thor is actually known as Angatdan? (Look it up, she's a goddess on Pal Tahrenor.)

Hell, if I'm going this far ...

How do you know that there isn't an alternate universe created each time one of us has a major choice to make in this world? Doing the math, that's trillions (only trillions cause I can't think of anything bigger without saying 'zillions', which I don't think is an actual unit, but who knows...) of worlds created in a day, though obviously some of them will be less likely.

Maybe Pal Tahrenor is what Earth would have looked like in 2010 had someone back in the Roman Empire discovered particle accelerators and had thousands of years to screw with it, which brought magic into the world and created the alternate universe.

Also, I'm too lazy to learn a new system of measurement, time, or curse words. I'd rather just say "Fuck me, I gained 10 pounds in the last 3 days, 12 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds. Now give me a China White shooter, a Vodka Rockstar, and a martini, with three measures of Gordon's gin, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel."

I'm just saying. I like to play Devil's Advocate. Or perhaps "Angatdan's Advocate"!
You’re gonna find out you’re already dead, and I was the world coming down on your head.

Deilakrion
Citizen
Name: Deilakrion
Race: Elf

Post by Deilakrion » Wed May 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Thar Shaddin has the same history as our Earth up to a certain point (it *is* an alternate earth setting). At 2127 PW is the beginning of our calendar (approx. 0 AD). So I believe it's safe to assume that the gods worshiped before 0AD are the same as real earth, and thus might influence how some things are done in Pal Tahrenor. http://www.tharshaddin.com/setting/world-history.php

But that, at least, is why a lot of time measurements can be done the same. And, as far as I know, seasons are still the same and such, which is why it's assumed on the timeline that a Pal Tahrenor year is counted the same as an Earth year. Different cultures probably use different methods of counting months/weeks, though I'd bet several use the various phases of the moon to go off of.

As far as measurements go, I'm sure that would depend on where you are. The elves in the far east likely do not use the same methods of measurements as Darleone.

*pokes Kamar with pointy sticks*
WTF is a china white shooter?

I'm guilty of using fuck and shit with Ko, and quite frequently at that.

I think a lot of this Frug leaves open on purpose so that the playerbase can decide as they go along.

Vexako
Citizen
Name: Vexako
Race: something

Post by Vexako » Wed May 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I forgot the part where the earth's orbit and axis were changed. Without Frug expanding on how they were changed, there's no way of telling how different a Pal Tahrenor year is from the earth equivalent.

/sadface

BUT, assuming that they cannot be changed so greatly as to make Pal Tahrenor unlivable, it can be assumed Pal Tahrenor is similar still to earth. And I think since its spin wasn't altered, a day is still a day. Should just be year and weather that changed. :<

Aniseed
Outsider
Name: Jester
Race: Human

Post by Aniseed » Sat May 29, 2010 3:08 am

So, being the curious etymological whosywhat geek that I be (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) a seven day week would be appropriate for this setting because the Babylonians were using the seven-day system way back when, due to it being a fourth of a lunar month, and most others copied them. If we allow that cultures take some leeway with their lunar months, squint at it and pretend that the numbers just so happen to match up with our own, then the length of months can be the same.

Unless, of course, we want to use the Roman eight-day market week, where apparently all the days are assigned letters and they miscounted months surprisingly frequently. :mrgreen:

The names would be different, though, for both months and days. Which brings me to my next point: were there seven changers? If we don't know, can there be seven changers so we can have a Theogiosday? And if not, can there be a Theogiosday anyway? Like Christmas only with cool Eyropan traditions of getting drunk and beating up snakes and other awesome crap like that? We can shorten it to Theoday ~

Edit: one short dive into the interwebbery later, it turns out that most ancient cultures based their week on a 'seven luminary' (a.k.a. Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn) rotation, again spread out from Babylon, so if we just have fancy Thar Shaddinian names for the planets, assuming they can still be seen, that would also be plausible. Unless you want to be Norse or Jewish/Christian or Chinese, in which case there are difficulties. :D
Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song
a medley of extemporanea
and love is a thing that can never go wrong
and I am Marie of Romania.
- Dorothy Parker

Ischia
Outsider

Post by Ischia » Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 am

^^ I like this girl.

This is *exactly* what I mean. I'm not asking anyone to reinvent the wheel, I just want cool festival names, and to not use phrases like "I'll see you Wednesday, the Fifth of August" when neither Odin nor Caesar Augustus appeared in TharShaddin history.

Considering that the Julian calendar was put into effect in 45 BC, it is feasable that TharShaddin was using something along its lines. This would mean they DID know about the 365 1/4 years, and had a leap year. Leap Day should definitely be a major festival, since it only happens once every four years. There is some reason to believe the Egyptians had a 365 day year that drifted further and further away from the true date, and they tried to add a fourth day to every four years back in 238 BC. Again, making solar year and leap day plausible by TharShaddin standards.

Now, I thought this was interesting, as Charlemagne had some influence over the immediate area surrounding Thar Shaddin. Granted this wasn't until after 700 AD, so you can take it as you will. He renamed all the months in Old German, and I thought the names were pretty cool:

. The names (January to December) were: Wintarmanoth (winter month), Hornung (the month when the male red deer sheds its antlers), Lentzinmanoth (Lent month), Ostarmanoth (Easter month), Wonnemanoth (love-making month), Brachmanoth (plowing month), Heuvimanoth (hay month), Aranmanoth (harvest month), Witumanoth (wood month), Windumemanoth (vintage month), Herbistmanoth (autumn/harvest month), and Heilagmanoth (holy month).

If we were to use these, the only ones we'd have to change would be Lent Month and Easter Month. Easy enough.

Derin Edala
Citizen
Name: Derin

Post by Derin Edala » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:03 pm

On a related topic, what is the local language called? The site says it's strongly influenced by Elven, but I assume that it's closely related to a very common language or new arrivals would not be able to communicate.
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Niabi
Staff

Post by Niabi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 pm

We call the local language Eyropan
Killer of Squirrels

Anja
Citizen
Name: Anja
Race: Arach-Dwarf

Post by Anja » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 pm

hehehe. I like how "love-making" month goes right into "plowing" month.
Surrounded by poo

Erryl
Citizen
Name: Erryl Llynasura

Post by Erryl » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Trust you to notice something like that.

Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Post by Frug » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 am

heheheh
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Isaac Arcott
Outsider
Name: Isaac Arcott

Post by Isaac Arcott » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:24 am

Anja wrote:hehehe. I like how "love-making" month goes right into "plowing" month.
Hahahahaha, yeah, farming is a lot like love-making, heheh.

(What? That's not the joke!?)

Can we accept this as canon? I at least think you should rename the days of the week. We could have Theoday, Piltziday, Faraday, etc.
"We cannot go back, that's why it's hard to choose"