Marn Government vs. Marn Guards

For discussion and development of the world of Pal Tahrenor
Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Marn Government vs. Marn Guards

Post by Metarie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:34 am

Looking at the discussion for the fire brigade.

'm going to throw this out here. MAYBE just MAYBE our original approach to civil services was incorrect. The military could have a Corps of Engineers responsible for the infrastructure. Maybe just maybe, that is part of the conflict - maybe Oslun should hold a lot more power than we realized. Maybe we need to revisit the Civil structure.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Katona
Staff
Name: Nashandra Katona
Race: Human

Re: Marn Government vs. Marn Guards

Post by Katona » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 am

I don't know a lot about how these kinds of city/government/military organizations works, but I think all you really need to look at is who holds the power over all of it. The Judges have control over all guard and government activities, and I don't think they'd particularly care for the guard to have more power than they have now. It might be safer for them, and perhaps easier to manage. One part of it would be giving the "public" government (ministers, mayor, etc.) enough power over non-military/unimportant matters to placate the general public as well as the wealthy.

I think it would make a lot of sense for parts of the government to have grown out of the guard historically, until being made separate as time went on, perhaps? But most of what the ministries deal with is paperwork and other diplomatic nonsense, whereas the guard deals with the practical side of enforcing the law and organizing bodies. Certainly there could be more integration between the guard and other government organizations, like having specific groups of people from the ministries working within the guard and vice versa, but overall I think it makes sense to leave the structure as it is.

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett

Post by Saruna » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Could do civic engineering alongside (but not under direct control of) the guard, with a caveat that during times of emergency they fall under guard rule. That way there is balance while still giving the guard room to do what they need to do during times of crackdown.
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Post by Metarie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:10 am

Mmhm. That's sort of what I was thinking.

I can't see the guard discontinuing certain auxiliary fields just because a civil version exists. There probably was just a natural migration of responsibilities to the civil side of things. Or maybe the guard version is on ... what's the word? secondment? as a matrixed area of responsibility to the civil bits.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett

Post by Saruna » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 am

I don't really see the need for there to be a permanent guard version, though.

Like, when it comes to military bases, yes they have firefighters and police nad stuff, but that's because the base needs those things.

When you have a whole city that isn't just a base, but has specifically military people and non military people, it makes more sense to let the non military people handle it, because they have more time to dedicate to it and don't have to rotate in and out for regular duty. Then, I mean, if the city is being attacked by all means let the military people have power (since it is a very military heavy city), but for the rest of the time you're just splitting the hairs of command by putting all the things under military control all the time. It's inefficient to do that because it's just added layers of paperwork and having to ask if this or that is okay, and then having people ultimately in charge who have absoultely no expertise in these things who then have to funnel that through the political side anyways. Better to just put it under Infrastructure and let that Minister be in more direct control with the fire chief having a direct line to him.

Cuz, I mean, I don't know if anything gets more infrastructure then keeping the city infrastructure from burning down. :P
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.