Marn Professional Fire Brigade [In Progress]

Post by Wulf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Marn Professional Fire Brigade

Chief: Tomas Invalion the Second

1st Captain: Mikhail Cartavarion

2nd Captain: Artur Robison

1st Lieutenant:

2nd Lieutenant:

Membership: Around sixty men, split into four shifts that constantly man the Fire Hall. The shifts are lead by a Captain over all, and then his lieutenant handles the smaller issues that may crop up. The 1st Captain and his Lieutenant cover the day shift members, who are usually older, have more experience and prestige or pull, while the 2nd Captain and Lieutenant cover the night shift members, who are usually the newest or those that have angered their superiors in some way.

Area of Service: The residential area, but a heavier emphasis on the wealthier areas of town and the Justice Hall and Temple. (And by extension, the hospital.) The Professional Fire Brigade is seen as part of the government bureaucracy, more of a starting point to get involved in city government for younger sons who are either seen as above or otherwise unable to join the City Guard. Therefore, they are more than willing to leave the more... rundown areas of Marn to the Volunteer Brigade and concentrate on the areas that house those that are either influential or family. Though, as with the Volunteers, their area technically covers the entire city of Marn.

Public perception:
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Lord Byron

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Re: Marn Professional Fire Brigade [In Progress]

Post by Metarie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:43 pm

The fire brigade is part of/should be part the Guard services -- love that there's a Volunteer version

http://tharshaddin.com/~synevives/CityG ... ucture.swf

We'll need to update the Guard Structure, too.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 am

Discussed in chat with Kit, who had some good points.

My thinking is that the Guard Auxillary services has a fire brigade. This would support be like when they deploy the National Guard for emergencies. There would also be a civil version, just like there's Marn Hospital, managed by a Ministry. I'm thinking the Ministry of the Infrastructure? or something like that? Whomever, does utilities and such?

So, perhaps I have confused things. Sorry about that.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Wulf
Citizen
Name: Wulf
Race: Half-Elf

Post by Wulf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 am

Yea, unfortunately, I am extremely confused now.

Because I can't tell if you're telling me that the Marn Professional Fire Brigade that I'm writing here, which would be a civil city service, should be a part of the guard (which would be a logistical nightmare) or that I need to make another one specifically for the guard. The plan was to always make them overseen by a public minister, most likey a commisoner of some kind that worked under the Minister of Infrastructure or Minister of Public Health and Safety. Because the 'Marn Professional Fire Brigade' which is still a Work in Progress write up, is a civil fire brigade that works under the city, and was not planned to work under the guard until it was posted by you that they should fall under guard logistics, which is why I haven't worked on it at all, because I've been trying to figure out where and how under the guard they would fit.

Kit tried to explain what you're talking about, and unfortunately that has merely made it worse for me. So I need you to send me a message on Wulf or Kori or we can just catch each other in chat and I will postpone any edits or working on either the fire brigade or the incident response plans until then.

As to saying it would be a logistical nightmare:

This is the full blown version of the Guard Aux, minus some horse people because it was too big to screencap all in one go blown out (Missing 12 Stable Services, 4 Veterinary Services) :

That is a ridiculously huge department, especially to add more to it, which any fire brigade is going to be at least twenty more people to function in any sort of able to do their job capacity. You're going to need at least one more official that's in charge of a fire brigade with the ability to give orders on an incident scene that other guardsmen that are not a part of the brigade are required to listen to, you're going to need another trainer, you're going to need space for equipment, specialized training.

I'm not against a guard specific fire brigade being added on top of the Marn Civil which is the professionals and the Marn Volunteer, but it's not going to be able to be something that just gets tucked into the Auxiliary department and function with any degree of effectiveness.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
Lord Byron

Darrik
Citizen
Name: Darrik
Race: Dwarf

Post by Darrik » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:06 am

To throw in my own two cents:

It would make more sense, in my opinion, for the Professional Fire Brigade to fall under the Ministry of Infrastructure (see http://www.tharshaddin.com/store/marn-government.pdf )

The Guard are very specific in what they do: law enforcement and keeping civil order. The Fire Brigade logically falls under those more civic maintenance areas such as road and building repairs. Different training and facilities are required for a fire brigade - and it also requires the kind of funding that a Ministry supplies.

I would expect, however, for the Marn Professional Fire Brigade to have a liaison/liaisons with the Guard Auxiliary to help organise co-operation between the two groups when needed. I would also expect there to be clear protocols regarding on-site chain of command depending on the nature of an incident requiring the presence of both Guard and Fire Brigade.

As a sidenote, having 3 fire brigades (Professional Fire Brigade, Guard Auxiliary Fire Response, and Volunteer Fire Brigade) would cause a lot more confusion and difficulty in responding to fires due to lack of cohesion and consistency in the response to a crisis.

(The only reason why there is a volunteer fire brigade to begin with, as Corey explained it back in the Member Meeting where the firebrigade was first discussed, is to be an independent team to look after those areas sometimes 'ignored' by the Professional Fire Brigade due to racism/xenophobia. Otherwise, there'd only be a need for 1 Fire Brigade)

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:33 am

Now, I am confused by the confusion :)

Continue your write up on the Civil Fire Brigade and the services they provide. I think they should fall under the Minister of Infrastructure.

If you want to throw in a volunteer brigade, I think they should be a part of the Civil Brigade. I think they can't exist without approval by the Minister of the Infrastructure. I think jurisdiction, protocols, and procedures should be a given for the brigades to minimize confusion.