For discussion and development of the world of Pal Tahrenor
Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Marnian Public Baths

Post by Metarie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:21 am

Repost from the Ask the Admin thread
Metarie wrote:Someone asked me today if there were public baths in Marn.

I think there should be! I also found this for historical reference from the ever accurate Wikipedia:

"The history of public baths begins in Greece in the sixth century B.C.," where men and women washed in basins near places of exercise, physical and intellectual. Later gymnasia had indoor basins set overhead, the open maws of marble lions offering showers, and circular pools with tiers of steps for lounging. Bathing was ritualized, becoming an art – of cleansing sands, hot water, hot air in dark vaulted "vapor baths," a cooling plunge, a rubdown with aromatic oils. Cities all over Ancient Greece honored sites where "young ephebes stood and splashed water over their bodies."
Putting this out there for inclusion into the Marnian Infrastructure. By public bath, I mean a structure where people can go bathe and get clean, similiar to a Korean mokgyoktang.

The structure would have two sides, one for each gender. And I expect it would be managed through the Infrastructure section of the government if they are public baths.

References have been made to specialty spas and salons for those with the bishani to pay for it.

This is a stub and needs to be beefed up. Maybe someone (a PC or NPC) could own said spa/salon. Mention has been made of Juliai as one such place - a very, very high end dress-maker, salon, and spa.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking