Staff
Name: Zaskia
Race: Human

Re: Marn and Shim Businesses

Post by Stella » Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 am

http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2847
Tiger's Crossing:
Owned by Mr. Bengal [NPC]

Two story inn with a small lounge and bar downstairs. Rooms are located on the second floor. Dilapidated heap with cheap orange drapes and cushions and pine furnishings. The inn used to be higher class but had to be downgraded.
(09:20:49) Kahmari: and can't even specificly put what their lore is from then complains when someone knows the lore of their char
(09:21:13) Stella: I too enjo specifcly lore chars.

Stella
Staff
Name: Zaskia

Post by Stella » Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 am

I've moved the majority of this list to the wiki for easier editing.
http://www.tharshaddin.com/wiki/Marn_an ... Businesses
(09:20:49) Kahmari: and can't even specificly put what their lore is from then complains when someone knows the lore of their char
(09:21:13) Stella: I too enjo specifcly lore chars.

Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Post by Frug » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

No more businesses (especially taverns) starting with the word "The" please.

This got pointed out to me as a bit silly and I agree. Not every tavern in marn should be named "the something something". Other ideas are things like "Cam's place" (which is a real bar in toronto, heh) or starting it with an adjective like "Lucky Frankie's".
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett

Post by Saruna » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Meh, does it even need 'the' in the title? What's the grammatical difference between 'we're going to go rent a room at the Proper Lady' vs 'the staff is very friendly at The Proper Lady' ? Man, this is why I need to actually learn grammar. I mean, it does sound weird initially to say 'We're going to Proper Lady' but since it's the name of something we could just chop it off.

Since most of them are throwaway inns/taverns created by people who no longer write here, it's feasible to adjust the names so we don't have the twilight zone theme going on.

edit - adjusted a few. Lemme know what you think. Erm. . .think you could scope out Corezo for me Frug? ;)

I still have to add in more recent additions to inns/taverns in town, and some shops that've been mentioned offhand. I'll barricade myself into my computer room sometime this weekend for a couple hours to get those done.
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.

Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Post by Frug » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't think it's a grammatical distinction so much as the proper name for the business.
Some can't have it chopped off: The Drunken Rat doesn't sound right as Drunken Rat. You wouldn't say "we're going to Drunken Rat"
Some can't have it added: Bobby's Bees. You wouldn't say "we're going to the Bobby's Bees"

The most obvious case where you can't add "the" in front is in the case of a possessive name like Bobby's Bees. There are also descriptive, plural names like "Enchanting Equines" which would be a particularly girly name for a horsekeeper. You'd never say "the Enchanting Equines" (unless you were talking about the horses themselves).

Many irish pubs around here are named after animals, and they start with "the". The Unicorn. The Fox and Firkin. The Spruce Moose. I think it's traditional and that's why we ended up with so many.
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Saruna
Staff

Post by Saruna » Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 pm

We have a business called Sunshine Bagel & Espresso, and we just say 'let's go to Sunshine.' Same with Taco Azteca, Red Fox, Greyhound Lounge, Loose Moose Cafe. . .there's a place named Blue Loon that everyone refers to as 'the Blue Loon,' same with Chowder House, Mayan Palace, and Alaska Club.

That said, for our run of 'the' I'm putting it down to laziness.

And also, we do need more places named after people.

KoriStronghammer
Citizen
Name: Kori Stronghammer
Race: HumanNorthernman

Post by KoriStronghammer » Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 pm

The Rat and the Butt Plug.

Can that be a bar? I think it would attract interesting clientele.
Through the gates of hell, as we make our way to heaven, through enemy lines, Primo Victoria!

Talia Idris
Citizen
Name: Talia Idris
Race: human

Post by Talia Idris » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:16 am

So I have Talia (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3143) working at a Bakery.

Lets Call it "Bepa's Buns"

Owners: Vadim and Bepa Campion (should I make a NPC post for them?)

Vadim Campion lovingly named it after his wife when they started the bakery 6 years ago. They are popular for the buns that they make. The make fresh bread on a daily basis as well as occasionally fresh sweet treats when time allows it. They open at 6am everyday (although they generally start work at 4) and close at 8pm. More often then not they will have their door propped open, both to help keep the kitchen cool and to lure innocent customers in with the smell of fresh baked goods. When you enter in the bakery you will notice its not very large. On your left with be several shelves with their fresh bread and buns, bagged and easy to purchase and go. They also have a glass display case near the back of the room with any of their extra treats, often this will consist of cookies, sweet buns and specialty breads. behind the case is a window where you can see part of the kitchen. Also on the back wall, on the right, is a swinging door which leads to a slightly bigger room that is the kitchen as well as a pantry where all the supplies are stored. In this room there is another door that opens to the alleyway and is only unlocked during delivery days. A small set of stairs directly across from the door leading the the front room, leads to a bathroom upstairs and small living quarters currently inhabited by the bakery's one other emplyee, Talia.

Soneya
Citizen
Name: Soneya

Post by Soneya » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 am

So I just saw that Frug didn't want any more taverns beginning with 'the'.. hmm... When looking at the list of taverns, they really all do start the same way, never realised that.

Thing is, Darrik and me came up with a tavern with a name starting exactly like that... "The Rusty Wheel" - a gnome run tavern with the main waitress called Pink.
With a tiny edit to a post or two in the rp thread itself it could be changed to "Rusty's Wheel" ? Owner being named Rusty.. something in that case. "The Rusty Wheel" is also a dish it's fairly well-known for amongst gnomes (and now Darrik) btw, it's slightly spicy and looks a little reddish, hence the name.
I didn't lose my mind. I just put it down somewhere... and forgot where.

Saruna
Staff

Post by Saruna » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Bepa's Buns has finally been added!

Rusty's Wheel does sound like a nice name, but I think because it's also tied into a dish you can just leave it as is -- I can change around some of the other names to get rid of some of the 'The' proliferation. In the meantime if you'd be so kind as to do a little writeup for The Rusty Wheel I would be most obliged!

Darrik
Citizen
Name: Darrik
Race: Dwarf

Post by Darrik » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 am

About time I stopped being lazy and added this:
---

Fredrik's Friendly Firkin
A comparitively cheap tavern/inn within the downtown district owned and operated by a dwarf named, unsurprisingly, Fredrik. The rooms are small, the beer is good, and the building is rough but robust.

The inn is constructed of solid dwarf masonry and carpentry, but Fredrik was far too cheap to include the finer finishings to the stone- and woodwork, which has resulted in a strongly rustic ambience. The second floor is dedicated to accommodation, and the ground floor to the bar room and kitchen.

Patrons tend to be either dwarves or humans with a penchant for dwarven ale. Nights can get rough at times, but it's well known that one of the inn's permanent tenants is the dwarf guard Darrik, which can help keep things from getting too boisterous at times - but not all the time.

Colloquially known as Fredrik's, or 'The Firkin', the inn does a decent trade - especially with dwarven craftsmen.

Brokk
Citizen
Name: Ren Brokk

Post by Brokk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Akhotha Brothers' Samaran Steam and Vapour Baths

An upper class establishment in the Residential District, this expansive (and expensive) establishment features a great deal of classical architecture and carved stone and marble. Run by the Akhotha brothers, Ahmin and Naruud, it features a variety of abrasive and therapeutic experiences for deep cleaning, skin renewal and personal purification. With both communal and private bathing areas, the facility also features scented showers, perfumed vapours and mineral muds, with a variety of options to fit the pocket and the palette, so to speak. Strictly no shifters.
We're the knights of the round table!
We dance whene'er we're able!
We do routines!
And chorus scenes!
And Footwork impeccable!
We dine well here in Camelot!
We eat ham and jam and spamalot!

Sofi and Anya
Outsider
Name: Sofi Oslun

Post by Sofi and Anya » Tue May 20, 2014 1:25 am

Bordello

A simple name, a simple act. An upper class-only brothel, not well known and not a great variety, but old Jonathan Scritch keeps his dozen or so ladies in immaculate shape. He's a bit pricy, but you're paying for the best (outside of that wish-wash bathhouse) and the security in knowing that you are 100% safe there. Nobody is going to find out you were at the Bordello last night, and if they do, they won't be telling anyone.

Scritch is a titre who has ruthlessly clawed his way to his current position, in a place of complete comfort after rising through the drug trade and other unsavory businesses before settling on something respectable and in demand. He's tall and lean, and not unattractive. He looks like he could be quite dapper if he were to dress himself up.

The girls themselves keep to themselves mostly. Some are washouts from the bathhouse, some are druggies, most either need the money and don't mind it or are not quite sane and enjoy the work. Scritch's favorite, Mina, has all the amenities of a well-to-do young woman. She's doted on a bit by Scritch and she takes superlative pride in her profession.
Imitation is suicide...

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Post by Metarie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:24 am

Juliai Spa and Salon

House of Juliai - Dressmakers

House of Remathia (Navarre's) - Fashion

Marnian Public Baths - there's probably at least 2 of these, run by the government, infrastructure department.

Marnian Mercantile Commerce Bank - Run by the gubment, treasury department
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Tintinnabulation
Outsider
Name: Tindin Belaria

Post by Tintinnabulation » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Jed's Butchery - a small butcher shop near the centre of Marn. Above-shop loft no longer for rent.