Darleone Island

For discussion and development of the world of Pal Tahrenor
Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Darleone Island

Post by Frug » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Currently nothing has been written about Darleone Island other than the fact that this island is the homeland of the elves.

This area is currently open for development if anyone wants to take it up.

Currently I think Metarie is our most elven of elves, and the best person to consult regarding elven culture, language, history, etc.
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Re: Darleone Island

Post by Metarie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 am

:oops: *blushies* thank'ee

Thanks also for pointing this out. I'll ponder on it and get back to you with some stuff! *beams* :mrgreen:
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:45 pm

First attempt, comments welcome

Darleone Island
Unlike the homogenous nature of its inhabitants, the Island of Darleone has a varied topology. From volcanic crators to stretches of accessible shorelines, Darleone is a natural paradise with many mixed foliage forests. The elves of Darleone passionately protect and revere the land from which they hail.

At the center of the island lay two lakes, the Sol Jhajaer os Tyl Pasaeli, formed within a dormant volcanic cone. The water is said to have restorative properities and is a primary source of fresh water for the island. Other fresh water lakes mark the landscape as well, but the largest of these are the Sol Jhajaer os Tyl Pasaeli.

Farming and fishing are key industries that support the island; however, as noted artisans and craftsmen the Elves also do steady trade with the rest of Pal Threnor via the archipelago linking Darleone to Eyropa.

The ocean is subtropical in climate. Average annual rainfall increases from east to west and ranges from 700 to 1600 annual millimetres (27.6–63 in) on average, keeping the island verdant and green. Numerous bays along the coastline provide excellent harbors, from which terraced fields can be seen. On the south western corner of the island are unusual rock formations, which the elves refer to as Theogios’ Causeway. The site is a place of strong magic, with a high concentration of ley-lines indicating a possible point of entry from the astral plane or perhaps the source of Theogios’ Seal. Many stories exist regarding the place, most regarding the origin of elves and the great Seal. Despite its location, the oceans surrounding the area are treacherous and the causeway is considered accessible only by approach from inland.

Major Cities
Most major cities sit on Harbors intended to be entry points into Darleone. Access to Darleone by non-elves is strictly monitored by a central Darleone government. Non-elves are rarely allowed access to the interior of the island and especially to Theogious’ Causeway. Each of the four major cities are fortress cities.

Thysaer eindral Maelaesaer Thyrsaer eindral Maelaesaer sits on the south-eastern corner and is the primary point of entry and exit for imports and exports from Senerkhet.

Saendror Thysaer Saendror Thysaer guards the area at Theogious’ Causeway.

Thysaer eindral Salylor Thysaer eindral Salylor sits on the south-western corner and is the primary point of entry and exit for imports and exports from Tzalxochitl.

Thysaer eindral Eilae Thysaer eindral Eilae sits on the west and is the primary point of entry and exit for imports and exports from Ayana, if any.

Aelali sai Aesydae Aelali sai Aesydae is the primary harbor and point of entry from the Eyropean archipelago.

Major Holidays and Events
Four times per year, in conjunction with the equinox, festivals are held to celebrate the land. Twice per year, a pilgrimmage is made by the Elves to Theogious’ Causeway.

For an outsider to witness the events of the pilgrimmage is extremely rare. It is said a mysterious stranger with dark eyes appears at the pilgrimmage once every fifty years. Elves do not speak of the pilgrimmage to Outsiders; therefore the rumors may be unfounded. Rumors indicate madness is guaranteed should a non-elf to experience the events of the pilgrimmage

Sol Jhajaeros Tyl Pasaeli
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... asaeli.jpg

Theogious' Causeway
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... useway.jpg

Interior View
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... tfalls.jpg

Terraced Gardens
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... Fields.jpg

Thysaer eindral Maelaesaer
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... titled.jpg

A harbor view
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h ... io2007.jpg

Most of this is based on information about and photos of either Ireland or Islands in the Atlantic - Malta, Canary Islands, the Azores.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Niabi
Staff
Name: Niabi
Race: Deer Woman

Post by Niabi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 am

I've created a village by the name of Bolandri Shira si Sharaes at the base of a river that flows from the lake Sol Jhajaer os Tyl Pasaeli near the center of the Island. The people of this village have pretty much secluded themselves from the rest of the island and they tend to hold prejudice thoughts even over their own kind. They aren't trusting of new ways of doing thing, outsiders, or that which they don't understand. If you don't fit into society as it is, then you don't belong within the village.

Their ways are old, they live just like their parents and grandparents did. They live in very simple homes made of wood and some stone. They hunt wild animals from the surrounding woods, they farm, and fish but very little so as not to upset the river, basically their lives revolve around the river and it's so called magical healing powers.

The town is supposedly ran by a group of elders, but the ones who are really in charge of things are the women who care for and pray to the river. Through the river they worship Baresi, in their own way and based on how the river acts, they inform the village of how things need to be done. So if there is a drought one year, it must be because somebody did something to upset the river.
Killer of Squirrels

Darrik
Citizen
Name: Darrik
Race: Dwarf

Post by Darrik » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 am

I'm just jotting down some notes from the most recent Google hangout, re: Darleone political system.

---
Freehold system, with each Harbour city-state being a political entity in its own right. (research ref: Ancient Ireland, Brian Boru, Leinster Munster etcetera)

A Central City-State in the heart of Darleone with a central ruler to act as counterpoint to the four city-states. (A tiebreaker for important decisions, basically.)

Politics = Lots of talking (think house of lords)
---

Part of the new focus comes due to the imminent RP plot hooks:

- Navarre's Noituratan are soon to send up an ambassador to Darleone
- Darleone influence on Corezo through their trade relationship with the Quijas family.

Please jump in with brainstorming, anyone.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 am

Well, crap - I was just informed Darleone appeared around 300 BCE? I based all this on the idea that Darleone was around the same time that elves arrived.