Blind Dates: Ivone and Vanyusha

For fun roleplaying in non-canon settings that do not influence the real settings or characters.
Ivone
Citizen
Name: Ivone Malatrast
Race: Human

Blind Dates: Ivone and Vanyusha

Post by Ivone » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 am

Ivone was unsure of the blind date she'd been arranged to participate in. The situation was very suspect. An unmarked letter appeared containing only a name, a date, a place, and a time.

The Blind Date pool was sort of like a chain letter. You never knew when you would get one or who your partner would be. Ivone did not like the idea that her name had gotten into the pool. Someone must have put it in there as a joke or out of sheer meanness. Regardless, she'd received it and rumor had it, that those that did not participate had awful things happen to them. Rumor also had it that great love affairs and marriages had come from it, but Ivone had yet to meet anyone who could corroborate either story as true or false.

You got the letter. You went on the date. You didn't talk about it.

And, that is how Ivone came to be in a carriage on her way to a villa in Keltaris.

When she arrived in Keltaris, she thought she might never leave. The coastal city was affluent. The sea was a brilliant blue. The sands were white. Essentially, in comparison Marn was a dreary, awful place.

The villa was atop a hill with winding stairs leading down to a private beach. Ivone couldn't swim, but she vowed she would at least get her feet wet. The way the sunlight sparkled on the water and the white villa was mesmerizing. Perhaps, this was the way to soothe one's soul after such horrendous losses or a place where one could grieve in peace. Solitude in a place like this would not be so bad.

Ivone spent the day exploring the villa and around it. Finally, though, as night fell, she readied herself for bed. The trip had been long. An evening bath was the precursor to her plans for an early night.

Now, Ivone sat on the bench before a vanity mirror. She wore a nightgown and robe. The fabric was satiny and the color of violets, which brought out the violet-blue of her eyes. In the candle light, her hair was like spun gold falling around her shoulders and down her back in soft strands as she brushed it. Placing the brush upon the table, Ivone lifted the summons and stared at it.

"Vanyusha..." Ivone wondered what kind of person this Vanyusha would be and when they would arrive. The villa was large and could accommodate many guests. Ivone assumed it was more an Inn than a residence, but that remained to be seen. As yet, she had not seen any servants but all her needs had been cared for. Unusual..
"Forgive, sounds good.
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting."

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen
Name: Vanyusha

Re: Blind Dates: Ivone and Vanyusha

Post by Vanyusha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 am

Vanyusha lingered outside the villa, examining it curiously from the darkness. Over his long life he had seen many magnificent buildings such as this, but he couldn’t recall ever visiting one. Most mortals did not take kindly to his nature, so his traveling choices were limited. Though he suspected he’d prefer the comfort of his cave, this strange place offered him the rare opportunity to study emotions from a new perspective. Here, he and an unspecified mortal female would partake in the standard courting process. This was the first time he would be able to witness such emotions play out naturally. He had tested the bond between couples through physical and emotional torture during his experimentation sessions, but he had more than enough data on that. Hopefully experiencing it for himself would be an enlightening experience.

Moving forward, he knocked on the door and waited for a response. A young servant girl opened the door and immediately went still, staring with horror at the tall, masked figure looming over her. “I received a letter at my cave instructing me to meet you here, Miss Malatrast,” Vanyusha explained, extending his arms to reveal the gifts he brought for his date – a bouquet of cave fungi wrapped in bloodstained animal fur, and a fish missing half its flesh. “I understand it is customary to offer gifts to one’s date, so these are for you.”

The servant girl backed up, chuckling nervously. “Ah, I’m sorry, I’m just one of the servants. Miss Malatrast is currently in her room. I can show you the way if you’d like.”

“That would be acceptable, thank you,” Vanyusha said as he stepped inside. After taking in his surroundings, he turned back to the maid. “You are a woman in her childbearing years. Tell me, what would a young female expect on a first date? This evening must be satisfactory for the sake of my research.”

The girl, who was halfway up the stairs, stopped mid-step and looked back at Vanyusha. “Well, ah, it’s hard to say – most women have different expectations. Just be yourself and be polite, I suppose… Miss Malatrast’s room is up here.”

Vanyusha raised a hand. "One moment, I do not understand. Is there not a predetermined routine for courtship? I assumed that a woman will agree to enter a relationship after receiving the requisite gifts and signs of affection. This is normally followed by a mating ritual, though that may be problematic for me since I possibly lack genitalia. Am I correct?"

"Erm, it doesn't exactly work like - why don't you talk with her about it? I'm sure she'll be more helpful than I can be."

He nodded, then followed the servant upstairs and stood beside her at Ivone’s door. The girl inched away from Vanyusha and pounded on the door. “Miss Ivone Malatrast! Y-Your date has arrived!”

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:34 am

Her date?

Ivone's reflection shared a bewildered look of puzzlement with her. She was not dressed to receive visitors! She was in her nightgown and wrap.

Ivone moved to the door and opened it. Really, shouldn't the girl have shown the man to his own room instead of hers? What kind of woman did they she is?

"Yes, thank... " The serving girl had left just as soon as she had pounded on the door and informed Ivone that her 'date' had arrived. All that remained was Vanyusha and he was...surprising? terrifying?

Ivone was not a tall woman by any stretch of the imagination. In her bare feet, she stood at an even five feet. Thus, her face was roughly at the height of Vanyusha's midriff. The clothing was a white robe, lined with golden silk. His forearms were covered in black as were his hands - gloves, perhaps? In his hands, and by context, in her face, he held something that looked like mushrooms and lichen wrapped in ... some kind of fur AND half a fish. Well, more like a whole fish that just happened to be halfway devoid of skin and part of its innards. The combination smelled badly. Ivone stifled a gag, lifting her hand to her mouth. She was raised to behave properly, but even the most elegant of women would retch under the circumstances.

She dragged her gaze from the foul-scented bouquet in his hands and looked up, and ... up, to find what appeared to be a bleached animal skull staring down at her. Ivone's eyes widened. She blinked, several times.

From behind her hand, which hovered in front of her mouth, came Ivone's voice,

"Mister... Vanyusha, I presume?"
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 am

Vanyusha’s eyes drifted to the door as it slammed shut. As incomprehensible as mortals seemed to him, he wasn’t a fool – that servant was terrified of him. His frightening appearance aided his torture sessions, but as the girl’s reaction showed it wasn’t useful for courting women. Turning back to Ivone, he studied her face, his golden eyes piercing through the shadows. He had little knowledge of what mortals considered beautiful, but he suspected Ivone would be seen as a desirable woman. Of course, looks did not matter – he was incapable of sexual interest, and this courtship was for research purposes only.

He could only hope she felt the same. If her attitude was similar to the servant girl’s, then this will have been a waste of time.

“Correct. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ivone Malatrast. I was informed that it was polite to bring gifts for one’s date, so these are for you.” Once Vanyusha finished speaking, two long black tentacles emerged from beneath his robe, snatched the gifts from his hands, and placed them on a nearby dresser. Returning his attention to Ivone, he noticed she was wearing her night clothing. Had she been preparing for bed? He knew he had arrived late, but he thought it was still early evening. Only rarely did he leave the depths of his cave, so he wasn’t skilled at judging the time.

“Ah, I see you are retiring for the evening. I apologize for my tardiness – I didn’t realize it was so late. I will take my leave.”

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Somehow, despite the fact that she had neither closed the door nor invited the "man" into her bedroom, he was in the room and the door slammed shut.

Was this place possessed? Ivone stepped back gracefully, allowing Vanyusha a little more room and to keep a proper distance between them. Ivone was staring at Vanyusha's mask covered face as a golden-eyed gaze studied her in return. The gaze traveled over her from head to toe, but without the context of other facial cues, the gaze was dispassionate and intellectual.

It was all Ivone could do to stay in her spot when two black tentacles appeared. She stiffened, waiting to be grabbed, but the things only took the "gifts" and placed them upon a dresser.

Gifts? Those awful things were ... gifts? Perhaps, wherever this person came from such things were considered nice. Though her expression was slightly strained, her breeding and training won out.

"Ah, thank you."

“Ah, I see you are retiring for the evening. I apologize for my tardiness – I didn’t realize it was so late. I will take my leave.”

Although he said he would take his leave, Vanyusha did not move. Ivone took a deep breath. Her hands fell to her front, clasped as she spoke.

"Ah, yes. My apologies. I traveled far to get here. And, since I seemed to be the only one here, I thought I might make an early night of it."

The room was large. Upon entering, one saw a large bed, draped and canopied with gauzy materials and plush with bedding. To the right of the room was the vanity at which Ivone had sat and a wardrobe. To the left of the entrance lay the small chest of drawers upon which Vanyusha had placed the "gifts."

"Though it is a little unorthodox to entertain in one's room dressed for bed, I ... I think we may as well begin this blind date." The sooner it was begun, the sooner it would be over. Ivone gestured to her right.

On that side of the room was a fireplace, two chairs, a love seat, and a pair of double doors that led to a balcony overlooking the sea. A cheery little fire crackled in the fireplace. The doors to the patio were open, allowing a soft breeze off the sea to fill the room and make the fire dance. Too, one could hear the "shh shh" sound of the waves as they washed upon the white, sandy beach. Outside was not too cold, but chill enough that the fire was needed to drive the chill from the room.

"Please, have a seat. You must have traveled at least as far as I. Was it a pleasant journey?" Ivone moved to the tassled room that hung near the door to ring for beverages and a light repast, before moving toward one of the chairs. Assuming, of course, that such a creature as she'd been saddled with actually ate food. And, if it didn't... Ivone drove the thought from her mind. No, better not to think about possibilities.
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 am

"My journey proceeded smoothly enough, though it was not without complications," Vanyusha said as he sat down on the chair nearest to the balcony and folded his clawed hands on his lap. "As you might imagine, arranging transportation is not simple for someone of my nature, so most of my trip was on foot. Traversing the wilderness on one's own unfortunately does not make for a timely arrival, but my knowledge of the terrain allowed me to manage."

Truthfully, he likely would have never found the villa had Eltana not sent him to assassinate a business rival in Keltaris years ago. He hadn't remained in the city long enough to learn its layout, but he recalled most of the route he had taken there throughout his journey. Perhaps it would have been wise to scout the area for nice restaurants and sights before arriving at the villa, but he had been late enough as it was. Wandering around a city with his appearance likely would have gone badly, as well.

He glanced over at the balcony, his eyes resting on the moonlight ocean. Though he understood most would consider such a sight beautifully romantic, it held no meaning for him. What was beautiful about a body of water reflecting the moon? Even the room's comforts were wasted on him: the crackling fire did not warm his bones, nor did the breeze refresh him as it should. Everything about it felt so hollow, so far away. But strangely a faint familiarity accompanied his uncertainty, almost like catching a glimpse of sunlight from the depths of his cave. Maybe it would return to him as the date went on, just as he remembered the route to Keltaris as he wandered through the forest.

But enough of that, he was getting sidetracked. Ivone had decided to start the date, so it was time to start gathering data on romantic bonding emotions.

"Before we begin, I must confess that I am not familiar with standard dating procedures. If some of my behavior strikes you as odd, please understand it is not my intention to offend." Vanyusha paused, glancing over at the gifts resting on the dresser. As far as he remembered, no one had ever told him it was right to bring gifts for a date, but something in the back of his mind had told him to. But she didn't seem to like them - she'd only given him a brief thank-you without even looking them over. He thought women enjoyed consuming food and smelling flora. "I noticed you weren't too receptive to my gifts. Did I make a mistake?"

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:21 am

Ivone took the chair opposite him, perching on the edge of the chair as was proper. She sat demurely and waited for him to finish speaking. Her dark-blonde hair fell around her shoulders and down her back, pushed back from her face by a slim golden band. His words brought many questions to mind, but how to broach them?

Ivone looked at him, eyebrows raised as he began with "before we begin..."

"Oh, I am so sorry." She looked genuinely distressed that she might have offended him in some way, but also realized he was asking for coaching.

"Your thoughtfulness in bringing a gift is greatly appreciated. It is true, a lady does like to receive a small token from her partner and it is not an uncommon practice where I come from. Usually, the tokens are fresh flowers, such as lilies, roses, or other sweet smelling things. The mushrooms and lichen are interesting, but are more sharply pungent than sweet smelling. Instead of a ... raw fish, one might bring a small box of sweet candies."

Ivone paused in thought for a moment. "Though, I suppose that one's culture might define the type of tokens considered appropriate for the occasion."
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 am

Vanyusha tilted his head as Ivone corrected his misconceptions about courtship. Women preferring sweet-smelling flowers made sense, but her comments about candy seemed illogical. He had never dwelt much on food since he did not need to eat, but he remembered hearing that confectioneries resulted in weight gain and dental deterioration. Why would one give one's partner such a harmful gift? Certainly it had a pleasant taste, but it nevertheless struck him as detrimental to the dating process. A healthy alternative seemed more logical since it would show appreciation for one's partner's well-being. But that was unimportant, and he was sure Ivone knew more about the matter than himself.

“If that is the case, I must have made an extraordinarily poor first impression. My apologies,” he said after a short pause. This was unfamiliar territory for him, so he anticipated similar missteps throughout the evening. Acknowledging his mistakes and offering to alter his behavior would increase his chances at collecting useful information on romantic emotions. As strange as it all seemed, he had nothing to gain from resisting. He would play along as best he could and hope for the best.

Still, it couldn't hurt to take some initiative – in small steps.

“Perhaps starting with formal introductions would be appropriate? The invitation I received bore only your name and the villa's location. Again, please do not hesitate to stop me if you deem my behavior unacceptable.”

He would let her begin, then listen carefully and note their similarities for his response. If this research was to truly succeed, they needed to find common ground.

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:11 am

"Oh my, no. You are certainly quite different from anyone I have met before. As I mentioned, I suspect one's culture and upbringing must naturally influence how one approaches a first date. I was afraid you thought me rude for not immediately taking them." Ivone looked down at her hands, which were clasped lightly in her lap.

"Oh..., I suppose I am remiss once more. I have actually only dated two people, one of whom became my husband. The other ... became more of a friend and business associate. So, yes, introductions are appropriate." Ivone looked amused.

"Though, our approach is certainly unorthodox. I suppose that is to be expected as well, considering the source of the meeting." Still retaining a pleasant, little smile, Ivone's gaze settled on the two eye holes of the mask. There had been a flicker of gold there. Were his eyes golden colored? What what he exactly? He was certainly unsettling and Ivone was maintaining a polite facade because to do so was so ingrained.

Ivone gracefully stood from the chair and stepped toward Vanyusha. She held out her right hand with the palm facing toward the floor. With her left she clasped the skirt of her nightgown. Ivone then curtsied, head bowed slightly.

"Mr. Vanyusha, it is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Ivone Malatrast of Marn."
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:19 am

Vanyusha stood and slowly bowed in response, his body seeming to resist bending itself. Noticing her hand when he straightened, he hesitated for a moment, then took it in his own and gave her a bizarre, almost mechanical handshake. "Certainly the pleasure is mine, Miss Malatrast. You may simply address me by name if you wish - I cannot recall ever having been a 'mister' before."

Her introduction, though brief, was enlightening. She had been married? Presumably she and her husband had separated since she didn't strike him as the type to have an affair. He understood that most societies frowned on more than one partner, and someone of her refinement wouldn't commit such a taboo. Procreating with more than one partner seemed logical to continue the species, but no doubt mortal emotions like love and jealousy interfered with that. But why would such emotions exist in the first place if they limited a race's potential growth? This warranted further study.

He sat down again. "You are from Marn? I lived near there for some time myself. I obviously did not interact much with the populace, but I enjoyed the scenery, perhaps the forest most of all."

Technically he still had a cave near Marn, but Ivone didn't need to know that. Speaking of which, he hoped Syrathan was keeping watch over the cave while he was away. He could do without a villager stumbling upon his laboratory and alerting the authorities.

"I am afraid I do not have much to share about myself. I have been alive for centuries, but there were times when I would lose consciousness for decades. I do not remember much about my life - details mix and fade as the years go on." He paused in thought, deciding to omit his study of emotions. If he let her in on his research, his current experiment would be ruined. "I spend most of my time wandering the land and meeting the occasional traveler."

Now it was time to fish for more information. "You operate a business? I recall you mentioned that you had a business associate."

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 am

Ivone blinked as Vanyusha shook her hand as if he were trying to lift the side of a cart with one of those gnomish contracptions. "Yes, as you wish Mr... " Ivone corrected herself, "... Vanyusha." She smiled at him winsomely.

Ivone took her seat, carefully smoothing out the skirt of her nightgown and wrap. "Yes, I was born there." She looked at Vanyusha with an amused expression. "No, I suspect you may have caused more than a little upset had you done so."

Ivone's color blanched a little as Vanyusha revealed more of himself. Anything that had been alive for more than 200 years was obviously some kind of magical creature like Lord Belatucadrus was claimed to be. But, then, the thought of living so long. He probably had few or no peers.

"It sounds a little lonely." Ivone clasped her hands and tilted her head. Was there something more this frightening looking creature?

"Oh, yes. Home decor, cosmetics, and toiletries made from beeswax and florals. It really just a hobby, but it is creative and keeps me occupied."
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:53 am

"I have always been scientifically inclined, but the creative arts are respectable nonetheless. A close associate of mine has a talent for clothing and cosmetics. Though I do not understand the appeal, I cannot deny it is a popular field."

Vanyusha thought back to his old master. He supposed he was still technically under Eltana's control, but he hadn't spared a thought for him since beginning his journey with Kaevad and Syrathan. No doubt he was furious with him for his sudden absence. Eltana had been a useful ally over the years, but he couldn't say that he missed being around him. Syrathan was his only real companion these days, but he was an easily replacable tool. Perhaps it was a lonely existence as Ivone said, but having too many people around would only interfere with his experiments.

But he could not deny there was something... comforting about sitting and talking with Ivone. Spending an evening discussing life with a woman seemed familiar to him. Had he conducted such an experiment before? No, he would have remembered such an atypical test. This feeling was reminiscient of the sensation he felt when he held that child in Shim before sacrificing it. Were they related? He needed an explanation.

"I suppose you could say it is a lonely existence," he said. "People are rather alien to me. I try my best to understand them, but I can never grasp the intricacies of their minds. I feel as though I should understand. Their behavior is familiar but at the same time so far away. Perhaps I understood them once, but I cannot remember. Though I suppose that is irrelevant: as I said, interaction is difficult thanks to my appearance."

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 am

Well, she did not expect him to gush over her ability to create nice smelling things. His clinical reply was amusing, though. The unusual 'man' fell silent for a moment. Ivone was unsure whether he'd finished speaking or not. He gave no common physical cues. Before she took in a breath to speak, though, he resumed.

Perhaps it was her own loneliness and loss, but she suddenly felt bad for him. She lifted her hand and pressed her fist against her chest, at her heart. Tears welled in her eyes, sparkling in the firelight. Ivone looked toward the fire in an attempt to get her emotions under control.

"You aren't alone. I would say that noone truly understands the thoughts, feelings, and actions of another. Like you say, sometimes we are given glimpses and insight, but I think it is time that allows for the most understanding of another. The longer you spend with someone, the more you learn about them, but even then, they can surprise you."

Ivone bowed her head and curved her index finger to touch below her eyes, surreptitiously blotting the tears that threatened to spill. "Mm..." Ivone cleared her throat in a very petite and lady-like way, "... yes, I can see where that might be the case. Your appearance could be considered intimidating."
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vanyusha
Citizen

Post by Vanyusha » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 am

A rather interesting take on the matter, but one he could not accept. Everything in existence possesses certain characteristics, so by understanding these traits one should logically be able to analyze anything down to the most minute detail. Mortals are separated into groups such as dwarves and elves based on physical qualities, and their culture and upbringing mold their personalities. Most gnomes for example have a fondness for machinery and tinkering, and dwarves excel in blacksmithing and warfare. Some would call these stereotypes, but all stereotypes have a degree of truth in them. Very few flow against the current, and even then they cannot fully divorce themselves from their predetermined nature.

All existence follows a pattern, and he had all the time in the world to unravel it.

Vanyusha rose again and walked toward the patio. Stopping at the doors, he stared out at the ocean once more, fixated on the water's gentle movement. All tides flow in a certain fashion - they do not go backwards on a whim. There are no surprises in nature, so why should it be any different for people? Creatures are driven by their instincts. They exist solely to procreate and continue their race. Emotions both aid and disrupt the process, their very existence a paradox. Love unites individuals for procreation, yet hate can drive them apart.

A mother can sit helplessly as an intruder immolates her baby in front of her. Fear thwarts species preservation.

A father could...

The ocean turned to fire before his eyes. Within the fire stood several figures, blinded and mutilated, their tongues rent from their mouths. He saw his own mask within the flames, looming over the men as the fire tore their flesh apart. Through the fire he saw their melting faces. He remembered the seared flesh, the medley of cries and screaming, the sea of hands digging into naked bodies. He had watched them die. No, more than that - he had arranged their execution in the first place. They were a liability to his plans so they had to be eliminated.

But what had he been planning? Why would he sacrifice them? It wasn't to study their reaction to death. Deep down he knew that. These deaths were not like the others he'd caused.

He stepped back.

Moments ago, he had been thinking of parents. Mothers failing their children.

A female's voice: You're a damn disgrace. You ruined my life. They're your fucking problem now.

Children wailed. A young man sat on a bed with his arms around them, head lowered. He had tears in his eyes.

The man's: You're my world.

He watched as the men were torn apart, face hidden behind a mask.

His own: You're nothing to me.

Vanyusha stumbled backwards, rapidly heading for the door. He pressed his back against it and raised his claws, looking down at them. They were flesh and bone once. How had this happened? This mask, this robe... he hadn't always had them. The realization sank in. Long ago, he was that young man. Those men were once his children. He had them tortured and killed, then transformed shortly afterward. That mother had sickened him because her failure reminded him of his own.

This epiphany happened before. Why didn't he remember this until now? What was purging his memories?

He sank to the floor. "Y-You may want to leave."

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Ivone watched as Vanyusha walked to the patio and paused to look out. Suddenly, without seeming cause, he stumbled backwards and moved toward the door.

Ivone gasped, placing a hand on her chest. She stood, a look of confusion on her face. She was afraid and concerned, all at the same time. The gloved hands lifted and seemed more claw like as she stared down at them.

"Y-You may want to leave."

He was blocking the door. As for escaping from the patio, she was up at least one floor, if not two, ostensibly for her safety.

The light from the fireplace was gentle, casting shadows in the far corners of the room. Candles offered additional lighting, but the main light switch was by the door. Was he going to hurt her? Of course he would. Wasn't he some monster made of magic? The bed stand...
in it was a knife with a silver coating. Ivone wasn't sure if it would do any good, but it was there and she could run for the stand if he tried to hurt her.

"What's wrong?" Her question was low. Her eyes were wide. "How can I help you?" She was afraid, but she also had something she needed to do before she died. She couldn't die now, so she had to talk her way out of whatever was happening.
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker