Blind Dates: Nasku and Metarie

For fun roleplaying in non-canon settings that do not influence the real settings or characters.
Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Blind Dates: Nasku and Metarie

Post by Metarie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 am

As a Descendant, certain duties must be performed: birthdays, weddings, certain parties, Founder's Day parades, and the inevitable matchmaking scenarios.

As an eligible bachelorette with a Descendant pedigree, the latter were hard to avoid. Two weeks' prior, Ree had received the summons she was to meet with Nasku Oslun. Ree responded that she was no longer eligible, having obviously begun dating Captain Smithson, but that answer was not given much consideration.

The response she received was couched in niceties. But, the message was clear : while the Captain was the epitome of a Marnian citizen and from a fine, Synevive family, Ree must at least give the opportunity to meet with a Descendant family member. Given that the member in question was related to Cam's boss, Ree thought it prudent to at least go. Then, she could explain to Nasku in person that she was not looking and was dating someone.

Embarrassment and anger had flooded Ree when Cam let her know that he'd been summoned before a few Descendant elders and given the same message she had received in the reply. You're good, but not good enough - others get first tries. As if she were some brood mare! Regardless, the day had come and so had the time.

Ree dressed nicely, but did not go for the fripperies and fashions of the day. She wore a long tunic that hugged her frame before flaring slightly at the hips, leggings, and boots - things she would normally wear on her days off. If Nasku Oslun did not care for it that would be his problem. She was a first generation Descendant and did these things because it was her duty to do so.

The pair were to meet at the Memorial Park gazebo, overlooking Memorial Lake. The weather was fine and warm. They could take a boat out on to the water and talk there. Ree had, as was expected, a picnic lunch for them and a bottle of wine. This they could share in the boat or on the shore. Holding the basket in front of her, Ree waited for Nasku to arrive and thought about what she knew of him.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Nasku
Citizen
Name: Nasku Oslun

Re: Blind Dates: Nasku and Metarie

Post by Nasku » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:26 pm

It wasn’t a blind date as such. Nasku knew very well whom he was meeting for this date, but that didn’t change the fact that he had rarely ever had any chance to make Metarie Sehkhara’s acquaintance. He had seen her from afar and knew that she was a doctor at the Marn Hospital but nothing much else. So far, he hadn’t had any reason either to set a spy on her.

He had contemplated doing exactly that so he would at least know a little about the woman he was supposed to woe, but on second thought, he had figured that it would be easier to just let his charm do the deed and win her over that way. Now he was wondering whether he shouldn’t at least have tried to sniff out what her favourite flowers were.

Sighing, Nasku just grabbed a bouquet and paid the vendor without really paying attention what kind of flowers they were. He needed to hurry as he didn’t want to be late. It would not do for a gentleman to keep a lady waiting, and as a Descendant, Metarie most definitely was a lady not to be left waiting. If nothing else came of this rendez-vous then at least they would finally have made each other’s acquaintance properly if not quite appropriately.

Of course, it was not a secret either that Miss Sehkhara was somewhat involved with a certain guardsman, which made him wonder why exactly she had agreed to it. Maybe she had had as much choice in the matter as he had. Which was to say, none at all. As the black sheep of the family, they had tried on more than one occasion to set him up with someone of their choice which would then hopefully result in him miraculously not being… well… him.

The location for the date had at least been well chosen, and Nasku couldn’t say that it wasn’t romantic for someone trying, albeit forcefully, to make two people fall madly in love with each other.
Nasku quickened his step as soon as he caught sight of the woman, worried that he might be late after all but from the looks of it, she had only just arrived herself. Slightly relieved, he measured his pace a little again, while switching the bouquet from hand to hand to pull his cuffs into place and fiddle a little with his loose tied puff tie. Why, he didn’t know. He was always impeccably dressed and this occasion was no different. On the contrary. If anything called for proper attire, this would be it.

“Lady Sehkhara,” he greeted her as soon as he arrived, bowing as he offered the flowers to her. “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I hope I have not kept you waiting. It was not my intention.” He briefly let his eyes roam over her, curious as to why she had chosen to dress in leggings rather than a dress but he wasn’t judging. Not at all. They accented her legs and figure in general in a way a dress simply could not.

The basket in her hands however was not such a pleasant sight. “May I?” he asked gently, motioning for the offensive object in question. It would not do for her to carry the probably heavy basket while he would idly stroll next to her. After all, this was supposed to be a date, so he would try and make this as pleasant for her as possible.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 am

What Ree knew of Nasku was little: attending the same functions, but not within the same circles and bits and pieces from the Daily Tattler, taken with a grain of salt, that said he was an Oslun only because his mother was married to Thomnus Oslun. Rumors had it Nasku was only half-human and Vaiselle Oslun had never asserted anyone other than Thomnus was the father.

Such circumstances were not unusual to say the least, but Metarie really did not care about how others were judged by society-at- large. Her opinions were her own and were formed based on her interactions and impressions with the individual. An individual’s actions spoke volumes. Could she be fooled? Of course. Metarie was not omniscient. Simply put, she had neither preconceived notions nor expectations.

“Lady Sehkhara…” Ree turned to face Nasku. Sunlight caught the auburn in her hair, setting the strands alight with copper, red, brown, and gold. Ree’s eyes were dark green, flecked with gold. Her ears tapered into points as all elf ears did, but her face was not the harsh lines and angles one would associate with an elf. She was taller than the average human woman with a slim, yet feminine build. Though she did not know it, in Marn Metarie was considered the epitome of elfin beauty. Ree smiled at Nasku and bowed slightly from her waist. Her right hand lifted to cover her heart,

“Good afternoon and well met, Lord Oslun. Please, may we dispense with the formalities? I prefer Metarie or Doctor Sehkhara.”
Taking the bouquet, she smelled the flowers. “Thank you, they are lovely. Oh… certainly.” Nasku retrieved the basket from her.

“Shall we have our picnic on the green or would you prefer we use the boat to find another spot?”
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:50 pm

She really didn’t need clothes to make herself look beautiful, unlike so many other women in Marn. Metarie was naturally beautiful and Nasku caught himself smiling more than was strictly necessary for the bout of conversation they’d had.

Reining in his smile a little, he replied: “I’d prefer on the boat if you do not mind.” Switching the basket to his right hand, he offered his left arm to the woman and motioned towards the shore of the lake. “I took the liberty of providing a boat for us in case it would be to your liking.” It would also provide them with a little bit more privacy than sitting out in the green where just about anyone could accidentally stumble across them.

Leading his date down the grass towards the boat, he carefully set the basket into it before helping Metarie get in, not that she needed the help but it was the gentlemanly thing to do. As soon as they were both settled, he took up the oars and began rowing them out onto the lake.

Usually the women he went out with were chatty enough to quickly jump into a sort of conversation themselves, even if it was just idle chatter to fill the silence, or he enjoyed watching them squirm because they were too nervous to say anything at all and didn’t know what to do with themselves. Metarie was a different matter, but he still rowed in silence to gauge her attitude.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:58 am

Ree had the grace to blush at Nasku's broad smile. She shook her head when he asked if she minded taking the boat and slipped her arm through his, allowing him to take the lead. At the boat, she held his hand as she stepped into the boat and settled onto one of the plank seats. Pulling the picnic basket toward her, she settled it in the middle of boat.

The boat swayed slightly as Nasku took his seat. Water splashed gently. A soft breeze tilted the cat tail reeds and made little ripples across the surface. A gentle smile curved her lips as she inhaled the scents and listened to the soft sounds around them. Turning her attention back to Nasku, she let her gaze rest on him. The smile remained.

"It's beautiful." An observation.

Ree was used to spending time alone, studying on new medical techniques or drawing sketches. Mostly, though, she spent her time helping others with her skills. On her off days she would visit the Shanty Town and provide care to those who could not or would not go to the hospital for care. Or, she would visit the Asylum to offer care to those housed there. She was more comfortable asking questions to determine what hurt and how thing happened, than making small talk. She was not, however, uncomfortable with the silence that lay between them. On the contrary, she was content to enjoy the sun and the company.

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:00 pm

“I’m glad you think so,” Nasku replied. He even had to agree with Metarie. The scenery really was beautiful and he couldn’t help but think that the spot had been well chosen for a date. He would have to remember this for future reference.

The silence between them stretched but it felt in no way awkward to him. She seemed to be used to not talking much or spending time on her own, just like Nasku himself. He had sometimes wondered what this date would bring but he hadn’t expected to feel almost relieved at not having to make small talk.

However, the quiet could not last forever either and since she seemed content with not talking, he felt pretty sure that there wasn’t much he could rattle her with. Thus going down the road of honesty would be the best path, which was one of the reasons he had wanted to avoid an audience.

“I apologise for the blunt delivery, but I do wonder what made you agree to this date?” His tone suggested honest curiosity without a trace of judgement or malice or anything else generally hidden behind such a seemingly innocent question. Nasku may be an upper-class Marnian and he may play their games well, but he was not fond of their games where his own persona was concerned. It was the need for some clarity in this whole affair that had made him decide to openly ask the question which had been nagging at him ever since the rendez-vous had been set up. He could of course have waited a little longer before jumping in with both feet but why dillydally around something they both knew needed to be talked about. After all, this was not as blind a date as it should have technically been. If the rumours could be trusted.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 am

“I apologise for the blunt delivery, but I do wonder what made you agree to this date?”

Ree had been looking off to the side, a slight smile on her lips, and her hands clasped at her knees. When Nasku asked his question, she turned her head to him. At the finished of the question, she gave a small laugh couched in a smile.

"I don't mind. I'm much better with straight-forward conversation. I'm afraid the machinations of politics are beyond me." Ree shifted slightly, tucking her legs to the side and resting her hands in her lap.

"The honest answer is that until I am married, I am expected to do my duty as a Descendant. This includes marriage mart meetings such as this one. " Ree shook her head. "You would think, as the last remaining first generation Descendant I would be allowed to choose my own mate, but alas..." Ree shook her head.

"And you?"

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Nasku was pleased that his direct manner hadn’t hit the wrong nerve. Quite on the contrary, she seemed to be rather more appreciate of such directness than the fancy words upper-class Marnians liked to cloak themselves. Not that he wasn’t one of them from time to time and it definitely had its advantages, but in this case, it really did not.

“Me? I suffer from a similar case of others thinking they know what is best for my love life. Being a bachelor is not quite what my family wants me to remain, though so far I haven’t had anything to complain about myself. Though it seems that neither of us gets a lot of say in these matters for the time being.”

The man shook his head with a small smile. He didn’t much care for what his family thought about his life style but he never failed to be amused by how pressed they were to see him married off. Yet, they had never resorted to such means before. It was still amusing though and he couldn’t say he minded this specific try at match making.

“You may not be married yet, but aren’t you in firm hands nonetheless?”

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Now, that particular question hit a sore spot, though she strove to keep the emotions from playing across her features.

Ree shook her head. "I am not spoken for."

And, that was a true enough statement. Cam had specific ideas about duty, right and wrong, and everything in between. Although the Tattler had made a big deal of their being seen together, Cam had not officially asked her to be his partner. They were just ... dating, if it could even be called that.

Truth be told, the pair had kissed once and had made a tentative attempt to navigate the complexities of a relationship. Add to it that Ree was substantially older, a Descendant, and an elf - nothing that bothered Cam specifically, but they were still hurdles.

Then, their work caused them to drift apart. Being Captain and Doctor required a substantial amount of time and really never allowed for time off. If you were the Captain of the Guards, you didn't stop being the Captain just because you weren't on duty. The same applied to her. The blind date summons finally created a rift too big for them to cross. It was just too much for such a fragile relationship to withstand. In a very UN-feel good moment, the pair decided, consensually, to let it go and see how things went. If they were meant to be, they would come back together. If not, they wouldn't. She couldn't speak for Cam, but she had respected and admired him for so long, that it had hurt her greatly. In the weeks that followed between the summons and now, he had not come to her and she had not gone to him. Perhaps, they were both too proud.

So, Ree tried not to let it show, but because she was not good at playing games, it probably showed in the self-deprecating smile that flashed as she spoke. She decided to be clear so Nasku would not be required to ask.

"Dating is complicated for the Captain and me. I cannot stop being Doctor Sehkhara, because that is who I am. Camulous cannot stop being the Captain, either. We have been friends for over 13 years. The more romantic side of things had only just began, but we found it could not withstand the demands upon us. We decided to take a break from the stress attempting to date was creating to our relationship."

Ree looked at Nasku directly. "I hope you understand that this meeting does not automatically mean we are a pair. I took the meeting to mean that two people who may suit each other should meet and see where things go from there."

In other words, she would have to be won and winning wouldn't be easy. "Out of curiosity, does my age or being an Elf cause problems for you?" It had caused problems for Ree with Cam. One of the things holding her back was the knowledge that she would outlive Cam and that did not seem fair.

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Maybe he should stick to a no-bullshit-routine with Metarie. It seemed to go down better with the woman than with any other he had met before and he wasn’t really keen on playing games with someone like her. First of, if she really wasn’t in firm hands anymore, she could be quite a match – and no matter how much he resented his family for constantly trying to set him up, he couldn’t deny the fact that she would be a good match. Second, she was beautiful, and Nasku had always had a weakness for pretty things, whether human or other. Beauty came in many forms and he did not much care for nitpicking.

The news that she was not spoken for at all, or not anymore, was rather surprising and Nasku couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow at this before a warm smile smoothed over his features again. With anyone else he might have considered her smile to be a means to an end but Metarie seemed far too honest for this sort of gender game and it made her all the more adorable.

However, no matter how stunning he thought she was, he refrained from going down the easy lane with her and her next statement made it clear that she wouldn’t agree to the easy flirting a lot of girls fell for. Plus, he really needed to watch his step before he actually became truly interested in her. Such a road could be a far too complicated one.

“In all honesty? No. Neither your age nor the fact that you are an elf bother me. Though it might, most likely would bother me later in life.” Nasku met Metarie’s gaze, a thoughtful expression on his face as he cocked his head lightly to the side, as much as a gesture of habit as to get the hair out of his eyes. “I mean, I’m not sure I couldn’t help but feel bitter at the fact that you – as an elf – might have to live through my death and then continue living with the loss.”

Frowning briefly at his own words, Nasku cleared his throat and distracted himself by fastening the oars so they wouldn’t lose them by chance. They had now arrived almost exactly in the middle of the lake, which was a spot fairly visible from everywhere but at least they could not be spied on too easily. Not that this fact bothered him at the moment. What did bother him however was the weird notion that he might actually have meant what he had just told Metarie.

Putting the easy smile back on his face, he returned his attention to the woman opposite him. “Do not trouble yourself too much, Metarie. If it makes you feel better, I merely hoped to gain an admirable acquaintance from this meeting and nothing more. I was under the impression you were spoken for and thus I would never have behaved inappropriately towards you. And even though I now know that I was mistaken, I would still not want to assume anything merely because this meeting has been arranged under the veil of a blind date.”

And he really wouldn’t. He was first and foremost a gentleman and when the lady said no, it meant no in his books. However, it would not keep him from at least slipping in a compliment here or there. After all, the day was still young and they had only barely started talking.

“Can I offer you a beverage?” Nasku asked, motioning for the basket, at the same time thus asking permission to open it in order to serve her.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:42 am

Ree smiled at his response. "I appreciate your honesty, though I suspect at your age our lifespans might just be a little closer than you think. Besides, sad though it is, at least one of a married couple tends to survive the other." Ree paused, then lifted her fingers to her mouth as she laughed a her self, a little self-consciously. "I sound like I am giving a lecture to an intern. Sorry." She thought his frown was because of her impromptu speach.

Ree liked his easy-going nature. She didn't feel awkward in the least and that was a pleasant change. She also appreciated that he was being polite, but not overly so. He did not seem to have her placed on a "Descendant" pedestal, perhaps because of his own family's history. Ree had the grace to blush once more.

"That came out harsher than I'd intended. I didn't mean to imply you'd be anything less than a gentleman. I hope you can forgive me."

Ree brightened up and smiled. "I think that is my line!" A teasing gleam in her eye showed she was not always so serious.

"I brought a bottle of my favorite Elvish white and a little bit of this and that from my garden and the market... fresh fruit, vegetables, and a some sandwiches. I wasn't sure what you'd like. I thought we could drop the bottle in the water to keep it cool. See?" She had fashioned a little mesh net with bobbles to keep the net floating and keep the neck of the bottle out of the water.

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:27 pm

“There is nothing to ask forgiveness for, my Lady,” Nasku replied with a smile, though not without a twinkle in his eye, especially since she had asked him to dispense with such formalities.

He laughed when she joked however, assuming that despite the seriousness of the topic, neither of them was holding a grudge against the other for perhaps phrasing one or the other thing differently than their current situation might expect.

“Ah that is a wonderful idea!” Nasku exclaimed when Metarie slipped the bottle into the water. “Cool wine has such a refreshing taste. Though I thought I was the one supposed to spoil you and now look at you, spoiling me.” He couldn’t help but shake his head with another smile. Somehow it was much easier to talk to Metarie than he thought, even if he wasn’t quite sure why he had expected it to be a little difficult to make conversation with her. Maybe the reason was their different backgrounds?

“I am easy to please as far as food goes and I am willing to try anything once.” He looked at her briefly – she really was radiant when she smiled! – before taking a curious peek into the basket. You have made an excellent choice in bringing a little something of everything. And I would very much be interested in trying something from your own garden. Do you grow a lot of plants?”

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 am

Ree gave a thoughtful look, tip of finger on chin, head tilted slightly, and gaze off to the side, "You know..."

Ree focused her gaze fully on Nasku accompanied by a soft smile. "I think spoiling works best when it goes both ways." She held his gaze for a moment longer, before moving onto the basket.

Ree grinned and reached into the basket, pulling out a linen cloth. This she spread over the plank between them. Next, she began laying out plates, cutlery, and food.

"Several vegetables and many herbs. As part of my profession, I make tisanes and salves and prefer to use fresh herbs. The rest I purchased at the market." A garden salad with fresh greens, bell peppers, and olives seasoned with a raspberry vinagrette, farm fresh cheese slices, and a cucumber dill sandwich lay on the plates. Ree lifted two wine glasses and held them out to Nasku.

"If you'd do the honors?"

Nasku
Citizen

Post by Nasku » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am

“With pleasure!” Nasku took the glasses from Metarie, settling them easily between the fingers of his left hand before lifting the bottle out of its net. Of course it had played out well in his mind before he realised that there was a cork but he should be able to pop that without too much fuss, even with just one hand.

Settling the bottle between his knees, he wrapped his hand partially around the neck of the bottle and partially around the cork, gently working the latter until it easily slipped out without any wine being spilled. He would quite simply ignore the fact that his pants were now a little wet from where the bottle had been resting against the cloth. Instead, he poured the wine into the glasses and put the cork back in its hole and the bottle back in its net before offering one of the glasses to Metarie.

“Here you go, my Lady,” he said with a smile. He simply couldn’t help it. She had specifically asked to call her by her first name but the title, which he didn’t see as a title per se rather than a polite way of addressing a woman, kept slipping out. And much to his horror, in the face of this beautiful woman, he actually blushed at the mishap. How very embarrassing!

“To you, my dear Metarie. To your health, to your beauty and to the exquisite pleasure of your company! It is an honour to have finally made your acquaintance.” He looked at her while he raised his glass in a toast to her, a smile playing around the corners of his lips. Nasku could still feel the slight heat of the blush tainting his cheeks but he chose to ignore that fact in favour of admiring the features of her face and the shine of her eyes.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 am

Ree turned her head a little and looked at Nasku from the corner of her eye as he profusely complimented her. She was smiling in that little way that women do when they are pleased and amused.

"And to you, Nasku. To new friends!" Ree inclined her head and touched her glass to Nasku's. The glasses made a pleasant sound as they touched.

After taking a sip from her glass, Ree reached for a plate and held it out for Nasku, still smiling.

"Let's eat before we attract unwanted guests. There will be plenty of time for talking afterward."