Knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Communicate with players you are currently writing with here.
You should check your plot discussion topics regularly.
Alferic
Outsider
Name: Alferic
Race: Human

Knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Post by Alferic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Availability: Open to anyone interested
Posting Speed: Standard speed is once a day with a maximum 3 day wait.
Characters Involved: Alferic Rasikova and Metarie Sehkhara
Thread starting date: Summer/Autumn 122PW.
Summary: Alferic happens by chance to obtain information that might help the authorities discover who was behind the bombing of the gala. But will he live to pass this information on?

Other Notes: Isabella, the girl of Alferic’s dreams, was killed in the bombing.

Ivone
Citizen
Name: Ivone Malatrast

Re: Knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Post by Ivone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:13 pm

We definitely need to sort out some details on what he knows. Need to check with James, Jason, and Tovia to see if they have input as this knowledge affects their characters Gil, Trick, and Remeke.
"Forgive, sounds good.
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting."

Thread Tracker

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Sure, good idea.

I'm thinking that perhaps Alferic could possibly be deliberately set up to provide false information.

However, perhaps there are some who think it is genuine information and they try to kill him.

And during all this turmoil and intrigue, and for an element of unpredictability for the story, he finds out something further that may or may not be true, who's to say....!

By the way, I've amended Alferic's background history to say that he's training to be a guard but is struggling.

Gil Agathos
Outsider
Name: Gil Agathos

Post by Gil Agathos » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:19 pm

So long as the solution is plausible and consistent with the setting of Marn and existing plot details, I have no objections and am happy to assist.

For us to be able to properly work it into the scope of the existing plotlines we'll need to get more into the 'whats' and 'hows'.
As ease of reference for all of us, here are some handy links:

The primary bombing thread: http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3583
The gala thread bombing post: http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic ... 294#p41294
The wall thread bombing post: http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic ... 904#p41904
The 'Daily Tattler' covers the bombings: http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3626
City-wide curfew announced in the wake of the bombings: http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3650

To get things going, I think you'll need to start the brainstorming with rough examples of the kind of information you are thinking of (i.e what has Alferic found out), and potential scenarios as to how it was obtained (i.e how Alferic managed to come across the information).
I shall speak the truth with words of fire and thunder, and Marn's elite shall tremble at their sound

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:26 am

Brilliant, thanks Gil. I'll enjoy reading through these threads and then proposing possible ideas for discussion.

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:26 pm

As this is my first plot discussion, please bear with me as I don't know how much is agreed in advanced, is the end of the thread "set in stone" or is there some unpredictability as to how it finishes? Anyway, here's a couple of ideas to get the ball rolling:

Idea 1 – Genuine information

Although Renmeke has been careless enough in the past to voice concerns aloud, it seems to me that perhaps Trick may be the most likely character to unintentionally let slip some information due to her poor impulse control.

Trick has said in a PM to me that she wouldn't have much to do with a guard in training. However, if Alferic was off-duty and getting beaten to death in an alley somewhere she might step in to save him because she has a weakness for that sort of thing. Trick is also dangerously reckless and lives for excitement.

To thank her for coming to his aid Alferic buys her a few drinks as well as some purple flowers (!) and when discussing recent events she lets slip she delivered similar flowers on the night of the gala. Alferic happens to mention this to his superiors which eventually leads to the authorities wanting to bring her in for questioning. But will they manage to find her? Maybe Alferic even tips her off that they are coming for her?

Idea 2 – False information

The more conservative Paragon think that The Dragon Awakened have gone too far and try to tip off the authorities. However, their messenger is intercepted and killed by Trick before the information is passed on.

Alferic witnesses Trick carrying out this deed (but she doesn’t see him). As Trick had previously come to his aid, he doesn’t report her. If we assume that Alferic and Trick have “hit it off” then over the coming days/weeks they could develop a friendship (assuming either she doesn't find out that he's training to be a guard or, if she does, she likes the risk that their relationship entails!).

Later Alferic discovers that the messenger that was killed was from the Paragon. One night, after a few drinks, Alferic lets slip that he saw her kill the messenger and asks her why she did it. Perhaps she feeds him some false information but before he is able to pass it on he is attacked by Renmeke. Maybe Renmeke is concerned that Alferic knows too much and/or he dislikes the friendship that has built up between him and Trick. I’m open to the idea that the attack could prove to be fatal for Alferic. But does he manage to pass the false information on before he dies...? Or perhaps he doesn't die or pass the information on...?

Gil Agathos
Outsider
Name: Gil Agathos

Post by Gil Agathos » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Alferic wrote: I’m open to the idea that the attack could prove to be fatal for Alferic. But does he manage to pass the false information on before he dies...? Or perhaps he doesn't die or pass the information on...?
Something I feel I should point out, which builds upon the PM I sent you a small while back about 'how time passes in-game in comparision to the real world'

If you design your first RP to kill/incapacitate/place in a coma/or in some other way render the character unplayable, that's not particularly helpful to yourself or others.

Remember, 'present day' threads are often held up by the slow pace of other threads they are linked to: so if you place your character in an unplayable state, they will likely remain that way for a very long time. :)

On a similar note, with present day threads (especially involving the bombings), it is often best to think of narratives which occur over short periods of time (say 1-5 days) because otherwise you'll come across the hurdle of "Well, we need to know what happens in X thread also happening at this time before we can post" - which can put a thread on pause while waiting for some temporarily absent player to return to posting. (And don't worry, an RP that only takes 1-3 in-game days can still result in a lot of posts - see http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3081 for example)

Hopefully Remmeke (Katona) and Trick will stop by to share their thoughts on the proposed ideas soon
I shall speak the truth with words of fire and thunder, and Marn's elite shall tremble at their sound

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Sorry, I'm still trying to get my head around how this type of RP works. Thanks for your guidance. :)

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:39 pm

First we collaborate as writers. Then, we start writing in character, in the in character forums.
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Vicentius
Citizen
Name: Vicentius Morrington

Post by Vicentius » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:54 pm

On Wednesdays we drain the blood of virgin chickens, on Thursdays we annoint ourselves in the blood of said Chickens. Friday is poker night, of course.
A villain is in control. A villain is a mask of elegance and style, behind which, is a whirring and brilliant intelligence.

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm not sure what to make of that last post...?

Ivone
Citizen

Post by Ivone » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 pm

He was joking. Mostly. :P
"Forgive, sounds good.

Thread Tracker

Cristobal De Quijas
Citizen
Name: Cristobal De Quijas

Post by Cristobal De Quijas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 pm

You will find that we are an irreverent bunch at most times.
When in doubt, assume humour!

Although let's divert focus back to the purpose of the plot discussion thread: the plot.

Remmeke, Trick, your thoughts please?

Alferic
Outsider

Post by Alferic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:52 am

That's a relief...! :D

Katona
Staff
Name: Nashandra Katona

Post by Katona » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:40 am

Although Renmeke has been careless enough in the past to voice concerns aloud ...
Not sure what you mean? I don't think he'd be inclined to say anything to anyone about the going's on of his group. Unless you mean generally expressing skepticism towards the government's actions back before he was recruited.

I can't speak for Trick outright, but I highly doubt she'd say anything to anyone. It would be pretty well drilled into her that she shouldn't mention herself in relation to the events. Perhaps instead the information could come from someone who worked with Trick? Her boss or whoever?

As for Alferic and Trick becoming friends - the nature of that is her call, but Remmeke probably would keep an eye on it and potentially get rid of Alferic if it seemed like he was onto them. However, they all likely do have their own friends and social lives and so on, as it would be weird if they didn't.

Is that the kind of input you needed or something more?