Family Ties

Communicate with players you are currently writing with here.
You should check your plot discussion topics regularly.
Clarisse
Outsider
Name: Clarisse Dronne
Race: Human with hints of Fae

Re: Family Ties

Post by Clarisse » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 am

Believe I fixed it, last time I try doing that on my phone....
All the satisfaction I need... comes when I step out onstage and see the people. That's awesome. I love that.
~ Harry Connick, Jr.

Morveya Aris
Citizen
Name: Morveya Aris
Race: Human with Elf ancestry

Post by Morveya Aris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Should have clarified - The relative is sending Morveya into a seedier part of Marn, as part of the task. So, Clarrise is seen as a "chance meeting", someone who helped out when she didn't have to, at risk to herself, and gained some trust in doing so.

She then makes a logical choice to take into this part of town. At least, this is what the relative is hoping Morveya will conclude. Morveya has no knowledge the two are associated. So, it doesn't make her suspicious of the relative.

The relative then has someone to watch over Morveya -- both to protect her -- but also to potentially dispose of her, if she starts to understand too much. Probably the relative figures if it doesn't work out that way, then Clarisse can simply tail her.

Of course, the relative doesn't know about Alex and Kitan, and that there will be some additional pieces on the game board, so to speak. But that will likely increase her desire to have her own employee in the mix.

Kitan, thanks for making the logistics re Vanyusha more clear. And, was under a different impression as regards his power. Didn't read in enough detail.

Alex -- thanks for starting the thread. But, Kitan seemed to think the woods was inappropriate for the thread -- for reasons I still don't fully understand -- (I mean we are in "the woods," I think, once we ride out from Drifel's) but something to do with the location.

If that IS the case, let's shunt it back to the original thread -- but if not, keep the new one.

So, if not Vanyusha - we need to decide human thugs vs. some sort of creature. One whose bark (or physical aspect) is intentionally worse than its bite.

EDIT: I mistakenly thought Frug was Vanyusha -- it was him I hit up. So, Vanyusha has not been contacted, as yet.

Do we still want to at this stage-? It is sounding like npc is more optimal way to go with this?
If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame.

- "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" by Counting Crows

Kitan
Staff
Name: Kitan Valyra
Race: Fox Shifter

Post by Kitan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 pm

I wasn't sure how much more time we'd be spending in the woods is all. :) They work fine, now that I know more. My concern was we'd post about once each while our characters were still in the woods and spend the rest in Marn, which I now understand is not the case.

Yeah, NPCing this encounter seems to be the way to go, in the end.
The Dreaded App Assassin

Kitan
Staff

Post by Kitan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Sorry for the day of delay, I had some college apps to finish. I'll start posting now.
The Dreaded App Assassin

Morveya Aris
Citizen

Post by Morveya Aris » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 am

No problem. I'm not gonna get post in tonight after all, as it turns out!

Tomorrow for certain.

Clarisse, we three have a bit of a dialog we need to have first. Then we'll get that ambush going.

Clarisse
Outsider

Post by Clarisse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 am

not a problem ::waits in tree:: just give me a heads up when you want me to post again, not sure if were doing a post order or just when we feel like we need to post.
All the satisfaction I need... comes when I step out onstage and see the people. That's awesome. I love that.
~ Harry Connick, Jr.

Morveya Aris
Citizen

Post by Morveya Aris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 am

And sorry again for the delay! But there we are, finally.

Mud! And stress! This is what great drama is made of. ;)

Oh, and Alex, nice CCR quote at the start. Always liked that song.

Kitan
Staff

Post by Kitan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 am

D'awwwwww. XD This is going great. I did myself a huge favor with these delusions. If it ever gets hard to write, BAM delusion time.

Also, I suspect Morveya has an additonal motive to reveal her magic now. Suspicion is going to fall pretty heavily on a delusional shifter, so Morveya might go "No! Kitan isn't magic, I am!" to deflect attention from him to her. If she is feeling martyrish at the moment. XP I'm really taking the whole "people want to protect Kitan" thing for all it's worth in this thread.

Erm, I attach my usual disclaimer saying these are just ideas and I encourage you guys to come up with better stuff and use it without regrets. ^-^;

Clarrise, about the posting order, we go with the order we've got now (Alex-Kitan-Morveya) unless otherwise specified for purposes of plot and/or ease of posting. You'll jump in as soon as we make the summon show up, and then keep going once it comes back to your turn.

In other news, I'd like to make a motion to close the thread unless someone comes up for a really good reason why they need to be here. Four people will be plenty. :)
The Dreaded App Assassin

Morveya Aris
Citizen

Post by Morveya Aris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I like to play out these sort of situations as organically as possible.

Which is to say what Morveya will do next hinges entirely upon the reactions of Alex and Lurus.

I'd enjoy some sort of more extreme reaction from Lurus. After all, he's already evidenced some prejudice toward Kitan. Him going ape shit (eh, fox shit?) like this is enough to bring it out more strongly perhaps?

Perhaps while Morveya was running, Lurus was nocking an arrow, and taking aim on Kitan (more in reaction probably, than real malice) -- which Morveya unwittingly gets in the way of -- and Alex has to physically stop him from firing it? Or at least knock him aside enough, that it barely misses her head?

Thinking out loud again! But I have much for love tense, pitched scenes.

They are of course your personae Alex, so the call is yours.

EDIT: Oh, and agreed on the character count. I think four regulars (or, irregulars, depending how you reckon it ;)) is enough.

Though, I would like to leave it open for other local characters to cross paths with us transiently. Those sorts of meetings can be fun. And is something you never get to enjoy in "adventuring party" sorts of games.

Kitan
Staff

Post by Kitan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 pm

It'd be pretty strange for Clarrise not to jump down and start fighting if Morveya appeared to be in danger! That could also make an interesting introduction. Clarrise, if Alex agrees that jumping down to protect Morveya would be reasonable, we might work you in sooner than expected.

A whole bunch rides on your post, Alex *pressurepressurepressurepressure*

But really, no pressure. XP

Well... seeing as Kitan just yelled and fell over, I think the bow and arrow might be a little bit much. Or at least, actually firing it off would be. Pointing it at Kitan would be fine. Maybe read Lurus's app over and see how impulsive or levelheaded he is before deciding his exact course of action?
The Dreaded App Assassin

Alexandros
Outsider
Name: Alexandros Dragesus
Race: Human

Post by Alexandros » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:50 am

Thanks Morveya, I've always liked that song by CCR too.

I agree - Lurus wouldn't have gone through with it. He's a "to the letter of the law" sort of enforcer, but he's not without a soul.

That said, I couldn't help throwing a twist in there.

Also: I like associating posts, characters, and whatnot with music. I don't usually like country... But this last one seemed appropriate for my latest post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8b0EnR0Ags

I'm still unsure if it's kosher or appreciated when I post the links within my IC posts, so I thought I'd just mention them here in the OOC. Feel free to do the same if so inspired.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."
— William Somerset, Se7en

Morveya Aris
Citizen

Post by Morveya Aris » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Kitan wrote:It'd be pretty strange for Clarrise not to jump down and start fighting if Morveya appeared to be in danger!
Mmmmaybe. ;)

Clarisse has been instructed to intervene upon a particular event. One which will give her a little time to prepare her entrance. She can't be that close to us, right now. Being spotted following would spoil her whole ruse.

She is expecting a threat from outside the party -- not prepared for danger within it.

In the small time it took Lurus to pull up his bow and nock an arrow, I don't think it would have been possible to close the distance. Being that close would advertise "yes, I was following you." She's been instructed to avoid that at all costs.

Though it could have been one of those "ah, shit -- what do I do now?" sort of moments for her. If it was a choice between Morveya's possible death, and blowing her story.

Anyway, Alex, that was --- cleverly calamitous. ;)

And yes, it is fun to give the story a musical score! I don't generally mind if others want to preface with lyrics & links. Though, probably most appropriate at the start of a thread. Or at least the beginning of a new "chapter" in the same one.

Last, I hear you on country music. After I left California for Texas, I had to get used to hearing a lot more of it. It's generally not (far from) my favorite, but there are a few exceptions.

I'm awaiting the day I play a character wicked enough to justify "Hell on Heels" by Pistol Annies as a theme. Love that song.

Some covers of country songs are excellent. Dave Matthew's rendition of J. Cash's "Long Black Veil" comes to mind. So hauntingly tragic and beautiful!

Clarisse
Outsider

Post by Clarisse » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am

I keep meaning to post in here sooner but every time I remember I'm always tired or I'm in the middle of work or something XP.

Anyways chances are Clarisse would have gotten a bit edgy when she saw Lurus nock an arrow and thought about moving down but stayed when Alex intervened. Though since the horses ran away she could easily just shimmy down her tree and lead the horses back to the group saying "Hey I think these are yours, might want to hold on to them blah blah blah mindless banter." and come up with some story about how shes actually some wayward traveler on the road and could think of some reason to join with them.

That is one idea however if you wanted to bring her in earlier. If not I'm still fine with sitting out for a bit.
~ Harry Connick, Jr.

Morveya Aris
Citizen

Post by Morveya Aris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Clarisse, I have to apologize -- I've probably been remiss in not PMing you with detail about how you were contracted, the specifics of it, and whom you had the meeting with.

To be honest, I've been taking advantage of this travel portion to revise and affirm some things connected to the relative. Not to mention the rest of this tale.

In general though, so we're all on the same page --

Clarisse's #1 objective at this stage is to gain Morveya's trust. The relative knows Morveya has made the trip between Shim and Marn several times in her life, and expects she'll survive it this time, too. So "protection" isn't the first priority, yet. She is expecting Morveya will be making the trip with some company; company capable of offering protection themselves.

Of course, the relative would want you to protect her, if it became really needful. But at this stage, she doesn't expect Clarisse will be the only one there to do that. Unlike in Marn, where she plans Clarisse would be alone with her; Morveya's travel companions having gone home, or to their own business in the city.

EDIT: This probably still isn't clear -- I'm doing a terrible job of explaining! The incident that's coming is a set up -- there will be a specific attempt at Morveya that Clarisse will stop -- to insure an "Oh, you saved my life!" situation. Whereas if she's just fending off random threats from the wild, it might well not come out that way.

Kitan and Alex are both wrenches in the works (in different ways) the relative doesn't yet know of -- they will complicate matters for her. But give Clarisse added reason to have her job.

The horses are an idea -- I think that could work, and then stage the ambush just after. --Any thoughts from the other two?

Valyr
Outsider
Name: Drifel Valyra
Race: Dwarf

Post by Valyr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 am

Alright, I'm okay with the horses idea. Perhaps roleplay the inevitable encounter with Lurus first, then during the second post, rejoin the main body? Whatever works. I trust your judgement on the matter. :)

At any rate, if the horses bolted in her direction it would make sense for Clarrise to use them as an excuse to get close and more directly guard Morveya, so I'm okay with it.

EDIT: Erm, whoops, I fogot I was logged in as my dwarf. To clear up any lingering confusion, this is Kitan. ;)
Let us show them our hearts, and then show them THEIRS.