A Curious Troupe

Between Marn and Shim, along the Ofriyu Mar river, is a stretch of dense woodland known as the Virdara Woods.
City Guard
NPC

Re: A Curious Troupe

Post by City Guard » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 am

Citizens had, indeed, begun to notice what was going on. Only one at first, walking down the road, noticed a group of people and became curious. Being someone who worked in a nearby shop and who often traversed the path between the theater and his store, the rear of which faced the water tower, gave him a vested interest in what went on back there.

Minutes later he was gone, but a second person saw the group gathered around the fuzzy blue ball trying to do something to it; either kill it or help it. He wasn't sure which. Soon after, a couple showed up beside him to observe. They spoke amongst themselves, but didn't do anything to get closer or make themselves known. All of them knew the blue ball, if not by name and personal experience, then by notoriety. It was a highly recognizable guardsman... er... guardsthing.

Muttering between eachother for a few more moments, the trio dispersed before being spotted by the gang or by Gizmo.

It was not until Julius was turning back from the guards tower that an official had received the message relayed to them by the citizenry: That "the nutty blue ball everyone's scared of is stuck in a road or something" came as no surprise. It wasn't the first time, nor would it be the last, that Gizmo got into a bind.

Three guards approached the scene of the trouble, one with a backpack and shovel in hands, obviously an engineer of some kind. The other two led the way and met the group first. One of the two was a large, unfriendly looking human who stood at least 6'3" and had enough bulk beneath his armor to dwarf everyone around except the blue ball. The other appeared to be part elven, stood nearly as tall, but at half the weight. The engineer hung around being unremarkable, and looking bored.

"Alright folks, outta the way! We'll handle this. Step aside. Move." Ordered the big man in a booming voice that he enjoyed using. He impatiently pushed a hand between Merc and Gizmo to force her to do as he was ordering quicker than she wanted. Patience and diplomacy were not his strong suits. Digging Gizmo out of a pit didn't appeal to him.

The elven guardsman was more genial. Looking ashamed of his larger, uncouth partner, he give Myllis an imploring nod and motioned for her to step away as well. "And the fairy too, please." He requested, in a soft voice. "We can get him out, but we require space."

With enough space to begin setting up his equipment, the human looking engineer stabbed his shovel into the ground, removed the backpack he wore, and began withdrawing a few of its contents, including a long pole, some ropes and a foldable metal ramp.

"I don't want them hanging around if the fucking ball is going to get stuck every day... Get them out of here." Grumbled the larger man to his elven partner.

"It is hardly every day..." the elf began to protest, but was interrupted.

"Shut the fuck up, Lurus. Just get rid of them."

Unmiffed, the elf took his abuse in stride. He had to follow orders, and was used to being yelled at in this manner. Turning to the three ladies, he didn't feel as though he needed to explain his predicament. He had to ask them to leave, but he didn't want to be so rude about it.

Aramyllis Dae
Citizen
Name: Aramyllis_Dae
Race: Human + Fae-Elf

Post by Aramyllis Dae » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 am

At last, the cavalry was arriving.

Myllis crossed her arms as the three soldiers approached, appraising them with raised eyebrows. She took an immediate disliking to the big, beefy human, who radiated a kind-of-pig-headed masculinity that made the mix-breed woman wish death on the entire male race, no matter the species. They were all the same...

Myllis watched, a seer witnessing the fulfillment of her prophecy, as the man in question roughly shoved Mercedes out of the way in his blind lumber to the unfortunate ball. Throwing out a hand to steady the other woman, Myllis glared caustically at the big lummox. Too bad he was probably too oblivious to notice even that. She felt her teeth setting again, muscles tightening along her jawline as her nostrils flared. Was there no end to the idiots this place could offer up?

Distracted from her cynical brooding by the second guard, this one seeming to at least have been taught some rudimentary manners, Myllis attempted to recenter herself. They just needed to deal with this all calmly, and get out of here. No use making things any worse.

"Right, of course," she replied briskly, attempting a smile which nonetheless remained a little too toothy, with a glint of impatience in her eye. "I believe my friend here and the fairy were just heading off to the theatre." Myllis shot Geld a meaningful look as she swept her gaze out to the aforementioned building. Several individuals were huddled out back, apparently having taken on an audience role for this one spectacle. The motley crew was dressed in oversized, bright clothing, with a matched pair of dwarves in the fore, both puffing on fat cigars. One was also gesticulating wildly in the direction of the direction of Gizmo, causing his floppy hat to waggle precariously on his large head. An unexpected smile split Myllis' face as she turned back to Merc with a wink. "I'm sure they'll be thrilled to meet Geldenwing."

Leaving the gathering of the fairy to Merc, Myllis turned back to the elven guard, a curious frown drawing down her brows.

"I'm impressed how fast you got here. That Julian guy must have really hustled to fetch you." She glanced around, as if expecting to see the man. Nothing. She glanced off into the distance where the guards came from, in case the fellow was just lagging behind, catching his breath. Still nothing. Her frown deepened into one of concern.

"Did he decide not to return with you?"
Feathers on the fall.

Mercedes D'Amour
Citizen
Name: Mercedes
Race: Human

Post by Mercedes D'Amour » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:35 am

~She has to feed it. Of course she has to feed it. Why didn't I think of that? Because I'm not a freaking fairy, that's why! Aimes! Need a hand here!~
*Ungh. What? I don't feel so good.*
~Yeah, me neither. I think we're going to have to double-team it or I'm going to fall flat on my face.~
*Kay, I'm up. What do you want to me to take over?*
~Um, talking. Other face stuff. Not doing so great at it myself. And I'll likely be juggling or something, so I need the hands for sure.~
*Juggling? Oh. I see. Been having fun, have we?*

As Merc caught Aimee up on what had been happening in the short time the latter twin had been napping, the guards appeared on the scene. The bulky one's shove caught her off-guard and she stumbled into Myllis' waiting arm. Glancing up gratefully, Aimee smiled back at the other girl in agreement on the obvious match between Gelden and the people they were certain to find in the theatre. Still holding on to Aramyllis' arm, Aimee turned to regard the two guardsmen with little interest. Nodding to the elf briefly, with the same quietness he exuded, she returned her attentions to her company.

"Well, I guess that's our cue." she murmured to Myllis.

Why was the girl concerned about that Julius fellow? He was a complete stra...oh, heh. Probably the same reason they felt responsible for Geldenwing's safety. Sometimes connections had to be made quickly to survive. Merc would argue that connections often had to be dropped just as quickly, but she was a pessimist. It was her job to present the jaded points of view.

Just as it was Aimee's to present the positives.

The crew in front of the theatre looked like a friendly enough bunch. This bust the face into a wide-open grin and Merc let go of Myllis' arm to seek Gelden's hand.

"Well, you fed him, so let's get on with our adventure, shall we?" Aimee spoke quietly to the fairy, her smile never dipping, as Merc started moving forward - away from the chaos that surrounded the Blue Ball of Immense Loudness.

The slow, swinging strut didn't seem to match the open eagerness on the face of the woman approaching them, which immediately made some of the theatre troupe suspicious. Of course, most of the others found it indicative of someone in their line of work who was good at her job - and the rest simply didn't notice or didn't care. Merc drew to a halt in front of the motley crew and cocked her head to the side. Before she could begin, a rather bulbous man in an outrageous purple and orange paisley jacket stuffed his girth between the two cigar-weilding dwarves to peer down on her with a haughty air.

"Pardon ME madam, but you certainly don't esteem yourself a performer of our calibre, do you? Look at this lack of colour." Her faded bang and muddy-brown coat received disdainful flicks from the man's rotund forefinger. "The shoddy appearance." The torn slacks received a look of loathing they had never before experienced. "The lack of anything ingenuitive. Boring, boring, boring! PAH!" The man snorted and turned his head upward in a fit of self-righteous indignation.

Merc wished there had been a chamber pot emptied from above. It would have given her a small measure of delight.

It was time for diplomacy and sweet-talk. And perhaps some theatrics. Of an interesting "calibre", to be certain.
Alegria. Beautiful roaring scream of joy and sorrow. Alegria.

Geldenwing
Citizen
Race: Fairy

Post by Geldenwing » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Diplomacy was Gelden's specialty, if by specialty one was referring to the skill she was worst at. There was something to be said when she had the ability to use sheer excitement to avoid the instant swatting of those around her. It was an easy world to live in, when everyone was content to humour her rather than try to explain why she needed to stop acting...however she was acting.

A much smaller mouth than she'd expected finally opened to accept the apple offering she'd so diligently ground into the creature's crown. She beamed with pride as it exclaimed joy at the gift, knowing that there was nothing better in the whole world than an apple made my fairy magic. She could only assume it was the most delicious apple the creature had ever eaten.

She graced the apple-stained fur with a loving pat on the head, stroking her fingers through the neighboring fur to avoid getting sticky hands. She felt a sudden weight of responsibility for the roly poly ball, and as she slid down the side to plop onto the ground, she decided that they couldn't possibly abandon the poor thing.

Large fairy eyes turned up to Merc as they strolled towards the group of strangers, pleading with all of her fairy might that the tall woman might see reason.

"It sure must be awful bein' stuck in a ditch all alone with grumpy men. Ain't it awful? We should get them to help!"

Having decided the fate of the group of misfits, Gelden ran ahead, arms flailing in her excitement. She waited while the fat man said silly things, grinning up at him with the same expression until he was done speaking. The funny fat man had a pretty coat that she envied down to her fairy toes. She wiggled said toes, scrunched up her nose, and stepped forward to begin beating on his rotund belly like a jiggly bowl full of pudding. With each light hit she described her actions, mimicking the sound of drums as portrayed by screeching eagles.

"BOOM BOOM BANG BADADADABOOM BOOM BAAAAANG!!!"

She continued beating as she raised her voice to address the entire group.

"COME HELP OUR ROLY POLY FRIEND HE'S STUCK IN A DITCH AN' HE WANTS TO PLAY THE MOON FOR YOU."
“Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry,” says Coyote.
“Okay,” said the Lone Ranger. “We believe you.”
“Hee-hee,” says Coyote. “Hee-hee.”

Garfane
Outsider
Name: Julius Garfane

Post by Garfane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Julius. Now in mouse form had been watching the antics of the fae now for a few minutes. To say she was a strange one would be a understatement, always bouncing around making a nuisace of herself.
He was glad to see that the blue sphere hadn't been moved yet and rapidly moved along the beams of oppossing building to get a closer look at both the scene and the fae. Of course, being a mouse at this moment in time didn't improve his perithal vision or for that matter his vision in general. But nevertheless he was going to have to come in closer now to get the Fae's attention .

Climbing down, with all the sneak he could muster. Decending the wooden beam he ran up the fat man. He assumed he was a guard, and ran right between his legs. The Fae didn't notice, and that was very annoying. "Time for plan B." Now plan B would be slightly more resque and could expose himself to the guards but it would be worth if for the chane to befriend the Fae and her delecable friend. First he would have to think of something to get her attention. His mouse head moved left and right.

Then he heard the lady say his name... well Julian was close enough. She was asking questions, and questions at this moment were bad he had to abandon plan B now and go to the somewhat improptu plan C.

Running again. He found a alley way, started the incantation to morph back in to himself. Once more the pain of the morph crashed over him like a wave.

No sooner had it hit him, it left him. Getting up gingerly he dusted himself off and ran on the spot to build up a sweat. After all it has to look like he'd been running a long time.

Now sticky. Julius moved to the other end of the alley and jogged around the block. Coming over the crest of the hill he saw the blue ball and the ladies talking to the guards and someone else.

Slowing his run he stopped next to the lady and the gaurds. "Ah my dear guardsman. You here before me I see." He smiled at the girl.
"Did you get my note?" He lied
"I posted it through the door of the tower." He lied agian.

Now he had to be careful. D'or didn't seem like the kind of person who forgave easierly. If he was caught this could get messy.
'You can never have too many socks.' - Albus Dumblebore

Gizmo
Citizen
Name: Gizmo
Race: Machine and Gnomish

Post by Gizmo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 pm

With the guards on the scene, and Regibald temporarily pacified, there was little to be concerned about within the cocoon world of Gizmo. It was therefore with weary sighs and wan smiles that the three retired to the Living Room and ceased paying attention to the outside world. They had all been awake for a good twenty-four hours at this point, and with the day's excitement taking its toll, it did not take long for them all to forgo the pretense of caring what happened next and retire to their cots.

Regibald's evening ablutions entailed a little more than simply shifting to his nightclothes; namely, one all-important duty, one that he had been fulfilling every night for a good year now, without fail: Next to his cot, there were two levers set into the floor. These cranked poles, gears, and cogs that worked a tightly sewn air balloon, specially designed to emit a sound quite similar to a low snoring. The old gnome worked these levers in a practiced rhythm, until they eased into their own, self-sufficient rhythm. The sound of deep, guttural log-sawing emanated from within the still blue sphere like a sleeping beast snoring from within a giant candy egg. The beast was in slumber.
You just got blue-balled

City Guard
NPC

Post by City Guard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:30 am

Lurus, the elven guardsman, continued trying to bustle everyone out of the way while both staying out of the bigger guardsman's way and politely listening to Aramyllis while she spoke to him.

I'm impressed how fast you got here. That Julian guy must have really hustled to fetch you. Did he decide not to return with you?

The elven guardsman was pleased that the group was being cooperative without giving him, or his partners, any trouble. He almost didn't register the question he was being asked, thinking it was nothing but small talk, except that he knew the one who had come to them with news of Gizmo's predicament, and it wasn't anyone named Julian.

Aramyllis struck the ever perceptive Lurus as a local by the way she dressed, spoke, and held herself, so he treated her as if she was one. Perhaps he'd seen her around the city before, though he could not remember specifically. "Actually it was the actor, Hemerite, who alerted us..."

His voice trailed off as he heard the distant voice of the fairy yelling things and beating on the tummy of a pork bellied actor who Lurus knew very well. Even the elf, who was too passive a personality to laugh at most things, looked humored by the scene.

"Your friend is looking..." He began to say to Aramyllis, when the larger guardsman interrupted him.

"Hey! We're not here to chitchat."

Lurus' response was turn briefly back to Aramyllis and give her an exaggerated roll of his eyes. He did manage to look remarkably effete when he did so, a fact contrasted by his status as a guardsman and someone who could fight with the best of them.

The engineer among them began to establish a sort of wedged ramp in the dirt that would make the job of getting gizmo out of the rut much easier, and then tied the ropes around gizmo and the ramp in such a way that they could be pulled from the other end. Figuring out the best way to do this took him a bit of time, during which the big guardsman continued to look more and more agitated, a fact which he took out on Lurus.

Just then was when Julius showed up and said something about a note. This time Lurus didn't want to answer, but the big guardsman was right there to dismiss the whole situation for him. "Yeah yeah, letter, whatever. Fucking ball. I swear to Theogios if I have to do this again..."

And then gizmo started snoring, right in the middle of the big guardsman's threats. The big ball thing was so disinterested in what was going on, and so unintimidated by him, that it just went to sleep then and there.

"Motherfucker..." he blurted at it in frustration, and gave gizmo's side a whack with the metal pole he was holding. It didn't have much effect.

Both Lurus and the engineer hid a snicker by ducking their heads down and keeping to the darkness. With the rig set up in place the way the engineer wanted it, it was only a matter of applying their combined weights on the right levers, which he had hooked onto the poles, to get gizmo out of the ditch. It was quite a clever setup, if a little overcomplicated. The engineer was definitely worth his salt.

"This crap better be set up right, Firnas." Grumbled the large guardsman as they assembled in the proper positions to get gizmo out. His place was at the rear, with the job of moving gizmo forward while the other two lifted him by pushing down on the two levers that had been wedged into the ground on either side of the ball.

Each one of them grabbed a rod and pushed down as necessary. This pushed gizmo up and forward and, in the process, slid the ramp down under him so he couldn't roll back into the hole when they were done. It all went according to plan, which had the engineer smiling smugly.

Aramyllis Dae
Citizen
Name: Aramyllis_Dae
Race: Human + Fae-Elf

Post by Aramyllis Dae » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:28 am

Aramyllis was no mind reader, but that didn't prevent her thoughts from wandering in the same direction as Mercedes': some connections did indeed have to be dropped just as quickly as they were made. The crowd was growing, the others were off to the circus----er, theatre---and Myllis' presence was no longer needed. Not that it had ever been, precisely. But she was growing more extraneous by the minute. Or so the mix-breed told herself.

Rather than comforting her, Julian's reappearance only made her feel more nervous. It was difficult to decipher, with all the various people giving off their own sensory signals, but something about the man made Myllis' skin itch. In fact, right then it felt as if hundreds of tiny mites were crawling over her body, underneath her clothes. Despite the unnerving sensation, she knew from experience that looking would yield nothing. It was all in her mind, Gabi'Rel had often laughed at her, only a phantom stirring of the fine, light hairs on the skin of her arms and legs.

Myllis twitched in agitation, quite like a horse attempting to free itself of irritating flies. Unfortunately, this had little effect except to make her appear to any watching as if she had fleas. Luckily, most everyone seeming distracted by the faerie's latest antics, as she pounded upon the robust man's stomach. For a moment, Myllis could almost hear the resounding booming as Geld fancied it. The idea of joining the troupe in that dark, enclosed theatre, however, was disconcerting to the young woman from Shim. In the end, her anxiety won out.

She directed a small, private smile towards the elven guard, Lurus. He seemed patient enough to deal with Geld---at least as well as Myllis could manage, in any case. That was her only goodbye, though her lips quirked as she parted, eyes lingering fondly on the two girls she had met so recently.

By the time the ball was snoring, Myllis' back was turned on the bizarre group and she was on the road back to Shim.

(Myllis' story will be continued in 'Alone and Unafraid': http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1902)
Feathers on the fall.

Mercedes D'Amour
Citizen
Name: Mercedes

Post by Mercedes D'Amour » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:09 am

The folds of his neck squeaked as Remolyu the Great craned his neck forward to peer over his gut as if to make sure it wasn’t jiggling on its own. Truly, he could hardly feel the tiny fairy’s hands, though the rather gelatinous structure collecting for the large part on his frontal half exclaimed otherwise. Remolyu’s eyes bulged with surprised. Most of the cast stared open-mouthed at the impertinent – and somewhat oblivious – fae. And Merc snickered, though she did her best to hold back Aimee’s more childish impulses.

Relative silence pervaded the garish crowd.

“Bwaha hah hah haaa! Ho ho! Ho ho ho!” the sound echoed through the gaping street. Bellowing laughter was emanating in deafening peals from Remolyu’s great body. Likewise, the barrel stuffed into his ugly plaid jacket responded with enthusiastic bounces and death-defying jumps. Emboldened by the reaction of their ringmaster/director, the crew let fly the hilarity that had been building up inside them. For a few moments, mirth reigned on the steps of the golden theatre. Tears poured down the cheeks of some, random chuckles jumped from the throats of others. The enormous man bent low and patted the fairy on the head genially.

“Thank you my dear, thank you.” He paused to wipe a tear from the corner of his left eye and look over his shoulder at the motley collection behind him. “That is the first ingenious act I’ve seen in such a long time! Ho ho! What say you? Let’s have her in our troupe! Ha ha! Think of the sensation!” He bent low again to speak to Gelden. “How to get your moon in the theatre would take a great deal more ingenuity, my dear. Listen – the giant slumbers while his rescue is enacted! Ha – lazy beast!”

~~~~~~~

One person slipped to the forefront of the jovial group and poked Merc in the chest with a finely manicured nail.

“Sho, we cahn shee see iss clown. What iss it hyo can dho?”

Merc had thought the fat guy was the jerk. This chick was about to win the prize, she could tell. Her nose was so long, when one observed her straight on, it appeared to touch the top of her upper lip. Perpetually narrowed grey eyes squatted where her delicate cheekbones rose opposite the paper-thin bridge of her nose. Converse to what these former features would suggest, the woman’s chin was flat and closely connected to her bottom lip, leaving no room for the small curve that normally follows a full set of lips. The forehead sloped into her plucked eyebrows a little too quickly, making the stranger appear to have arisen from both an elegant elven family and a primordial soup. At any rate, she was clearly not someone to be taken lightly: rough-hewn muscle laced around contrasting fine and short bones, gathering especially on the low, sloping shoulders and wide-set thighs ensured respect.

Merc was not overly willing to give it – thankfully, she was not in control of the face. This was it – the spotlight was on. The guitar slipped from her shoulder, as did the greying knitted satchel. Her jacket was sloughed off just as easily, baring her back and arms for the crowd to see. Aimee controlled these functions – the girl’s grace adding delicate twists and lifts to every movement. One of these actions suddenly gave way to three glossy leather balls. That one was Mercedes’ doing. The way they could split up even the most basic of functions made it so much easier for the two of them to manage in their exhausted state.

Of course, there was also the audience. An audience gives energy to any performer, nevermind a starving one. Their back was to them. One – two – three balls suddenly found themselves airbourne – it would appear as though they had been tossed haphazardly as her left arm snaked up to vertical to catch the first and toss it down to her waiting right. The matching serpentine tattoos on her upper forearm rippled with the movement, appearing to be alive – as well they may have been. Ball one was tossed tenths of a second before ball two landed snugly between her index and middle fingers. It too flew upwards as ball three was flipped downwards. Round and round they went. The tiger’s paw on her right shoulder pulled through her skin. Why she didn’t bleed would have been a mystery if the rest of the tiger hadn’t been able to fit on her slender back.

The impromptu act carried on for a short while, though both girls were impressed with what they had been able to put out. They turned to look over their shoulder to check on their audience. The stoic face of the strange woman was first in view.

“Tattoo-lady tsen. Not bad.”
Alegria. Beautiful roaring scream of joy and sorrow. Alegria.

Geldenwing
Citizen
Race: Fairy

Post by Geldenwing » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Their laughter brought bright flushes to both of her cheeks, and Gelden felt that she'd truly accomplished something spectacular. She had no particular clue what it could be, but they were all laughing and this was enough to brighten her mood for weeks to come.

But then the fat man insulted her fuzzy blue friend, and Gelden raised a tiny finger to wag right into his face.

"It's not nice to call names. He's worked real hard to try and climb outta that hole, an' he's just tired!"

Re-focusing on the upcoming play at hand, she turned to observe the guards steadily working on lifting poor Gizmo free of his ditch prison. The difficulties inherent to fitting him in as the moon were lost on the fae. He was big, round and blue - all of these were traits which the moon embodied, making the odd creature a perfect choice to play such a difficult roll as a stationary sphere in the sky.

Contemplations fell by the wayside when Merc produced her amazing juggle balls and began a more complicated act than the one she'd shown Gelden before. The fairy watched with her jaw extended, transfixed by the flying objects which managed to remain under Merc's control throughout her impromptu performance. Gelden looked down at her own tiny hands, wondering if she could ever do something so coordinated, and found herself drawn towards a memory involving a very tall, very handsome man who'd once shown her how to juggle...

She raised her wings and beamed up at Merc when the performance ended, clapping happily. She was proud of the woman's performance, and her glowing face expressed her satisfaction.

"I think we should make her a part of our troupe, too!"

The fairy was already a member of course, which led to the logical conclusion that Merc must become a member too, regardless of the troupe's actual regard of the woman.
“Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry,” says Coyote.
“Okay,” said the Lone Ranger. “We believe you.”
“Hee-hee,” says Coyote. “Hee-hee.”