Ask the Admin

All other out of character discussion and chit-chat goes here.
Look for people to write with and introduce yourself here.
Kitan
Staff
Name: Kitan Valyra
Race: Fox Shifter

Re: Ask the Admin

Post by Kitan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:13 am

Metarie wrote:How often is magic looked for by the scryer/seers? Is it just active use? Does it take time for them to figure out where the use was?

How does this whole looking for magic use work anyway?
Yes! I definitely want to know about that too. Because they seem completely useless right now.
The Dreaded App Assassin

Metarie
Staff
Name: Metarie
Race: Elf

Post by Metarie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:48 am

Is it like monitored events? Some eevents are noted and filed but only major events are given attention? And if si what constitutes a nonevent vs an event given attention? I think the environment would be more opressive if battlemages just showed up at people's houses. Plus then things PCs did like Gil and Navarre might not have gone unnoticed. Or even Talia. :)

Maybe we arent being heavy handed enough? Or maybe those folks who broke into the justice hall screwed up the scryers and they have been out of commission?
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Profile | Thread Tracking

Darrik
Citizen
Name: Darrik
Race: Dwarf

Ask the Admin - re Bombings

Post by Darrik » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:38 pm

=Questions Regarding The Government's Response To The Bombings (with gratuitous capitalisations for IMPACT)=

Short version:
What IS the government's response?
And when can we players expect to see some kind of in-game post in the Town Crier thread with formal proclamation(s) from relevant authorities?

---helpful links---
Daily Tattler - http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3626
Plot thread re: bombings with post links - http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3582
------

Long Version:
At 'present day' in game, massive chunks have been blown off the wall of Marn, a monument commemorating dead guards destroyed, the civic court destroyed, the Gala (which Cam was at) turned into bloody ruin, and even Justice Hall targeted and a random battlemage killed as a result.

At this stage those of us playing guards and citizens have no solid cues to respond to apart from the explosions.
I made assumptions, when posting as Darrik, that the majority of the Guard are patrolling and helping ensure the cleanup goes smoothly, but that is just a bare minimum.

Some things that would be nice to know for those of us wanting to start threads dated a day or three after the bombings:
+ What is the Government's formal position on the acts of arson and terror
+ On what date is a formal announcement made by the government (the gala bombings were the night of May 19, and the wall bombing around midday May 20)
+ Is there going to be a curfew? If so, how strictly are the guards being told to enforce it?
+ What course of action are the Guards in general taking? Are they mostly focused on investigation and cleanup? Or is there a big 'Show of Force' by having as many on the streets patrolling as possible?
+ What are the battlemages doing, if anything?

---

Many thanks in advance for clearing some of this up. :)
Formal announcements from the government and head of the guard in the Town Crier would definitely help clear things up and pave the way for more RP - the sooner the better.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 am

As a start for the government's position, I posted in my last post in the Gala thread that martial law had been declared.

Also, when you see Saruna next, ask her. The Paragon concept was hers and we need her input to continue. You'll see a comment to that effect from her, some time last year.
A story is like a tapestry; it is never finished until the final thread is sewn.

Darrik
Citizen
Name: Darrik
Race: Dwarf

Post by Darrik » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 am

So Martial Law is confirmed? Cool. =D

Can I ask for some clarification as to what Martial Law entails here in the context of Marn?

+ Is High Constable Thomnas Oslun now in charge of the city as highest military official?
+ Does this particular enactment of Martial Law include a curfew? If so, when is it?
+ Do the Guards get given any additional powers/duties during times of Martial Law? If so, what are they?
+ In times of Martial Law, what is the relationship between Guards and Battlemages, hierarchy-wise?
+ Are there specific activities regular citizens are no longer able to do during the enactment of martial law?

Many thanks in advance :)

----

Regarding the Paragon side of things, that is indeed something I've been chatting with Kat about.
Honestly, at this stage, the paragon/rebellion RP threads can potentially be self-sustaining. We've hit the first major milestone of the rebellion arc - the explosions. Moving forward from that point is easy - but only if those of us involved know how the various authorities are specifically responding to that part of the RP.

However, I don't think the Government response to the acts of the Paragon and their associates fall under Kat's jurisdiction?
I was under the impression that Kat was responsible for the Paragon side of things and encouraging more RP around the RP arc in general.

Please correct me if I am wrong, though :)

Frug
Site Admin
Name: Phil
Race: fool

Post by Frug » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Metarie wrote:Someone asked me today if there were public baths in Marn.

I think there should be! I also found this for historical reference from the ever accurate Wikipedia:
Sure. I see no reason not to have them, and it creates an interesting setting for social interactions.
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Kitan wrote:
Metarie wrote:How often is magic looked for by the scryer/seers? Is it just active use? Does it take time for them to figure out where the use was?

How does this whole looking for magic use work anyway?
Yes! I definitely want to know about that too. Because they seem completely useless right now.
How dare you insult the scryers.

I suppose you could consider how the scryers are able to see magic to understand how effective they might be.

For starters, Marn is full of low level magic use. People are constantly tapping into their abilities to do both legal and illegal things, both intentionally and unintentionally. There's a lot of noise that the scryers have to sift through to decide if something is important enough to pay attention to. I think there would be too many events to file, but they could keep records of notable events.

The scryers are not the most profoundly intelligent people in Marn. Their handlers have to wrangle them like children who have temper tantrums, and decipher what it is they're trying to say whenever anything is going on. They're intended to be some of the most powerful magically inclined creatures in marn, but, like the Porter, they're severely limited. Think of them like insane geniuses or savants.

Once a scryer identifies an important event, like a particularly powerful use of magic, they are still limited in how they can identify who and where it was. The scryers might come up with a description of the person, but at best it would be like a wanted poster. If the battlemages were engaged in hunting someone down, they would likely maintain an active link with the scryers somehow (porter can talk to them in their minds) to zero in.

Finally there's the question of who would act against a magic user and why. This information goes to the judges, and they're not incorruptible.

Metarie
Staff

Re: Ask the Admin - re Bombings

Post by Metarie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Darrik wrote:=Questions Regarding The Government's Response To The Bombings (with gratuitous capitalisations for IMPACT)=

Short version:
What IS the government's response?
And when can we players expect to see some kind of in-game post in the Town Crier thread with formal proclamation(s) from relevant authorities?

---helpful links---
Daily Tattler - http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3626
Plot thread re: bombings with post links - http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3582
------

Long Version:
At 'present day' in game, massive chunks have been blown off the wall of Marn, a monument commemorating dead guards destroyed, the civic court destroyed, the Gala (which Cam was at) turned into bloody ruin, and even Justice Hall targeted and a random battlemage killed as a result.

At this stage those of us playing guards and citizens have no solid cues to respond to apart from the explosions.
I made assumptions, when posting as Darrik, that the majority of the Guard are patrolling and helping ensure the cleanup goes smoothly, but that is just a bare minimum.

Some things that would be nice to know for those of us wanting to start threads dated a day or three after the bombings:
+ On what date is a formal announcement made by the government (the gala bombings were the night of May 19, and the wall bombing around midday May 20)
+ Is there going to be a curfew? If so, how strictly are the guards being told to enforce it?
+ What course of action are the Guards in general taking? Are they mostly focused on investigation and cleanup? Or is there a big 'Show of Force' by having as many on the streets patrolling as possible?
+ What are the battlemages doing, if anything?

---

Many thanks in advance for clearing some of this up. :)
Formal announcements from the government and head of the guard in the Town Crier would definitely help clear things up and pave the way for more RP - the sooner the better.
Frug?

Luca Abernathy
Citizen
Name: Luca Abernathy
Race: Human

Post by Luca Abernathy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Also:
Darrik wrote:So Martial Law is confirmed? Cool. =D

Can I ask for some clarification as to what Martial Law entails here in the context of Marn?

+ Is High Constable Thomnas Oslun now in charge of the city as highest military official?
+ Does this particular enactment of Martial Law include a curfew? If so, when is it?
+ Do the Guards get given any additional powers/duties during times of Martial Law? If so, what are they?
+ In times of Martial Law, what is the relationship between Guards and Battlemages, hierarchy-wise?
+ Are there specific activities regular citizens are no longer able to do during the enactment of martial law?

Many thanks in advance :)

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:29 am

Sorry I didn't respond to everything.
Darrik wrote: Can I ask for some clarification as to what Martial Law entails here in the context of Marn?

I have no real objection to saying martial law has been declared, but technically it's a confusing concept in the context of a place where there is no separation between the police and the military. Whenever we try to import modern concepts into Thar's setting, this can happen. (A while back someone brought up reading people their rights when they were arrested, but the Miranda warning was introduced in the States in the 1960's, so I don't think Marn would have that concept. But I digress.)
Martial law in the broadest sense means that the civil legal hierarchy is no longer followed. That could mean that the Judges are no longer the final authority, and that Oslun gets to decide everything... but that would never happen. They'd never allow it without a huge fight, and more importantly Oslun has nothing to gain from it. The judges and the battlemages are even more ruthless than the guards are. If you want to clamp down on the population, you want to use your most lethal weapons (battlemages) and iron-fisted leadership (judges).

So it must be something different, like a general emergency state that imposes some restrictions and gives the guard even more power than they already have. Perhaps it's just a formal declaration that they are in lockdown mode and will be mobilising more troops throughout the city, and arresting larger numbers of people without needing to provide a reason. Normally, even though the guard can arrest you for looking at them funny, they would at least have to do it under some pretext, like disturbing public order. Eventually they have to explain why they arrested you. I guess during a state of martial law nobody asks any questions.

Curfews make sense. It's hard to see in the dark, so shutting the city down after dark would be a logical move. I would not expect it to last for very long, however. Shutting down taverns, brothels and general entertainment for many nights on end would hurt the economy and eventually cause public anger.
However, I don't think the Government response to the acts of the Paragon and their associates fall under Kat's jurisdiction?
I was under the impression that Kat was responsible for the Paragon side of things and encouraging more RP around the RP arc in general.
I would trust any mod to say what the government response is. If something gets done "wrong" we can work with it. Don't expect me to suddenly come crashing down and revising things that have been decided by writers unless those things are completely, explosively wrong. If you think the government ought to take some course, do suggest it to the people involved in the plot. The final say has to come down to a moderator but this is mostly a technicality since I can't let literally everyone control the city. I've been corrected in the past for getting my numbers wrong or overlooking something that makes sense.

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 am

All that said I think I need to talk to people about a tattler post since we'll need to put something out to nail down what actually happens.

Frug
Site Admin

Post by Frug » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:52 am

And more
Formally? You will be fairly tried (in justice hall, by the judges) and, if found guilty, executed. Informally you'll probably be found guilty and may be tortured if the judges really don't like you.
This is overdue OOC wise. A formal announcement should happen the next day.
Yes, and strictly if they don't like you, not so strictly if you seem like an honest citizen with a good reason to be outside. If you're a 15 year old kid and the catch you sneaking out, they'll probably take you home. If you're not human you win a free night in jail?
Investigation is not their strong suit. The battlemages, if they cared, would do the majority of that. However as it happens they don't care because the judges are not telling them to care. Some of them enjoy watching the guard and citizens fight. Expect a formal investigation with few resources and a single battlemage working with the guards on that. Show of force will be the most visible response.

Metarie
Staff

Post by Metarie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 am

Frug wrote: Martial law in the broadest sense means that the civil legal hierarchy is no longer followed. That could mean that the Judges are no longer the final authority, and that Oslun gets to decide everything... but that would never happen. They'd never allow it without a huge fight, and more importantly Oslun has nothing to gain from it. The judges and the battlemages are even more ruthless than the guards are. If you want to clamp down on the population, you want to use your most lethal weapons (battlemages) and iron-fisted leadership (judges).

So it must be something different, like a general emergency state that imposes some restrictions and gives the guard even more power than they already have. Perhaps it's just a formal declaration that they are in lockdown mode and will be mobilising more troops throughout the city, and arresting larger numbers of people without needing to provide a reason. Normally, even though the guard can arrest you for looking at them funny, they would at least have to do it under some pretext, like disturbing public order. Eventually they have to explain why they arrested you. I guess during a state of martial law nobody asks any questions.

Curfews make sense. It's hard to see in the dark, so shutting the city down after dark would be a logical move. I would not expect it to last for very long, however. Shutting down taverns, brothels and general entertainment for many nights on end would hurt the economy and eventually cause public anger.
For now I've posted a PSA stating the curfew will last from May 22 through May 30. Not too long and an extension can posted if further investigative time is needed.

Civil legal authority in Marn is a puppet of the Judges already. I imagine the Judges want that to stay in place so they don't have to deal with running the infrastructure services of the city, etc. I think the approach that the guards are less restricted is the way to go.

Suggestions would be useful and should be moved to the plot thread forum moving forward.

Saruna
Staff
Name: Saruna Rischett
Race: Human

Post by Saruna » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

FRUG. YO.

Can the Eyropan emperor live in a compound similar to China's Forbidden City? Not that he'd be sequestered there like how it was in the Qing Dynasty or anything, but .... you know. Stuff.
#biologicallyconscientious||Characters and threads.