Cooperative Fiction

Skip to content

A Place To Stay

Re: A Place To Stay

Post by Saku on

”Well, if you should find yourself sick of your predicament, and you cannot remedy it yourself I will assist.”

She narrowed her dark eyes and watched him for a few moments before drawing herself to her feet and turning her back on him, pacing around the room like a giant cat, grace etched her careful movements, not a motion wasted in her attempt to locate a suitable source of wood. It took her a few moments before she settled on a rather worn down, weak looking table, scanning it for every flaw and sign of weakness as she might an enemy.

Her muscles bunched for a moment before a single leap took her to the table top where she stood for a moment, listening to it creaking against her rather small, but significant weight. ”Hmm, the weather is somewhat poor, a fire would at least alleviate the gloom” She took herself to an edge, standing directly over one of the worn legs and jumped, bringing her feet crashing down onto the wood which splintered and cracked beneath her.

Before she could clatter onto the ground in the tangle of shattered wood she leapt from the table, careering back and landing with the slightest wobble on bent knee before pulling herself upright entirely. After that it didn’t take her long to demolish the table into long, thin pieces of wood, the only real issue being her lack of strength which she made up for with well placed blows and using the long, curved and cruel blades of her hunting knifes to make more weak points.

Soon she turned the piles of splintered wood into a small fire pit on a stone dip in the floor, careful to make it some distance away from the floorboards. Her hands moved quickly as she piled the wood carefully into a cone, running to her back and picking out her matches and small tinders she carried. She busied herself in making the fire, crouching on her front and blowing on the small, orange glow until it took on the wood and the flames began to lick their way through the material.

Eve's Introduction

Post by Xandras on

Eve stood outside the old building. This mill at the west side of the industrial district looked like it had seen better days...although it still looked serviceable. This was where she was to meet her contact for her first job in this city. Working alone might have been better, and more money for her, but it always helps to have a helping hand. That, and it's handy to have a meatshield when the arrows start flying.

The deceptively young looking girl was suddenly torn between her love of the comforts that would come with staying at an inn, and the money she would save by sleeping in this old mill after meeting her 'partner'. Sure, with an inn she could get food and a warm bed, along with a reduced chance of being robbed while she slept. But sleeping here would most likely be safe, dry, and warm enough to sleep if she could find some hay. And it was free.

Free, the magic word danced in her head, like a sirens call. When something was free, it was hard for Eve to pass it up. She loved getting her moneys worth or more, and how can you go wrong with free? Well, it was possible, but hard. Deciding she would make it up in the morning by buying a big breakfast, Eve concluded she would sleep here tonight.

Trying the door, and finding it locked, she shortly wondered why her client had told her to meet in a place that was sealed up tight. The answer came swiftly, it was a simple test. If she could not get in here, then there was no point in hiring her.

Carefully making her way around the building, she soon found her entrance. The back door was also locked, but the door was halfway off it's hinges. Taking out her sword, she dug the guard into the hinges (wouldn't want to damage the actual blade.) and pried the door the last inch or so loose. She managed to catch the door as it fell, and set it back in place after she got inside. It would keep nothing but the rain out, but at least it looked in place to a casual glance.

Now, where was the lucky person who would be working with the soon-to-be-famous mercenary, Eve?

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei on

The breaking up of the table proved to be Abmesh's salvation, for it caused him, in his gallantry, to want to help, which caused him to think of how he might help, which in turn caused him to think of his sonic burps, which he could only perform in frog form. After that many "which"es, he was somewhat disoriented, but he found himself hopping off towards a smaller, rickety table against the other wall. Digging in his little frog heels, he let out a rumbling fffffPACK that made the thing fall apart in a clatter of legs and planks.

An oddly human, satisfied grin took control over his frog lips before he spotted a fly on the wall in front of him. He might have spent the next five minutes catching it, had not another, entirely foreign and mysterious loud noise followed closely after his own. He whirled around to look for the source. Pale moonlight was streaming in through the door, which was silhouetted by a girlish shadow that nevertheless managed to look intimidating. (He was, after all, only a foot or so off the ground.)

Oh my, he thought. This thought manifested itself as a grumble in his considerably cavernous frog throat. He looked to Saku for guidance, wishing he could speak, but resisting the temptation. Best not to switch forms just now...

Post by Saku on

The aid from Abmesh had been well received although she made no voice on it, just a nod of thanks. Her lack of strength was particularly annoying in such situations where she was required to do manual labour, not that she often did. The skills which Abmesh had in his frog form were rather amazing and now she was using her own eyes she took the opportunity to observe him better, surreptitiously watching as she blew into the fire.

Her breath rippled out of her lips again and in the roar of the fire, she was sure she heard a rattle. She sat up quickly, her hair tinkling musically as she cast her eyes toward where she had been sure the noise had come from. Her violet gaze fell on the front door, they stroked over every flaw in the wood, examining for the slightest sign of movement. It seemed as though whatever had rattled the door had left, perhaps it had only been the rain.

She tried to settle on building the fire again but got prickles up the back of her neck every time she lowered her head. In the end she gave up and simply raised her head and sat beside it. She had just lowered herself onto her knees, sitting on her feet when a stream of moonlight filtered through the clouds, a stream that she should not have been able to see. Her eyes shot to the back door and saw a figure standing there. Her huge cat yowled before clambering onto a windowsill with a cracked pane.

In an instant she leapt up to her feet and crossed the floor, hooking a charcoal arm through the leather strap on her quiver and throwing it onto her back, pulling her bow up at the same time. She was starting to feel annoyed she had relaxed and undone some of her armour. She notched an arrow on the bow and stood stock still, looking at the figure that carefully propped the door back in it’s original place. ”Who stands there? Reveal yourself.” She raised her voice a little, enough to carry over the room, cold malice seeping through every word.

Post by Xandras on

She noted the frog on the floor, but ignored it for now. She didn't mind frogs, they ate bugs, and the less of them around the better. It was rather large, and something was off about it...but the arrow pointed at her was a bigger concern at the moment. Filing it away as something to ask about later, she focused on the person in front of her.

"Eve Veras" The girl said simply, not flinching at the arrow pointing at her. Not showing fear was necessary to portray a sense of strength, and considering that she still looked like a 14 year old despite being on the edge of adulthood meant that she needed it a lot. She noted with some inner frustration that the person in front of her was twice as intimidating as her without even trying...she kept quiet about it though, no need to rock the boat more than it needed to be.

"You Saku? I was told to meet you here for the job. No need to go all crazy on me, it would look rather bad if you kill your partner." She said, holding her gloved hands up in a placating gesture. She figured if a fight could not be avoided she could blind this person with a Flare and then move in with her sword. She would rather not, though, as it would forfit all hope of payment from their employer.

Abmesh was suddenly getting a really weird vibe from these two. Their little standoff unnerved him, and his animal instincts took over, sending him scuttling under the bits and pieces of the little table he had newly wrecked. When he felt safely nestled enough to negotiate his fat body into a 180 and peer out between two thin timbers, he had time to analyze the new girl. He barely got further than why, she's young enough to be my... well, not mine, but somebody else's daughter, before that blasted fly showed up again.

He sent wood bits clattering one or two feet around as he sprang out at it with a happy bounce, hopping off towards a far corner in pursuit of the little protein snack. I'll be damned if you'll get away this time, you tasty morsel, you.

As he passed along the wall, he hopped directly under the windowsill that the bulky cat had so swiftly ascended to, but he paid it no mind, nor indeed did he pay anything but the fluttering insect so much as a brief glance.

Post by Saku on

Saku examined the girl ahead of her, she looked only a year or two younger than Saku herself looked however that was no give away to age. She herself appeared only to be around 16, perhaps a little older though in fact she had passed more than double those years. She attributed it to her half-elven background. Slowly, Saku lowered her bow, the arrow still notched, ready to fly at a moments notice but it seemed that this was the contact she was here to meet.

” I am. Then you are the other mercenary I was sent here to meet?” Her tone was clipped. Though she gave no obvious insult, it was blatant that she would have rather performed the mission on her own rather than take the help of the girl ahead of her. It was nothing personal of course, she would rather not have anyone’s help. But she was being paid for this, a failsafe, she couldn’t blame her employed for that.

The atmosphere of malevolence around Saku intensified under these types of situation where before it had been ebbing away like a low tide. It scorched through the air like the dry static after a lightning strike, a flutter of wings from above told her that the nesting birds would rather brave the weather than be in her presence. It set her in a worse mood, her black lips set defiantly.

Carefully, she flicked her white dreadlocks back, out of her face in a tinkling of metal, allowing her to observe the figure ahead more keenly. Her violet eyes focussed on the girl with the intensity of a laser, scanning for weaponry, armour, strong and weak points and more than that, any flaw in her very person. It was well to know the weaknesses of those closest to you.

Post by Xandras on

“That’s right, our employer sent me here to meet with you.” Eve said. She felt the hostile attitude spike and then withdraw. Flinching slightly, the girl showed no other signs of being influenced by the atmosphere of malevolence around Saku. Showing too much fear would diminish her in the other person’s eyes, and she was NOT about to look like a whimpering little girl, no WAY!

Then Eve noticed herself being scanned, her every detail taken in. Rather than resisting, she decided to play along. “Heh, giving me a look over, huh? That’s not a bad idea. Lets lay out our skills right off so we know what our ‘partner’ can do.” With that, she drew her short sword. Still a safe distance from the other woman, she went through a series of fast, well-executed slashes and thrusts, showing a decent fighting skill.

After the demonstration, she returns the sword to its place on the back of her belt. Smirking and feeling somewhat happy with herself, she spoke again. “I can also generate light to see by, or blind others. And I have a healing spell if things go bad.”

Abmesh had missed the entire performance, which was just as well, as he wasn't privy to its cause, much less its purpose, and it would surely have unnerved him, and possibly escalated tensions in the room to a somewhat uncomfortable level.

As it was, he blithely barreled on into the far corner of the room, the fly in his sights, as the crazy girl with the cutters performed deadly-looking advances behind him. A snap of the tongue, and it was down his throat. A sudden, resonant burp filled the air of the building right to its rafters, so that it buzzed, thick with the sound. It was comparable to recording the ambient sound of a bottomless pit over several days, and then speeding up the recording into one loud, echoing outburst.

It even surprised Abmesh, who, although well aware of what his powerful throat could do, rarely burped so loudly, especially in the presence of ladies. My goodness, I'm such an animal at times. Which was perfectly true. He attempted to remedy the situation by transforming into head shape and looking sheepishly up at the women, who were standing several feet away.

"Erm... excuse me."

Post by Saku on

A smirk appeared on Saku’s own face although it seemed to be one of a dark plotting rather than of approval. “Indeed a useful quality... You are quick to give away your strengths, is it just to myself or is it to the world in general.” She had changed her body position, although it would be imperceptible to any human. Indeed it wasn’t meant for a human, it was meant for another creature skulking in the dark behind the girl.

The wildcat wandered over behind the young woman, casually and indeed intended her no harm but he padded over on huge, silent paws. Saku looked at the woman casually before saying “Let me give you a demonstration of my powers.” She was gone. There was no flash, no noise, she simply wasn’t there.

She stood directly behind the girl calling herself Eve, her huge hunting knife drawn, curved against the back of her neck, blade only just touching the flesh. The waves of cruel intent washed in the air around Saku, closest within her own personal space which arranged about a metre around her. When she was in this mood it could make people creep, spines shuddering and cause them to draw back from the negative air. It pervaded around Eve, Saku close, little more than a few inches away from her with a malicious smile on her lips, pointed canines flashing in the darkness.

A noise not too far away made her look up, it seemed Abmesh, in his frog form had belched loudly, and had turned back into his human form, looking rather embarrassed by his mishap. A tinkle of laughter peeled from Saku, cold and harsh as if she had learned it from a book, or a recording. An odd mockery of laughter that was the best she could interpret. It rippled around her like the sharpening of Death’s scythe.

Post by Xandras on

At Saku’s first question, Eve smirked at that point. “I’m not stupid enough to tell the whole world what I can do, but think of this as my way to establish a little trust, if we have to watch each other we won’t last long.” In her own mind she admitted that she liked to show off a bit, but would never admit that.

When Saku began her own demonstration Eve watched intently. She wanted to know exactly what she was dealing with. And then…wait, what? She simply vanished? Eve blinked in confusion a few times at the unexplained vanishing act, but then relised she was RIGHT BEHIND her.

When Eve felt the hostile aurora, and the knife at her neck, she followed her instinct and lunged forward, spinning around to face Saku as she did. In truth it was not the knife or the dark aurora that scared her the most, but the close contact with the other girl. Eve had a strong fear of touching people, to the point where even being that close was a bit much.

Now being generally pissed off, Eve proceeded to speak her mind. She was angry, and although she managed to fight back the urge to smack this woman over the head, considering she still held that knife, she was not above chewing her out. “Are you fucking crazy? You didn’t need to invade my personal space and do the whole ‘creepy evil knife wielding bitch’ routine! Is this how you get your sick thrills you psychopath?” All this was said it a raised voice, while she shook her left hand in anger. The whole effect would normally portray a woman with a short temper being justifiably angry, but considering her apparent age it just looked like a teenager throwing a tantrum.

Then the frog belched, interrupting her. She looked over at the offending thing, a little stunned by the unexpected interruption. Then Abmesh transformed and excused himself. To this Eve stared for a moment, before smacking her own hand over her face and muttering the words “what...the...fuck?”

Abmesh looked up at the girls, first one, then the other, then back to the first, as he tried to fit the pieces together. Apparently, my impropriety was a tad more grave than one might think... Oh dear, how do I make this right? I must think of an excuse...

"It, errr, 'twas the uuuhhhh... oh my... You know, in many countries, eructation is considered proper following a meal. You young maids would do well to remember that, should you ever catch the traveling bug."

Abmesh looked nervously at the new arrival before continuing. "Oh, honestly, where are my manners? I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on. I'm Abmesh. Really, there's no need to alarm yourself. I assure you, my table manners are impeccable under normal circumstances. Unless, of course, I've been drinking, in which case I become downright incorrigible. I tell you, a bit of wine goes right to my head!"

Post by Saku on

Eve snapped around in front of her, fury on her face but Saku withdrew her blade, sliding it into the sheath on her right so it lay twinned with it’s sister blade on the left, her face now blank and hard. “I can’t say it was much of a thrill. My thrills come from the smell of blood on cold stone and the feel of knife through flesh. Call me a psychopath, I killed everyone I ever knew at the age of seventeen. A killer, a mercenary shouldn't be so jumpy. Be careful who you anger, child. You may take on more than you realise.” The laugh rippled out from Saku again, she was genuinely amused, both by this girl, this woman’s reaction and by Abmesh.

She drew back a step or two and crouched down. The huge black and tawny wild cat at her side leapt into her arms and clambered so he lay around her shoulders like a fox throw although he was much larger. He came past her knees when he stood on the ground and in her small arms he looked oversized but he was a comforting weight to her, the only animal ever to stay close.

“Perhaps you shouldn’t be so rude to Mr. Gwaelei.” She said quietly. “It’s not so nice to stare...Don’t worry, I certainly wasn’t offended. I can’t speak for Miss Veras though.” Saku’s dark grey hands moved casually over the fur of the great cat around her shoulders, her black fingers disappearing into the depths, scratching some unknown itch, her long black claws liken to a cat’s own were perfect for such matters. They were also perfect for slicing through flesh but she didn’t do that often. Usually, she had a sword.

Post by Xandras on

“I WOULD be offended…” Eve said after Saku’s last line “But I’m more worried about someone who wasn’t invited knowing about our meeting here. We don’t know if we can trust him...then again I trust you even less, but I have to work with you so that hardly counts.”

Clearing her throat for a moment, Eve continued from there. “Ok, I hate to say it, but frog boy over here is gonna have to come with us. He’s deep in this just by being here...besides, you never know when he might come in handy.” The girl added, looking over at Abmesh with a smirk on her face. Privately she thought ‘at least as a meat shield when the arrows start flying.’

Finishing up, she added, "So, what's out plan of attack here?"

Now, the girls were exchanging cryptic witticisms and talking as if they had some Great Plan, in capital letters. There was nothing more unnerving than being left in the dark. By this time, Abmesh had completely given up any pretense of understanding what they were talking about, but he followed the conversation doggedly, in spite of this.

"Excuse me, ladies... I, ah, get the sinking feeling that I'm in over my head."

He looked around for a bit of tobacco, having completely forgotten the last little mishap he had, despite the fact that his eye still stung something terrible. The pouch was buried under a few table legs, so a cursory glance wasn't doing anything for him. Blast, I guess I'll have to roll around and find it. I could have sworn I brought some with me...

He began rolling from ear to ear in a sort of awkward duck waddle, blithely strafing the girls and the cat in his hunt for something to soothe his confused mind.

Previous

Return to Industrial District