Cooperative Fiction

Skip to content

A Place To Stay

Re: A Place To Stay

Post by Abmesh Gwaelei on

His eye twitched, and an odd shiver tickled the back of his skull as he rolled over to light his cigarette. It was Saku, giving him the creeps, but he couldn't imagine why, and a moment later, it was gone. He puffed at the rolled smoke for a moment to get it going, then he brought his chin up and leaned the back of his head against a leg of the table, giving the odd impression that he was leaning back and taking it easy.

"You know, for you, I might just cook something up free of charge. Indulge my curious nature; what did you have in mind?"

Post by Saku on

Once she had lit Abmesh’s cigarette she moved back, the heat of the match wafting over her fingertips as it burned down. She felt a moment’s stinging pain before she flicked her fingers and cast it across the room, watching it stutter out as it flew through the air away from her. Sitting down in a kneeling position, she rested her weight on her feet, considering the offer from the engineer.
”I cannot allow you to attend without payment. You will at least grant me that. Though there is no harm in voicing my mind.” She paused for a long moment, considering the needs of the item she would need. Of course, a weapon, she had time for little else in her life unless he could invent her a house that weighed less than 5 kg that she could carry with her, she doubted that. Her tent would have to do in that respect. Running her claws along a wooden floorboard she left a series of long score marks, as if a big cat had slashed it’s claws along the bare boards.

It took her a little while before she was willing to part with her need, she was reluctant to concede to anyone she needed their help, it gave them some hold over her, and she would do anything to avoid someone having a hold over her again. ”I am in need of a weapon, of something a little different to that which I have been previously offered. I act best with ranged weapons and yet a bow is cumbersome to carry, particularly a longbow needed for a good range. Crossbows I have tried to no avail, they are too slow for me and leave me open to attack. Besides...” She glanced down at her slender arms, examining them cruelly. ”...I do not have the strength to load a crossbow easily. Guns are no good, they are too loud and unpredictable. I received a rather painful burn from the gunpowder last time I used one.” Her quiet voice ended suddenly, as if she had realised how much she had said in monologue, her black lips pressing together with a slight frown which came more naturally than a smile for her. A sharp, white canine emerged from her mouth and bit the corner of her lip, revealing her awkwardness openly.

Abmesh's wheels began churning away as the sinister woman voiced her desires. This was the kind of challenge he lived for! He subconsciously began smoking faster as he mulled over designs in his mind, and he soon found himself coughing.

Worse, on a particularly violent inhalation, he sucked his cigarette right into the back of his mouth. It came out with a spitting scream, a smoldering wad of paper and tar, flying directly upwards and out of vision. His eye turned upwards just in time to catch the thing on its downward plummet, right on the pupil.

"OOOH, BLAST, HECK, CONFOUNDATION! Arrrr, that really stung..."

He rubbed his closed eye against the table leg, desperately trying to clear it of the acrid poisons of a half-smoked cigarette, only to end up puncturing his eyelid with a splinter. Blinking was to no avail, and his right eye, swollen and pulsating, ran wet and red as he looked about with alarm for water, or indeed, anything.

"Ghaaa, this is one of those times you really wish you had hands, you know?"

Post by Saku on

She observed Abmesh’s increased breathing, watching the trail of smoke ring about the room, reaching a metre or so above the table top before being pushed away by the draft, sending it spiralling across the room in a slow, lazy wave. Following her gaze back along the trail she returned her eyes to man, just in time to see him choke on his cigarette and send it rocketing out into the air. The instant between it flying into the air and it’s rather ill fortuned landing in his eye seemed to last for minutes, and yet she could have made no move to stop it.

Bad luck and ill timing ruled the next few moments, Saku wincing as she observed, knowing how much it had likely stung and moved forward a little, still holding back wondering if she could help at all. The next stroke of ill fate hit with a resounding thud as the dark skinned half fae winced again, looking at the bloody and sore eye with some trepidation.

”It would be foolish to ask if you are okay, but is there any way I can help...?” Slinging her pack in front of her, she busied her hands pulling out a variety of items from her pack, the first thing being water, after that a small bag in which she carried a few bandages and dried herbs, those which most people knew the uses of, the ones even farm hands could use. Saku’s skills in healing were few, she had no more than a rudimentary knowledge for she avoided the close combat situation, preferring to kill her target before they could injure her. When she was injured she took herself off to a small town witch, if they would see her, if not a medic or anyone with some knowledge in the craft of healing.

”I can’t say I’ve had a moment like that as such, if I do perhaps I shall take a moment to compare the situations...” She spoke quickly and yet moved slowly, hesitant to approach Abmesh against his will, it would not be the first time in her life that her efforts had been scorned or her presence hated. It made her nervous then, to be in situations like this, she didn’t really know what was best to do for another person, indeed, she had never really taken the time to do such a thing, why spend any worry over another when it wouldn’t affect you. She didn’t feel worry, or panic, but perhaps an unease that could be resolved by her assistance in this, but in the long run, her conscious mind couldn’t help thinking that it wouldn’t really matter. She tried to spurn this thought.

Making faces and pinching his eye tight shut, he looked at her through the other eye, rather sheepishly, as she drew some basic medical tools out of her pack. "You know, I have incredibly good luck when it really counts. For instance, I'm willing to bet that most fellows have to go through a lot more than this in order to get your attention. It's my aura of charm and my boyish good looks, isn't it? I hear short is the new tall... I must warn you, I don't neck on the first date."

Were he capable of doing so with any measure of suavity, he would wink then and there. Water streamed out of his swollen right eye as it attempted to cleanse itself, and he suspected that he looked anything but charming. As Saku moved closer, his good eye followed her own eyes, drifting upwards. Then, a thought struck him. "It's awfully dark in here. Are you sure you'll be able to find the splinter?"

Post by Saku on

Had Saku’s skin been able to show any sign of a blush, it might have shown one now. Her eyes focussed on the linens in her hands, away from Abmesh’s face while she composed her face into a less shocked expression. When she returned her violet eyes to him, she answered. ”Well, most fellows have to do only one thing to get my attention, usually that happens to be die. A mark of the job, so to speak.” Using a dark skinned hand, she pulled her hair back, sending a ripple of silver music through the air as she moved a little closer. ”However, I think on this occasion you’ve suffered enough to allow me to pay you at least a little attention. Though most would consider that poor fortune rather than good luck.” She did smile a little, feeling comfortable enough to move in closer.

”Don’t worry about my eyes, I won’t be needing them.” She made a small gesture and from the shadows slunk the huge cat, a rat dangling in his powerful jaws. ”His will do nicely.” She turned to face the cat, making the smallest of whispers in a soft, gentle voice that contrasted sharply to her usual colder tones. She closed her eyelids then, the long lashes meeting her cheeks as she adjusted to the cat’s mind. She had stretched a piece of her consciousness out to him and he had happily received it, allowing her to see from his eyes.

The new perspective was disorientating, watching herself move in the eyes of another, it made it difficult understand exactly where she was. ”Please, excuse me if I am slow. It’s hard to follow my movements from his eyes.” Her head nodded toward where the cat was standing, watching them both carefully. At a movement of her hand he shifted forward, face nearing Abmesh with a look of blank curiosity. As his mind was capable of conscious thought (the influence of having to share his mind with a sentient creature had rubbed off on him) he pondered over who this stranger was that warranted their assistance. It was unusual.

Saku moved close, following the cats eyes to make sense of where she was. She could see the splinter lodged in Abmesh’s eyelid, blood gathering around the puncture. It looked sore. ”May I...?” She asked, absentmindedly rubbing her long claw on her first finger against her thumb, pondering whether it would be easier to grip with finger or claw. Perhaps claw would be better, they might get in the way otherwise...

Abmesh eyed the cat curiously. Now, that's downright impressive...

"My word. I have difficulty keeping track of one head, and that's without all the other floppy twisty bits getting in the way. I must say, I admire your skill."

Another involuntary shudder shot up the back of his skull as Saku moved in even closer and began working on his eye. He passed it off as a pain convulsion, and smiled broadly at her, relaxing his eyelid and lifting his eyebrow to give her the clearest, largest surface area to work with.

”Please, excuse me if I am slow. It’s hard to follow my movements from his eyes.”

"My dear, I place my depth perception entirely in your capable hands. Go as slowly as you would like, I don't have anywhere to be. Or at least, I'm fairly certain I don't..."

It was then that he suddenly remembered what they had been discussing prior to his unfortunate mishap. "Ooh, the weapon! Yes, you say you need something long-range, light on the user, accurate, quick to reload... Hmmm, those are all easy enough on their own, but combined, it makes for quite the structural challenge. I shan't get ahead of myself, though. I'll need my blueprinting materials to really get to work on that. But I do very much look forward to it! Never before have I had the opportunity to create something for such a lovely customer. All I get are these stuffy, intellectual types, you know?"

Post by Saku on

She leaned in closer, watching herself move in the observant eyes of the cat until she was little over a few inches away, her hands hovering for a moment before she placed them on Abmesh’s brow. ”Haha. You manage well enough as far as I can tell. It’s complicated but you do get the unbelievable urge to stalk small animals and catch rats.” Her cool hands moved, carefully holding his brow up with her left while her right touched his lid cautiously. The cat at her side drew closer, nearly as close as she was until she was.

”I shall do my utmost best to preserve your perception. It would be rather awful if you hopped into something.” The corners of her black lips tipped up in the slightest smile. She allowed him to finish speaking before she fixed her claws around the edge of the shard of wood hesitating for a moment before pulling sharply, drawing it out as quickly as possible.

Flicking it away, her hands shot to the floor and felt around beside her until she found the skin of water and the linen. Flicking open the lid she poured water on a crumple of material, squeezed it out and moved again to dab Abmesh’s eyelid, careful to wipe the wound softly and remove any blood. She cleaned the streaming eye carefully before moving back and turning to where she assumed the cat was. ”I’ll need my own eyes for this now.” She relinquished her residence in the cat and tried to become accustomed to her own senses.

It took her a little while before she could see properly in the dark but as soon as she could she opened a small bag and took what seemed to be a tincture and mixed it with the remainder if the water. She had been told by a woman skilled in healing when she had damaged her own eye to rinse (her own eye had been damaged more than this and she had very little in the way of marks left in the purple iris) every day for a week with this substance which she had called something like ‘Herperium’. No, it’s wasn’t that. Saku spent a while thinking on the name until finally she settled on ‘hypericum’. Closing in on Abmesh again she rinsed his eye with this then said. ”It’ll probably need rinsing every day. At least for a few days.”

”I can imagine it would be difficult to complete all three. If you do come up with a solution I would be most grateful.”

Abmesh would have recoiled at her touch had he been able to, but he was rather busy trying not to scratch his cornea with the splinter. As Saku drew it out, he yelped a little, but then felt immediately better. But when she started going on about medicines and cleansing and such, he sort of fell out of step.

"Oh dear, that is just the type of thing I'm likely to forget. I do so wish you didn't have people to go off and murder, or you might have hung about and helped me. Of course, you've been far too kind already, and I would not beg more of you."

Abmesh looked about the room awkwardly, wondering again how in the hell he got there. "So, were you planning on spending the night in here?"

Post by Saku on

She moved back from Abmesh quickly, withdrawing and sitting back on her heels, cat winding at her side, still watching the man. She dried her hands on her cloak, putting the water flask down on the floor, careful to fasten it tightly and prevent leaks. ”I haven’t done anything but fix an accident I caused.” She answered. Pushing her hair back, she eyed him, curious by the nonchalant way he spoke about her job, it gave most people the shivers. Then again, most people simply couldn’t stand near her without getting the shivers. ”I’m off contract, well so to speak. The one contract I have is in the city. And I can’t find him anywhere.” She rolled her eyes and sat back on the floor, removing her cloak and casting it over the table to dry.

The water dripped off the heavy woollen weave, the lanolin keeping the water on the outside, so worn it had none of it’s typical smell. The slow drip was lost in the crashing of the rain outside, observed for a moment by Saku’s violet eyes before she returned them to her feet. ”What is there I can help you with? I have a little time I can spend, should you wish.” Drawing her knee to her chest, she unfastened some of the buckles across her front, holding the tight leather against her chest.

Even the best armour would restrict movement a little, and this was so fitted it limited a little of her breathing, something she got used to, she would often sleep in it if she felt at risk but right now she could survive loosening it a little. The buckles shifted open, revealing the neck of the black shirt she wore underneath. ”Hmm, yes. It’s better than spending a lot of money on an inn, and people are less likely to look here...”

”I haven’t done anything but fix an accident I caused.”

Abmesh raised his eyebrows and fixed her with a goggle-eyed look. "My dear, what on all of Pal Tahrenor did you have to do with the matter? If I were at all into reading other people, I might think you had a bit of a guilt complex."

He smiled as he saw that she was relaxing a little, taking a load off and settling down. He was quite glad that she would be staying. The storm outside didn't perk up his appetite for adventure in the least, even were he able to somehow scale the wall, and he didn't enjoy the prospect of sitting there all alone in such a creepy old building, waiting for morning.

The smell of wet bricks and mortar came out as the rains reached their climax. Some liked the smell, some didn't. Abmesh liked it well enough, and he inhaled deeply through his nose. Unfortunately, being as close to the ground as he was, he inhaled a good bit of dust from the floor in the process, and sneezed loudly.

"Oh my, I do hope I'm not coming down with something. This weather is awful for that. Why, I remember... wait, no I don't. Oh, bollocks..."

Post by Saku on

She gave a mirthless laugh, tinkling like broken glass. ”I’ve been accused of never having an ounce of guilt... you are the first one to blame me of the opposite.”She busied her dark hands, propping her pack against the nearby table, fingering through it until she found a small amount of dried meat which she tossed toward the cat who was lurking now in some shadows a little way away.

”Had I not asked you to ponder the design of a weapon, you would not have become so distracted, and as a result would not have toted on your cigarette so hard that you nearly inhaled it... resulting in your nearly blinding accident.” She rattled it off, as if this was of course a reasonable explanation and it had indeed been her fault entirely, even if she had not foreseen it.

Her eyes had drifted away from Abmesh once more, scanning about the room for the most comfortable surface on which to while away the night, should she choose to sleep, only to be brought back to him with a shock as he sneezed. Her muscles bunched up and she shuddered in fright at the sudden noise, her reflexes ready to duck out of the way as if it could have been a speeding arrow or a whistling sword stroke. Realising it was nothing but a sneeze, she relaxed herself slowly.

Perhaps you need some time off, you’re wound too tightly...

The ramble that followed the sneeze made her smile a little. ”The weather being what it is, I would have thought it suited you... considering your other form. It is a rather miraculous talent you have there by the way.” Pulling a cord from one pocket, she tied her hair back, pulling the moderation of the locks into a pony tail, leaving a few hanging around her face, jingling. Her ponytail was as thick as her lower arm, the huge amount of dreadlocks barely fitting into the cord.

”What about you, what do you plan to do here..? Are you staying for the remainder of the night?”

Abmesh blushed an impossibly deep red when Saku complimented him on his shifting talent, and managed to stutter a reply: "Awwww, well, yeauuh, I suppose ol' froggie would like to splash about. I kinda forgot about that."

If Abmesh had a coin for every time he had completely forgotten about his shifting capability, he- well, he probably would have lost his coinpurse at any rate, before saving up any great amount. He hmmmed and haaaaed to himself, fiddling his lips and eyebrows as he thought these thoughts.

Arising from his reverie, he realized that he had suddenly forgotten where he was again.

...Are you staying for the remainder of the night?”

"Hmm? Oh, yes, well, I... Hmmm. Yes, I suppose so. I can't seem to recall having other plans, at any rate."

Saku looked rather frightening at her current angle, so Abmesh refrained from asking her where they were. She had undoubtedly already told him three times, knowing him. My goodness, she's a veritable pythoness, a baleful warrioress! He found himself rather enthralled by what he would call her terrible beauty, and quickly, spastically rolled over onto his ear in embarrassment when he caught himself staring at her hair for the second time. Oh, blast.

This was the worst. When something surprised him, and he ended up on his ear. When he was moving about in head form, he had full control, and never tipped too far. But when he suddenly found himself on his side, he often didn't have a clue what to do. Of course, it was easily fixed by a quick shift into frog form. All he needed was a reminder, really...

Post by Saku on

She smiled, little more than the corners of her mouth twitching up, but to her it was a smile none the less. The flush of blood in his cheeks struck her as odd but she mentioned nothing of it, passing it off as perhaps a mistake of her own wording. ”Forget...?” Her head cocked to one side quizzically. ”Well, I suppose it could slip your mind. It must be enjoyable... to be able to be so free.” She fell silent for a few moments, as if contemplating this.

That, and she enjoyed swimming.

”I hope you find this place hospitable. It is rather chilly. A fire wouldn’t go amiss in here. Warm the damp air.” She cast her glimmering eyes about the room, eyeing every burnable material in the hope of finding fuel. Lacking anything else, there were chairs, floorboards and even the table, but breaking them would be irritating. She’d have to use her knife, or stand on them. Darker patches appeared on her cheeks at these thoughts, her own version of a blush. She hated feeling weak.

Her blush was interrupted feeling of eyes gazing on her, as if sight could be felt in heat. She looked back at Abmesh, only to watch him tip over onto one ear. This seemed to break her usual cold exterior and for a moment a true laugh rang out before she could stem the flow. Her smile faded back and she lowered her head apologetically. ”I’m sorry, that was rude of me. Are you alright?”

Abmesh smiled up at her nervously, his gaze flitting between her and an ant that seemed to have developed an unhealthy curiosity concerning his left eyeball. He blinked furiously, and even blew upwards at it, making a trumpeting sort of sound.

"Oh yes, I'm quite alright. I'm just resting my head."

Truth be told, Saku looked even more frightening from a sideways perspective, and he dreaded the thought of her approaching him to help. He anxiously fretted over ideas for getting out of his current predicament. Try to distract her. Goodness knows, it always works with me.

"So, ehhhh, quite the weather we're having, yes. I can't say a fire sounds disagreeable... Erm..."

Previous

Return to Industrial District