Cooperative Fiction

Skip to content

Forgotten Faces

Forgotten Faces

Post by Drake on

Continued from here http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?t=1145&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

Drake found himself staring at the gnomish workshop. Smoke billowed out of chimneys and loud banging noises could be heard from inside. He grimaced thinking about all the dangerous things that could possibly be being created inside. He had had some experience with gnomish devices; none of it good. The things were prone to strange methods of use, such as having to hit the item in question with a sturdy stick before each use or else it would explode. None of them were made the exact same either, which made repairs, if possible, very costly and difficult.

He shook his head and continued along the road in the direction the man he had stopped to ask for directions had pointed him in.
“Where there is much light, the shadow is deep”
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"You know, it wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer once in a while." -Foamy The Squirrel of Neurotically Yours

Post by Cody on

Cody had calmed down at this point, the fear that had spurred his earlier adrenaline rush had abated leaving Cody to realize not everyone was out to get him. As long as he was outside, for the most part he would be safe.

"Drake, if we are going to see the wheel you've been wanting to see, why is it you don't seem very happy?" Of course Drake was injured...because of Cody's earlier antic's...but that didn't seem the reason for concern. Something about where they were...which of they were nearing Drake's goal didn't seem to make much since to Cody.

Post by Drake on

"To tell you the truth, I'm apprehensive about this. I really don't know what to expect. The wheel is just a clue that will hopefully lead me to the gnome I was speaking to in the dream, and it's him I'm worried about. What if the gnome is another person that I caused pain? What if I find out he was a partner in some nefarious plot? What if he's not even alive anymore?" Drake stared down at the ground as he walked.

"Being around gnomes and their machines doesn't help either. Gnomes have a tendency to be unpredictable in their nature, and their inventions, don't even get me started on those. I once saw a man get his arm blown off by a gnome-made clock because he forgot to shake it the proper amount of times before he opened it."

Drake was now beginning to hear gears turning in the distance. The sound was harsh in his highly attuned ears. He gritted his teeth and continued walking towards it's source.

From behind a building that was much smaller by comparison emerged the Power Plant. It was a towering behemoth of a building with gnomes running about visible through it's windows. Drake could now detect the faint sound of splashing water. He proceeded around the building's southernmost wall, and there it was, the object of his search. The seventy and some odd feet high wheel was whirring faintly as the Ofriyu hit its paddles and forced it to turn. He was held in awe for a minute, but then he remembered why he was really here.

Concentrating hard, he clinched his eyes closed and started pulling the images from the dream back into his mind. He could see the gnome, but not very clearly, as he was focusing his full attention on the background. After he was sure he had the picture memorized he opened his eyes.

He scanned the area and found a spot in the clearing between the Power Plant and the building on the street before it. He walked over to it and spun around to look at the wheel. It wasn't the right spot. He tried again with another spot. It was wrong too. He repeated the process a total of six times before he found the place he was looking for. Staring up at the wheel he said, "this is it, the exact spot I was standing in in the memory when I spoke to the gnome. Now if only I knew where to find the gnome himself."

"You know, it wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer once in a while." -Foamy The Squirrel of Neurotically Yours

Post by Cody on

That certainly wasn't what Cody had wanted to hear. He really hadn't considered what the gnome would be like, what if it would attack them? Drake hadn't mentioned possible dangers up to this point, it certainly caused Cody to reconsider this whole idea of going to search for the gnome.

"How dangerous are the gnomes themselves?" Don't touch anything...he'd figured that part out at least. Cody's imagination was starting to offer him different scenes of gnomes coming after him....nono..one chase today was more than enough.

Cody kept a partial eye on Drake to make sure he didn't leave his line of sight, but he also wanted to take in the sights. The building, the wheel, and the river. Swimming sounded like a good idea, much better than the notion of looking for a strange gnome that could be dangerous. Cody knew better...this was important to Drake.
"what time was it in the dream? Maybe when its around the same time..morning or night or whatever he'll come here." Cody wasn't sure if that sounded at all intelligent but it was the best he had to offer.

Post by Drake on

Drake had waited until he found the spot to answer Cody's questions. He didn't want to loose the image in his mind. "It was around noon, but I don't think that will work. Gnomes are almost as patternless as their inventions. We'll probably just have to ask after him." Anticipating the worried look he just knew Cody must be giving him he continued by answering the first question. "Don't worry though, they're not apt to attack for no reason. Just don't stare or say anything that might be taken as offensive and you'll be fine."

Now it was back to the matter at hand. Drake was unsure of who to approach, but he figured that he could just ask any of the gnomes. How to go about that was another question in of itself. It wouldn't do to interrupt one of the gnomes work, unless you wanted to be blown up or attacked by a person that barely came above your waist that is.

"Well, let's explore a bit. No point in standing in one place too long in the hopes that the person you need will just pop up."

Post by Cody on

Cody nodded, still uneasy but trusting Drake. If he said it would be ok Cody would relax...honest...eventually. Exhaling a pent up breath he nodded and moved to follow wherever Drake went. To be honest the lake looked nice enough what was really on his mind was leaving the city for a while and just have a quiet and peaceful day outside. That wouldn't be fair to his friend.

He couldn't help wondering what Drake would do if he didn't find what he wanted here, but Drake hadn't seemed to thrilled with the idea last time he asked. The frighting run from earlier had made him forget all about his peppermints..he pulled what was left of them from his pocket only to find they were broken into pieces from his earlier activities.

"I never climbed a tree before...or much of anything." This came at complete random moment as Cody looked at the wheel. "I was told it wasn't safe..." It kind of sounded nice though, to get a better view and...somehow just enjoyable.

Post by Drake on

Drake simply ignored Cody's strangely timed admission. He figured that it was most likely a simple statement that needed no comment. He continued on his path back out to the street that had brought them to the Power Plant and turned northwest. As he came closer to the front of the giant building he could see a dirty faced gnome sitting on the front steps smoking a pipe.

The gnome was wearing crimson red trousers covered in deep black, shiny stains and a plain brown tunic. As he drew nearer Drake could see that his jaw was lined with short bristling hairs. The gnome turned his beady brown eyes on Cody and Drake.

"Oy, you, you 'aven't seen Brunilda 'ave ya?" The gnomes voice was deep and cracking. It sounded as if he had been inhaling soot for far too long.

"No, I'm sorry, I don't even know who Brunilda is." Drake returned simply. The gnome looked at him as if he were a rather odd specimen of insect.

"Don' go messin' with meh. I know ya knows Brunilda. Now were is she." He returned a bit angrily.

"No, I don't." Drake returned, more resolutely.

"Listen 'ere Elf. I know ya knows 'er. 'Er pa did some work fer ya a whiles back. I was tha one what delivered the order ta ya." The gnome was standing up now and his face was turning red.

"Oh yes, I forgot about Brunilda," Drake said as both an attempt to settle the gnome's anger and to try and find out more. "It's been a while since I was last in the city, but if you'll remind me where they live I'll go see if she's home for you."

"She lives in tha shack by tha scrapeyard. No' tha' it'll do ya any goo'. I've alrea'y checked an' she ain' 'ome."

Drake hurried off in the direction that he remembered the scrapyard being in.

Post by Cody on

Cody listened to the dialogue quietly, looking the gnome over curiously. As it got angrier Cody shifted his weight about. Looking up again at the wheel he backed up a few steps to put him more comfortably behind Drake without trying to look to obvious. No one noticed that...surely... Cody sometimes thought of not being a coward, but it wasn't something he was to keen into trying. Coward's didn't get hit as often as those who were brave.

When Drake suddenly left Cody jumped to follow. He paused for a moment to look curiously at the gnome a few seconds longer then he darted after Drake. "So...any idea who Brunilda might be? Or what she is...?" Was she a human 'she' is what it basically came down to...was Cody going to have to sit in a room somewhere and listen to Drake have a meeting with a lady. Not the most pleasant thought, and to think this morning he thought nothing could go wrong.

Post by Drake on

Drake arrived at the small shack soon enough. He was afraid that knocking on the front door might cave the dilapidated place in, but he did it anyway. No answer. He knocked again. Still no answer. He turned to look at Cody, "looks like we'll have to wait for her to get home." He carefully leaned back against the side of the shack.

Suddenly there was a loud clatter of metal falling that made Drake jump. He hurried around the side of the shack to where the sound had come from to find a female gnome's face staring up at him from within a pile of discarded metal. "Unless you want to try climbing over, wait here Cody," he said as he leaped up onto the chain link fence and proceeded to climb over.

He was instantly grateful that his normally exposed hand was wrapped in it's makeshift bandage. All of the metal that buried the little gnome seemed to have razor sharp edges. He slowly and carefully moved it piece by piece. After a few minutes of steady digging he managed to uncover the gnome.

"Thankyou.Name'sBrunildaVasga," the gnome said so fast that Drake almost didn't hear her. "Well,let'sgetinsidebeforethatdamnedDibbetseesme," she said, shooing Drake towards the back door of the shack.

"I'll meet you at the front door," he called to Cody through the fence. He hurried inside and unlocked the door for his friend.

Post by Cody on

Cody jumped at the loud clatter, his muscles were tense and ready to run away from the shack for a moment, but his eyes followed Drake. He followed Drake as far as the gate, relieved to see it wasn't the sound of someone coming after them, only a gnome that had gotten trapped under some metal. Well...not that he was relieved she was possibly hurt...just that she wasn't about to hurt him.

Cody nodded to Drake silently as he watched him go over the fencing, and his eyes went back to the gnomes. Cody stayed in place for the most part, shifting restlessly at being separated and unhelpful.

When the gnome started speaking Cody straightened up more to stare at it wondering how anything could possibly talk that fast. Cody nodded silently to Drake's comment but it took him a while to head to the front of the house as he watched them head to the back. No one should talk that fast...no one should be able to talk that fast..

Still, Cody did eventually turn around and head towards the front door. Once he heard the click of it unlatching he opened it and walked in. He stopped at the entrance to look the place over. He'd just seen a pile of metal fall on someone outside...he was cautious as he entered making sure there was nothing he believed would be a danger inside.

Post by Drake on

"Are you sure you're fine," Drake said to the fast talking gnome.

"Yesyes,stopworryin'overme.Si'downwouldyou," the little gnome spouted back as Drake tried to check her over for gashes and cuts. After his mind had time to separate her words, he did as she told him and sat in one of the grubby little chairs. "Hey!" Brunilda shouted bouncing in her chair. "Irememberyou!Youorderedthoseweird
tubesfrompa!" Drake's eyes widened at the exclamation. "Ohsureya'remember.Those
longshinytubesforcatchingmagicalbein'san'stuff."

"No, I can't say I do. Perhaps your father is still around and could remind me." He was starting to get hopeful. Everything else had come so easily, why wouldn't this?

"Nope....pa died a few months ago," it was quite obvious from the exaggerated slowing of her speech that her father's death still haunted her. Drake couldn't let it end there though.

"Do you remember why I had your father make the tubes then?"

"No,butIrememberthatyouweredoin'someworkforamageatthetime." Drake was even more puzzled now. Was it the same mage that had caused his memory lose. He almost missed what Brunilda said next. "....say'elivesinsomecaveinthewoods." He had to know what she had said.

"I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" he asked in his most pleading of tones.

"Isaid.....somefolksaroundtownsaythey'veseen'im,say'eslivininacavesomewherein
thewoods."

"Great," he thought, "more information we have to chase after."

"Well, I think we best be moving on," Drake said, more as a signal to Cody than to announce that he was about to leave to the gnome.

"Youmighttryaskin'Maximoatthesmithey'sifyou'relookinforthamage," he heard Brunilda shout as he walked out the front door of the shack.

Post by Cody on

Ok...she had just way to much energy. Cody knew he could get excitable but at least when he talked people could easily understand what he said. Her energy alone was cause to be edgey...she was too unpredictable. It was hard to keep up with what she was saying for another thing, nor was he sure if he wanted to bother.

What he did catch easier was from Drake, they were going searching for something else....well somehow that didn't seem too surprising. He nodded as Drake said it was time to go and followed after him quickly. The second they were out the front door he had to whisper to Drake, "Could you actually understand what she was saying?"

Post by Drake on

"Just barely," he said to Cody as he set off in the direction of The Drunken Rat tavern. The smithy's shop was near the tavern if he was remembering correctly.

Follow Drake and Cody back to here
http://www.tharshaddin.com/rp/viewtopic.php?t=1145&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

Return to Industrial District