Below is a mishmash of Loyalists, aristocrats and a rogue battlemage. Enjoy!
The Loyalists are an official faction of guards dedicated to the removal of treason, sedition, and rebellion. Where the rebellion is involved, expect them to be the first to look into it. They specialize in investigation and information, though are not exclusively limited to such.
And currently, they are very few in number. So we’re going to fix that! Paragon will provide plenty of threads for these characters, especially in the wake of Navarre’s Gala. After all, those cheeky rebels have every intention of bombing the justice hall while everyone is enjoying that lovely party. Someone is going to need to investigate such a horrific breach of etiquette, and these lucky Loyalist fellows will be the ones.
So we need to get them in stable hands as soon as possible! If Paragon is allowed to run around uninhibited, who even knows what further atrocities those guys could commit. The Loyalists want you!
I'd give the usual "names are free to change" line, but Karesen Vonstadt's needs to be kept where it is! Enjoy!
Taken By Colours!
Name: Braken Tenil
Purpose: Torturin’ Seditionists!
Species: Elf, quarter Human
Age: forties, fifties, sixties
- Kind of a loser! Easy to push around socially!
- Great with anatomy, be it as a torturer or field medic! Always carries medical supplies!
- Doesn't like to torture people, but does it anyways because he's incredibly submissive!
- Grins or laughs in response to stress, making him look insane!
- Buds with Toad!
- Has complicated family lines/relations which connect him to many elves (and possibly humans) in the community? Perhaps they could be useful if only he knew how to use them?
- How did someone so underwhelming wind up in the guard at all? Did someone pressure him into it? From there, how did he get into the Loyalists? Consider something traumatic, maybe something that also prompted him to learn to heal? Who taught him?
- Desperately needs the support of others? Prefers it when others speak for him, even if his views do not actually align?
- Worried about Teonidus judging his crimes, and overcompensates when off the job through volunteer work at the hospital? People at the hospital think he is just a humble nice guy?
Name: Karesen Vonstadt
Purpose: Stabbin’ Traitors!
- Ravenna's little brother, the second youngest out of eight!
- An incredible prodigy with sword & buckler, but little battle experience!
- Overeager to be a hero, ideally in a shallow, self-important fashion!
- Perhaps too idealistic? Infectious idealism?
- Sees heroism in terms of combat? Sees the world in black and white? Thinks that individual strength of arms = right?
- Feels personally offended by rebels who accuse his system of oppression, even though he has never met one?
- How does he interact with Ravenna, who basically raised him and his brothers? What does he think of Garahien, their father, who went mad and destroyed their family name?
Taken By Kat!
Name: Reku “Toad” Shinga
Purpose: Punchin’ Rebels!
Age: late twenties, early thirties
- Skilled at dodging and being sneaky!
- Really, really ugly! But also friendly, and has embraced his derogatory nickname.
- Puradyne! Eastern heritage with no family history with the religion: a convert!
- Buds with Braken!
- Not quite a synevive family? Something of a grey area?
- Something motivated him to become a puradyne, but what? Was it something big and magical, or something more personal?
- Parts of family still back East? How’s relations? Bilingual? Considering missionary work there against the advice of puradyne leaders?
- Crude or eloquent? Can switch between the two as the situation demands?
- Funky side skills! Worked in the theater and can whip up disguises? Has been mapping Marn's undergound? Well read? A poet?
His Current NPC Description:
A slim, short man with an ugly face and a happy grin, he’s not what one would expect of the mainstream guard. In the loyalists, he seems to fit right in. He has slick, unkempt dark hair and a lithe yet muscled appearance, along with ancestry from somewhere in northern Tian Xia.
He is ugly, and there is no dodging the fact. He has a wide, drawn out face, scratched up with tiny scars and strange little bumps. He has a weird, long nose and slim, beady eyes. His appearance gave him his nickname, Toad, which he has long since embraced. He even introduces himself by the Toad rather than his given name.
He’s good in a tight spot. The other Loyalists wonder how such a small man can take so much abuse, but he can. His thin, wiry build lets him bend around sword strikes in ways that seem almost inhuman, and he has a detailed comprehension of grabs, disarms and hand-to-hand which he uses to take people off guard. His weapon of choice is a standard issue short sword.
He is a surprisingly moral-minded person, and tends to dodge personally performing unscrupulous activities with humor and wit. However, he also doesn’t stop other guards from doing whatever petty villainies they please. His morality likely stems from an idealistic belief in puradyne doctrine. Though there is no indication of family history with the religion, he visits the temple frequently to worship Teonidus.
He joined the Loyalists for better pay, and was eager to put his type of fighting talent to better use than as a big armored meat shield.
Have a pretty picture!