Cooperative Fiction

Skip to content

October News

October News

Post by Frug on

Sorry if you were gonna make a news item, Kat. I thought I'd get this out now since October's almost over and soon it'll be All Hallows' Eve.

You may have noticed the look of the forums has been changing a bit, along with the setting pages. I've been doing a lot of work on the wiki to make it easier to navigate, grouping things together into related categories and so on. This has proved to be difficult to find a solution for, but it's finally shaping up to be quite usable. As for the look of things, that's still under construction a bit.

The most obvious changes are on pages like Marn ( http://www.tharshaddin.com/wiki/Marn ) where there is now a navbox on the bottom that lists a bunch of related pages. Gradually all the important pages will get this treatment, and then finding something you need should be that much easier. Don't forget to use the search feature of the wiki because it will find everything. It's now on the left, below the navigation box. If you need to find something, your first move should be to search for it in there. It now autocompletes your search text as well.

The staff has been doing a lot of work on the setting in general, and thanks to Kat, Ree, Meesha and Stella, we've got a queue of things to go through from the world development section of the forums. This work is long overdue (because I didn't do it) but we're on it.

I've started archiving some old accounts that haven't been used in years by making them inactive, emptying their inboxes and subscribed threads. 28k posts is not really that big for a database (it's around 100 megs in size), but clearing up old accounts helps a couple of things. Firstly, the search feature isn't working right because phpBB is crashing when I try to run the indexer, and also I end up getting email alerts from inactive accounts. Archived accounts will have gray names and they won't take PMs anymore. If by some chance I archive your account, you'll need to ask me for it back.

The rule that we never delete your posts or accounts (if you've made at least 10 ic posts) hasn't changed... although the rule may change in the future about accounts themselves. I don't want to muck about with that rule, but accounts really aren't important if they're not used. They can always be remade.
The world is an arena, not a stage. RP is a stage, not an arena.

Re: October News

Post by Saruna on

The rest of October's now belated news!

*coughcoughFrugforgotaboutJasonbecauseofJason'sbadinternetcough*

SETTING

**Member contributed setting updates will always first run through the world dev subforum. If you wish for your setting work to go into official setting via the wiki, please inform a staff member through chat or pm and it will be reviewed.**

hold on, we're in for a wild ride...

Okay, so before I get to actual setting changes I want to clear up the whole magical species thing, because I've been misinterpreting things from the mod meetings and then disseminating my bad information like a bad mod (bad kat :( ) -- so to fix the misinformation, I'm just going to plop it here. Too, that way if I still have something wrong one of the other mods or frug can correct me. (Also the time we previously discussed it all the other mods were drunk enough that they were pretty much agreeing with everything I said >>)

The Astral Plane has existed forever alongside the planet. All magical species besides humans have not. The species besides humans were created from the magical energies of human imagination interacting with the leakage from the Astral Plane as the original seal weakened. Therefore: gnomes, dwarves and elves are not descended from humans. They are purely magical in origin.

Now, when we had the discussion on interbreeding going on, Frug's intention was never to stifle mixing the various species and prevent people from creating what they want to create (within reason and without breaking the setting). So there won't be limits on what is and isn't possible with interbreeding just as there aren't limits in regards to creating some really whacked out shit. We kinda got off topic in that world dev discussion -- we were supposed to be talking about common weaknesses for certain mixed-species mixes to use as general suggestions for character creation. So if you want to reopen that discussion and offer some ideas, please feel free to do so.

Second thing! I will be closing the Oct-Nov province naming contest to suggestions and opening up voting hopefully sometime today. If you at all care about certain names you like over names you don't, please participate in the voting. Just to be clear, this is something that will permanently affect the setting as well as open concrete regions up for people to more confidently develop. Information about how to vote and all of that will be in the thread update (hoping to get to it around lunch).

Please note: if you have any updates or additions to any of the family pages (especially if you know of a family member not listed who is being played as a NPC or PC), please post it in world dev.

Note two: The Race page has been renamed to Species, and all ooc references to race will, from now on, be made according to rl standards (things genetically distinct enough to be considered a different species will be called species, whereas if it is superficial distinctions such as we humans make between each other, then it will be considered race).

New Pages:

Sahuli : consider this a work in progress, eh?
Marn Puradyne : taken from the previous religion and culture page and moved onto its own.
Morrington : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Oslun : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Vincas: moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Moryldar : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Vyaduka : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Sehkhara : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Merynir : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Katona : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Malatrast : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Mornir : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Calder : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Cottrel : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Marquelis : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Chronomantique : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Markus : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Vondstadt : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Abernathy : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Modestine : moved from Marn Politics into its own page.
Human : moved from Species into its own page.
Vampire : moved from Species into its own page.
Elf : moved from Species into its own page.
Dwarf : moved from Species into its own page.
Gnome : moved from Species into its own page.
Fairy : moved from Species into its own page.
Troll : moved from Species into its own page.
Shifter : moved from Species into its own page.

splitting post due to restriction on number of links per post.

Post by Saruna on

Category:Marn: To better help find Marn related pages!

Template:Marn_Navbox: This should appear in Marn related pages to help make navigation easier.

Category:Places: To help find places in and around the setting, in Marn and to the wider world beyond.

Marn (purely as an example: The City infobox! At the top right you'll notice a little template with an overview of a few at-a-glance stats. Frug made this for us to use in any city in the setting!

Category:Species: To make finding species that have been made setting canon a little bit easier. Should see a few more popping in here in the next few months as we work through processing World Dev posts. :D

Map, as an example: If you look to the upper left, you should see a little 'show' button -- Frug made it so that you can show or hide the navbox in order to expand or shrink the map.

Keltaris : In all its unfinished glory!

Edited Pages:

Species: A name change and a fancy new table. There might have been a few bits of information changed, but nothing drastic.

Active Character List: More updates to reflect current character standings. Also, Meesh added in a new Magic and Non Magic character stat for ooc use. :) Surprisingly, we have more non magical characters than magical! You low fantasy nerds, you.

Marn Politics: The family descriptions were moved into their own pages. What is left is a list of descendant and synevive families, with the most powerful at the top and the least at the bottom. Mornir is presently incomplete, and therefore their place in the list is not representative of actual power. It should also be noted that lists of names were taken from Synevive, Descendant, and Titre pages to reduce redundant information.

Ayana : An update to the general overview to better help understand the chaotic situation that is happening over there. Ayana was originally meant to be a dumping ground for anything that didn't fit in the rest of the setting; we've had a few players (who aren't around any more) insinuate that the whole american continent was something like what the US would be like in the 1700s + magic and usually + some sort of catastrophic event. This is to better help new players understand Ayana's nature.

Staff: Intended Upcoming Projects & Wiki Updates for November

As we have a lot of leftovers we're going to hold off on some of the newer things we want to develop

Leftovers from October:

Pretana writeup (this will likely take a few months, as it's Meesh's love child and she is busier than a bee)
Corezo politics & economy update
Marn-specific timeline
Super secret rp project hopefully to be ready by November or December
Add the syn & descendant love/hate/claustrophobia maps to the politics page.
Frug is going to make the descendant family political view graph easily editable with NAMES ON HOVER! cool beans.
Frug is gonna recode the Marn Govt structure and Guard structure in html so it can be more easily viewed
Sooquoi Plains nomadic tribe culture first writeup (likely eta Nov/Dec)

New stuff:

Cleanup of Eyropa Med-centered timeline
Cleanup of magical Puradyne drug writeup to put into wiki
Wikifying Hayawani-Teule from World Dev.
Wikifying Ghiyiri from World Dev.

Players: Ongoing Projects

I thought it might be cool to have a section for ongoing player projects, because you guys are amazing. Also to help encourage people to look through some of the neat stuff in world dev. If any of these are complete and ready to prepare for the wiki, please let a member of the staff know!

Marn's First Settlement: Ispoli
The Corezan Port City of Qadis
Corezo: The Society of Negotiated Loyalties
South America stuff, however the hell you spell it
Noituratan, City of the Dead
Tianlong Family
Nian Shou Pirate Fleet

Discussion & Brainstorming

I'm going to have to do another update at home for this as all my notes are at home.

If anyone sees something I missed please let me know!

Happy writing!

Post by Niabi on

I am also planning a write up for the Darleone port city of...Aelali sai Aesydae (Darn you Ree and your elf names).
Killer of Squirrels

Post by Metarie on

BUWAHAHAHA!!

Post by Katona on

Niabi wrote:I am also planning a write up for the Darleone port city of...Aelali sai Aesydae (Darn you Ree and your elf names).

Make sure they have a mayor named George.

Post by Farius Masello on

Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl.

Post by Diego on

Farius Masello wrote:Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl.

Gesundheit!

You know, if you keep on sneezing like that, you might want to see a doctor.

Post by Niabi on

I will also be working on A Shim Farmer's Guide to Produce and a write up on local ales, their ingredients and brewmaking techniques.
Killer of Squirrels

Post by Frug on

Farius Masello wrote:Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl Tzalxochitl.

It took a bit of research to come up with that SO YOU RESPECT IT

I wasn't disrespecting D: I was making fun of Kat.

Post by Frug on

Banned

no you

Post by Saruna on

Matt gets in trouble for my casual disregard? I'm okay with this. :twisted:

Return to Announcements