Nikolai Gyfford

Nikolai Gyfford

Post by Olivia on

Player Name: Olivia

Name: Nikolai Gyfford

Race: human

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 118 pounds

Physical Description: dark brown curly hair, brown eyes, pale skin, freckles, scrawny body

Possessions: An old ring around his neck attached by a string and an old dagger for protection.

Powers or Strengths: Nikolai has been known for his speed. Since he is scrawny, he is able to run and dodge things quickly. He is also known for causing bad luck to others if he is near them. Sometimes it happens by accident, other times it may be intentional. Whatever the case, Nikolai has been able to save himself from a few quick calls due to this bad luck that brushes onto others. He later found out that he was the one causing bad luck to others. He wasn’t yet sure how he was able to do this, but he figured it was some kind of magic for he could sometimes cause bad luck at will. Sometimes he couldn’t control it which upset him because he tended to cause bad luck to innocent people. Once, the bad luck he caused accidentally set two huts on fire just by Nikolai walking past a lit torch. The wind started to pick up and the fire from the torch rose up and started the roof of a hut on fire. Then the fire moved to the hut next to the one already on fire. By the time the fire was put out, three houses had been destroyed. Nikolai never walked in that area of town ever again.

Weaknesses: Nikolai doesn’t talk much. It’s not that he doesn’t have anything to say, it’s just that he doesn’t trust people ever since his parents abandoned him at the age of four. Due to these traits, he is often overlooked for potential. Nikolai is very skinny since he lives in a small hut on his own. He barely gets by due to the small amount of money he has. He is often left without much to eat and relies on some of the kind townfolk to offer him food. Since he doesn’t eat much, Nikolai has trouble keeping his energy up. He helps out on a farm from time to time so he can get food, but the physical strain takes its toll on him.

History: Nikolai was abandoned in his home by his birth parents at the age of four. Why he was abandoned, he will probably never know. He does have a hard time trusting people due to this, but once he begins to trust the person, he becomes very loyal to him/her.

Nikolai lived in a home with a nice elderly couple until he was thirteen. After he turned thirteen, the elderly woman, Gladys Gyfford, passed away. This made Mr. Gyfford very upset. Nikolai tried to keep Lewis Gyfford happy and healthy but Lewis wouldn’t take care of himself due to grief. Eventually, Lewis died soon after Nikolai’s fourteenth birthday.

Nikolai had trouble coping with the loss of his foster parents for they had been so kind to him. He fell into a state of depression, surviving on the food that was currently in the house. He wouldn’t leave the house for a few months until he needed money for food.

At the time, his childhood friend, Leonard Bradeshaw, was checking up on him on a daily basis. He was worried about his friend and wanted to make sure he was taking care of himself. Leonard would bring food over to Nikolai from time to time but he couldn’t offer much for his family was a bit poor. Nikolai was thankful for Leonard, though. Leonard helped Nikolai get back on his feet.

Leonard and Nikolai had known each other since Nikolai started living with the Gyffords. They did everything together. They were known as partners in crime to the Gyffords and Bradeshaws. Leonard and Nikolai were also schooled together. They were taught by Leonard’s mother and Gladys from time to time.

Nikolai still lives in the small hut that the Gyffords raised him in. He also always has a cheap ring around his neck that he tied around his neck with string. It was once Gladys’s ring and is now Nikolai’s most cherished possession.

Nikolai helps out on a farm nearby as often as he can so he can get some money for food. He is very poor but doesn’t let that stop him from trying to live his dream. He wants to be a musician. Nikolai has been saving tiny amounts of money to buy an instrument he could play. He already has a good voice which he uses to earn extra change now and then by singing in the streets. Though he is shy and soft spoken, he somehow manages to win people’s hearts with his voice and kind spirit.

Nikolai hopes that one day he will become a musician and earn tons of money for singing and playing his instrument in many places in the town of Marn.
Last edited by Olivia on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Nikolai Gyfford

Post by Katona on

Welcome to Thar, Olivia!

I have a few little changes I'd like to see before this character gets approved. Firstly, could you expand on the bad luck he causes? Does he actually cause bad luck or is it just coincidence? If he really does, is it some kind of magic? Just elaborate on what it is and how the bad luck affects him, please.

One thing you might want to think about is that it's really hard to get RP if your character is too shy to speak to people. It would also be hard to get work if you couldn't talk to people, so you might want to consider changing that part around a little bit to make things easier for you as a writer? Maybe instead of making him shy (especially if he wants to be a performer), you could just make him someone who doesn't normally talk a lot.

Last thing: please add a little more about his childhood into the history. Maybe talk about his education, the kind of friends he's had, that kind of thing. Also add more to show how he feels about a lot of the events in his life, like the death of his foster parents and his current situation.

Thanks, Olivia. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. You can pm me or any of the other mods any time, or catch someone in chat. :)

Post by Olivia on

Sure! I'll get right on that! Thanks for the suggestions and advice! :D

Post by Katona on

No problem! Just remember to reply here when you're ready for another review.

Post by Olivia on

I hope I fixed Nikolai so that he fits your expectations lol. I italicized the parts that I changed and added.

Post by Katona on

Cool! Thanks, Olivia.

Just one more little thing though and it'll be ready to be approved. Add an example or two of what kind of "bad luck" he can cause, or has caused, to show the typical things it can do. That way people reading the app have an idea of how powerful it is. It's just worded a little too vaguely at the moment, so I need some idea of the limitations.

Post by Olivia on

Done :) Hope that's a good example...

Post by Katona on

Approved.

As a new member, we encourage you to be pro-active in finding a thread for your character. Hang out in chat and get to know people, or PM someone who you think might be fun to write with. There are a few places you might want to check out, and post in, to help you along:

Introduce Yourself
Characters Available for Plots
Plot Ideas & Looking For Characters

As always, feel free to PM myself or any other moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Return to Old Characters